Matt 24:20 Pray your flight not be on a sabbath or in winter

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Please get tickets in advance, and confirm reservations before attending either one.... fastne your seat belts, we are about to take off...... thank you .......

The the great tribulation of Daniel 12 is different from the great tribulation of Matthew 24?

• Haha
Reactions: claninja
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
High sabbath is an English translation

high sabbaths are not mentioned in the Old Testament. They are called holy convocations.

The sabbath in John 19 appear to be a literal sabbath, 7th day. It also appears that the sabbath was a great one.

Lev_23:15 And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:
Lev_23:38 Beside the sabbaths of the LORD, and beside your gifts, and beside all your vows, and beside all your freewill offerings, which ye give unto the LORD.
Lev_25:8 And thou shalt number seven sabbaths of years unto thee, seven times seven years; and the space of the seven sabbaths of years shall be unto thee forty and nine years.

Lev 25:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye come into the land which I give you, then shall the land keep a sabbath unto the LORD.
Lev 25:3 Six years thou shalt sow thy field, and six years thou shalt prune thy vineyard, and gather in the fruit thereof;
Lev 25:4 But in the seventh year shall be a sabbath of rest unto the land, a sabbath for the LORD: thou shalt neither sow thy field, nor prune thy vineyard.

The sabbath of the land is also mirrored in the 1000 years we will be in heaven with Jesus---all the land on earth will be desolate. Laid waste by His coming--a 1000 year Sabbath.

Pe_3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
2Pe_3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
My Bible says their commandment was to stay away from the tree.

I find no command for them to keep the Sabbath day.

There is no commandment to keep a Sabbath day before Exodus.

So you think God made the Sabbath for man, but then did not have them keep it until Exodus????!!!

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Encyclopedias - International Standard Bible Encyclopedia - Hallow; Hallowed
HALLOW; HALLOWED

hal'-o, hal'-od, hal'-o-ed ("to render or treat as holy," Anglo-Saxon halgian, from halig, "holy"):

It translates several forms of qadhash, "set apart," "devote," "consecrate," frequently rendered in the King James Version, the Revised Version (British and American), the American Standard Revised Version "consecrate," "dedicate," "holy," and especially "sanctify," closely synonymous, "hallow" perhaps containing more of the thought of reverence, sacredness, holiness. It embraces the idea of marked separateness. It is applied to persons, as the priest (Leviticus 22:2,3); to places or buildings, as the middle of the temple court (1 Kings 8:64); the tabernacle (Exodus 40:9); to things, like the portion of the sacrifice set apart for the priests (Numbers 18:8); to times and seasons, as the Sabbath (Jeremiah 17:22; Ezekiel 20:20) and the Jubilee year (Leviticus 25:10); to God Himself (Leviticus 22:32). Its underlying idea of the separateness of holy nature or holy use works out into several often overlapping senses: (1) To set apart, dedicate, offer, reserve, for the worship or service of God: Exodus 28:38, "The holy things, which the children of Israel shall hallow in all their holy gifts"; also Leviticus 22:3; Numbers 18:29, etc.; 2 Kings 12:4, "All the money the hallowed things" (the King James Version "dedicated"), etc. (2) To make holy, by selecting, setting apart, claiming, or acknowledging as His own: Genesis 2:3, "God blessed the seventh day, and hallowed it" (the King James Version "sanctified"); but Exodus 20:11 (King James Version, the English Revised Version, the American Standard Revised Version), "hallowed." So of the temple (1 Kings 9:7); of the firstborn, spared in Egypt (Numbers 3:13). (3) To dedicate or consecrate by formal ceremonial, with the accompanying idea of cleansing from sin and uncleanness: Exodus 29:1, "This is the thing that thou shalt do unto them (Aaron and his sons) to hallow them, to minister unto me in the priest's office." The whole chapter is devoted to the elaborate ceremonial, consisting of ablutions, endowment in priestly robes and paraphernalia, anointing with oil, the offering of a bullock for a sin offering, and of a ram, the placing of the blood of another ram upon the right ear, right thumb, right great toe of each, the wave offering, the anointing of the holy garments, and the eating of the consecrated food, all this lasting seven days, and indicating the completeness with which they were set apart, the deep necessity of purification, and the solemnity and sacredness of the office. The tabernacle and its furniture were similarly "hallowed" by a simpler ceremony, using the anointing oil. (4) To render ritually fit for religious service, worship, or use: Leviticus 16:19, "Hallow it (the altar with the sprinkled blood) from the uncleannesses of the children of Israel"; Numbers 6:11, "The priest shall .... make atonement for him, for that he sinned by reason of the dead, and shall hallow his head that same day." (5) To hold sacred, reverence, keep holy: Jeremiah 17:22, "But hallow ye the Sabbath day," by keeping it distinct and separate, especially (Jeremiah 17:24,27) by refraining from unnecessary work, from burden-bearing, travel, or traffic (Nehemiah 13:16). See Exodus 20:8-11 (the Sabbath Commandment). (6) To revere, hold in awe, and reverence as holy and "separated from sinners" in majesty, power, sacredness: Leviticus 22:32, "And ye shall not profane my holy name; but I will be hallowed among the children of Israel." Qadhash is elsewhere translated "sanctify" in this connection, meaning "to be manifested in awe-producing majesty, power, or grace": Ezekiel 38:23, "And I will .... sanctify myself, and I will make myself known in the eyes of many nations; and they shall know that I am Yahweh"; compare Ezekiel 28:22,23, etc.

