Jesus came to fulfil the Torah and the Law will Pass away on a certain Date.

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Has the Kingdom come yet? Has all passed away?
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.​
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.​
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.​

Notice he says, the Law and Prophets - are they nailed to the cross too?

Has everything in prophecy been fulfilled?

Jesus said when heaven and earth pass away then shall the LAW pass away.

When does that happen?

Revelation 21

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

Do you want to be Great in the Kingdom or the least?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Good point - all prophecy has not been fulfilled .. not just NT prophecy in 2 Thess 2, and the book of Revelation -- but also OT prophecy such as Daniel 7 has not all been fulfilled since it takes us to the 2nd coming of Christ. (As does Daniel 2)

Reactions: Icyspark
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said He came to fulfill the prophets. Did Jesus, while on Earth, fulfill all the prophesies ever written? I would have to answer absolutely no. Well, then what did Jesus mean when He told us that is what He came to do? I contend that Jesus meant the prophets that prophesied about His coming and dying to save mankind. If, indeed, I am correct Jesus completed the task completely. He brought the prophesies to an end. Using the same analysis then He did the same for the Law. Jesus fulfilled the Law and brought it to an end. This is what Paul understood and wrote so boldly about in Eph 2: 14 For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15 by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace

In His flesh Jesus paid the ultimate price at Calvary ratifying the new covenant with His own blood thus doing away with the old covenant and all the laws it contained.

Those who believe the new covenant is the same as the old deny that Jesus really did set aside the Law as Paul wrote. They deny that Paul wrote in 2Cor3 that the ten commandments WERE the ministry of death and were only transitory commands. They deny that they are no longer the guide for Israel and that we are now blessed with the power of the Holy Spirit given to mankind by Jesus at Pentecost. They deny Jesus words in Jn15:9 “
As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

Old covenant proponents deny Paul's harsh words to the Galatians in chapter 3 of his letter to them. The reason he was so harsh was because they had accepted the teachings of those who were hell bent on putting them under the dictates of the laws of the old covenant. Chapter 3 goes on to tell us in verse17: What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. 18 For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise. 19 Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. This is exactly what Jesus said in Matt 5 verses 16-17, He came to bring an end to the old covenant and the Laws it contained. Thank you, Jesus!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟72,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you think about this verse

Matthew 5:18

For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

Also, Jesus taught the law differently than the ways the Pharisees taught the law in several cases, I think Jesus came to show what the law was for the whole time but never revealed it until he came.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Those who believe the new covenant is the same as the old deny that Jesus really did set aside the Law as Paul wrote. They deny that Paul wrote in 2Cor3 that the ten commandments WERE the ministry of death and were only transitory commands. They deny that they are no longer the guide for Israel and that we are now blessed with the power of the Holy Spirit given to mankind by Jesus at Pentecost. They deny Jesus words in Jn15:9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

God’s Word goes on to tell us how we love our neighbor and love to God.

1 John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.
Old covenant proponents deny Paul's harsh words to the Galatians in chapter 3 of his letter to them. The reason he was so harsh was because they had accepted the teachings of those who were hell bent on putting them under the dictates of the laws of the old covenant. Chapter 3 goes on to tell us in verse17: What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. 18 For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise. 19 Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. This is exactly what Jesus said in Matt 5 verses 16-17, He came to bring an end to the old covenant and the Laws it contained. Thank you, Jesus!
Yes, the law of sacrifices for the forgiveness of sins was fulfilled in Jesus Christ Col 2:14-17, Hebrews 10:1-10 because we can go directly to Him for the forgiveness of sin instead of killing animals. Sin is still defined as breaking God’s law 1 John 3:4 and Paul points right to the Ten Commanemnts to define sin Romans 7:7

Jesus never taught we no longer need to keep God’s law- Jesus came to do the will of the Father John 6:38 Psalms 40:8 He taught us to keep God’s commanemnts often quoting from the Ten Matthew 15:3-9, Matthew 5:19-30 Matthew 19:17-19 and came to magnify the law- which means make greater, not smaller- Isaiah 42:21 and Paul reminds us what matters is keeping the commandments of God 1 Cor 7:19 which is why they are kept by His people until the coming of our Heavenly Father. Revelation 14:12, Revelation 22:14-15

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us. 1Jn3

This would have been the place John could have written that we should keep the laws of the old covenant, BUT he didn't. He told us to believe in Jesus and love one another as Jesus commanded. Amen, thank you Jesus for revealing your will through the Writings of John. Thank you for explaining to Paul in Eph 2: 15 that you ended the Law.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God’s Word goes on to tell us how we love our neighbor and love to God.

