Memories which qualify me to be a Golden Eagle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotherOfPromise

Jan 8, 2005
The South
✟26,336.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Latreia said:

QUOTE] 15. S&H Green Stamps - Weren't there another kind of stamps Gold Bond, or something. The catalogs were really funny, items with no prices, just number of books required. My Mother went ape.

With S&H Green Stamps my mother in law and I saved together and got a baby cradle for my oldest daughter who is 36 now. Her three sisters used it after that and each of her own children after that. She still has it.:)

[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

fieldlily

God heals and restores!
Mar 7, 2005
USA
✟26,824.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Latreia said:
Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about! Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum

2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water

3. Candy cigarettes

4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles

5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes

6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers

7. Party lines

8. Newsreels before the movie

9. P.F. Flyers

10. Butch wax

11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Chestnut-6933)

12. Peashooters

13. Howdy Doody

14. 45 RPM records

15. S&H Green Stamps

16. Hi-fi's

17. Metal ice trays with lever

18. Mimeograph paper

19. Blue flashbulb

20. Packards

21. Roller skate keys

22. Cork popguns

23. Drive-ins

24. Studebakers

25. Wash tub wringers

I remembered all of them but Butch Wax. What was that...something the guys used in their hair? Getting 24 of them makes me old....not older than dirt, but :D :D older than you by seven years. I especially appreciated....roller skate keys. Also I remember when I got my first pair of shoe roller skates. They were white, J.C. Higgens from Sears and Roebuck... and had huge wooden wheels for skating indoors only on wooden floors in rinks. If you wanted rubber stops on them you took them to a shoe store where they put on rubber heels for stops. We used to go every Friday night to the roller rink when I was in junior high school. I took lessons and my mom made me a very short, short (maroon velvet)skirt which made my skinny legs look even skinnier. :) I wore a pretty white satin blouse with very full sleeves and looked a little like a girl pirate on skates.. ;) :D :D :wave:

Upvote 0

fieldlily

God heals and restores!
Mar 7, 2005
USA
✟26,824.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My dad was a professional chauffeur during the 20's and 30's. He drove a Packard. We had a Hudson (remember them anyone?) during W.W.II which had a back seat which converted into a bed. He volunteered his car and driving services to the city rescue during this time as a temporary ambulance.

Upvote 0

Macca

Veteran
Feb 25, 2004
Frankston North
✟9,640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
birdfriend said:
My dad was a professional chauffeur during the 20's and 30's. He drove a Packard. We had a Hudson (remember them anyone?) during W.W.II which had a back seat which converted into a bed. He volunteered his car and driving services to the city rescue during this time as a temporary ambulance.
Yeah! we had Hudsons here in Aus.
Macca.

Upvote 0

keeptrying

Save a Life....Spay and Neuter!
Jun 4, 2005
North Carolina
✟7,775.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Macca said:
Yeah! we had Hudsons here in Aus.
Macca.

My grandpa had an old car sitting in the yard and when we would come to visit we would play in it. It had the push button starter and I think it was a Dodge but I could be totally off. We loved playing in that car.

I keep telling my daughter when we retire I'm never throwing anything out. When I buy a new sofa the old one becomes the new patio furniture, buy a new refrig the old one becomes a storage unit for the porch (holes drilled in the back for kids safety) and the old car becomes a playstation for the grandkids. I think I have her scared. LOL:D Remember when people did that?

All my grandparents were farmers so maybe they recyled a little more then the "city folk" did but they also lived during the depression so I think that had a lot to do with it. People appreciated the things they had back then because they were not so easy to come by and they were not as ready to throw everything away.

Upvote 0

fieldlily

God heals and restores!
Mar 7, 2005
USA
✟26,824.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
keeptrying said:
My grandpa had an old car sitting in the yard and when we would come to visit we would play in it. It had the push button starter and I think it was a Dodge but I could be totally off. We loved playing in that car.

