Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Don't diss but yesterday I just pulled a Bible off my Bible shelf and headed out to church. I grabbed my Ol' Scofield! :sorry: I haven't used it in years but I was surprised to find how many notes I had written in the margins then I realized I've stopped marking up my Bibles.

Do you highlight, make notes and underline in your Bibles?

Can you recommend some supplies?

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't diss but yesterday I just pulled a Bible off my Bible shelf and headed out to church. I grabbed my Ol' Scofield! :sorry: I haven't used it in years but I was surprised to find how many notes I had written in the margins then I realized I've stopped marking up my Bibles.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
I've ruined more bibles this way. A computer bible is more forgiving and you can delete marks or notes that in time need revision.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have a KJV that does not have a mark in it. This is the one I take to church. I have a NIV study Bible that I have copious notes and highlights in it since it is the one I use the most.
I've ruined more bibles this way. A computer bible is more forgiving and you can delete marks or notes that in time need revision.
I use E-Sword. Which one do you use?

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a KJV that does not have a mark in it. This is the one I take to church. I have a NIV study Bible that I have copious notes and highlights in it since it is the one I use the most.

I use E-Sword. Which one do you use?
Logos 8. But used Online Bible free download (for many years).

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't mark in some of my Bibles but those aren't the ones I use for reading either.

I'm really liking PaperMate ClearPoint mechanical pencils which have colored lead refills so a few different colors can be used, and they don't bleed through the page. (Of any I've used them on so far.)

I've also used mechanical crayons (wax colors) in the past to highlight for the same reason. (But they melt and warp at relatively low temperatures - can't leave them in the car on even a barely warm day.)

I really dislike writing in any books that will bleed through pages.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Yours in the Lord,

jm
These are my own thoughts.

I use to use highlighters in my Bible, but I found each time I was on a page that had a highlighted section, my mind went right to the highlighted section. After doing some vigourous highlighting over the years, I found highlighting to be a distraction. The same with using a black or blue pen and underlining verses.

Now I use pencils lightly that I can erase if I choose or not if I don't choose. And rabbit ear's on corners because i can easily unbend.

I will write notes in pencil, especially other corroberating verses to look at later. I like the ability to erase and that the pencil is light enough when I write for it not to be distracting.

What I also do and like is using Post It Notes and writing on those and inserting that into the page like a book mark. When I am done, I just remove the post it note and move on.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don’t highlight or make notes on my Bible.

Me neither, I don't like to write or make notes in any of my books, especially a Bible. Digital though is another story, I don't mind so much with digital, especially taking notes.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I personally don’t use a digital bible ( I am imagining a website or app) except for reference. Like say I’m here on CF and someone references a specific scripture I go look it up.

I like to have a Bible to read (other than reference) in my hands personally. I find I read slower and I like to see the reference verses. Plus my personal Bible has maps and other things in it to help me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Logos 8. But used Online Bible free download (for many years).

Love Logos Bible Software, over the span of about twenty years I've invested about three thousand into resources. I'm not in love with Logos as a company though or what they have become, not in love with their strategy or tactics as a company which have changed over the years. Anyway, at least they have "community pricing" and halfway reasonable prices on select public domain resources for poor folks like me.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave L and JM
Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I keep buying new bibles because I want one I’m happy to annotate but then I just can’t being myself to mark it! So then I buy another one. I use highlighter tabs and post it notes galore instead. I was given one for mother’s daythat has journaling and doodle space and colouring and I’m determined I will do it when I find good non bleeding pencils.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Thanks folks.

I'm at the computer all day at work so when I read or study it's with a book. A real book. There is some reasoning behind it as well.

Readers absorb less on Kindles than on paper, study finds

Books vs. e-books: The science behind the best way to read

7 Reasons Why Ebook Sales Are Falling--and Print Book Sales Are Rising Again

When I was able to buy better quality Bibles I stopped writing in them. I wanted to preserve them. Now I realize that was a mistake. I worked a lot more in the text and less with theological works when I was marking up my Bibles.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thanks folks.

I'm at the computer all day at work so when I read or study it's with a book. A real book. There is some reasoning behind it as well.

When I was able to buy better quality Bibles I stopped writing in them. I wanted to preserve them. Now I realize that was a mistake. I worked a lot more in the text and less with theological works when I was marking up my Bibles.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
I like your philosophy because it is about using our Bibles and growing in knowledge of God’s Word and faith.

Whatever someone does that allows them to best use and get the most out of it, is the best way to use it.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks folks.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
That makes sense.

Some things I could only afford on Kindle. But I have a growing bookshelf of paper books (and just recently bought a paper copy of my favorite Bible version printed on nice thick paper that is going to get all marked up ;) ) ... and they all have writing in them as I go through them. I'll read Kindle and make notes, etc. But I really feel that I absorb and retain it better in print.

I like to have different colors. One thing I do with books I re-read is to use a different color each time through, and make a note of the date I finished with that color in the back. It helps me see how deeper things emerge from the writings, and which are important every time I read them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yours in the Lord,

jm
Personally, I don't. I just find it kind of weird. It's the Bible, you know? But what I would be ok with, would be having a Scripture notebook / journal with Scripture references and notes.

Upvote 0