1 John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.
1Jn3:19-24 tells us exactly what the commands Jesus tells us to keep, but you deny his writings as well as the writings of Paul on the subject.

Yes, the law of sacrifices for the forgiveness of sins was fulfilled in Jesus Christ Col 2:14-17,
Show us where Col 2 is telling us that. How about being sure when giving us scripture.

Hebrews 10:1-10 because we can go directly to Him for the forgiveness of sin instead of killing animals. Sin is still defined as breaking God’s law 1 John 3:4 and Paul points right to the Ten Commanemnts to define sin Romans 7:7
This just shows that you are not telling us the real meaning of those verses. Of course, we have refuted those verses as to mean what you are trying to portray many times and yet you continue to keep doing it.

Jesus never taught we no longer need to keep God’s law-
Then why are you in a church that is not keeping ALL of God's laws? You tell us we have to and refuse to do the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you think about this verse

Matthew 5:18

For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

Also, Jesus taught the law differently than the ways the Pharisees taught the law in several cases, I think Jesus came to show what the law was for the whole time but never revealed it until he came.
Hi Dave, I believe Jesus came and did all He was supposed to do, fulfill the Law and prophets. I believe that fulfillment came at Calvary. Our friends on the other side of the issue do not believe Jesus accomplished what He came to do. I would respect them more if they heeded Jesus command that not an iota or dot of the Law would cease until... All I hear are excuses like there is no Temple and no Levites and animal sacrifices are not needed now. That is not what Jesus commanded, all of the commands in the Law were to be observed until everything is accomplished or fulfilled. They do not believe the writings of Paul or John either. Their preconceived beliefs keep them from seeing the real truth.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.​
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.​
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.​

When does that happen?

Revelation 21

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

Jesus Christ of Nazareth said " It is finished". This means fulfilled on the cross.He commands that not one law be broken if kept. This is impossible, so there is a much deeper message here. If one lives by the law , they must keep all the law. If one lives by the Spirit they are not in bondage to the law. No, the law will not pass for those under it however, those reborn are in "Him" and not in the law.
Blessings.

Galatians
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit
, you are not under the law.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YeshuaFollower

Veritas vos liberabit
Dec 6, 2022
eastern townships, Quebec
✟17,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us. 1Jn3

This would have been the place John could have written that we should keep the laws of the old covenant, BUT he didn't. He told us to believe in Jesus and love one another as Jesus commanded. Amen, thank you Jesus for revealing your will through the Writings of John. Thank you for explaining to Paul in Eph 2: 15 that you ended the Law.
Hi Bob, are you saying we do not have to follow the commandments?

JFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

guevaraj

an oil seller in the story of the ten virgins
Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Brother, "Bob S" is using a bad translation he prefers over a better translation in the following passage! The human traditions in Judaism led to death by sabotaging God's Ten Commandments so as not to take away sin that would otherwise have been taken away if they had done what God asked, instead of replacing what God asked with their own rules, in their "human effort" to help them obey the law by sabotaging the law so as not to take away sin, which made the law easier to bear. For example, in order not to use God's name in vain, Judaism added the human rule not to pronounce God's name to help obey God's law by preventing them from having to learn not to misuse His name. Judaism managed to bypass the active part of taking away their sin by replacing God's law with their own rule not to utter God's name at all. These human rules, instead of God's Ten Commandments, were removed by Jesus when He started circumcising, no longer done by humans.

For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances (human rules), that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility. (Ephesians 2:14-16 ESV)​

Paul knows that these Ten Commandments can be sabotaged by human rules so that they don't take away sin and, because this sabotage is found in Judaism, instead of focusing on obedience to the law, as Judaism did by making up their own rules to help them obey the law of God, Paul focused on the purpose of the Ten Commandments to remove sin. By focusing on sin instead of obedience to God's law, Paul protects God's Ten Commandments from human rules that sabotage the purpose of God's law to take away sin when obeyed.

