Memories which qualify me to be a Golden Eagle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fieldlily

God heals and restores!
Mar 7, 2005
USA
✟26,824.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Guys, been here two months and just found this forum. Being a birdwatcher I was just going to post something about eagles on the pet and animal forum when I noticed this one called Golden Eagles. I qualify :thumbsup: because...

I am 68 years young and I remember...

When the veterans came home after W.W.II.

band concerts in the parks.

drag races

When your mom asked you why you wanted to see a movie and you said, "Because it is in technicolor."

When there was no TV and we listened to the radio!!

Chocolate ripple ice cream

1 cent packages of kool aid you dumped on your palm and licked.

Sock dances..

canon balling at the swimming pool.

Twirp season...

peddle pushers

decorating for the junior prom

sliding down hills on cardboard boxes

stick ball in the street

watering the lawn without a sprinkling system and mowing with a hand mower.

I Love Lucy

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Johnny Mack Brown

The first Superman and the first Batman in the movie serials.

Dale Evans when she was still Dale Evans and not married to Roy.

Horse movies that made you cry.

Dog movies that made you cry.

tweed wool skirts long, tight, and down to the ankles.

pee jackets

reading Nancy Drew and the Bobsey Twins.

when hot pink was called fuschia and neon green was called chartreuse.

Freddy, the Detective and Dumbo the Flying Elephant.

Snipe hunting

trick or treat which included the tricks.

Margaret O'Brien

sitting in the sun without sun screen lotion.

When kitties all went outside and there were no litter boxes in the house.

making snow angels every time it snowed.

reading under the covers with a flash light...

when everyone said 'cool' the first time around...

Cars only had stick shifts.

Forgetting to say your prayers at night because you thought you would live forever...or fell asleep reading a book under the covers. ;)

Going to Sunday school when you were the student and not the teacher..

When a prayer ministry meant praying for the neighbor's lost cat. (still do that) :)

When 30 miles from home was a long distance trip.

And hardly anyone ever flew in an airplane.

What do you remember? :wave:

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Oh, those are wonderful memories! :clap: I remember pedal pushers. I wore them in kindergarten. :)

Pleased to meet ya, Birdfriend!
wge3.jpg

Upvote 0

day2day

~*~Desiring God~*~
Apr 15, 2005
USA
✟49,434.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
at 39 I know,I know that's not old. but I do remember things my grandmother told me. God rest her soul. I get along better with someone older. I feel they are more wiser, sweeter and full of God love. Because, they have been here to experience his love longer. I am drawn to mature people. many people tell me I have an old soul. whatever that means. But God leds me to the best he has. AN honorary Golden Eagle. I remember too. day2day:hug:

Upvote 0

Macca

Veteran
Feb 25, 2004
Frankston North
✟9,640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Yeah I remember much of that list. Except the typical American stuff we didn't get. Like: Kool Aid
Twirp season??
junior prom
J M Brown
pee jackets??
I remember billy carts
walking to the local shops (or riding the bike)
no supermarkets
computers that filled a roon or building
reel to reel tape players
manual typewriters
solid fuel cookers
open fireplace (coz there was nothing else)
golf clubs were mainly hickory.
Macca. :preach:

Upvote 0

fieldlily

God heals and restores!
Mar 7, 2005
USA
✟26,824.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Macca said:
Yeah I remember much of that list. Except the typical American stuff we didn't get. Like: Kool Aid
Twirp season??
junior prom
J M Brown
pee jackets??
I remember billy carts
walking to the local shops (or riding the bike)
no supermarkets
computers that filled a roon or building
reel to reel tape players
manual typewriters
solid fuel cookers
open fireplace (coz there was nothing else)
golf clubs were mainly hickory.

Macca. :preach:

Hi Macca,

Twirp season was usually in the early spring and it lasted one week. During that week the girls asked the boys for dates (including the dance).

Pee jackets or Pee coats were double breasted, made of heavy material, about the length of a car coat and were only navy blue. They were worn by sailors, but when I was a teenager they became a fashion for a while and I had a great one. The buttons were big and usually had anchors on them.

I remember struggling with the reel to reel tape recorders and also Bell and Howell movie projectors (before we had video tapes) when I was a young teacher.

