Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I believe Yeshua followed and fulfilled the feasts even in his death and resurrection.

I Corinthians 15:20 - “But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the first fruits of them that slept.”

Colossians 1:18 - “And He is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.”

Understanding the details of the Festival of Fruit Fruits leads one to suspect that the resurrection of Yeshua was actually just after the evening sunset of the weekly seventh-day Sabbath. The great energizing power of the Divine quickened the body of Yeshua and brought him forth from the grave in his glorified body. Many tombs were opened at the time of the earthquake at Yeshua’s death, and

Matthew 27:52-53 – “Many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared too many people.

So the evidence of the harvesting of the first fruits for the Festival of First Fruits very well gives us clues as to the timing of the resurrection of Yeshua and those saints which arose with him, the latter as the “first fruits of they that slept.”

Matthew 28:1-8 Now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to look at the grave. And behold, a severe earthquake had occurred, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled away the stone and sat upon it. And his appearance was like lightening, and his clothing as white as snow. The guards shook for fear of him and became like dead men. The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid; for I know that you are looking for Yeshua who has been crucified. He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said. Come, see the place where He was lying. Go quickly and tell His disciples that He has risen from the dead; and behold, He is going ahead of you into Galilee, there you will see Him; behold, I have told you." And they left the tomb quickly with fear and great joy and ran to report it to His disciples.

John 20:1 Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb. The disciples who walked with Yeshua on the road to Emmaus did so on the “same day” of His resurrection.

Luke 24:13-22 the disciples who didn’t recognize Yeshua, told Him about His resurrection “it is now the third day since these things happened.”

We agree on many things but disagree on the timeline. That weekly Shabbat was also a feast day, the 15th. The "last supper" was a Pesakh Seudah HaMephsekhet...literally, the last meal before the fast of the firstborn (the fast was from sunrise to sunset on the 14th). The death of Yeshua could not have happened on a Wednesday because we have witnesses on the road to Emmaus that say Sunday was the 3rd day since those events occurred. So if Sunday was the 3rd Day, Shabbat was the 2nd day and Friday (the day of preparation) was the day those events occurred. Sunday was Yom HaBikkurim, the 16th. Josephus documents this:

"But on the second day of unleavened bread, which is the sixteenth day of the month, they first partake of the fruits of the earth, for before that day they do not touch them” (Antiquities of the Jews 3.10.15)

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Wednesday 14th Passover, Yeshua was put in grave just before sunset

Three days in the grave
1.)Thursday 15th High Holy Day/First Day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread/ Sabbath
2.)Friday Preparation Day
3.)Saturday Weekly Sabbath
First Fruits/Wave Sheaf/ Resurrected after Sabbath

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Wednesday 14th Passover, Yeshua was put in grave just before sunset

Three days in the grave
1.)Thursday 15th High Holy Day/First Day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread/ Sabbath
2.)Friday Preparation Day
3.)Saturday Weekly Sabbath
First Fruits/Wave Sheaf/ Resurrected after Sabbath

So you are not counting the daylight hrs on Wednesday. Again, IMO, that is impossible for the many reasons I posted. Also, how do you get around the fact that the 16th was first fruits, your 16th would have been on Friday, yet you claim first fruits was on the 18th.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
So you are not counting the daylight hrs on Wednesday. Again, IMO, that is impossible for the many reasons I posted. Also, how do you get around the fact that the 16th was first fruits, your 16th would have been on Friday, yet you claim first fruits was on the 18th.
I don't do 16th as First Fruits, First fruits comes after the Sabbath.
Leviticus 23:10 Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, When you come into the land that I give you and reap its harvest, you shall bring the sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest to the priest, and he shall wave the sheaf before the Lord, so that you may be accepted. On the day after the Sabbath the priest shall wave it. And on the day when you wave the sheaf, you shall offer a male lamb a year old without blemish as a burnt offering to the Lord. And the grain offering with it shall be two tenths of an ephah of fine flour mixed with oil, a food offering to the Lord with a pleasing aroma, and the drink offering with it shall be of wine, a fourth of a hin. And you shall eat neither bread nor grain parched or fresh until this same day, until you have brought the offering of your God: it is a statute forever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
One school of thought is that Firstfruits is always on Aviv 16, the morrow after the first “Sabbath” of Unleavened Bread. The other school of thought is that Firstfruits is always on the first day of the week, the morrow after the first seventh-day Sabbath following the first Day of Unleavened Bread.