I keep telling my daughter when we retire I'm never throwing anything out. When I buy a new sofa the old one becomes the new patio furniture, buy a new refrig the old one becomes a storage unit for the porch (holes drilled in the back for kids safety) and the old car becomes a playstation for the grandkids. I think I have her scared. LOL:D Remember when people did that?

All my grandparents were farmers so maybe they recyled a little more then the "city folk" did but they also lived during the depression so I think that had a lot to do with it. People appreciated the things they had back then because they were not so easy to come by and they were not as ready to throw everything away.

My parents lived through the Great Depression with two growing kids. I was born towards the end of it, so they had a baby too. My mother was very frugal and saved everything. My husband's mom was even more so. Very few people owned their own places back then and the very fortunate ones (like my dad) kept working. My husband and his family had to move from the mid-West to Idaho so that their dad could find work.

Yet, I love to read about the history of that era and enjoy some of the literature produced then. :wave:

Upvote 0

MotherOfPromise

Jan 8, 2005
The South
✟26,336.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Just remembered something else from my school years.

Does anyone remember Blue Horse notebook paper? On the front of the pack it had a picture of a horse printed in blue. You could cut out the squares with blue horse heads and save then up and get prizes. I remember saving mine to get a blue and white felt beanie hat with the Blue Horse logo on it. :)

Did the rest of you learn to read from the Dick and Jane books? :)

Upvote 0

MotherOfPromise

Jan 8, 2005
The South
✟26,336.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
I have a box of Dick and Jane note cards that I got as a gift. :)

I'm sort of stingy about using them though.:o

I have a few old textbook readers from the 50's but not Dick and Jane.

I have an old Winnie the Pooh book that I found at a flea market a few years ago. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Macca

Veteran
Feb 25, 2004
Frankston North
✟9,640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
MotherOfPromise said:
I have a box of Dick and Jane note cards that I got as a gift. :)

I'm sort of stingy about using them though.:o

I have a few old textbook readers from the 50's but not Dick and Jane.

I have an old Winnie the Pooh book that I found at a flea market a few years ago. :)
So it seems so much hasn't xhanged.
Macca.

Upvote 0

fieldlily

God heals and restores!
Mar 7, 2005
USA
✟26,824.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
miggles said:
Oh I loved the Dick and Jane books. See Spot. See spot run. Run, Spot, run. :D

Migs, this I remember....go, Puff, go! [this is what cat lovers remember] ;)

Prom, I don't remember the Blue Horse books. Maybe we didn't have them out in the Wild West (but you would think so being as they were "horse" books) or else I was too young then...most likely they were before I was young and when I was older and past the "blue horse" stage. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keeptrying

Save a Life....Spay and Neuter!
Jun 4, 2005
North Carolina
✟7,775.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
miggles said:
I looked it up on the internet and I think that Puff was before Spot. It was a 1951 publication. (Before my time! :D) Spot was 1956. I MISSED OUT ON PUFF!!!!! :cry:

I missed out on Puff too. Why would they get rid of cute little Puff? This is not fair. Cats unite.:preach:

Upvote 0

Latreia

Gone
Jun 13, 2005
✟24,734.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
MotherOfPromise said:
Just remembered something else from my school years.

Does anyone remember Blue Horse notebook paper? On the front of the pack it had a picture of a horse printed in blue. You could cut out the squares with blue horse heads and save then up and get prizes. I remember saving mine to get a blue and white felt beanie hat with the Blue Horse logo on it. :)

Did the rest of you learn to read from the Dick and Jane books? :)

Oh my goodness gracious sakes alive! Bless you for giving me back a memory I know haven't thought about in 50 years, not once. Blue Horse notebook paper and cutting out the squares with horse heads to save up. I love it! Only you could give that back to me and that just makes you sooooo special. :angel:

"See Jane run. See Dick run. See Spot run.
See Jane run faster than Dick ran. See Spot laugh"

Bless all of us treasures gathered here today :groupray:

Agape

PS Several posts back, I had no control over the size of my fonts, don't know what happened. Apologive to all.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.