Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article237463004.html

South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg said at a Latino forum in Los Angeles on Sunday that he’d be willing to send U.S. troops into Mexico to combat gang and drug violence.

." And even so, that he'd only order American troops into conflict if American lives were on the line and if it was necessary to meet treaty obligations.

Last edited:

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg said at a Latino forum in Los Angeles on Sunday that he’d be willing to send U.S. troops into Mexico to combat gang and drug violence.

“There is a scenario where we could have security cooperation,” Buttigieg said.

Even so, he added a caveat: “I’d only order American troops into conflict if American lives were on the line and if it was necessary to meet treaty obligations.”

I am sure every President could order troops into conflict in appliciable "scenario". Most likely special forces.
There is a long way to go before seeing army corps heading south.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Even so, he added a caveat: “I’d only order American troops into conflict if American lives were on the line and if it was necessary to meet treaty obligations.”

I am sure every President could order troops into conflict in appliciable "scenario". Most likely special forces.

Well, American lives are being corrupted and taken away each day because of these nasty Cartels.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article237463004.html

South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg said at a Latino forum in Los Angeles on Sunday that he’d be willing to send U.S. troops into Mexico to combat gang and drug violence.

I think it would be helpful and charitable in spirit to edit your post to include the sentences below the ones you've copied so that you can moor his comments to their context. Since the Sac Bee requires that ad blocker settings be changed to read the article in its entirety, some may only respond based on what you've posted. The rest of us can add details but the OP is of course the one that is the most prominent.

At any rate, if Mayor Buttigieg could reply to your poll, I think he'd see the option that would best describe his statement as being "only if invited" but he wouldn't select that choice or the other two because it's such an inaccurate phrasing. He said, “There is a scenario where we could have security cooperation." And even so, that he'd only order American troops into conflict if American lives were on the line and if it was necessary to meet treaty obligations.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg said at a Latino forum in Los Angeles on Sunday that he’d be willing to send U.S. troops into Mexico to combat gang and drug violence.

“There is a scenario where we could have security cooperation,” Buttigieg said.

I believe that's right. Buttigieg sounded like he was speaking very hypothetically about sending troops and when he was then almost badgered with questions about when, under what circumstances, in what capacity would the troops be there, and on and on, he was forced to retreat from his statement as best he could without seeming to retract it altogether.

Upvote 0