Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It seems that many Jewish Christians in Jerusalem were zealous for the law and still following it.
That's something I'd like to learn more about - the period from Pentecost until the destruction of the Temple and what life "looked like" for most of the Jewish followers of Christ. I'm sure it was hard to shed their understanding (and observance) of the law.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Let's not get into a sabbatical war here....If there is one word that will draw sabbatarians[7 day sabbath keepers] to a thread it is the word "sabbath".
I really do not wish to see this thread moved over to here:

https://www.christianforums.com/forums/sabbath-and-the-law.1131/
Sabbath and The Law

Sabbath day worship and keeping the law

This thread is primarily on why Jesus used the word "sabbath" in Matt 24 and I think we have pretty much established that the Olivet Discourse is about wrath and tribulation upon the Jews, whether in 1st century Judea, or modern day.

Matthew 24:

19 But woe unto them that are with child and to them that give suck in those days!
20 And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on a sabbath:

21 for then shall be great tribulation, such as hath not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, nor ever shall be.

Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

When Jesus spoke to the disciples He did not speak in parables. He said what He meant to say.
Mat 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

He is not vague. Not "a" sabbath, but "the" sabbath.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Mat 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Do you ever look at the greek before you post something like that?
You just lost credibilty......

Not one greek text shows the article "the" in that verse [someone can tell me if I am wrong about this]

http://www.greeknewtestament.com/index.htm

en = in

Matthew 24:20
Stephens 1550 Textus Receptus
proseucesqe de ina mh genhtai h fugh umwn ceimwnoV mhde en sabbatw
Scrivener 1894 Textus Receptus
Byzantine Majority
proseucesqe de ina mh genhtai h fugh umwn ceimwnoV mhde sabbatw
Alexandrian
Hort and Westcott

Last edited:
Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Do you ever look at the greek before you post something like that?
You just lost credibilty......

Not one greek text shows the article "the" in that verse [someone can tell me if I am wrong about this]

http://www.greeknewtestament.com/index.htm

en = in

Matthew 24:20
Stephens 1550 Textus Receptus
Scrivener 1894 Textus Receptus
Byzantine Majority
Alexandrian
Hort and Westcott

Well, now you caught me---no I hadn't seen the Greek--just perused a few translations.

Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath.

New Living Translation
And pray that your flight will not be in winter or on the Sabbath.

English Standard Version
Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on a Sabbath.

Berean Study Bible
Pray that your flight will not occur in the winter or on the Sabbath.

Berean Literal Bible
But pray that your flight might not be in winter, nor on a Sabbath.

New American Standard Bible
"But pray that your flight will not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath.

King James Bible
But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

Christian Standard Bible
Pray that your escape may not be in winter or on a Sabbath.

Contemporary English Version
And pray that you won't have to escape in winter or on a Sabbath.

Good News Translation
Pray to God that you will not have to run away during the winter or on a Sabbath!

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Pray that your escape may not be in winter or on a Sabbath.

International Standard Version
Pray that it may not be in winter or on a Sabbath when you flee,

NET Bible
Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on a Sabbath.

New Heart English Bible
Pray that your flight will not be in the winter, nor on a Sabbath,

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
But pray that your escape will not be in winter, neither on the Sabbath.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Pray that it will not be winter or a day of worship when you flee.

New American Standard 1977
“But pray that your flight may not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath;

Jubilee Bible 2000
But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter neither on the sabbath day,

King James 2000 Bible
But pray you that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

American King James Version

American Standard Version
And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on a sabbath:

Douay-Rheims Bible
But pray that your flight be not in the winter, or on the sabbath.

Darby Bible Translation
But pray that your flight may not be in winter time nor on sabbath:

English Revised Version
And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on a sabbath:

Webster's Bible Translation
But pray ye that your flight may not be in the winter, neither on the sabbath:

Weymouth New Testament
"But pray that your flight may not be in winter, nor on the Sabbath;

World English Bible
Pray that your flight will not be in the winter, nor on a Sabbath,

Young's Literal Translation
and pray ye that your flight may not be in winter, nor on a sabbath;
Study Bible
The Abomination of Desolation
…19How miserable those days will be for pregnant and nursing mothers! 20Pray that your flight will not occur in the winter or on the Sabbath. 21For at that time there will be great tribulation, unmatched from the beginning of the world until now, and never to be seen again.…
Berean Study Bible · Download
Cross References
Matthew 24:19
How miserable those days will be for pregnant and nursing mothers!

