Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
That is true, although I suspect the Jewish exiles would be immersed in Persian culture while only transferring a smidgen or two of Jewish culture in the other direction.

Why would they be immersed in Persian culture? They were exiled to Iraq by the Babylonians, not Iran. The Persians sent them back home. Now obviously a lot did not go and we do find Jews living in Iran as in the story of Esther and Mordecai, but it would be an exaggeration to say that Jews as a whole were immersed in Persian culture.

I think most of the Jewish influence would be in cooking, art, music, crafts, etc. Religious jobs would probably be closed to Jews, so their influence would be small. Meanwhile the Jews would be under great pressure to adopt the culture and religion of the Persians.

As I indicated earlier most of the influence that can be documented occurs during the Hellenistic period when both Jews and Zoroastrians are being oppressed by the Greeks.

Also, if we agree that the Jews were originally polytheistic and at most monolatrous, then dualism was inherent.There was the good god Yahweh and the bad gods of the foreigners.

I disagree. The Tanakh does not indicate that other gods are bad. Jews were told to worship Yahweh because He is the one who brought them out of Egypt and they owe it to Him.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Actually no. Dr. William Dever who was the head of the department where I got my Master's degree, has literally dug up tons of evidence for the worship of Ashereh. And I say literally dug up, because he is a biblical archaeologist.

Google is my friend largely because it helps me find what I already know on the internet. For instance Dr. Dever's findings are discussed here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/archeology-hebrew-bible.html

Or just maybe you are the one who doesn't know what you are talking about.

I'm sorry if I'm not impressed by your 5 scholars on the internet that have no faith, nor do they believe, nor are they led by God. I've seen many not smart people with Master's degrees. Sorry. They memorize facts. Take tests. Get degrees.

They have time, not talent.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Share your half baked posts with each other. You obviously are not looking for truth, but to build upon your ego and theories.

If you don't want to post here, feel free not to, but your personal attacks are unwarranted. If what I'm saying is false, how come I'm the one who can produce biblical evidence of what I'm saying and you can't?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why would they be immersed in Persian culture? They were exiled to Iraq by the Babylonians, not Iran. The Persians sent them back home. Now obviously a lot did not go and we do find Jews living in Iran as in the story of Esther and Mordecai, but it would be an exaggeration to say that Jews as a whole were immersed in Persian culture.

As I indicated earlier most of the influence that can be documented occurs during the Hellenistic period when both Jews and Zoroastrians are being oppressed by the Greeks.

I disagree. The Tanakh does not indicate that other gods are bad. Jews were told to worship Yahweh because He is the one who brought them out of Egypt and they owe it to Him.

Did they teach you that while you were getting your degree? So now you understand religion, because two faiths were in exile together? You don't know Jack. The Bible outlines exactly how much they mixed with that culture. They did not. Jews don't mix with Christians. Islam does not mix with either. See how that goes? Religion when you believe in ONE GOD, does not mix.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry if I'm not impressed by your 5 scholars on the internet that have no faith, nor do they believe, nor are they led by God. I've seen many not smart people with Master's degrees. Sorry. They memorize facts. Take tests. Get degrees.
They have time, not talent.

I have a PhD for your information. I mentioned getting my Master's degree only because that is where I got to personally know Dr. William Dever and his work. As for Dr. Dever's faith, I don't know how that is relevant but he began his work as a Christian but by the time I knew him he had converted to Judaism. I have heard he is now agnostic. I believe those changes were likely the result of what he found as a biblical archaeologist. And archaeologists, incidentally, don't memorize facts, and take tests. They dig stuff up and then analyze them. Unlike historians like myself they have to be good with their hands as well as their heads. Every stick of furniture in Dr. Dever's house he had made with his own hands.
A truly amazing man. I'm sorry you have such a need to defame in order to preserve your faith. Faith shouldn't be based on that kind of fear.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Did they teach you that while you were getting your degree? So now you understand religion, because two faiths were in exile together?

The Persians weren't in exile, they were simply conquered by Alexander the Great. Before that Israel was ruled by Persians but the Jews did not resent their rule because they were not oppressed like they had been under the Babylonians and the Assyrians.

The Bible outlines exactly how much they mixed with that culture. They did not. Jews don't mix with Christians. Islam does not mix with either. See how that goes? Religion when you believe in ONE GOD, does not mix.

I can see you don't mix with Jews or Muslims, but you probably should let these other religions speak for themselves. I believe in one God and my religion tells me to consort with the followers of all religions.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Now I see.
What a good atheist you are.

Obviously you don't see, because I'm not an atheist.

Many people are scholars of what they do not personally understand. A scholar believes in hypothesis, not truth.

Obviously you don't understand scholarship either. Scholars don't 'believe' hypothesis they make them. Afterwards they test them to determine whether they are true or not.

A Biblical archaelogist has nothing to do wtih belief or Christianity.

That part is correct at least.

They are taught, they do not think. They learn, they do not discover.

I guess you don't understand biblical archaeology if you think that. Archaeologist investigate. They go on digs, not listen to lectures. Your problem is they don't listen to sermons either.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,004,874.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
ON!

Thread permanently closed!

Flaming and Goading
Please treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue.
Do not attack another member's character or actions in any way, address only the content of their post and not the member personally.
NO Goading. This includes images, cartoons, or smileys clearly meant to goad.
Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members, are not Christian is not allowed.
Only the person to whom the post is addressed may report the other. Anyone may report generalized flames or goads which are addressed to a group of members.
Moderators have the right to report egregious violations of flaming or goading.
Clear violations of the flaming rule will result in bans.

OFF!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.