Not open for further replies.

Blake4000

Oct 14, 2006
✟7,894.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Depends who your fighting for. God? acceptable and promoted
Money, means you like violence and you have a love of money, therefore appeals to your selfish/greedy side. If you take pleasure in violence with another person. When Jesus says, "turn the other cheek" I think you get what Im saying here. Ask yourself, would Jesus like to do what your doing? honestly?....

Upvote 0

127Rockledge

What I meant by money is that there is currently a devout Christian who fights professionally in the UFC - Matt Hughes - the current welterweight world champion. I do not fight professionally.

Yes, I do in essence, like violence - this does not mean I want war. But that is not unGodly, as I believe God has gifted many men with this trait. It enables us to keep motivated and be ready when the fight needs us.

Also I and another have detailed "turn the other cheek" in other threads. It does not mean to endure abuse, it means to gain tactical advantage and make your enemy withdraw without use of force.

And if Jesus wants a sparring match, he's got one. I see nothing wrong with it, it's a sport, much like football, basketball, or any other.

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
But yet all things will "pollute" the body eventually. Death is certain.

Have you ever seen what Coke can do to wood if you let it sit?

All things are potentially dangerous for you body.
yeah, it is hard to find the right balance with all that

still smoking marijuana has been linked to emphesema (sp?) and breathing difficulties. I used to smoke a lot some years ago, and was always coughing and sick fairly often. For those who claim marijuana doesn't do anything bad to them, I see them coughing and with breathing problems more than they want to admit. that's my personal thinking anyway, and I've known enough marijuana and cigarette smokers (before I became christian)

it is hard, I think we all need to personally examine such things with our conscience and do what we can hoping to please God and get to know Him more

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
But yet all things will "pollute" the body eventually. Death is certain.

Have you ever seen what Coke can do to wood if you let it sit?

All things are potentially dangerous for you body.
and for the record, I have way cut down on caffeine and stuff, that kind of stuff gives me a headache, I have to mainly drink water nowadays, so maybe you got a point there too about drinking junk food drinks...

:) ;)

Upvote 0
it's illegal, so no one should do it, including christians.
it can really mess up ur life, i speak from semi experience, so anyone who is thinking about or does do it, think about it a little harder...
Semi experience? whats that? 2nd hand smoke? Being in the room with someone who smokes it.

Ive so far read on this thread that some of you actuallly thing it causes brain damage. Sure smoking anything is physically bad for your body (lungs mostly) but it does not cause brain damage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

romanov

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2006
Alaska
✟19,426.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ok, here's my take. There are a lot of things that are sins which are completely prohibitted. The Bible speaks of those things and it flat out tells you, "Don't do it!" But there are some things that are just sinful if they are done in excess.

For instance drinking wine. I can't find one instance in the Bible which out and out says that drinking is a sin. However, there are prohibitions against being drunk. I think marijuana falls into that category.

It's not a sin to smoke marijuana. The only sin which comes into play is gluttonous use of marijuana. I've actually read a website which someone directed me to and gave a pretty convincing argument that marijuana is a gift from God just like many other herbs and plants.

For instance, the marijuana plant can be used for medicine. It can be used for clothes, paper. The oils from the seed have many wide and varied uses. You can even make rope out of the stuff. I've also read recent publications which show that TCH may slow the progression of alzheimers.

So in my humble opinion if someone smokes a joint once every month or two, I don't see the big deal. Just like I have a beer once every month or two and I don't believe that's a sin because theres actually research which show that that is healthy for you. It just seems, again, that excess is where the problem comes in.

That's my humble opinion. Now you all get to tell me where I'm wrong.

Reactions: united4Peace
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All I can say is that in 1 Pet. 2:13-14 says:

"Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well."

And here in North Carolina, the ordinance of man says the poccession of marijunia is illegal, hence, I cannot do it.

Now if that ordinance changes......

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

romanov

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2006
Alaska
✟19,426.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
All I can say is that in 1 Pet. 2:13-14 says:

"Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well."

And here in North Carolina, the ordinance of man says the poccession of marijunia is illegal, hence, I cannot do it.

Now if that ordinance changes......

God Bless

Till all are one.