With Yeshua fulfilling the spring feasts, it fits better to have the crucification on 30AD and the "after sabbath" command of first fruits to be the Weekly Sabbath, thus it also covers how the women can prepare the spices before the Sabbath and buy the spices after the Sabbath. By the way, the first and last day of Unleavened Bread is never call a Sabbath, but rather a holy convocation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't do 16th as First Fruits, First fruits comes after the Sabbath.
Leviticus 23:10 Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, When you come into the land that I give you and reap its harvest, you shall bring the sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest to the priest, and he shall wave the sheaf before the Lord, so that you may be accepted. On the day after the Sabbath the priest shall wave it. And on the day when you wave the sheaf, you shall offer a male lamb a year old without blemish as a burnt offering to the Lord. And the grain offering with it shall be two tenths of an ephah of fine flour mixed with oil, a food offering to the Lord with a pleasing aroma, and the drink offering with it shall be of wine, a fourth of a hin. And you shall eat neither bread nor grain parched or fresh until this same day, until you have brought the offering of your God: it is a statute forever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.

I understand that and that you disagree with Josephus. However, as I have said, there are other problems with the Wednesday crucifixion scenario...

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
One school of thought is that Firstfruits is always on Aviv 16, the morrow after the first “Sabbath” of Unleavened Bread. The other school of thought is that Firstfruits is always on the first day of the week, the morrow after the first seventh-day Sabbath following the first Day of Unleavened Bread.

With Yeshua fulfilling the spring feasts, it fits better to have the crucification on 30AD and the "after sabbath" command of first fruits to be the Weekly Sabbath, thus it also covers how the women can prepare the spices before the Sabbath and buy the spices after the Sabbath. By the way, the first and last day of Unleavened Bread is never call a Sabbath, but rather a holy convocation.

In this case, in my timeline, they BOTH fit :) Yom HaBikkurim was the day after the weekly Sabbath (the Sabbath on the 15th) AND on the 16th (1st day of the week) :)

Upvote 0

AFrazier

Site Supporter
Apr 1, 2016
Mauldin, South Carolina
✟159,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
@visionary

"Joseph of Arimathea was the brother to the father of Yeshua’ mother, Miriam, and the great uncle to Yeshua HaMaschiach (Yeshua the Messiah)."

Proof for this, please.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AFrazier

Site Supporter
Apr 1, 2016
Mauldin, South Carolina
✟159,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Mark 15:42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the Sabbath, 43. Joseph of Arimathaea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Yeshua.

John 19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

There was one vital nugget of information. Joseph of Arimathea was the brother to the father of Yeshua’ mother, Miriam, and the great uncle to Yeshua HaMaschiach (Yeshua the Messiah). Together, Joseph and Nicodemus took the body of Yeshua and placed Him in a newly cut family tomb. After this, Joseph of Arimathea, being a DISCIPLE OF YESHUA, BUT SECRETLY, FOR FEAR OF THE JEWS, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Yeshua; and Pilate gave him permission. So he came and took the body of Yeshua. And NICODEMUS, who at first came to Yeshua by night, also came bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds. Then they took the body of Yeshua, and bound it in strips of linen with the spices, as the custom of the Jews is to bury. Now in the place where He was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb in which no one had yet been laid. So there they laid Yeshua, because of the Jews' Preparation Day, for the tomb was nearby. -- John 19:38-42, NKJV.

Feast of Unleaven Bread [known today as just Passover] begins on the 15th day of the month of Nisan in the Jewish calendar, which is in spring in the Northern Hemisphere, and is celebrated for seven or eight days. It is one of the most widely observed Jewish holidays. It is a Sabbath, a high holiday day.

