Jul 7, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
✟794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I've heard a lot about metabolism and was hoping to get some things straightened out here.

First off, metabolism is the rate at which the body burns calories for energy, I've got that. And I know that severly reducing calories will make the body preserve calories, slowing the metabolism (starvation mode).

Alright, I came across this "one day diet." You are supposed to not eat anything for one day, excpet these provided "wafers" and fresh fruit when hungry. Then, the next day eat normal... so the body doesn't kick into starvation mode. They say that within a three-day span, you need to eat at least one day of normal calorie intake... that way your body won't think it's missing out on calories. Opinions, clarification... anything?

I suppose all in all, I'm trying to figure out just how your body goes into this starvation mode, and why is it so hard to get your metabolism back up to normal speed afterwards?

Also, does anyone know any site or something that explains in depth the way your body burns fat? How the cells release it ect? Or just info, ya know.

Thanks so much!

LoveJoy

Jan 15, 2006
Tacoma, Wa
✟15,360.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Krazy_4given_1 said:
Well, I've heard a lot about metabolism and was hoping to get some things straightened out here.

First off, metabolism is the rate at which the body burns calories for energy, I've got that. And I know that severly reducing calories will make the body preserve calories, slowing the metabolism (starvation mode).

Alright, I came across this "one day diet." You are supposed to not eat anything for one day, excpet these provided "wafers" and fresh fruit when hungry. Then, the next day eat normal... so the body doesn't kick into starvation mode. They say that within a three-day span, you need to eat at least one day of normal calorie intake... that way your body won't think it's missing out on calories. Opinions, clarification... anything?

I suppose all in all, I'm trying to figure out just how your body goes into this starvation mode, and why is it so hard to get your metabolism back up to normal speed afterwards?

Also, does anyone know any site or something that explains in depth the way your body burns fat? How the cells release it ect? Or just info, ya know.

Thanks so much!
Metabolism is the sum of all biochemical processes involved in life. It includes both building up (anabolism, or the construction of complex molecules) and breaking down (catabolism, or deconstruction). The "burning of calories" is really incidental, as these processes require energy, but that is really not the point.
Fact is, all the concepts put forth to explain how the body uses energy are just models, or ways of explaining the process that help with understanding, and that are based on our best evidence. None of them are completely accurate, and likely never will be.
Put "metablolic pathways" into google, and look for carbohydrate and fatty acid metabolism, and Krebbs or the Citric acid cycle. Armed with a little knowledge, you can go out and look for other sites that deal more directly with nutrition.
Then, you can come back and explain it all to me. PLEASE!!!

Upvote 0