Yes!
✟11,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, I was just wondering something...does anyone here do any type of medieval or historical swordfighting?
Does anyone belong to a group like the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism)?
Do you do any type of period swordfighting, battles, ect?

I'm just curious to see if there is anyone out there as weird as myself^_^

bfly

Contributor
Oct 2, 2005
Alabama
✟23,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Steadfast7 said:
Okay, I was just wondering something...does anyone here do any type of medieval or historical swordfighting?

No, Never tried that. But I don't like to see blood. lol

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Steadfast7 said:

Will be in Toledo this weekend.
Watching the battle, and will hopefully be lopping off heads, spearing some rings and a little pig sticking. In Equestrian events.
Then top the day off sitting around the fire listening to the bards spin their yarns.
An Event called Baron wars.
Have not started on my armor yet, but will eventually
get into fighting.
They use padded weapons and heavy armor, they have individual fights and grand melees.
My first SCA event.
Good day, M'lady.:wave:

Upvote 0

52Cards

The Puppet Master
Mar 19, 2006
SC
Visit site
✟16,791.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you want real life, trying starting a Dagorhir unit in your hometown. Same kind of thing, lots of people do it, including me. It's nationwide as well. If you want theory, check out the RPG section. Also PM Paladin Dave, and he'll describe to you all the sword-fighting techniques you'd ever want to know. I have wanted to try fencing, but I've never gotten around to it. I am pretty handy with a dagorhir sword though. The website is at www.dagorhir.com.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have read some of the Dagorhir unit.
It is interesting, and I like the fantasy personas.(elves, dwarfs)
But I prefer the SCA. Where a shield protects all blows,
and all injury is obvious. A hit to the arm is loss of that arm. Rather then 2 hits to a shield means the arm is lost, and 3 hits means death.

In Sca a hit to the shield arm means that arm is lost, as is the weapon arm. Leg hits means the person goes down to the knees.

SCA weapons are alot more strict on safety. No real shaft arrows. Golf tube arrows or siloflex arrow tubes.
In SCA you must wear full helmet with face protection
with no opening larger then 1 inch.
But it still sounds like fun.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Steadfast7 said:

Touched it. I own a couple of swords. But I have never had the time to go all the way into it.
I have done some movies (shorts) with swordfights of a rather pathetic form, but still...

I love swords and the art of swordfighting, though so far I am mostly into the art of swordmaking (theoretically only. Never actually done any forging)

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
faith guardian said:
Touched it. I own a couple of swords. But I have never had the time to go all the way into it.
I have done some movies (shorts) with swordfights of a rather pathetic form, but still...

I love swords and the art of swordfighting, though so far I am mostly into the art of swordmaking (theoretically only. Never actually done any forging)

There is blacksmiths in SCA. knife maker was at the event I went to last weekend. Also over a hundred warriors beating each othe with padded swords and maces.

How ever you want to get involved is covered.
Sewing, singing, smithing, combat, archery, dog training,
equestrian, dancers, caligraphy, thrown weapons. Basically anything done in the middle ages, is done in the SCA. Larp and Dagorhir are similar but are less period specific.

Upvote 0

JGT

Apr 29, 2006
Cambridge
Visit site
✟15,262.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I've been a fencer (foilist) for some years. I once fought a duel at university with "live" steel with a friend of mine, needless to say we were both disgracefully drunk and the fight ended with me sustaining a two inch incised laceration to my scalp! Swords and ale..not recommended.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wildthing

Legend
Apr 9, 2004
somewhere in Michigan
✟23,757.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
JGT said:
Cool, which weapon do you fence? Are you a Foilist?
Yes I use a foil. But been thinking about going to epee. You never think about it being much of physical thing until you try it. I don't winn alot of matches but I enjoy doing it. When it become a something that I don't enjoy I will take a break. How about you?

Upvote 0

JGT

Apr 29, 2006
Cambridge
Visit site
✟15,262.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I love fencing and have enjoyed it for several years now. I have fenced saber in the past but will always favor foil as I find the mixture of physical exertion and cerebral application involved with that particular weapon exceedingly rewarding. I hope you continue to fence as it is something that takes a lifetime to master.
Touche.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ginsu

Professional Garden Gnome Placement Manager
Mar 5, 2004
Manitoba, Canada
Visit site
✟10,324.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
WOW! The whole foam sword fighting league sounds really interesting! man I wish there was something like that in my area, I would surely be interested.

But I'd be more a battle axe wielding character just for the record.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ginsu said:
WOW! The whole foam sword fighting league sounds really interesting! man I wish there was something like that in my area, I would surely be interested.

But I'd be more a battle axe wielding character just for the record.
WWW.SCA.org
They have a link to search your area for a group.

Fencing with rapiers is also in the sca. Must have the
fencing equipment to do it.
If you are lucky and live near a big fight group they have loaner equipment. To see if you want to make the investment. And there are people fighting with two handed mace and large foam axes.

Anyone near Dayton Ohio, We are having our event in July. (Barons armies attack...)is about the event.

Upvote 0

peanutbutter12

Senior Veteran
Oct 14, 2002
✟21,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've been a swordsman for quite some years now and enjoy a good bout when I get the chance. Unfortunately, I am the only one in my area who does this, though I'm sure I could get others interested if I tried. I've trained with many styles of swords, mostly european or asian, but I really want to learn to use a rapier. It's a completely different art than using a heavier sword.

CJ

Upvote 0