• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Mental Illness Meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daddy-Boy

Nov 23, 2008
✟7,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi I am just wondering what advice you would give me over meds. I am on a lot of medication for Cardiomyopathy and since I was so sick 4 years in ICU for 2 months I have developed anxiety and depression which all seems pretty resistant to medications.

I am on some meds now which have stopped me shaking with fear and nightmares but I am still very low in spirit and anxiety lurks deep inside me.

Some of the trouble I have is trust and hope. To me these words are more like Nouns instead of Verbs and I don't know how to change that.

The positive side of the anti depressants I am currently on have just about come to an end, many other ones I have tried cause adverse side effects.

I am not about to go 'demon hunting' to cast those 'things' out (I thought that might have been the answer many years ago and it wasn't). I continue to pray and wait but it's all a bit too much. People say I carry the weight of the world on my shoulders and I know that is an absurd thing because God does that but I am a deep thinker and often reflect upon all the pain and suffering in this world. I do everything I can to alleviate others burdens but mine continue to grow where I now want to scream out!

SumMer87

Sep 13, 2008
✟7,834.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am glad you took the time to post, and moreover, I am sorry you are going through this. First if you havent already i would check out some books on this (amazon.com has a big selection). "Panic to Power" by Lucinda Bassett or I have heard Jamie Blythe has a good book on this as well. Personally..I would read some books on it to identify and learn and in conjuction let your loved ones know so they are not in the dark on what you are going through. if they don't understand, tell them to read the books....it really drives the point home for them because some know entities are describing it as well as yourself. I would also go to therapy....they will probably give you a few books to read as well and they might prescribe prescription if needed....not my call though as i am not a Dr., as far as i know anyway. Try to focus on the present and try to find a good friend or family member to talk to for sure...

Hope this helps.

Remember that the Bible is a great source of strength at any time in your life! Keep asking God these questions, Psalms are great for this- favorite would have to be Psalms 91. Good luck and God bless, He is so good.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2007
✟7,626.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the meds help you then it would seem wise to continue to take them. Only you really know if you are using them in the right manner. I often tell my clients that diabetics need to take their insulin or they would die - it is the same ideas for people taking anti anxiety or psychotropic meds, there ailment just is in the brain rather than the pancreas.

Upvote 0

Katryna

Jan 28, 2008
Illinois
✟7,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Another good book is "A Practical Workbook for the Depressed Christian" by Dr. John Lockley.

I have dealt with depression in my life as well, but I think in the case of the use of meds, it's important to recognized what *caused* the depression as well. If illness (and the possibility of facing life as an invalid, or facing the possibility of death) caused your depression and not chemical imbalances in your body, perhaps medication isn't going to be of much help -- perhaps talk therapy will help more. It only seems to make sense to me that if a chemical isn't causing the problem, then it isn't likely that a chemical is going to be the cure. I felt better when I stopped my anti-depressant, but to be sure, everyone is an individual and it may not be the same for all. If you are able to make other changes in your life, that may affect the outcome. You may need to try several things to find what works best for *you*.

Upvote 0

Echetus

Aug 21, 2008
✟731.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I suffered from depression as well. Im a deep thinker as well. However if you noticed I 'suffered' from depression, its gone now. What I did, now I understand these things are extremely complicated, and what worked for me may not work for you, is that I meditated on God day and night for about a month. I mean you think alot might as well be about God. I read the bible, thats probably the most important part. Read Genesis to duetronomy, and Mattew to Acts. Id suggest starting Mattew to Acts however, and then going on the genesis and Duetronomy.

Now Ive heard of medical related medications causing depression, so it sounds like you have a bad situation. But, by meditate I mean think, deep thought, question all of your beliefs, even the ones you know to be true. Read the bible, and pray. Reading the bible is so important, its extremely interesting, and youll battle your emotions while doing it. You may not want to read the bible, but you will, so as to further your relationship.

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I went into clinical depression and was put on various meds. Some were bad ones but I kept working with the doctors and they finally got the meds that worked very well with me. I take 200mg Zoloft daily and the depression was gone. But the the anxiety was still real bad. They put me on 200mg daily of lamotrigine and the anxiety disappeared. I have been taking them for some years now with no problems and I don't even know I'm taking them.

So I would suggest you do as GOD'S WORD directs and GIVE HEED TO THE PHYSCIAN.

I found that if I staying on the doctors if things weren't working got the ball rolling faster to the right balance.

DO NOT STOP OR START MEDS WITHOUT THE DOCTORS ADVICE AND EVEN THEN THEY OFTEN NEED TO BE REDUCED SLOWLY. There are lifetime disabilities and even death associated with these meds. These are very serious drugs. But the sure beet killing yourself to get rid of the extreme pain.

ALWAYS REMEMBER:

JESUS IS RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE AT!!! EVEN THOUGH YOU DON'T SEE HIM!!!

