Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ONe of my favourite moments as a Christian came doing a church event. I spoke to a mentally ill man who gave his life to the Lord. when we prayed with this man he said with a look of sheer joy on his face "God is tickling my heart".

Following that he did have an improvement in his condition but still suffered from mental illness. So yes a mentally ill person can be saved and be a Christian.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
So this is something I've been curious about for a long time. I never would have doubted that you can be a born again Christian and be mentally ill if someone hadn't told me otherwise. I know what I personally but, as a Christian with a mental illness, I'm interested in hearing what others have to say.
Do you believe that someone can be a born again Christian and yet still be mentally ill?

Edit: illnesses like, for example, depression or anxiety or schizophrenia, etc.

Yes, of course. Mental illness is no different from any other illness; would you ask whether someone with a broken leg could be a born again Christian? Or someone with heart disease? Cancer?

That is always the way to check whether a question about mental illness is a reasonable one. Very often it simply would not arise if talking about any other kind of condition, because mental illness carries a huge stigma along with it.

There is no difference. Christians can and do deal with any illness, any condition, that non Christians deal with.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
there are some "Christians" who claim mental illness is not real or it is caused by sin. I wouldn't stay in a church where that idea is put forth.

Those people have real problems; lack of compassion is a far worse condition than any mental illness. God help them if they happen to fall ill themselves. I don't wish it on them, but illness happens.

Upvote 0

Clintpauljohnson

Sep 10, 2017
windsor
✟29,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It can be detrimental to the treatment of a person with Major Depressive Disorder, especially if they are also burdened with Anxiety disorder to imply that God has not yet fulfilled his promise to the depressed person of peace, joy, and freedom. This implies the person is not ready, or has not yet earned God's peace. This makes them feel worse.

Yes. I struggle with that. But like God says forgive them for they know not what they are doing. Its a defect in them for they know no better.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
So this is something I've been curious about for a long time. I never would have doubted that you can be a born again Christian and be mentally ill if someone hadn't told me otherwise. I know what I personally but, as a Christian with a mental illness, I'm interested in hearing what others have to say.
Do you believe that someone can be a born again Christian and yet still be mentally ill?

Edit: illnesses like, for example, depression or anxiety or schizophrenia, etc.
Yes Megan, quite possible. Sometimes, they could be hereditary. The man born blind whom the Lord healed wasn't that way because he sinned, but so that the power of God could be demonstrated through him when the Lord healed him (John 9:2). God bless and stay healed :).

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2017
Indore
✟9,506.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They were all kinds of wrong. God wants ALL to hear the gospel and come to repentance and faith. All. That includes the mentally ill.
what is more important is that a person be able to overcome the evil spirits, which is really a sign of being born again, and this presupposes the presence/availability of true church to help or implies the existence of true faith in the person

Blessings
Mental illness does not necessarily caused by demonic forces. It may be due to dietary deficiency ( Vitamins and minerals), mood fluctuation, bipolarity, severe financial breakdown, childhood abuse, nervous system disorder etc. A born again christian can be a victim of Psychological depression. As we go through the lives of Elijah, David, Job, Jonah we clearly find some instances of Psychological depression. Mere men as we are, it is common for us to come across with those experiences in our practical lives. Even Jesus' disciples cried out frantically when they were on the verge of drowning because of the sudden and terrible gale.
I would like to make emphatically clear that those who are born again Christians need not doubt their spiritual blessings even when undergoing those types of mental sickness. Even if I go through the valley of deepest darkness, Lord I will not fear, for your shepherd's rod and staff protect me. Psalm 23:4

I also believe that those who are born again Christians could be touched by the demonic forces until they are under the shelter of Jesus Christ. Jesus himself promised to keep them safe from the devil. Let the Holy Spirit empower every born again christian to over come all sorts of depression and mental illness.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
To say that I'm not Christian because I have a mental illness. Is like saying I don't breathe because I don't need to. I am today, tomorrow, and forever a Christian. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank Jesus for every single thing he's done for me. I love Jesus with all my heart, soul, and mind. So yes, a Christian can be insane like me and still be a Christian. Can I get an amen?

