mental illness and christianity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Just our spirits. Our bodies and minds can definitely be demonized.

I see. And we have to get an exorcism to get the demons to leave? You said that mental illness is caused by demons so if I got an exorcism would I be cured?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see. And we have to get an exorcism to get the demons to leave?
That is the usual way.
You said that mental illness is caused by demons so if I got an exorcism would I be cured?
That is NOT what I said.
I said a minority of cases of mental illness may include demonization. "MAY"

And even if it does, the illness itself is organic and needs to be treated separately, no matter the source of the illness.

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So this is something I've been curious about for a long time. I never would have doubted that you can be a born again Christian and be mentally ill if someone hadn't told me otherwise. I know what I personally but, as a Christian with a mental illness, I'm interested in hearing what others have to say.
Do you believe that someone can be a born again Christian and yet still be mentally ill?

Edit: illnesses like, for example, depression or anxiety or schizophrenia, etc.

Many here have given good responses. I only comment to explicitly add encouragement. Christians can have various types of illnesses, trauma, and injuries, both physical and mental; and indeed, many do.

Sometimes people experience healing or improvement; other times it is a thorn in the flesh (referring to whatever Paul had that afflicted him) that is there for life. Neither one is a reflection of whether you are a "good" Christian or not.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So this is something I've been curious about for a long time. I never would have doubted that you can be a born again Christian and be mentally ill if someone hadn't told me otherwise. I know what I personally but, as a Christian with a mental illness, I'm interested in hearing what others have to say.

Do you believe that someone can be a born again Christian and yet still be mentally ill?

Absolutely.....And thank goodness that God understands all things.

Upvote 0

Clintpauljohnson

Sep 10, 2017
windsor
✟29,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With my schizo-affective bi polar type I feel in tuned at times to God. I like alot of Joyce Meyers books about the mind and enjoy studying psychology books. Where the mind goes the man follows. I think that is how it goes. It's like a person judging a fish on it ability to climb a tree of course the fish will think it's stupid if you judge and label him.

The mind is the battlefield. And ultimately you control it with the help of God.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

This is a dangerous topic. There are many who believe mental health is solely for professionals such as licensed counselors, psychologists, and psychiatrists to determine. What is dangerous is that they have legal backing that can make any contrary opinion liable. In those professions there is no acknowledgment of God, a change in life by the new birth, or even demonic influences.

Also, for those such as your self, who believe they have mental illness while being a Christian, comments will be negatively received and denied, so there is little use discussing it. My wife, for example, has known the Lord for 40 years and believes she has ADD. I have tried telling her otherwise, but have stopped commenting because she firmly believes she has a disorder.

What I will say is this. When you have the new birth your spirit is recreated and joined to the Lord, but our soul and bodies remain the same. We are exhorted to not be conformed to this world but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. That process of mind renewal is up to us. We draw our own boundaries of how much of the Gospel we will believe.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Anyone who can join a Christian Church can call themselves a Christian regardless of Mental status, criminal history, job status etc.. If you can sign the papers, you can be a Christian.
Of the visable church ;) Jesus was stigmatized with those whom He called friends from those who sat on the seat of Moses. A deeper look than that is needed.

• Agree
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of the visable church ;) Jesus was stigmatized with those whom He called friends from those who sat on the seat of Moses. A deeper look than that is needed.
Correct. I was only speaking of the visible church.... as this seems to be the topic of the OP and most of the Posts thus far.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a dangerous topic. There are many who believe mental health is solely for professionals such as licensed counselors, psychologists, and psychiatrists to determine. What is dangerous is that they have legal backing that can make any contrary opinion liable. In those professions there is no acknowledgment of God, a change in life by the new birth, or even demonic influences.

Also, for those such as your self, who believe they have mental illness while being a Christian, comments will be negatively received and denied, so there is little use discussing it. My wife, for example, has known the Lord for 40 years and believes she has ADD. I have tried telling her otherwise, but have stopped commenting because she firmly believes she has a disorder.

What I will say is this. When you have the new birth your spirit is recreated and joined to the Lord, but our soul and bodies remain the same. We are exhorted to not be conformed to this world but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. That process of mind renewal is up to us. We draw our own boundaries of how much of the Gospel we will believe.
We are to put on the Mind of Christ......so the questions is.....Can the Mind of Christ be ill? But this is out of the scope of this thread.....which seems to be mainly focused on the joining of a Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Absolutely, without question, yes, you can be a born again believer when you have a mental illness. It's easier to "work out" your salvation (as Paul says) if you are being treated, though.

God's peace be with you. :)

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have had clinical depression since I was six years old, and developed PTSD as I grew up. God can heal and comfort, and He does. He is capable of just making it all go away, but there appear to be things He wants me to learn from the struggle. He could just pick me up and place me on top of the mountain. But wouldn't I be stronger if I climbed it myself, and He guided my steps?

(edited for typo)

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does it matter what we think? You believe in Jesus; therefore, you are a Christian. Don't let people make you feel like you are less a child of God because you have a mental illness. It's not up to us to tell you what you are. God knows who you are, and He loves you just as much as He loves any other believer.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are to put on the Mind of Christ......so the questions is.....Can the Mind of Christ be ill? But this is out of the scope of this thread.....which seems to be mainly focused on the joining of a Church.
You know the answer.
2Ti_1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

• Agree
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I carry the crosses of
Nowhere in the NT or the Gospels is sickness of any kind called a "cross" to bear. Bearing your cross means self denial, as does dying daily means self denial. Jesus healed all that were willing to be healed. He never made anyone sick.

2Ti_1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am sorry. I did not mean to cause offence by it.
I just call them that in my head as stumbling blocks to overcome, like thorns in my side, virtual stubbed toes. Just a family phrase really.

I do not blame God for my disabilities or illnesses I thank Him for the opportunity of being humbled and overcoming them. Did I say that I hope not if I did I am sorry again. Please forgive me!

Nowhere in the NT or the Gospels is sickness of any kind called a "cross" to bear. Bearing your cross means self denial, as does dying daily means self denial. Jesus healed all that were willing to be healed. He never made anyone sick.

2Ti_1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.​

Reactions: RC1970
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am sorry. I did not mean to cause offence by it.
I just call them that in my head as stumbling blocks to overcome, like thorns in my side, virtual stubbed toes. Just a family phrase really.

I do not blame God for my disabilities or illnesses I thank Him for the opportunity of being humbled and overcoming them. Did I say that I hope not if I did I am sorry again. Please forgive me!
I took no offense, just trying to keep a biblical perspective. Your attitude is commendable.

Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All praise goes to God! Without Him reigning my pride in I would be a walking diaster area, well way more than I am already!

I took no offense, just trying to keep a biblical perspective. Your attitude is commendable.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It may be harder to be a Christian and be mentally ill, but anyone can be a Christian.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.