Buttigieg jumps 16 points -- will this be the guy to take on Trump?

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd classify him (at this point) as left of center, but not tilting to the extreme left.
I agree. Although, compared to Bernie or Warren, he is center.

• Agree
Reactions: A Realist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Maybe the Governor of LA will run in 2024.
And maybe he will get absolutely nowhere. I hope he would get farther than that. From what I know of him he is one of the rare Democrats that I wouldn't automatically dismiss because of their love of the culture of death.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I said 'compared to'.
Look, that doesn't change a thing. You could say that he was not as far left as some, and you could say that he is somewhere between the far left and the far right, but being somewhere between the extremes does not necessarily make anyone be in the middle, i.e. a "centrist" in political terms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mayor Pete got elected Mayor because his campaign was essentially "I got good grades in college, I joined the military and I can form clear sentences." His presidential campaign is the same, but with "and I'm gay" added to the mix. As Mayor of South Bend, he accomplished nothing, other than adding green bike lanes and making one section of downtown look nicer. The town still sucks and the crime rate is still high. South Bend is the closest city to me, but I drive a longer distance to shop in other towns to avoid being shot, as there are often several shootings per week in the area where I would shop. Notre Dame even got its own zip code (the school is now in the town of Notre Dame, IN) to avoid being associated with South Bend.

On the whole, Mayor Pete hasn't done anything "bad" as Mayor. He just hasn't done anything. As Albion said, his resume is paper-thin - not just his political resume, but his life resume - and I don't get why he is taken seriously as a presidential candidate. Lots of people got good grades in college and joined the military, and anyone can keep a seat warm for a couple mayoral terms.

That said, I also don't see why most presidential candidates are taken seriously as presidential candidates, so don't think I have some kind of special disdain for Mayor Pete.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Will black Democrats support a homosexual candidate?

Probably not?
The guy don't have a chance.
Maybe another (better) choice?

All the front runners
are looking weaker by the day.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also, let's not forget about that primaries have little to do with voter popularity, but about Party popularity. Mayor Pete might win the majority in the majority of states, but as 2016 showed us, the Party will choose whom it chooses.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Probably not?
The guy don't have a chance.
Maybe another (better) choice?

All the front runners
are looking weaker by the day.
M-Bob
It all depends on who weakens the most by the primaries. The least weak one is the anointed one to try to beat Trump.

Upvote 0