Render unto Ceaser that which is Ceaser's.
In the US we, each and everyone of us, are Ceaser of our own lives. How do you let men stand between you and G_D. The Lord G_D gave us many things to which we have dominion over. Animal, mineral, and plants.
Granted HE did not mean for us to abuse any of those things, that would be sinful, but HE did give them to us.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Render unto Ceaser that which is Ceaser's.
In the US we, each and everyone of us, are Ceaser of our own lives. How do you let men stand between you and G_D. The Lord G_D gave us many things to which we have dominion over. Animal, mineral, and plants.
Granted HE did not mean for us to abuse any of those things, that would be sinful, but HE did give them to us.

Friend, according to GS 90-90, NC state law anything that falls into these categories is illegal:

90‑90. Schedule II controlled substances.
This schedule includes the controlled substances listed or to be listed by whatever official name, common or usual name, chemical name, or trade name designated. In determining that a substance comes within this schedule, the Commission shall find: a high potential for abuse; currently accepted medical use in the United States, or currently accepted medical use with severe restrictions; and the abuse of the substance may lead to severe psychic or physical dependence. The following controlled substances are included in this schedule:
(1) Any of the following substances whether produced directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of vegetable origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis, unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule:
a. Opium and opiate, and any salt, compound, derivative, or preparation of opium and opiate, excluding apomorphine, nalbuphine, dextrorphan, naloxone, naltrexone and nalmefene, and their respective salts, but including the following:
1. Raw opium.
2. Opium extracts.
3. Opium fluid extracts.
4. Powdered opium.
5. Granulated opium.
6. Tincture of opium.
7. Codeine.
8. Ethylmorphine.
9. Etorphine hydrochloride.
10. Hydrocodone.
11. Hydromorphone.
12. Metopon.
13. Morphine.
14. Oxycodone.
15. Oxymorphone.
16. Thebaine.
17. Dihydroetorphine.
b. Any salt, compound, derivative, or preparation thereof which is chemically equivalent or identical with any of the substances referred to in paragraph 1 of this subdivision, except that these substances shall not include the isoquinoline alkaloids of opium.
c. Opium poppy and poppy straw.
d. Cocaine and any salt, isomer, salts of isomers, compound, derivative, or preparation thereof, or coca leaves and any salt, isomer, salts of isomers, compound, derivative, or preparation of coca leaves, or any salt, isomer, salts of isomers, compound, derivative, or preparation thereof which is chemically equivalent or identical with any of these substances, except that the substances shall not include decocanized coca leaves or extraction of coca leaves, which extractions do not contain cocaine or ecgonine.
e. Concentrate of poppy straw (the crude extract of poppy straw in either liquid, solid or powder form which contains the phenanthrine alkaloids of the opium poppy).
(2) Any of the following opiates, including their isomers, esters, ethers, salts, and salts of isomers, whenever the existence of such isomers, esters, ethers, and salts is possible within the specific chemical designation unless specifically exempted or listed in other schedules:
a. Alfentanil.
b. Alphaprodine.
c. Anileridine.
d. Bezitramide.
e. Carfentanil.
f. Dihydrocodeine.
g. Diphenoxylate.
h. Fentanyl.
i. Isomethadone.
j. Levo‑alphacetylmethadol. Some trade or other names: levo‑alpha‑acetylmethadol, levomethadyl acetate, or LAAM.
k. Levomethorphan.
l. Levorphanol.
m. Metazocine.
n. Methadone.
o. Methadone – Intermediate, 4‑cyano‑2‑dimethylamino‑4, 4‑ diphenyl butane.
p. Moramide – Intermediate, 2‑methyl‑3‑morpholino‑1, 1‑diphenyl‑propane‑carboxylic acid.
q. Pethidine.
r. Pethidine – Intermediate – A, 4‑cyano‑1‑methyl‑4‑phenylpiperidine.
s. Pethidine – Intermediate – B, ethyl‑4‑phenylpiperidine‑4‑carboxylate.
t. Pethidine – Intermediate – C, 1‑methyl‑4‑phenylpiperidine‑4‑carboxylic acid.
u. Phenazocine.
v. Piminodine.
w. Racemethorphan.
x. Racemorphan.
y. Remifentanil.
z. Sufentanil.
(3) Any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances having a potential for abuse associated with a stimulant effect on the central nervous system unless specifically exempted or listed in another schedule:
a. Amphetamine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of its optical isomers.
b. Phenmetrazine and its salts.
c. Methamphetamine, including its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers.
d. Methylphenidate.
e. Phenylacetone. Some trade or other names: Phenyl‑2‑propanone; P2P; benzyl methyl ketone; methyl benzyl ketone.
(4) Any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances having a depressant effect on the central nervous system, including its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation, unless specifically exempted by the Commission or listed in another schedule:
a. Amobarbital
b. Glutethimide
c. Repealed by Session Laws 1983, c. 695, s. 2.
d. Pentobarbital
e. Phencyclidine
f. Phencyclidine immediate precursors:
1. 1‑Phenylcyclohexylamine
2. 1‑Piperidinocyclohexanecarbonitrile (PCC)
g. Secobarbital.
(5) Any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following hallucinogenic substances, including their salts, isomers, and salts of isomers, unless specifically excepted, or listed in another schedule, whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation:
a. Repealed by Session Laws 2001‑233, s. 2(a).
b. Nabilone [Another name for nabilone: (+/‑)‑trans‑3‑(1,1‑dimethylheptyl)‑6,6a,7,8,10,10a‑hexahyd ro‑1‑hydroxy‑6,6‑dimethyl‑9H‑dibenzo[b,d]pyran‑9‑one]. (1971, c. 919, s. 1; 1973, c. 476, s. 128; c. 540, s. 6; c. 1358, ss. 6, 15; 1975, c. 443, s. 2; 1977, c. 667, s. 3; c. 891, s. 2; 1979, c. 434, s. 2; 1981, c. 51, s. 9; 1983, c. 695, s. 2; 1985, c. 172, ss. 4, 5; 1987, c. 105, s. 3; c. 412, ss. 5A‑7; 1989 (Reg. Sess., 1990), c. 1040, s. 2; 1993, c. 319, ss. 3, 4; 1995, c. 186, s. 4; 1997‑385, s. 1; 1997‑456, s. 27; 1999‑165, s. 2; 2001‑233, ss. 1, 2(a).)