Upvote 0

GUANO

Jul 3, 2013
Los Angeles
✟32,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course a Christian can suffer what is commonly called a mental illness but I wish the subject wasn't taboo among Christians. There is still not a single blood or urine test in this world that can identify a mental illness. It is not an illness or disease in any standard and the only way to identify one is to compare symptoms (thoughts and behaviors which are not symptoms) to a manual. New illnesses are added to the list by vote and also removed by vote. They are not things that can be measured using any scientific device and there is no reason that Christians should jump on the propaganda bandwagon and not join the debate and treatment as Christians have led in the treatment of such illnesses for over a thousand years until they rolled over like they have done on every other issue. Christians support chemical lobotomy using drugs over cognitive therapy which is valid treatment based on Christian values.

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Your mind, like your body is formed from earthly elements. They can become infected and impaired.
Your soul and the spirit that dwells within our of God. He will see you through, trust in him.
I pray you are under doctor supervision to take care of that body so you can lead your best life as you walk this earth.
He will be with you.

Reactions: megan_26
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

megan_26

Sep 22, 2017
USA
✟44,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I studied psychology in college. Plus I'm smarter than most people so that helps.

This is a rather arrogant thing to say. I too studied psychology in a college setting and it's very clear that mental illnesses are real things.
I didn't make this thread to debate whether or not mental illnesses are real. They are real, whether one chooses to believe in them or not.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think scripture does not always deliver on that promise with many who have crippling depression. Anyone with Major Depressive Disorder who has a relationship with God And Is an active member of congregation will experience peace, and joy, and freedom from fear for a moment an afternoon or even for a few days toa week but if it's the real thing it will be backand when people tell them they are in the wrong or not doing God's will because of this affliction that they never asked for it only hurts them inside cause they can't help how they feel

So, you think "crippling depression" is immune to God's power and promises? Your god is not the God of the Bible, it would seem. With God nothing is impossible. Not even curing crippling depression.

God does not work in half-measures. He fully fulfills His promises to us. When He heals, the person is fully healed.

It takes the adoption of certain kinds of thinking to bring a person into bondage to anxiety and depression. Until that thinking is rooted out and a person's thought-life is brought into obedience to Christ, their depression and anxiety will persist. Freedom from such things is possible. I'm living proof.

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Mental illness does not necessarily caused by demonic forces. It may be due to dietary deficiency ( Vitamins and minerals), mood fluctuation, bipolarity, severe financial breakdown, childhood abuse, nervous system disorder etc. A born again christian can be a victim of Psychological depression. As we go through the lives of Elijah, David, Job, Jonah we clearly find some instances of Psychological depression. Mere men as we are, it is common for us to come across with those experiences in our practical lives. Even Jesus' disciples cried out frantically when they were on the verge of drowning because of the sudden and terrible gale.
I would like to make emphatically clear that those who are born again Christians need not doubt their spiritual blessings even when undergoing those types of mental sickness. Even if I go through the valley of deepest darkness, Lord I will not fear, for your shepherd's rod and staff protect me. Psalm 23:4

I also believe that those who are born again Christians could be touched by the demonic forces until they are under the shelter of Jesus Christ. Jesus himself promised to keep them safe from the devil. Let the Holy Spirit empower every born again christian to over come all sorts of depression and mental illness.

the primary(elemental) cause of all evil things is spirits and forces of the "darkness", while elementary particles/units such as atoms, molecules, vitamins, biological cells, biological/body organs, brain, body systems, nervous system, etc. are physical creations of the true God as well as harmless structural particals/units, and fundamentally shouldn't, or to be more precise and direct, don't cause problems (by themselves), for example, John the Baptist had not eaten anything for most of the time (He only ate wild honey and locusts from time to time very rarely - only when he found some in the wilderness where he lived), but didn't suffer from any nutritional deficiency such as avitaminosis or hypovitaminosis

"sin"(a.k.a. "satan", "beast(666)", etc.) causes delusion(s), while "death" causes deterioration(s) such as vulnerability to things (such as high temperature, burning, freezing temperatures, injury, infection, trauma, etc.), diseases, illnesses, syndromes, mental disorders/deviations, depression, desolation, poverty, unfavorable rot/decay, unfavorable aging, etc. - if all such spirits are removed from the world, then there will no longer be any evil (thing) with any person in the world

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, you think "crippling depression" is immune to God's power and promises? Your god is not the God of the Bible, it would seem. With God nothing is impossible. Not even curing crippling depression.