Well then, since God’s grace has set us free from the law, does that mean we can go on sinning? Of course not! Don’t you realize that you become the slave of whatever you choose to obey? You can be a slave to sin, which leads to death, or you can choose to obey God, which leads to righteous living. Thank God! Once you were slaves of sin, but now you wholeheartedly obey this teaching we have given you. Now you are free from your slavery to sin, and you have become slaves to righteous living. (Romans 6:15-18 NLT)​

We need to do what God asks and not follow our own human rules, because God is not a "blind guide" to use laws to remove sin that our own rules do not remove. Judaism leads to death because they have substituted many of God's laws with their own rules that do not remove sin. Paul wants you to keep the law of God without talking about obedience to the law when he focuses instead on the purpose of the law to take away sin when obeyed.

“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people’s faces. You won’t go in yourselves, and you don’t let others enter either. “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you cross land and sea to make one convert, and then you turn that person into twice the child of hell you yourselves are! “Blind guides! What sorrow awaits you! For you say that it means nothing to swear ‘by God’s Temple,’ but that it is binding to swear ‘by the gold in the Temple.’ Blind fools! Which is more important—the gold or the Temple that makes the gold sacred? And you say that to swear ‘by the altar’ is not binding, but to swear ‘by the gifts on the altar’ is binding. How blind! For which is more important—the gift on the altar or the altar that makes the gift sacred? When you swear ‘by the altar,’ you are swearing by it and by everything on it. And when you swear ‘by the Temple,’ you are swearing by it and by God, who lives in it. And when you swear ‘by heaven,’ you are swearing by the throne of God and by God, who sits on the throne. (Matthew 23:13-22 NLT)​

United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

JFF
It is not what I am saying, it is what scripture is saying to us. Commands that portray morality are forever. There are many ways we can harm our fellow man and thus disobey our Savior. Christians or for that matter all the inhabitants on Earth are under the new and better covenant. The covenant given to Israel was full of ritual commands that would never pertain to the remainder of mankind. The Love command Jesus gave to man in Jn15 covers all sins of morality. If we really love our neighbor, wouldn't we do everything to make it known to them? Here is a few of the ways not listed in the ten commands:
- Pride
- Greed
- Envy
- Wrath, Fits of Rage
- Lust
- Gluttony
- Sloth
- Dishonesty, Deception
- Impurity, Debauchery
- Witchcraft, Sorcery
- Hatred, Indifference
- Jealousy
- Showing Favoritism, Prejudice and Discrimination
- Selfish Ambition, Self-Centeredness
- Withholding Remedy to Human or Animal Needs
- Drunkenness, Drug Abuse
- Fornication, Sodomy, inappropriate behavior with animals
- Discord, Dissensions, Factions
- Unbelief, Disbelief, Agnosticism, Atheism
- and the most important one, LOVE.

The ten commands were all about duty to God and man. The LOVE command is about love to God and man.

• Agree
Reactions: Cribstyl
Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟112,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Do a deep-dive study on the word rendered here as fulfil in your quote, (G4137 pleroo), and you may come to find by its usage in the N/T that it actually means to cram or stuff to the full, to fill up fully or to fill up completely, to fully supply, to perfect, and so on: and it is only in this sense that it may sometimes mean to complete or fulfill something.

Matthew 5:17 SLT
17 Think not that I have come to abolish the law, or the prophets: for I have come not abolish, but to complete.

Matthew 5:17 TS2009
17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Torah or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to complete.

Matthew 5:17 CEV
17 Don't suppose I came to do away with the Law and the Prophets. I did not come to do away with them, but to give them their full meaning.

Matthew 5:17 Anderson New Testament
17 Think not that I have come to make the law or the prophets of no effect. I have not come to make them of no effect, but to give them their full efficiency.

This way of viewing the statement is proven to be more correct by exactly what follows in the passage: he proceeds to correct some of the erroneous interpretations and misunderstandings of the Torah taught by "those of old time". What he is doing is filling up the correct understanding of the Torah to the full.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brother, "Bob S" is using a bad translation he prefers over a better translation in the following passage!
There are no "bad" translations of the Bible when it is portraying LOVE. Too bad you are fixated on the old covenant command of keeping a day. You are missing the opportunity of telling the World what we need is to LOVE. Jesus is not impressed with how well you keep a day, but He is impressed in how well we treat our fellow man.
Matthew 25:40
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Reactions: Cribstyl
Upvote 0