There were two Sabbaths that week that Yeshua died. The first one occurred on the evening of the crucifixion. Luke 23:52–54; Mark 15:42 Yeshua is buried at the end of preparation day before the Sabbath. He is took it down and wrapped it in a linen shroud and laid him in a tomb cut in stone. The “sacrifice” and “festival” could not begin until the sun had set on the western horizon and three stars were seen in the darkness of the heavens that occurred on the “first day” after the seventh-day Shabbat of the Passover weekend. The fact that Yeshua was in the tomb from Wednesday evening (eve of Thursday) until Saturday evening (eve of Sunday), the first day, made this Passover celebration three days until the “Counting of the Omer” could begin on the first day after the seventh-day Shabbat of Passover.

Leviticus 23:6-8 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread. In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein. But ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD seven days: in the seventh day is an holy convocation [Sabbath]: ye shall do no servile work therein.

You can not purchase spices until after the Sabbath, and yet prepare those spices before the Sabbath.

Mark 16:1 When the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, so that they might go and anoint him.

Luke 23:56 56 Then they returned and prepared spices and ointments. On the Sabbath they rested according to the commandment.

Yeshua was crucified on Wednesday and then the high Holy Day [Feast of Unleaven Bread] began Wednesday night at sundown and end at Thursday sundown which would be the beginning of the Friday, the weekly preparation for weekly Sabbath. This is why the women did not have time between the Sabbaths to anoint him.

I don't see how they could be furnished with pestles and mortars and other vessels for pounding mixing and melting spices in short order. I rather think they bought spices already mixed into an ointment prepared and fitted for the use intended by them. In countries where embalming was in use and where they buried soon after men had expired and especially in great cities and near them such as Jerusalem there must have been shops or warehouses of apothecaries or embalmers or confectioners where spices of all sorts proper for funeral rites and also bandages and rollers might be had and upon the shortest notice for all sorts of persons according to their circumstances. It would be costly. In this instance, the apostles and friends were not prepared for the burial of our Savior and the women would have to take up a collection.

Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus came to the place bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes about an hundred pound weight because they could afford the best. They took the body of Yeshua and wound it in linen clothes or bandages with spices as the manner of the Jews used is to bury. After the death, the family members gathered to ceremoniously prepare the body. The body was cleansed, anointed with oils and spices, and wrapped in a special linen cloth. The anointing and preparing of the body requires a special blend of essential oils and spices. The common essential oils and spices used include sandalwood, myrrh, spikenard, frankincense, fir balsam, myrtle, pine, cypress and spruce with extra virgin olive oil. These oils have been used for hundreds of years for this primary purpose of preparing and purifying the dead. Joseph, being the rich uncle could afford and probably thought it was his job as the family member to step up to the plate and do this.

None of these arguments matter until there is a satisfactory answer to Mark 14:12 and Luke 22:7-8.

Mark 14:12 — And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?

Luke 22:7-8 — Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed. And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat.

Until someone can demonstrate otherwise, these indicate in plain language that Jesus ate the last supper following the afternoon of the 14th, which means he died on the 15th.

If he died on the 15th, then the day after the crucifixion was the 16th, and not the holy convocation. It was just the regular weekly sabbath. Although, with the weekly sabbath being the 16th, that sabbath was a high day, because the counting of the omer began on the 16th in the first century, per Josephus, Philo, and the Talmud.