Matthew 24:21
For at that time there will be great tribulation, unmatched from the beginning of the world until now, and never to be seen again.

Treasury of Scripture

neither.

Exodus 16:29 See, for that the LORD has given you the sabbath, therefore he gives …

Acts 1:12 Then returned they to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which …

Silly me. But then---why would Jesus warn about not fleeing on a Jewish feast day? Most feast days were quite joyous occasions---people all over the place--seems like a good time to blend in with the crowds.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
When Jesus spoke to the disciples He did not speak in parables. He said what He meant to say.
Do you ever look at the greek before you post something like that? You just lost credibilty......
Well, now you caught me---no I hadn't seen the Greek--just perused a few translations......
Silly me. But then---why would Jesus warn about not fleeing on a Jewish feast day? Most feast days were quite joyous occasions---people all over the place--seems like a good time to blend in with the crowds.
The call me the "greek meister".
Generally I check the greek and hebrew before I post verses.

Here we have the prophecy of both the desolation and the voice of the bride and bridegroom in 1st century Jerusalem......

Jeremiah 7:34 [Revelation 18:19, 23]
And I cause to cease from cities of Y@huwdah, and from streets of Y@ruwshalaim voice of elation and voice of rejoicing,
voice of bridegroom, and voice of bride,
that to desolation the Land shall become.

Luke 21:20
"whenever yet ye may be seeing Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, then be ye knowing! that has-neared the desolating<2050> of Her"

Revelation 18:
19 And they cast dust upon their heads and cried-out, weeping and mourning, saying "Woe! Woe! the great city, wherein all were made rich, that had ships at sea, by reason of her prices.
That to one hour She was desolated<2049>.

Bride and bridegroom are used together in only 2 verses of the NT, and who else but John the Revelator:

John 3:29
He who has the bride is the Bridegroom;

but the friend of the Bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the Bridegroom's voice. Therefore this joy of mine is fulfilled.

Revelation 18:

and light of a lamp shall not no be appearing in Thee still
and voice of bridegroom and of bride not no should be being heard in Thee still

That the merchants of Thee were the great ones/grandees of the land, that in the sorcery of Thee were deceived all the Nations [Jeremiah 7:34]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the great tribulation of Daniel 12 and matthew 24 are the same. When do/did they occur? 1st century or still future from us?

Dan 12:1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.
Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

If the event above is the same event described by Christ in John 5:27-30, which is the bodily resurrection and judgment of "all" the dead, then the timing of the event is found in Revelation 11:18.

Rev 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

That would be future.

What do you think ?

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It says this:

Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

sanctified
SANC'TIFIED, pp.

1. Made holy; consecrated; set apart for sacred services.

2. Affectedly holy.

Do you think Adam and Eve were keeping the Sabbath day before the fall, because God "sanctified" that day?

Exo_31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

Do you think those who do not keep the sundown Friday till sundown Saturday Sabbath should be stoned to death, to keep that day "sanctified"?

Is that why it is called "the ministry of death, engraved on stone" in 2 Corinthians 3:6-8?

Is that day more important than the day Jesus died at Calvary?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Do you think Adam and Eve were keeping the Sabbath day before the fall, because God "sanctified" that day?

Exo_31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

Do you think those who do not keep the sundown Friday till sundown Saturday Sabbath should be stoned to death, to keep that day "sanctified"?

Is that why it is called "the ministry of death, engraved on stone" in 2 Corinthians 3:6-8?

Is that day more important than the day Jesus died at Calvary?

Who else --seeing as the Sabbath was made for man. and they were the only humans around.

Why would I want anyone---other than child molesters--to be stoned to death??? What commandments are kept or broken is between God and the individual. It is He that we all answer to. It is a commandment, no less of one than thou shalt not murder. Break one, you break them all. Keeping them will not save you, unrepentantly breaking them, will keep you out of God's salvation.