guevaraj

an oil seller in the story of the ten virgins
Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
There are no "bad" translations of the Bible when it is portraying LOVE. Too bad you are fixated on the old covenant command of keeping a day. You are missing the opportunity of telling the World what we need is to LOVE. Jesus is not impressed with how well you keep a day, but He is impressed in how well we treat our fellow man.
Matthew 25:40
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
Brother, God does not assume we know how to love! After Jesus, we no longer have an outline of the Ten Commandments but a fully fleshed out total of Eleven Commandments expressed through the exemplary life of Jesus to "follow". Jesus tells us in the following passage that there is only one more new Eleventh Commandment to add to the previous Ten Commandments, not possible before Jesus, which is to "follow" His example when He says: "there is still one thing you haven't done".

Once a religious leader asked Jesus this question: “Good Teacher, what should I do to inherit eternal life?” “Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked him. “Only God is truly good. But to answer your question, you know the commandments (entolé): ‘You must not commit adultery. You must not murder. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. Honor your father and mother.’” The man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.” When Jesus heard his answer, he said, “There is still one thing you haven’t done. Sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” (Luke 18:18-22 NLT)​

The new Eleventh Commandment above is found in the following passage, where to do "just as I have" is to "follow" His example by keeping a total of Eleven Commandments when Jesus adds one more to the previous Ten Commandments, saying above: "there is still one thing you haven't done".

As soon as Judas left the room, Jesus said, “The time has come for the Son of Man to enter into his glory, and God will be glorified because of him. And since God receives glory because of the Son, he will give his own glory to the Son, and he will do so at once. Dear children, I will be with you only a little longer. And as I told the Jewish leaders, you will search for me, but you can’t come where I am going. So now I am giving you a new commandment (entolé): Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” (John 13:31-35 NLT)​

In fact, since Jesus obeyed the previous Ten Commandments and we are to "follow" His example in the new Eleventh Commandment, all the previous Ten Commandments are included in the new Eleventh Commandment. Jesus tells us in the following passage that those who truly love as God taught us are those who obey the Eleven Commandments of Jesus. Those who obey the Eleven Commandments are those who love Jesus.

Those who accept my commandments (entolé) and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.” (John 14:21 NLT)​

United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Biblical Truth is extremely important. What is Truth?

Psalms 119:151 You are near, O LORD, And all Your commandments are truth.

All of God’s commandments are truth, which of course includes the Sabbath commandment. Exodus 20:8-11. We are sanctified by the Truth of God’s Word John 17:17 and we must worship Him in Truth and Spirit John 4:23-24. Jesus said one worships in vain when they keep man-made rules over the commandments of God quoting right from God’s unit of Ten that He personally wrote for us. Matthew 15:3-9 we are warned those who keep not His commandments there is no Truth. 1 John 2:3-5 which is why His law is perfect for converting the soul Psalms 19:7

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It is not what I am saying, it is what scripture is saying to us. Commands that portray morality are forever. There are many ways we can harm our fellow man and thus disobey our Savior. Christians or for that matter all the inhabitants on Earth are under the new and better covenant. The covenant given to Israel was full of ritual commands that would never pertain to the remainder of mankind. The Love command Jesus gave to man in Jn15 covers all sins of morality. If we really love our neighbor, wouldn't we do everything to make it known to them? Here is a few of the ways not listed in the ten commands:
- Pride
- Greed
- Envy
- Wrath, Fits of Rage
- Lust
- Gluttony
- Sloth
- Dishonesty, Deception
- Impurity, Debauchery
- Witchcraft, Sorcery
- Hatred, Indifference
- Jealousy
- Showing Favoritism, Prejudice and Discrimination
- Selfish Ambition, Self-Centeredness
- Withholding Remedy to Human or Animal Needs
- Drunkenness, Drug Abuse
- Fornication, Sodomy, inappropriate behavior with animals
- Discord, Dissensions, Factions
- Unbelief, Disbelief, Agnosticism, Atheism
- and the most important one, LOVE.