God does not work in half-measures. He fully fulfills His promises to us. When He heals, the person is fully healed.

It takes the adoption of certain kinds of thinking to bring a person into bondage to anxiety and depression. Until that thinking is rooted out and a person's thought-life is brought into obedience to Christ, their depression and anxiety will persist. Freedom from such things is possible. I'm living proof.
Would you agree that it takes time to heal?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I have questions for those who claim.. all you have to do is have enough faith and all your ailments will be cured.
How much faith?
How do you measure faith?
When you see sick people, do you see them as not as worthy as you?
Is it not possible that God allows life to happen?
That we are not given promises of the flesh and earthly treasures?
That instead he will be our comforter, and companion..Till we meet face to face.

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
This is a rather arrogant thing to say. I too studied psychology in a college setting and it's very clear that mental illnesses are real things.
I didn't make this thread to debate whether or not mental illnesses are real. They are real, whether one chooses to believe in them or not.

God blessed me with wisdom and I believe he wants me to use it to help others even if a few proud people feel upset that their ego is wounded. We don't need to debate it but new Christians should know that mental illnesses are not real diseases regardless of what some people choose to believe.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God blessed me with wisdom and I believe he wants me to use it to help others even if a few proud people feel upset that their ego is wounded. We don't need to debate it but new Christians should know that mental illnesses are not real diseases regardless of what some people choose to believe.
I believe people can develop mental illness, such as PTSD for example. When people experience great hardship they can become mentally ill. Jesus can help them, but it takes time to learn how to lean upon the Lord.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

I never said depression can't be rooted out through prayer and meditation. In fact, it is likely the only way someone will find relief from their depression is finding a spiritual connection with their higher power along with the lifestyle changes that are all encouraged by immersing yourself in the middle of Christian life. Surrounding yourself with people who care about you and not isolating is also absolutely essential to recovery along with the emotional uplifting, moral guidance and freedom from feelings of guilt and shame that many depression sufferers feel as they allow God to take their burden and provide them with a new life of discipleship. I'm not doubting the incredible miraculous recoveries people have had and continue to have every day. This possibility is not in question.

What I am stating is that is does not happen to or for everyone that way. Some people completely give themselves over to God and their church, volunteer, sing, praise, meet with their Pastor/Priest on a regular basis, have a spiritual director, attend the Bible Study, become very knowledgeable in the word, and surround themselves with friends from church and positive thinkers and do everything they are told. They even sign up for missions to bring the Gospel to other because of the spiritual rewards and emotional rewards it brings.

For some people, once everyone has said goodnight, stopped singing, closed their Bibles and gone to their beds, they lay in bed and cry and ask God what's wrong with me? How come I am not happy like everybody else is happy? Why can't I get that same feeling that the others seem to be getting?

Some of these people even think about suicide because it is another symptom of depression. When one of these people finally has a nervous breakdown nobody knows where it came from because when they told somebody they didn't feel like doing anything or told somebody they felt depressed, or maybe felt like quitting the choir or Bible Study cause they just didn't feel good and were tired all the time, they were told that's just the devil or they need to spend more time looking up Bible passages and if they just doA B and C God will take all of those bad feelings away.

Someof that may be true but they may also need to see a doctor about depression. I have seen it before, people that you never know were hurting were hiding a debilitating depression and maybe cut themselves to relieve the pain or turn to drugs or other risky behavior for a temporary relief. Some end up committing suicide because nobody around them could see the signs of their misery, they took it lightly, or they blamed the person for their feelings as if they could control them

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I understand that you feel the gift of discernment on this matter and there is nothing you need to learn on this topic, however what you are espousing can be dangerous for somebody who is truly suffering and not seeking help because they believe they can't find relief for their symptoms in the medical community.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.