Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MEXICO CITY (OSV News) — The drownings of three Mexican migrants in the Rio Grande has deepened a jurisdictional dispute between the U.S. federal and Texas state governments over responding to the wave of migrants and asylum-seekers irregularly crossing the U.S.-Mexico border.

But a Dominican brother working on the Mexican side of the border says drownings in the Rio Grande have become disturbingly routine as migrants cross a river that can appear deceptively calm and narrow.

“Some six or seven people have already died (this year) in the Rio Grande,” Dominican Brother Obed Cuellar, director of the Dignified Border Shelter in Piedras Negras, told OSV News. “The water is very cold at this time so when people enter the water and stay for several minutes, they suffer hypothermia.”

Continued below.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
These people have been duped to believe that crossing into the country is instant nirvana.
That said; the immigrants that have infiltrated are getting a free ride around this area.
And now governments are asking people to house them?

Nobody knows their criminal intent, background or propensity.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry that those people drowned.

But in all fairness, nobody asked them to wade the Rio Grande and enter this country illegally. If they hadn't been breaking the law, they'd be alive today.

That may sound callous, but there it is.

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0