These long-winded arguments you're putting out mean nothing until you can first prove that Mark 14:12 and Luke 22:7-8 aren't saying that it was the first day of unleavened bread and the day that the passover was killed. As long as they say that, the crucifixion was on the 15th, and Friday is the only day that meets the requirements.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
That WEEKLY Sabbath was ALSO a "high day"...the 15th
Of all of the holy days, the term 7676 Sabbath, standing alone, is applied only to the seventh day of the week. You will see the term “Sabbath of rest”, which is Sabbath (7676) of rest (7677 sabbaton), applied to the fall holy days and the Sabbatical years, but never is this term applied to Unleavened Bread. As such, there is no hint in Scripture to lead us to the conclusion that the word Sabbath (7676) is meant to refer to the first day of Unleavened Bread for purposes of timing Firstfruits and Shavuot. The only precedence would be to interpret it to mean the seventh day Sabbath that falls within the festival week.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Messing with First Fruits messes with the counting of the Omer and the end result changes the timing of Pentecost. If Pentecost is always the 6th day of the third month by interpreting the term Sabbath (7676) as referring to any set of seven days (one week), so it could be the seven days from a Monday through Sunday, Wednesday through Tuesday, etc. Nowhere else in Scripture does 7676 mean “weeks”. In fact, Hebrew has a word that does mean any seven consecutive days, Strong’s 7620, shauvot. But that is not the term employed in Leviticus 23:16. We are not told to count seven weeks, but rather seven rests (Sabbaths). Had God intended us to count weeks that could begin on any day, rather than Seventh-day Sabbaths, would not He have specified it as such? Messing with the timing of the feasts changes everything, just to get a friday killing, is not a good plan.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
I believe the best Biblical interpretation is to calculate Firstfruits as the Sunday (morrow) after the Sabbath (Saturday) that occurs during the week of Unleavened Bread, and that Pentecost is the Sunday (morrow) after the seventh Sabbath (Saturday) thereafter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Of all of the holy days, the term 7676 Sabbath, standing alone, is applied only to the seventh day of the week. You will see the term “Sabbath of rest”, which is Sabbath (7676) of rest (7677 sabbaton), applied to the fall holy days and the Sabbatical years, but never is this term applied to Unleavened Bread. As such, there is no hint in Scripture to lead us to the conclusion that the word Sabbath (7676) is meant to refer to the first day of Unleavened Bread for purposes of timing Firstfruits and Shavuot. The only precedence would be to interpret it to mean the seventh day Sabbath that falls within the festival week.

I never said that. What I am saying is THAT weekly Sabbath was ALSO the 15th.

Upvote 0

AFrazier

Site Supporter
Apr 1, 2016
Mauldin, South Carolina
✟159,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Messing with First Fruits messes with the counting of the Omer and the end result changes the timing of Pentecost. If Pentecost is always the 6th day of the third month by interpreting the term Sabbath (7676) as referring to any set of seven days (one week), so it could be the seven days from a Monday through Sunday, Wednesday through Tuesday, etc. Nowhere else in Scripture does 7676 mean “weeks”. In fact, Hebrew has a word that does mean any seven consecutive days, Strong’s 7620, shauvot. But that is not the term employed in Leviticus 23:16. We are not told to count seven weeks, but rather seven rests (Sabbaths). Had God intended us to count weeks that could begin on any day, rather than Seventh-day Sabbaths, would not He have specified it as such? Messing with the timing of the feasts changes everything, just to get a friday killing, is not a good plan.
1) We are told to count the weeks rather than the sabbaths in Deuteronomy.

2) As I said, put aside modern methods. In the first century, per Josephus (a Pharisee), and Philo (a Pharisee), and corroborated by the Talmud, and later Maimonides, the counting of the omer began on the second day of unleavened bread, or the 16th. It doesn't matter how you or anyone else interprets it, how you think the Bible spells it out, etc. As it concerns chronology, the only thing that matters is how they did it in the first century, and in the first century they counted from the 16th, not the first Sunday after passover.

3) The decision of the religious leaders of that time had concluded that the first day of unleavened bread was a sabbath. That's part of the reason for the dispute between the sects that led to the 16th starting point.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
1) We are told to count the weeks rather than the sabbaths in Deuteronomy.

2) As I said, put aside modern methods. In the first century, per Josephus (a Pharisee), and Philo (a Pharisee), and corroborated by the Talmud, and later Maimonides, the counting of the omer began on the second day of unleavened bread, or the 16th. It doesn't matter how you or anyone else interprets it, how you think the Bible spells it out, etc. As it concerns chronology, the only thing that matters is how they did it in the first century, and in the first century they counted from the 16th, not the first Sunday after passover.

3) The decision of the religious leaders of that time had concluded that the first day of unleavened bread was a sabbath. That's part of the reason for the dispute between the sects that led to the 16th starting point.
Ok.. Just for sake of continuity with the historical position on this matter, then how did "Christianity" nailed the resurrection [First Fruits] to Sunday hence forth?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Ok.. Just for sake of continuity with the historical position on this matter, then how did "Christianity" nailed the resurrection [First Fruits] to Sunday hence forth?

because as I have said, Sunday was the 16th

Upvote 0