Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I try to be decent with everyone online and off. I’ve been getting hints that there is gossip going about behind the scenes through PM’s. Seriously, why do people do such things especially when they know nothing about fellow posters? I remember once being contacted asking if I was having an affair with a fellow poster that made it his mission to make me miserable on the board. What makes people do these things? Especially on the internet? It seems really pathological to me but I have always ignored it even when I knew they were involved. I’m just curious if anyone else has experienced this and have any thoughts as to why people do such strange things. This is the first time I have asked for thoughts on this topic but seeing as it seems to go through cycles, I wanted hear others opinions or experiences. I just find it so odd.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I try to be decent with everyone online and off. I’ve been getting hints that there is gossip going about behind the scenes through PM’s. Seriously, why do people do such things especially when they know nothing about fellow posters? I remember once being contacted asking if I was having an affair with a fellow poster that made it his mission to make me miserable on the board. What makes people do these things? Especially on the internet? It seems really pathological to me but I have always ignored it even when I knew they were involved. I’m just curious if anyone else has experienced this and have any thoughts as to why people do such strange things. This is the first time I have asked for thoughts on this topic but seeing as it seems to go through cycles, I wanted hear others opinions or experiences. I just find it so odd.
I’m oblivious to it. Really, I wouldn’t know any of it if nobody said anything. Even then I would suspect they made it all up.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m oblivious to it. Really, I wouldn’t know any of it if nobody said anything. Even then I would suspect they made it all up.
Well it is made up. It’s crazy. It seems people are not happy unless they target someone. What’s so funny about it is that regardless of people’s assumptions, they are usually always wrong. We can read and assume all we want but people can present anyway they choose on social media and it’s usually not true in reality anyway. I’ve never been big on discussing myself on the internet past a certain point. Maybe that is the problem. Lol! Social media is a strange place full of oddness. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced it and what their thoughts were on the topic. The only thing I have come up with is jealousy, insecurity, or it’s just fun to try to exercise some sort of power that feeds their ego in some way? It just puzzles me. Waiting for an oil change right now so I thought I’d pose the question.

Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Michie - - - you are a Catholic who has posted a lot of stuff. So, it is possible that someone anti-Catholic is trying to discredit you and therefore Catholicism. And possibly you simply have gotten attention by posting so many things, so you are a target.

I remember someone complained about how many threads you started; so there could be resentment about that, and bitterness could breed gossip as a way of trying to get revenge when the moderator(s) upheld that you are welcome to start threads as much as you like.

And it could be someone just wants some sort of thrill of having power to start a rumor, then read how much it spreads. I mean it could have nothing to do with you or Catholicism.

I think when someone complained about how many threads you started, that could have been about fearing how much publicity Catholicism was getting.

What's up with people, then, is we can be too fast to believe things people tell us.

"Test all things; hold fast what is good." (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

And this includes how we need to test in prayer, about what we should do about rumors against us.

Become able to make sure with God about what we believe and what we do.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Michie - - - you are a Catholic who has posted a lot of stuff. So, it is possible that someone anti-Catholic is trying to discredit you and therefore Catholicism. And possibly you simply have gotten attention by posting so many things, so you are a target.

I remember someone complained about how many threads you started; so there could be resentment about that, and bitterness could breed gossip as a way of trying to get revenge when the moderator(s) upheld that you are welcome to start threads as much as you like.

And it could be someone just wants some sort of thrill of having power to start a rumor, then read how much it spreads. I mean it could have nothing to do with you or Catholicism.

I think when someone complained about how many threads you started, that could have been about fearing how much publicity Catholicism was getting.

What's up with people, then, is we can be too fast to believe things people tell us.

"Test all things; hold fast what is good." (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

And this includes how we need to test in prayer, about what we should do about rumors against us.

Become able to make sure with God about what we believe and what we do.
Yeah the thread thing has always been an open topic. I doubt it has much to do with that given the content I’ve heard. I don’t know. Could be another form of trolling too. Could be anything. *shrug* I’ll continue to ignore it as I always have. I was just curious if anyone experienced this type of thing as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Church people - especially church women in particular, gossip.

I've honestly never seen anything like it in my life until church... Lol. I mean, it's a major sin in today's church culture.

What I personally do is completely ignore gossip, about anyone for any reason.

If someone is in front of me and starts talking whatever about whomever I shut people down immediately. I simply don't participate.

To shut people down I just point out that this is gossiping about someone and I don't do that because it's sinful.

Who cares what people think or say beyond that. That's just honest. I don't care what people think to a fairly large degree.

Not caring, and not participating in gossip, whether about yourself or others is actually insulating from the gossips because if you don't participate and don't get upset then it's really not fun, so they often just go pick on others.

Other than that, sometimes either the way people post or the way people do whatever online might make me think something about them.

For instance, your posting might lead me to the conclusion that your a Catholic, but maybe there were a few posts that didn't fit this picture so i might message you and outright ask if you are Catholic...

That's different than gossip, it's just asking a stupid question because maybe I like your posting and want to know more about you...

That's not talking about you, though the conclusion may have been wrong, there's no harm no foul in asking questions... Regardless of the stupidity factor.

But, that's probably just my own personality coming through. It's probably somehow connected to the mom thing women get... Lol

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I've honestly never seen anything like it in my life until church... Lol. I mean, it's a major sin in today's church culture.

If someone is in front of me and starts talking whatever about whomever I shut people down immediately. I simply don't participate.

To shut people down I just point out that this is gossiping about someone and I don't do that because it's sinful.

Who cares what people think or say beyond that. That's just honest. I don't care what people think to a fairly large degree.

Not caring, and not participating in gossip, whether about yourself or others is actually insulating from the gossips because if you don't participate and don't get upset then it's really not fun, so they often just go pick on others.

Other than that, sometimes either the way people post or the way people do whatever online might make me think something about them.

For instance, your posting might lead me to the conclusion that your a Catholic, but maybe there were a few posts that didn't fit this picture so i might message you and outright ask if you are Catholic...

That's different than gossip, it's just asking a stupid question because maybe I like your posting and want to know more about you...

That's not talking about you, though the conclusion may have been wrong, there's no harm no foul in asking questions... Regardless of the stupidity factor.

But, that's probably just my own personality coming through. It's probably somehow connected to the mom thing women get... Lol
I agree. There are some that seem to not be happy unless they have a target.

I’m up front too. If I have something to say, I say it. Otherwise I try to ignore them.

I’ve never been a fan of gossip and having to have someone to dislike or target. There seems to be a real lack on people like that. It’s odd how some people operate.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Sorry, i disagree, gossip doesn't belong in a christians mouth and men are just as big offenders:). Are you familiar with the men posting in this thread? It also causes judgment. We are also not supposed to brag on our selves

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

You're funny poni:)

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.