Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Not nirvana, but it looks good overall.
It looks like there could be an alternative solution however it too could be more of the same with unforeseen and different problems that are equally unpleasant. Portugal is not the USA.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You do realize that legal drugs like tobacco and alcohol kill far more people that illegal drugs in the US?

The criminalization of drugs is not about public safety or public health, it's about moralism.
I'm wondering what conclusion your question leads towards.:scratch:

So legal drugs kill far more people. By decriminalizing the use of all other drugs it will save more people? This doesn't seem like a conclusion that is believable.

I'm skeptical about how many lives will be saved over the course of decades if something like decriminalization is legislated. I agree though that it's something that should be looked into.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering what conclusion your question leads towards.:scratch:
That most of the degradation and violence associated with drug us is a consequence of attempting to traffic an illegal commodity rather than on the actual use of the drug itself.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
That most of the degradation and violence associated with drug us is a consequence of attempting to traffic an illegal commodity rather than on the actual use of the drug itself.
I'm not so sure that they're proposing to provide legal sources. There are a number of consequences of drug use. Violence in distribution is one. I'm not sure decriminalizing (with diversion into treatment) will fix that. However being in prison and having a record can ruin your life and your family's. That should largely be removed. But there's still the question of whether treatment and prevention work. Several countries other than Portugal have done one version or another. But it's pretty clear that jail isn't an effective drug rehabilitation strategy, so continuing the current system doesn't seem like a good idea.

In addition to jail being an ineffective treatment, so are a lot of the drug rehab programs. There are apparently treatments that work, but they're not so commonly used.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Pete Buttigieg is mayor of South Bend, Indiana.

The crime rate in South Bend is higher than 96% of all U.S. cities, according to city-data.com. Drugs are rampant in the city, which lies east of Chicago. The incarceration rate is also soaring in Indiana, according to prisonpolicy.org.

So, of course, it makes sense that Buttigieg, who is running for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination, wants to legalize all kinds of drugs.

“Incarceration should not even be a response to drug possession,” Buttigieg told editors and reporters at the Des Moines Register.

“Is that across the board? So if it’s meth or coke or ecstasy, any drugs, if it’s possession, incarceration isn’t…” one editor asked.

“That’s right,” Buttigieg said.

Link: BRILLIANT: Mayor Pete Wants to Decriminalize 'Meth, Coke, Ecstasy' And Heroin

I agree; legalize all drugs.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So legal drugs kill far more people. By decriminalizing the use of all other drugs it will save more people?
Yes, it would. It would end the violence associated with the drug trade and the deaths caused by use of drugs of unknown potency/contents.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Too many people, especially people of color, are incarcerated for simple possession. We need to go after dealers, not users.
I think it would be good to expand ideas like drug court, where defendants are given the chance to participate in a grueling rehabilitation program, drug tested weekly, etc. and, upon completion, their record is expunged. I know a young woman who has become very successful after going through that program.
Overall, our criminal justice system needs to be more geared towards rehabilitation.
Felons should be able to have their records expunged after a certain period of time. How can they ever successfully get back into society if the only places that will ever hire them are minimum wage employers. And when they are working there, even if they have exemplary records, they cannot get promotions? Once they have successfully completed their parole their mistakes should not prevent them from becoming self-supporting forever.

• Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes, it would. It would end the violence associated with the drug trade and the deaths caused by use of drugs of unknown potency/contents.
Considering that cannabis was recently legalized for commercial sale here in Canada. I have found some users still buy their product from sources of unknown potency/contents. So NO it would not end the violence associated with the drug trade no more than public health care will cure death.

Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm skeptical that it will actually stop the violence, at worst I think that's a pipe dream. Not all people are basically good. What I'm not skeptical about is it will give a much better chance for non violent users to rehabilitate their lifestyle into something productive for themselves as well as their neighbor.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Considering that cannabis was recently legalized for commercial sale here in Canada. I have found some users still buy their product from sources of unknown potency/contents. So NO it would not end the violence associated with the drug trade no more than public health care will cure death.
It's the same here. Once weed was legalized, people bought it from a "drug dealer" rather than a legal outlet. People want to get really high and the store bought stuff isn't enough.

Upvote 0