I do not place any importance on days--I could care less what day of the week is kept. The one that does care and designated a certain day for a certain reason is God, and Him I will not argue with. He designated it, He alone can change it, and never did. Not one word from Him after the resurrection about it being changed to honor his resurrection, He had already set a day to honor Him as the creator.
And Jesus always kept the Sabbath and we will continue to keep it

Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dan 12:1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.
Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

If the event above is the same event described by Christ in John 5:27-30, which is the bodily resurrection and judgment of "all" the dead, then the timing of the event is found in Revelation 11:18.

Rev 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

That would be future.

What do you think ?

I’m trying to wrap my head around how the great tribulation and resurrection occur within a 42 month period in Daniel 12, but the great tribulation and resurrection occur 2000+ years apart in Matthew 24, considering Matthew 24 and Daniel 12 are about the same event.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m trying to wrap my head around how the great tribulation and resurrection occur within a 42 month period in Daniel 12, but the great tribulation and resurrection occur 2000+ years apart in Matthew 24, considering Matthew 24 and Daniel 12 are about the same event.

That is not what I said.

"The times of the Gentiles" found in Luke 21:24 began when Paul began his ministry to the Gentiles.

That time period becomes full at the Second Coming of Christ.

The last 3 1/2 years of "the times of the Gentiles" is "the great tribulation" in my viewpoint.

That makes the term in Matthew's Gospel parallel to the term used in Luke's Gospel, in the same way that Matthew 24:15-16, is parallel to Luke 21:20-21, even though they do not use exactly the same language.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who else --seeing as the Sabbath was made for man. and they were the only humans around.

Why would I want anyone---other than child molesters--to be stoned to death??? What commandments are kept or broken is between God and the individual. It is He that we all answer to. It is a commandment, no less of one than thou shalt not murder. Break one, you break them all. Keeping them will not save you, unrepentantly breaking them, will keep you out of God's salvation.

I do not place any importance on days--I could care less what day of the week is kept. The one that does care and designated a certain day for a certain reason is God, and Him I will not argue with. He designated it, He alone can change it, and never did. Not one word from Him after the resurrection about it being changed to honor his resurrection, He had already set a day to honor Him as the creator.
And Jesus always kept the Sabbath and we will continue to keep it

Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.

Isaiah 66:23 is a reference to periods of time, instead of worship days, based on Colossians 2:16-17.

Are you keeping the Sabbath of the Mosaic Covenant?

Do you think the New Covenant and the Old Covenant found in 2 Corinthians 3:6-8, and Hebrews 8:6-13, and Hebrews 12:18-24, are the same?

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is not what I said.

"The times of the Gentiles" found in Luke 21:24 began when Paul began his ministry to the Gentiles.

That time period becomes full at the Second Coming of Christ.

The last 3 1/2 years of "the times of the Gentiles" is "the great tribulation" in my viewpoint.

That makes the term in Matthew's Gospel parallel to the term used in Luke's Gospel, in the same way that Matthew 24:15-16, is parallel to Luke 21:20-21, even though they do not use exactly the same language.

I know that’s not what you said. Sorry if it can off that way, I was just thinking out loud when I said ‘I’m trying to wrap my head around’.

So you believe the tribulation of Matthew 24:20-21 was not about the 1st century, but about the last 42 months of the times of the gentiles to take place 2000+ years later?

20 Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on a Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be.
Matthew 24:20-21 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Matthew 24:20-21&version=ESV

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know that’s not what you said. Sorry if it can off that way, I was just thinking out loud when I said ‘I’m trying to wrap my head around’.

So you believe the tribulation of Matthew 24:20-21 was not about the 1st century, but about the last 42 months of the times of the gentiles to take place 2000+ years later?

20 Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on a Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be.
Matthew 24:20-21 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Matthew 24:20-21&version=ESV

Mat 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

I am not sure that the word "tribulation" in the verse above is necessarily referring to the same "tribulation" in the verse below.
We are told throughout the New Testament that we are to expect "tribulation".
Therefore, they do not have to be referring to the same time period.