So from what Peter taught, I cannot smoke marijunia.

It may be different where you are, but here in North Carolina, it is illegal.

That is just the way I see it. But hey, if you feel different, so be it. Who am I to tell one how to live. And since I'm in the wrong here, I'll bow out and say God Bless you friend.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
Ok, here's my take. There are a lot of things that are sins which are completely prohibitted. The Bible speaks of those things and it flat out tells you, "Don't do it!" But there are some things that are just sinful if they are done in excess.

For instance drinking wine. I can't find one instance in the Bible which out and out says that drinking is a sin. However, there are prohibitions against being drunk. I think marijuana falls into that category.

It's not a sin to smoke marijuana. The only sin which comes into play is gluttonous use of marijuana. I've actually read a website which someone directed me to and gave a pretty convincing argument that marijuana is a gift from God just like many other herbs and plants.

For instance, the marijuana plant can be used for medicine. It can be used for clothes, paper. The oils from the seed have many wide and varied uses. You can even make rope out of the stuff. I've also read recent publications which show that TCH may slow the progression of alzheimers.

So in my humble opinion if someone smokes a joint once every month or two, I don't see the big deal. Just like I have a beer once every month or two and I don't believe that's a sin because theres actually research which show that that is healthy for you. It just seems, again, that excess is where the problem comes in.

That's my humble opinion. Now you all get to tell me where I'm wrong.
I agree with you 100%

Upvote 0

Harlan Norris

Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, I don't smoke weed. I just thought I'd ask other Christians about it.
Well, speaking as a person with experience, I can honestly say,that pot starts a lot of people down a dark road, with a trap door at the end. I've known 4 people that have committed suicide as a direct result of their drug use.The most recent only a few months back.Of course it wasn't just pot they were useing,but they all smoked pot.Most likely they started with pot.I myself struggled with drug addiction for over 30 years. My first high was pot.I frankly knew right from the start that I was doing something wrong. That was part of the fun. I'm clean and sober now.If I had it to do over I'd pass on it.I'd advise anyone to do the same.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.