In the New Testament "hallow" occurs only in the "Lord's Prayer," there rendering hagiazo, the Septuagint word for qadhash:

Matthew 6:9; Luke 11:2, "Hallowed be thy name." Hagiazo is quite frequent in the New Testament, and is always (American Standard Revised Version) rendered "sanctify," except here, and in Revelation 22:11, "He that is holy, let him be made holy still." To "hallow the name" includes not only the inward attitude and outward action of profound reverence and active praise, but also that personal godliness, loving obedience and aggressive Christlikeness, which reveal the presence of God in the life, which is His true earthly glory.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think it's interesting to read what the people are saying about this. I wish we could figure it out before it happens.

I think something bad is going to happen. And when it happens, it's either going to be winter or summer, either on a Saturday or after sundown into Sunday depending on where one lives. Because this will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole Earth.

We might be having a heatwave right now, but other places are having record cold.

Record Cold in Australia.

Luke pulls the AofD out of chapter 21 and puts it into chapter 17 after the mention of the "days of Lot".

And then He brings up the day when Lot went out from Sodom, fire and sulfur rained from heaven and destroyed them all—so will it be on the day when the Son of Man is revealed.

And then He says the day, "ON THAT DAY".

"On that day, let the one who is on the housetop, with his goods in the house, not come down to take them away, and likewise let the one who is in the field not turn back.​

On what day? The day that fire rains from Heaven. Sudden destruction.

And then the same instructions to flee to the mountains as Matthew did after mentioning the Abomination.

Sorry for the unpopular view.
Read this paragraph carefully.

Luke 21:20-24
But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is near. Then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those who are in the midst of the city must leave, and those who are in the country must not enter the city; because these are days of vengeance, so that all things which are written will be fulfilled. Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days; for there will be great distress upon the land and wrath to this people; and they will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

The destruction of the temple and Jerusalem, merely introduces the age of the Gentiles. Matthew confuses the destruction of Jerusalem with the end of the world. Whereas Luke separates the destruction of Jerusalem from the last day event.

• Agree
Reactions: sdowney717
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The the great tribulation of Daniel 12 is different from the great tribulation of Matthew 24?
What about Luke 21:23?
He uses the same word for "distress" that Dan 12 uses........

6869 tsarah tsaw-raw' feminine of 6862; tightness (i.e. figuratively, trouble); transitively, a female rival:--adversary, adversity, affliction, anguish, distress, tribulation, trouble.

Daniel 12:
1“At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise.
There will be a time of distress<H6869> such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then.
But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the book—will be delivered.

318. anagke an-ang-kay' from 303 and the base of 43; constraint (literally or figuratively); by implication, distress:--distress, must needs, (of) necessity(-sary), needeth, needful.

Luke 21:23
“But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!
For there will be great distress<G318> in the land and wrath upon this people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It was kept from creation on. It was given to Adam and Eve--the Sabbath was made for man.
I'm remembering from Sunday school that the old testament law was given to Moses (that's why it's called the Mosaic law). :scratch: Exodus 20

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So you think God made the Sabbath for man, but then did not have them keep it until Exodus????!!!
Don't forget the rest of the law.