The corner grocery store or meat market was nice. And on my list I forgot to include that I vaguely remember when the ice man delivered ice for our ice boxes. I was really little then. (Before everyone had refrigerators) and when Mary Tyler Moore played a pixie for a refrigerator commercial (G.E.?) That was her first t.v. role, I think. Isn't it fun to remember? :sigh:

Upvote 0

fieldlily

God heals and restores!
Mar 7, 2005
USA
✟26,824.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
day2day said:
at 39 I know,I know that's not old. but I do remember things my grandmother told me. God rest her soul. I get along better with someone older. I feel they are more wiser, sweeter and full of God love. Because, they have been here to experience his love longer. I am drawn to mature people. many people tell me I have an old soul. whatever that means. But God leds me to the best he has. AN honorary Golden Eagle. I remember too. day2day:hug:

Your grandmother must have been a wonderful blessing. Hopefully my grandkids will remember things I share with them. God Bless you.

Upvote 0

fieldlily

God heals and restores!
Mar 7, 2005
USA
✟26,824.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
miggles said:
Oh, those are wonderful memories! :clap: I remember pedal pushers. I wore them in kindergarten. :)

Pleased to meet ya, Birdfriend! Pleased to meet you too, miggles. Funny how those styles just keep coming back, isn't it? I can't think what they are called today but my daughter wears them.
wge3.jpg

birdfriend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Macca

Veteran
Feb 25, 2004
Frankston North
✟9,640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
PromiseSeeker said:
These have been so interesting to read........... yes "peddle pushers" are now called "capris"....... and I just love them!

What else does everyone remember?
Riding around the neighbourhood in the Baker's horse and cart.
Taking the billy-can to the local dairy for the day's milk.
Milking cows by hand.
Today's classic cars when they were the new model.
Owning a 1938 Dodge before they became valuable. :cry:
Riding in a coal burning steam train
1/3 pint of milk for morning play-time at primary school.
getting the cane at school for misbehaving.
Macca.

Upvote 0

Pilgrim1951

Aug 28, 2004
Tennessee
✟8,976.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, let's see...we called the girl-ask-boy dance, Sadie Hawkins

If you "went steady" with a boy and he gave you his class ring to wear, because the boys fingers were usually so much bigger, you wrapped the ring with angora yarn, so the ring wouldn't fall off.

Girls couldn't earn "letters" in sports and clubs like they do now - I think that is one of the good changes.

My "scooter" didn't have a motor, you had to push it with your foot.

I could jump up and down on a pogo stick until I was completely worn out, without falling off.

My parents took my sister and I to buy the very first Barbie doll.
(wish I had mine now, they're worth a lot of money!)

Saturday morning TV shows- Sky King, My Friend Flicka, Fury, Rin-Tin-Tin,
The Lone Ranger to name a few.

all the kids cried when Bambi's mother got killed, I don't know if they do that now or not.

We wore dresses and skirts clear through high school, what a pain that was. My Senior class petitioned for dropping the dress code, but it didn't pass. The year after I graduated, they got rid of it finally.

We kids sat with our parents in church, there wasn't any children's church, just sunday school

I was a Brownie and a Girl Scout, and not very good at either one!

"nice girls" never called boys - what a hoot!

:sleep:

Upvote 0

fieldlily

God heals and restores!
Mar 7, 2005
USA
✟26,824.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pilgrim1951 said:
If you "went steady" with a boy and he gave you his class ring to wear, because the boys fingers were usually so much bigger, you wrapped the ring with angora yarn, so the ring wouldn't fall off.

Girls couldn't earn "letters" in sports and clubs like they do now - I think that is one of the good changes.

My parents took my sister and I to buy the very first Barbie doll.
(wish I had mine now, they're worth a lot of money!)

Saturday morning TV shows- Sky King, My Friend Flicka, Fury, Rin-Tin-Tin,
The Lone Ranger to name a few.

all the kids cried when Bambi's mother got killed, I don't know if they do that now or not.

We wore dresses and skirts clear through high school, what a pain that was. My Senior class petitioned for dropping the dress code, but it didn't pass. The year after I graduated, they got rid of it finally.

I was a Brownie and a Girl Scout, and not very good at either one!

"nice girls" never called boys - what a hoot!

:sleep:

I went steady in high school and wore my boyfriend's ring on a chain around my neck.

In the 1950's the only sports a girl could letter in at our school was tennis unless she was a cheerleader. I made the tennis team and still have three letters. Got to wear a letterman's sweater too. That was about it though except for intramural sports and no letters for that. The guys were the jocks....:o Oh, and our basketball was different rules than girl's basketball today. Half the team had to stay on one side of the floor and the other half on the other. Never knew why..but girl's sports are much better now.

