United States
✟16,773.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I took a day off this week as a mini-vacation. Went to a nearby town that has some bookstores that have an eclectic selection of books - not chain bookstores. I found a Greek reference book that will be helpful for me in class. It's a concordance that shows the words and their context in Greek. Some of the students are real bookworms/language nerds like me. Some of them bring odd/interesting Greek books to class. One guy bought a facsimile of an ancient manuscript and we had fun looking at that. My concordance is not that exotic but I'm sure I'll get responses like, "I have to get a book like that." Old books can be a lot of fun.

Upvote 0

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
I took a day off this week as a mini-vacation. Went to a nearby town that has some bookstores that have an eclectic selection of books - not chain bookstores. I found a Greek reference book that will be helpful for me in class. It's a concordance that shows the words and their context in Greek. Some of the students are real bookworms/language nerds like me. Some of them bring odd/interesting Greek books to class. One guy bought a facsimile of an ancient manuscript and we had fun looking at that. My concordance is not that exotic but I'm sure I'll get responses like, "I have to get a book like that." Old books can be a lot of fun.

Are any of your classmates, females that you might be interested in? :D

Upvote 0

Doctor Strangelove

Oct 5, 2012
United States
✟16,773.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, not as many women in tech fields but more than there used to be. Of course, I am not a pure tech geek. After doing tech stuff all day, I'm going to Greek class this evening and it's unlikely when I get home I will be tweaking my computer or something. I will be reading a book - the paper kind.

Day, good luck meeting your girlfriend's family!

Upvote 0

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, not as many women in tech fields but more than there used to be. Of course, I am not a pure tech geek. After doing tech stuff all day, I'm going to Greek class this evening and it's unlikely when I get home I will be tweaking my computer or something. I will be reading a book - the paper kind.

Day, good luck meeting your girlfriend's family!

LOL at "the paper kind". :D.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So I just heard Mark Welsh, the Air Force Chief of Staff, give a Veteran's Day speech. What an amazing speaker. I had tears in my eyes as he paid tribute to veterans.

In 1959 the city of Tucson, Ariz., presented the Doolittle Raiders with a set of silver goblets, each bearing the name of one of the 80 men who flew on the mission. At each of their past reunions, the surviving Raiders would conduct their solemn "Goblet Ceremony." After toasting the Raiders who died since their last meeting, they would then turn the deceased men's goblets upside down. The Nov. 9 event will mark their final toast.

Apparently there are 4 left and they aren't going to wait till the final two. So they will open a bottle that has been saved for decades for the final toast.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Doctor Strangelove

Oct 5, 2012
United States
✟16,773.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
LOL at "the paper kind". :D.

Nowadays you almost have to specify. I have some electronic books but it is one of the finer things in life to hold a well-made printed book in your hands. And it is not as tiring to read and funny thing, I have never had to recharge one of my printed books. I worked in the publishing field for ten years. I got in just when they were phasing out an old hybrid mechanical/electronic type of production and moved to computerized production. So when I see an old book I marvel at the work that was involved just to typeset it.

Upvote 0

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
I have read one book on my Kindle. I don't really love it to read. I thought I would enjoy it more than I have. I mean it comes in handy sometimes, but I was thinking it would be like a little laptop for me and I find I get frustrated using it for internet stuff, not to mention I can't use it at work because we don't have wifi and then of course the re-charging. I am doing a bible lesson plan on it now, but since this experience, I am finding that I'm just too old school. I LIKE having a "real" book to hold in my hand and carry with me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
I too like books, when I visit a new place I always have to find the library and take a tour. Is that strange or what? I just love the architecture outside and inside of libraries, the shelves, tables and old books. The smell of it really makes me happy.

Well I don't like books THAT much LOL.

Upvote 0

Doctor Strangelove

Oct 5, 2012
United States
✟16,773.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I too like books, when I visit a new place I always have to find the library eclectic a tour. Is that strange or what? I just love the architecture outside and inside of libraries, the shelves, tables and old books. The smell of it really makes me happy.

I like libraries and books. Where I grew up there were a number of independent bookstores that had an eclectic selection of old and new books. I spent many hours either in the library or browsing/shopping at these bookstores. I like a nice quality printed book - new or old.

Upvote 0