Abraham had the entire law before Exodus and Leviticus.

Genesis 26:5
Because Abraham obeyed Me and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes and My laws.

Nehemiah 9:13
Then You came down on Mount Sinai, And spoke with them from heaven; You gave them just ordinances and true laws, good statutes and commandments.

See Abraham had the whole law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Don't forget the rest of the law.

Abraham had the entire law before Exodus and Leviticus.

Genesis 26:5
Because Abraham obeyed Me and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes and My laws.

Nehemiah 9:13
Then You came down on Mount Sinai, And spoke with them from heaven; You gave them just ordinances and true laws, good statutes and commandments.

See Abraham had the whole law.
I'm remembering from Sunday school that the old testament law was given to Moses (that's why it's called the Mosaic law). :scratch: Exodus 20
You have remembered correctly......

Note Abraham, Moses and Lazarus are all mentioned in this covenantle parable in Luke 16...OC vs NC:

http://www.herealittletherealittle.net/index.cfm?page_name=Lazarus

Luke 16:
24 "Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame
And upon all of these between us[Abrahm/faith/spirit/life] and ye[Moses/Law/flesh/death] a great chasm[the Cross?] hath been established
so that those willing to cross-over/diabhnai <1224> (5629) hence toward ye no may be able,
neither thence toward us may be ferrying/diaperwsin <1276> (5725)

What is the "great gulf" which stands between the rich man and Lazarus? Paul aptly explains it to us in the 11th chapter of Romans. He tells us that God has blinded the Jews and "given them a spirit of stupor, eyes that they should not see and ears that they should not hear, to this very day" (Rom. 11:8). He goes on to say that "a partial hardening would happen to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles had come in" (Rom. 11:25). In II Corinthians 3:14-15, Paul says that the Jews' "minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ. But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart."

The "great gulf" mentioned by Abraham is nothing less than God's blinding in this age of the Jews as a whole to the truth about their Messiah! It's not that the Jewish nation won't acknowledge Yeshua as the prophesied Messiah; they cannot recognize his true identity because of God's actions! Yet because of the Eternal Father's great mercy, this state of affairs will not last forever (Rom. 11:26).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Again. The ceremonial laws--the Levitical laws, is what is called the laws of Moses. Those laws were not written by the hand of Jesus--but dictated by God to Moses. He wrote the 10 with His own finger. It was Jesus at creation week that set up the Sabbath, sanctified it, hallowed it, set it apart--ceased His work. It was set up as a testament that God is the Creator of all, and He did it in 6 days. Jesus is the Creator of all things. And it was He that created the Sabbath for man, Not for Himself, and created it at the end of creation week. The law of God are the 10 commandments. It is the Levitical laws, the laws of Moses the ceremonial laws, all those feasts and things that are no longer needed, no longer need to have a blood sacrifice for Jesus is the Sacrificial Lamb. Those ceremonies pointed to Him and on the cross they were fulfilled. The 10 commandments, the moral law, are the only ones written by Him who created all things and they were put in the Ark, not the law of Moses, those ceremonial laws were set outside the ark.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Let's not get into a sabbatical war here....If there is one word that will draw sabbatarians[7 day sabbath keepers] to a thread it is the word "sabbath".
I really do not wish to see this thread moved over to here:

https://www.christianforums.com/forums/sabbath-and-the-law.1131/
Sabbath and The Law

Sabbath day worship and keeping the law

This thread is primarily on why Jesus used the word "sabbath" in Matt 24 and I think we have pretty much established that the Olivet Discourse is about wrath and tribulation upon the Jews, whether in 1st century Judea, or modern day.

Matthew 24:

19 But woe unto them that are with child and to them that give suck in those days!
20 And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on a sabbath:

21 for then shall be great tribulation, such as hath not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, nor ever shall be.

Last edited:
Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The coming in Matthew 24:30, you do realize is after the trib of those days, right? What was that coming in regards to then? If the trib of those days are meaning the events of 70 AD to some of you, the coming in Matthew 24:30 would be meaning after, and not during the events of 70 AD instead. What was that coming in regards to then?
Yes...the "coming" mentioned in Matt 24:30 is immediately after the tribulation of those days. In my belief (and in my understanding)...the great tribulation began around the time of Jesus' crucifixion (when so many of the disciples and Jesus followers were being executed and tortured).