However, "the times of the Gentiles" could refer to the whole period of the "Church Age", which has been filled with "tribulation".

Therefore, "the times of the Gentiles" is also a period of "tribulation" for Christ's Church.

Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

Luke's Gospel seems clearer on this issue.
Luke seems to be using the term "times of the Gentiles", in place of a period of "tribulation".

This seems to be the best way to make the two passages parallel, in my opinion, since Paul also referred to "the time of the Gentiles" in Romans 11:25. Because of Romans 11:25, I cannot make it only about 70AD.

Look below at what John said on the Island of Patmos.

Rev_1:9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Based on John's statement above I do not think making "the times of the Gentiles" to be equal with the "tribulation" period is unreasonable.

Luk 21:24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles,

until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

Luk 21:25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;
Luk 21:26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.
Luk 21:27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mat 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

I am not sure that the word "tribulation" in the verse above is necessarily referring to the same "tribulation" in the verse below.
We are told throughout the New Testament that we are to expect "tribulation".
Therefore, they do not have to be referring to the same time period.

If matthew 24:21 is about the great tribulation of the Jews in the 1st century, which correlates with the tribulation of Daniel 12:1,
Matthew 24:21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be.
Daniel 12:1 There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then.
Then the great tribulation of Matthew 24:21 will only last for 42 months:
Daniel 12:7 and I heard him swear by him who lives forever, saying, “It will be for a time, times and half a time.b When the power of the holy people has been finally broken, all these things will be completed.”

The resurrection is also one of the "all these things will be completed" at the time of the 42 months.
Daniel 12:2,7 Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt. , “It will be for a time, times and half a time.b When the power of the holy people has been finally broken, all these things will be completed.”

Considering that the resurrection of Matthew 24 occurs 'immediately after the tribulation', I would say the tribulation of Matthew 24:29 is the exact same as the tribulation of Matthew 24:31, because according to daniel, the resurrection takes place within the context of the 42 months of the great tribulation.

So by logical conclusion if we are going off of Daniel 12 , it is impossible to insert a 2000 year gap between the great tribulation of Matthew 24:21 and the resurrection of Matthew 24:31. Either the great tribulation and the resurrection of matthew 24 occurred in the 1st century within the 42 month context of the Jewish Roman war or the great tribulation and resurrection of Matthew 24 were not about the 1st century and not directed towards Jesus' disciples, but were about a 42 month period 2000 years later.

Because of Daniel 12, the great tribulation is tied to the resurrection by a period of 42 months. They cannot be separated. There cannot be a 2000 year gap, UNLESS a time, times, and a half of time is not 42 months, but thousands of years.

Luke's Gospel seems clearer on this issue.
Luke seems to be using the term "times of the Gentiles", in place of a period of "tribulation".

This seems to be the best way to make the two passages parallel, in my opinion, since Paul also referred to "the time of the Gentiles" in Romans 11:25. Because of Romans 11:25, I cannot make it only about 70AD.

Look below at what John said on the Island of Patmos.

Rev_1:9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Based on John's statement above I do not think making "the times of the Gentiles" to be equal with the "tribulation" period is unreasonable.

Doesn't revelation tell us how long the gentiles will trample Jerusalem? 42 months?

Revelation 11:2 but do not measure the court outside the temple; leave that out, for it is given over to the gentiles, and they will trample the holy city for forty-two months.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Doesn't revelation tell us how long the gentiles will trample Jerusalem? 42 months?
Revelation 11:2 but do not measure the court outside the temple; leave that out, for it is given over to the gentiles, and they will trample the holy city for forty-two months.
Hi claninja.

If you look at the greek of Reve 11:2, the phrase John uses is "be casting out outside".