( left click and hold over the above to see your personal message )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daddy-Boy

Nov 23, 2008
✟7,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I saw the psychiatrist yesterday. He is a new one and decided I was on too much anti-depressant. I am on Avanza 75mg and the maximum dose is supposed to be 45mg but because I never stayed well on the lower doses other doctors increased the doses. Being 110kg they said it was a matter of body mass calculation.
Now that this medicine doesn't work I have to come off it slowly which will be about 3 weeks.
I spent 12 months last year with a Christian Psychologist and also group therapy about tackling the issue of my 'near death' experiences. I have the problem of both; so many things in life could have caused me to feel this way.
Abusive childhood with neglect and feeling abandoned. Becoming a Christian but spiraling into depression and drug use at the same time as knowing God's presence made me feel so guilty. A psychotic episode where I 'imagined' I saw Satan and was then terrified for 7 months. I had to return to my mother of all places to learn to live.
Then my beautiful wife who never drank, smoked or took drugs came along and it was like the perfect gift from God.
I got a lot better than our first baby died because of hospital negligence giving my wife a drug during labor which she was allergic to.
We both became depressed. She dealt with hers internally I drank alcohol.
We had baby 2 she is 5 now and like my wife the most beautiful gift from God. Then while my wife was pregnant with number 3 my health spiralled as I complained about my heart doctors kept telling me it's anxiety causing palpitations until I ended up in ICU full of fluid and they finally did a test on my heart which said it only functioned at 10%.

Since then I made a 'miracoulous' recovery having 1 year free with clear possitive thinking and 2 years later my heart was declared to function normally again when every doctor told me I would die or need a transplant.

But after 1 year clear thinking turned to panic. I have tried Zoloft (made me so gittery and paranoid) Lexapro worked for 5 months, Valium has worked well but I know it's addictiveness which is why I don't use every day. Amitryptiline made my heart race and docotrs didn't like the idea of a heart patient' s heart racing (it scared me as well). So the last thing I have tried has been Avanza and as I said above it has come to a holt.
The thing is when my mind is clear I know all the things in my life have happened with Jesus being there every step of the way but when I feel like I do I can't even function properly to take in the Bible or comprhend God's love longer than 5 minutes.

Upvote 0

Echetus

Aug 21, 2008
✟731.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Well I try to keep this to myself, but I have schizophrenia. When I would read the bible Id hear Satan criticizing me on my belief. I didnt yet believe myself, it all seemed like crap. But I read it anyways. I wanted to believe but I had no reason. Not to mention I was depressed and thinking about suicide alot. Hallucinations, depression, I couldnt even go threw Highschool they were so bad. I also thought I was a revelations character, so whenever there was a end time reference Id get bombarded with delusional thoughts. So I know what you mean when you say you dont have it in you to read the bible.

But, even if you read 5 minutes a day youd get to know Jesus, and his glory. His teachings are wise, God speaks like no other. I can think of no better divine medicine then the bible.

Upvote 0

FaithfulWife

Faithful wife to one
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2007
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
✟63,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
velvetBig.jpg

MOD HAT ON!

This is just a gentle moderator reminder to please refrain from giving specific medical advice. No one here is a doctor or psychiatrist, so please do not diagnose, offer treatment, prescribe over the counter herbs or medicines, or discourage someone from taking their prescriptions.

:thumbsup: Please DO encourage the use of the Christian faith to cope with problems and struggles, and please DO continue to be supportive and understanding! :hug: Please seek out real life professional services and local pastoral care in addition to asking for help here. THANK YOU! :angel:

MOD HAT OFF!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daddy-Boy

Nov 23, 2008
✟7,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you everybody and moderator!
I did receive some good support and advice. I am still feeling pretty much the same but I have been devouring encouragement from scripture, Christian friends and faith and thinking differently and 'knowing the truth' really does set you free as Jesus words say!

The Bible says to run the race like a winner [total paraphrasing] and I realize I might be in the 'Disabled Olympics' but I will run with my bungged up body and beat it for the sake of His glory!!!!!!!!!!!
(Next week I may need some more support! this my sense of humor in the face of fear lol)

Upvote 0
Dec 29, 2008
✟15,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you everybody and moderator!
I did receive some good support and advice. I am still feeling pretty much the same but I have been devouring encouragement from scripture, Christian friends and faith and thinking differently and 'knowing the truth' really does set you free as Jesus words say!

The Bible says to run the race like a winner [total paraphrasing] and I realize I might be in the 'Disabled Olympics' but I will run with my bungged up body and beat it for the sake of His glory!!!!!!!!!!!
(Next week I may need some more support! this my sense of humor in the face of fear lol)

Hang in there brother! Remember this race is not ran alone!

God bless you so much!

:liturgy:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.