The "coming" wasn't a coming to earth. It was Jesus "coming into power" and His being seated "at the right-hand of the Father" after His wrath being fulfilled. I don't believe it was one specific event that was "His coming".....but a series of events (Him symbolically declaring the Temple His Father's house, His Ascension into Heaven, the Destruction of the Temple...etc). An interesting study is to look at the Levitical law about the priestly duties of observing the Temple for corruption (that's what Jesus was doing when He visited the Temple twice - the last time was shortly before His crucifixion and He'd declared it to be corrupt).

Language is important....and like I've said, I'm still quite wobbly in articulating all this as it's new to me....but here is something that explains my view (from an earlier thread. Also....take note of Claninja's post #8):

https://www.christianforums.com/thr...-a-d-the-second-coming.8056250/#post-72483704

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes...the "coming" mentioned in Matt 24:30 is immediately after the tribulation of those days. In my belief (and in my understanding)...the great tribulation began around the time of Jesus' crucifixion (when so many of the disciples and Jesus followers were being executed and tortured).

The "coming" wasn't a coming to earth. It was Jesus "coming into power" and His being seated "at the right-hand of the Father" after His wrath being fulfilled. I don't believe it was one specific event that was "His coming".....but a series of events (Him symbolically declaring the Temple His Father's house, His Ascension into Heaven, the Destruction of the Temple...etc). An interesting study is to look at the Levitical law about the priestly duties of observing the Temple for corruption (that's what Jesus was doing when He visited the Temple twice - the last time was shortly before His crucifixion and He'd declared it to be corrupt).

Language is important....and like I've said, I'm still quite wobbly in articulating all this as it's new to me....but here is something that explains my view (from an earlier thread. Also....take note of Claninja's post #8):

https://www.christianforums.com/thr...-a-d-the-second-coming.8056250/#post-72483704

Good exposition on the tribulation here.

• Informative
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Would that "great tribulation" be the same as the "great distress" in Luke 21:23".

Luke 21:23
“But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!
For there will be great distress<G318> in the land and wrath<3709> upon this people.

The exact form of the word for "wrath" #3709 used in Luke 21 is used 13 times, 1 each in Luke and John,

John 3:36
he who is believing in the Son, hath life age-during; and he who is not believing the Son, shall not see life, but the wrath <3709> of God doth remain upon him.'

the rest in the Epistles and 1 time in Revelation:

Revelation 11:18
and the nations were angry, and Thine wrath<3709> did come,
and the time of the dead, to be judged,
and to give the reward to Thy servants, to the prophets, and to the saints,
and to those fearing Thy name, to the small and to the great,
and to destroy those who are destroying the land.'

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
What you and I think means nothing.

What does the Bible say?

It says this:

Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

sanctified
SANC'TIFIED, pp.

1. Made holy; consecrated; set apart for sacred services.

2. Affectedly holy.

sanctifier
SANC'TIFIER, n. He that sanctifies or makes holy. In theology, the Holy Spirit is, by way of eminence, denominated the Sanctifier.

sanctify
SANC'TIFY, v.t. Low L. sanctifico; from sanctus, holy, and facio, to make.

1. In a general sense, to cleanse, purify or make holy.

2. To separate, set apart or appoint to a holy, sacred or religious use.

God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it. Gen. 2.

So under the Jewish dispensation, to sanctify the altar, the temple, the priests, &c.

3. To purify; to prepare for divine service, and for partaking of holy things. Ex. 19.

4. To separate, ordain and appoint to the work of redemption and the government of the church. John 10.

5. To cleanse from corruption; to purify from sin; to make holy be detaching the affections from the world and its defilements, and exalting them to a supreme love to God.

Sanctify them through thy truth; thy word is truth.

John 17. Eph. 5.

6. To make the means of holiness; to render productive of holiness or piety.

Those judgments of God are the more welcome, as a means which his mercy hath sanctified so to me, as to make me repent of that unjust act.

7. To make free from guilt.

That holy man amaz'd at what he saw, made haste to sanctify the bliss by law.

8. To secure from violation.

Truth guards the poet, sanctifies the line.

To sanctify God, to praise and celebrate him as a holy being; to acknowledge and honor his holy majesty, and to reverence his character and laws. Is. 8.

God sanctifies himself or his name, by vindicating his honor from the reproaches of the wicked, and manifesting his glory. Ezek. 36.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian