Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I am interested in hearing what the rest of you think this verse means.

Matthew 16: 19

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

What are these keys?

How do these keys unlock the kingdom of heaven?

What is it that can be bound and loosed on heaven and earth with these keys?

:)

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What are these keys?

The ability to manipulate reality itself.

What is bound or set loose are the laws of nature or the laws of physics - all the laws that bind our universe or reality together.

The key is the truth in its purest form.

If you have this key, you become like god. For the key is the truth and Word and the Word is God.

Upvote 0

NYCGuy

Mar 9, 2011
New York
✟33,519.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am interested in hearing what the rest of you think this verse means.

Matthew 16: 19

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

What are these keys?

I think the Catechism of the Catholic Church explains the official Catholic view nicely:

"553 Jesus entrusted a specific authority to Peter: "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." The "power of the keys" designates authority to govern the house of God, which is the Church. Jesus, the Good Shepherd, confirmed this mandate after his Resurrection: "Feed my sheep." The power to "bind and loose" connotes the authority to absolve sins, to pronounce doctrinal judgments, and to make disciplinary decisions in the Church. Jesus entrusted this authority to the Church through the ministry of the apostles and in particular through the ministry of Peter, the only one to whom he specifically entrusted the keys of the kingdom."

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I think the Catechism of the Catholic Church explains the official Catholic view nicely:

"553 Jesus entrusted a specific authority to Peter: "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." The "power of the keys" designates authority to govern the house of God, which is the Church. Jesus, the Good Shepherd, confirmed this mandate after his Resurrection: "Feed my sheep." The power to "bind and loose" connotes the authority to absolve sins, to pronounce doctrinal judgments, and to make disciplinary decisions in the Church. Jesus entrusted this authority to the Church through the ministry of the apostles and in particular through the ministry of Peter, the only one to whom he specifically entrusted the keys of the kingdom."

Okay, thank you for the response.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

What is bound or set loose are the laws of nature or the laws of physics - all the laws that bind our universe or reality together.

If you have this key, you become like god. For the key is the truth and Word and the Word is God.

Interesting. Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Interesting. Thanks for the input.

Your welcome, it means you'll have the means to modify or violate or defy the laws of nature as you see fit - as Jesus did.

Like in JOhn 6 when the fishing boat went to warp speed at the lake and reaching the other end of the shore from the middle instantaneously.

Things that are bound means a hidden part of natural laws like the chain reaction in nuclear fission. Nuclear fission, doesn't happen by itself in nature but remains a part of the "coding" of our reality. To unbind them means to make them a regular occurence in nature or at a certain scale for for a certain use.

Teleportation isn't an everyday occurrence but can be unbound for a certain purpose.

Things like fusion can be bound but that would extinguish the light from the stars.

This is god stuff we are talking. Would make all the armies in the world combined with all their weapons seem like tiny insignificant spec of dust in comparison.

YOu don't normally see this interpretation because religious people tend to lose all sense of rationality whenever they encounter the word "god". And not surprisingly, ignorance takes over.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

You put it into words beautifully.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You put it into words beautifully.

Thanks. Jesus is all about science of everything. Including things we are yet to discover. Once you look at jesus in this context, the truth in scriptures revealed and also the false teachings in scriptures :)

Its in science we are able to unbind the secrets of nature and perform even greater things than Jesus did like space travel, atomic transmutation etc. We are now living in his prophecy. The key is anything that has truth. Still many things waiting to be unlocked or unbound that religion of man could never hope to achieve

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark51

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2014
✟89,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 16:19 may be rendered with grammatical correctness: “Whatever you may bind on earth will be the thing bound [or, the thing already bound] in the heavens, and whatever you may loose on earth will be the thing loosed [or, the thing already loosed] in the heavens.” The translation by Charles B.[bless and do not curse]Williams here reads: “Whatever you forbid on earth must be what is already forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit on earth must be what is already permitted in heaven.” Greek scholar Robert Young’s literal translation reads: “Whatever thou mayest bind upon the earth shall be having been bound in the heavens, and whatever thou mayest loose upon the earth shall be having been loosed in the heavens.” Since other texts make clear that the resurrected Jesus remained the one true Head over the Christian congregation, it is obvious that his promise to Peter did not mean Peter’s dictating to heaven what should or should not be loosed but, rather, Peter’s being used as heaven’s instrument in the unlocking, or loosing, of certain determined things.-1 Corinthians 11:3; Ephesians 4:15,[bless and do not curse]16; 5:23; Colossians 2:8-10.

In other words, Peter never did have the prerogative to teach whatever he felt was right to teach. Heaven directed all of Peter’s moves. Peter had the power to teach only what was already loosed in heaven by Christ. In other words, Peter was not to formulate any teaching of his own, but must wait for Christ to loose it in heaven. So Peter’s receiving of the keys never gave him absolute supremacy over the church in the matter of teaching.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
As I understand it, the power of the keys was a rabbinical concept. It meant the ability to make binding interpretations of Torah. In a Christian concept this would include the NT, obviously.

It appears that Christ gave this authority to the Church, probably through its leaders.

Unfortunately the Church is divided today, so different parts of it make different decisions. But still, leaders do have the responsibility of interpreting and applying Scripture, to guide the people. I think all groups, even heterodox ones such as the JWs, have this authority. I also think God will hold them accountable for how they use it.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
As I understand it, the power of the keys was a rabbinical concept. It meant the ability to make binding interpretations of Torah. In a Christian concept this would include the NT, obviously.

It appears that Christ gave this authority to the Church, probably through its leaders.

Unfortunately the Church is divided today, so different parts of it make different decisions. But still, leaders do have the responsibility of interpreting and applying Scripture, to guide the people. I think all groups, even heterodox ones such as the JWs, have this authority. I also think God will hold them accountable for how they use it.

Thank you for the input.

Upvote 0