My nieces gave up their Barbie dolls to my two girls. My kids lost them. They would be worth about $700 each now. :eek:

I sent for a Sky King ring from the back of a cereal box coupon. :blush:

When I took my younger daughter to Bambi she didn't cry. I wailed so loud in Lassie Come Home when I was about four or five I got an all day sucker caught in my mouth. My big sister had to get it out. :cry:

We had to wear skirts or dresses in high school too and also in college. Even as a young teacher I wore them. What year did that change? :confused:

I was not a very good Girl Scout either, but eventually became a pretty good Junior Girl Scout leader. :yawn:

My boyfriend called me every night and we exchanged coded messages. I never called him...:doh:

It is fun to remember these things? ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pilgrim1951

Aug 28, 2004
Tennessee
✟8,976.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The year they abolished the dress code at my old high school was 1970, the year after I graduated.

Wow, Birdfriend, you sound like you might have been a bit of a "jock" yourself back then! Very modern woman, you.

I was a little whimpy kid with glasses all through school. Whenever the kids in grade school played Red Rover, they always said to send me over, because I could never break through, I always just kinda bounced off and landed on the the floor, Ha ha! Then the big kids would target me when they were called over. I thought, one day I would probably have a dislocated joint or something.
Dodge ball was a nightmare! I used to get pulverized in that game.

If I had lettered in anything it would have been Craven Cowardice. Ha!
Basically, I didn't flourish in school at any time.

What about those awful gym suits? Anyone?

Upvote 0

fieldlily

God heals and restores!
Mar 7, 2005
USA
✟26,824.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pilgrim1951 said:
The year they abolished the dress code at my old high school was 1970, the year after I graduated.

Wow, Birdfriend, you sound like you might have been a bit of a "jock" yourself back then! Very modern woman, you.

I was a little whimpy kid with glasses all through school. Whenever the kids in grade school played Red Rover, they always said to send me over, because I could never break through, I always just kinda bounced off and landed on the the floor, Ha ha! Then the big kids would target me when they were called over. I thought, one day I would probably have a dislocated joint or something.
Dodge ball was a nightmare! I used to get pulverized in that game.

If I had lettered in anything it would have been Craven Cowardice. Ha!
Basically, I didn't flourish in school at any time.

What about those awful gym suits? Anyone?

I always enjoyed sports and even in my forties took up distance running and then in my fifties mountain biking, but these days ping pong and short bird treks are about it. :) The gym suits WERE awful. We had to wear all white and the p.e. teacher made us sew our names on the back of our white blouses. We didn't wear tee shirts...only white blouses were allowed. I know not why...:scratch:

Upvote 0

MotherOfPromise

Jan 8, 2005
The South
✟26,336.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Those are some great memories, Birdfriend. :)

I remember playing outside after dark and porch sittin, still do that sometimes.
Playing Annie Over. Does anyone remember that?
Halloween carnival king and queen.
Only city folks had paved roads.
Drawing water from a well.
Wood stoves.
Throwing rocks at the electric wires to hear them zing when one was hit.
Baptisms in the pond or creek.
Dinners on the ground.
Walking more than a mile to catch the school bus.
Hoeing cotton.
Picking cotton.
Rides in cotton trailers.
Homemade ice cream.
Flour sack dresses and shirts.
Wringer washers and rinse tubs.
Using blueing in the rinse water for whites.
Starching almost everything, the stiffer the better.
A pickup truck that never wanted to start. We parked it on the hill so we could easily give it a push to get started.
All the kids wanted to sit by the window and no one next to the stick shift.
The price of soda pops went up to a nickel.
Mr. Harper at the country store giving me free ice cream cones.
The whooperwills in the evening.
Cutting across the fields and through the woods to get to the neighbors house, keeping an eye out for bulls or wild pigs along the way.
Not locking our doors at night.
A wind up clock.
Prayers in school and memorizing verses there too.
The yearly class trip, to ride the Delta Queen paddle boat down the Arkansas River.
Crossing the river on a ferry barge loaded with cars because there was no bridge, cost fifty cents to cross.
Picking up hickory nuts in the fall.
Making spinning tops from wooden thread spools.
And on and on I could go.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.