The court was inside the Temple and outside of the Sanctuary.
It contained the water laver, altar of sacrifice/burnt-offerings and the Priesthood that performed the Temple services and inside the Sanctuary [holy place and most holy place]

Revelation 11:1
And there was given unto me a reed, like unto a staff, saying-- "Be rousing! and Measure! the Sanctuary<3485> of the God, and the Altar[Golden Altar of Incense], and them who are doing homage therein;
2 and, the Court/Palace<833>, the one without the Sanctuary<3485, be casting out!<1544> out-side and not thou should be measuring it. [Galatians 4:30]
That it was given unto the nations

What I found interesting while studying on #1544, was that exact form of the greek word used in Revelation 11:2 is used in only 1 other verse in the NT:

Galatians 4:30
but what saith the Writing? `Be casting out!<1544> the maid-servant and her son,
for the son of the maid-servant may not be heir with the son of the free-woman;'
[Genesis 21:10/Revelation 11:2 "court of the Preists]

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The location of the temple at the beginning of Revelation 11 is found at the end of the chapter.

Rev 11:2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

Rev 11:19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

Is the "holy city" described as "spiritually like Sodom and Egypt", or is it a reference to New Jerusalem, found at the beginning of the book?

Rev 11:8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

Rev_3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Do you think the resurrection of the dead occurred in 70 AD?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The location of the temple at the beginning of Revelation 11 is found at the end of the chapter.
Bad translation.
The word "temple" is never used once in Revelation.........
Here is the concordance for "#2411":

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2411&t=YLT
Strong's Number G2411 matches the Greek ἱερόν (hieron), which occurs 71 times in 67 verses

1st time used:

Matthew 4:5
Then the devil taketh Him up into the holy City, and setteth Him on a pinnacle of the temple<2411>

Last time used:

1Corinthans 9:13
Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple?<2411> and they which wait at the altar[altar of sacrifice]? are partakers with the altar?

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G3485&t=YLT
Strong's Number G3485 matches the Greek ναός (naos), which occurs 46 times in 40 verses

1st time used:

Matthew 23:16
'Woe! to you blind guides, who are saying, 'Whoever may swear by the Sanctuary<3485>, it is nothing, but whoever may swear by the gold of the Sanctuary<3485> -- is debtor'!

Last time used:

Revelation 21:22
And a Sanctuary<3485> I did not see in it,
for the Lord God, the Almighty, is its Sanctuary<3485>, and the Lamb,

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi claninja.

If you look at the greek of Reve 11:2, the phrase John uses is "be casting out outside".

The court was inside the Temple and outside of the Sanctuary.
It contained the water laver, altar of sacrifice/burnt-offerings and the Priesthood that performed the Temple services and inside the Sanctuary [holy place and most holy place]

Revelation 11:1
And there was given unto me a reed, like unto a staff, saying-- "Be rousing! and Measure! the Sanctuary<3485> of the God, and the Altar[Golden Altar of Incense], and them who are doing homage therein;
2 and, the Court/Palace<833>, the one without the Sanctuary<3485, be casting out!<1544> out-side and not thou should be measuring it. [Galatians 4:30]
That it was given unto the nations

What I found interesting while studying on #1544, was that exact form of the greek word used in Revelation 11:2 is used in only 1 other verse in the NT:

Galatians 4:30
but what saith the Writing? `Be casting out!<1544> the maid-servant and her son,
for the son of the maid-servant may not be heir with the son of the free-woman;'
[Genesis 21:10/Revelation 11:2 "court of the Preists]

Interesting, so it appears the sanctuary is measured. What do you think that means?

But the outer court is cast out and given to the nations and the holy city Jerusalem is trampled by the gentiles for 42 months.

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Rev 11:2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

Rev 11:19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

I can definitely agree with this. What does it typically mean when something is measured? The temple is measured, but the court is cast out and the holy city is trampled by the gentiles for 42 months.

Is the "holy city" described as "spiritually like Sodom and Egypt", or is it a reference to New Jerusalem, found at the beginning of the book?

Rev 11:8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

Rev_3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

I don't believe the heavenly Jerusalem can be trampled by gentiles. I would say it is the earthly Jerusalem.

Do you think the resurrection of the dead occurred in 70 AD?

Logically, the great tribulation cannot be separated from the resurrection by more than 42 months. Considering that Jesus Christ has already died for our sins and the temple no longer stands and hasn't for 2000 years, I would say the way to heaven has been revealed. I believe when my earthly tent dies, I will have a heavenly dwelling. I believe that is the resurrection.

Upvote 0