The ten commands were all about duty to God and man. The LOVE command is about love to God and man.
You are getting fruits of the spirit confused with the commandments of God. Jesus said if you love Me, keep My commandments John 14:15 which is repeated right from the Ten Commandments- showing mercy to thousands who love Me and keep My commandments. Exodus 20:6. Love to God is obeying (keeping) His commandments 1 John 5:3

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus Christ of Nazareth said " It is finished".
It means we cannot add anything to His covenant- it was ratified by His blood.
This means fulfilled on the cross.He commands that not one law be broken if kept. This is impossible, so there is a much deeper message here. If one lives by the law , they must keep all the law.
Just curious, are you suggesting that God would give us commandments that we will be judged by James 2:10-12 that are impossible to keep? That seems to go against the character of God. John tells us His commandments are not burdensome 1 John 5:3 and while we can’t keep them on our own, we can through Christ Philippians 4:13 There will never be a time God will be okay with us sinning (breaking God’s law) 1 John 3:4 Romans 7:7. Many teach that the devil has more power to keep us in sin than Jesus does to keep us from sin, but that is not what I believe or what Jesus teaches. John 14:15-18
If one lives by the Spirit they are not in bondage to the law. No, the law will not pass for those under it however, those reborn are in "Him" and not in the law.
Blessings.
Bondage is sin, not the law. Really you think it’s bondage to only worship God? Or not to bow to idols? To vain His holy name? To keep His holy Sabbath that God blessed and sanctified-this is your definition of bondage?

It’s not God who wants us to think obedience to Him is bondage, He wants our obedience because its an act of love to Him. It’s only bondage if there’s a love problem.
Galatians
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit
, you are not under the law.

The Spirit and God’s commandments are in harmony, not conflict - The Spirit is what convicts us of sin John 16:8 (breaking God’s law) and leads us to all Truth John 14:15-28 which is God’s Word and His commandments John 17:17 Psalms 119:142 Psalms 119:151 and the Word warns us if we keep not His commandments there is no Truth in us 1 John 2:3-6 so therefore are not led by His Spirit which is given when we obey. Acts 5:32 Which is why we are warned repeatedly in scripture- ”TODAY” if you hear His voice - do not harden your heart (to disobedience and rebellion) . Psalms 95:7-8, Hebrews 3:15, Hebrews 4:6-7. We might not get that chance tomorrow as we know not what tomorrow brings and can grieve away His sweet Spirit by hardening our hearts where one no longer hears God’s voice.

We are not under the condemnation of the law if we are in obedience to God. If we are walking in the Spirit, we are keeping the commandments John 14:15-18, Romans 8:1-8. The commandments are like a mirror Romans 7:7 it’s a way to test to see if we are in harmony with God’s will for us. Psalms 40:8, Hebrews 8:10

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Do a deep-dive study on the word rendered here as fulfil in your quote, (G4137 pleroo), and you may come to find by its usage in the N/T that it actually means to cram or stuff to the full, to fill up fully or to fill up completely, to fully supply, to perfect, and so on: and it is only in this sense that it may sometimes mean to complete or fulfill something.

Matthew 5:17 SLT
17 Think not that I have come to abolish the law, or the prophets: for I have come not abolish, but to complete.

Matthew 5:17 TS2009
17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Torah or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to complete.

Matthew 5:17 CEV
17 Don't suppose I came to do away with the Law and the Prophets. I did not come to do away with them, but to give them their full meaning.

Matthew 5:17 Anderson New Testament
17 Think not that I have come to make the law or the prophets of no effect. I have not come to make them of no effect, but to give them their full efficiency.

This way of viewing the statement is proven to be more correct by exactly what follows in the passage: he proceeds to correct some of the erroneous interpretations and misunderstandings of the Torah taught by "those of old time". What he is doing is filling up the correct understanding of the Torah to the full.
Yes, it is like fulfilling a wedding vow- is it fulfilled when we keep our marriage vows, or when we commit adultery? The word fufill here in Matthew 5:17 means to fill full.

Happy Sabbath!

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: daq
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

When does that happen?

Revelation 21

There weren't any laws that were nailed to Christ's cross, but rather what was nailed to his cross was the list of the sins that we have committed, so he died to pay the penalty for our sins.

Instructions for how to act in accordance with God's nature can't pass away unless God first ceases to exist, so His law will never pass away, especially because it is eternal (Psalms 119:160). In Matthew 5:17-19, Christ was using idioms to express that God's law would never pass away, not defining a time when God's law would pass away. Christ saying that he would never forsake us even until the end of the age does not imply that at the end of the age he is then going to forsaken us, but rather he was saying that he would never forsake us.

Upvote 0