phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think the emphasis of the passage is to highlight that God is never good enough for the Pharisees and they were constantly missing the people that God was sending to them.

John (greatest born among women in the verses preceding) came neither eating nor drinking and they said he had a demon...

Jesus came eating and drinking and hanging out with tax collectors and sinners.. and they called him a drunkard.

Pretty much you have two men of God (well, one man of God and one who is God) that were on both extremes and neither of them were 'good' enough for the Pharisees.

But the point I was making was that they would not have called him a drunkard if in fact the wine he was drinking was non-alcoholic as some have tried to argue.

Confucius say, don't take for gospel anything that the enemies of God have to say.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't have to justify use of cannabis for anyone... it's between them and God to decide. I merely question the biblical application of verses for others to claim that cannabis is ungodly when it has only been illegal for less than 100 years, and prior to that it was culturally acceptable for thousands of years.

THC being stored in fat doesn't mean a lick to me... unless you can show me in the bible where THAT is wrong as well.

I'd also like to point out that I don't even necessarily advocate SMOKING marijuana... joints... etc... I can see where smoking it to get high could be completely outside of God's purpose for the herb, similar to how sex outside of marriage is against God's intention for sex.
Isn't it against the law in your country to smoke or bong marijuana? If so, then you are breaking God's law by using marijuana (see Romans 13).

As for something being legal for hundreds of years and only being illegal for 100 years, that is a red herring logical fallacy. Are you going to defend slavery that has only become illegal in recent years?

It is ungodly to use cannabis when it is against the law of the land.

Oz

Upvote 0
May 31, 2012
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't use cannabis so the point is moot.

Bringing up slavery is the red herring logical fallacy as it is completely unrelated to cannabis. Slavery is its own issue.

History is important, is it not? If I'm talking about cannabis being culturally acceptable, then that would stand to reason that during Jesus' time and prior that it was also acceptable. The only thing that changed was the law of man, and you can do your own research to find out that the 'devilization' of cannabis was more due to money and racism than it was for any ill effects on the body.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't use cannabis so the point is moot.

Bringing up slavery is the red herring logical fallacy as it is completely unrelated to cannabis. Slavery is its own issue.

History is important, is it not? If I'm talking about cannabis being culturally acceptable, then that would stand to reason that during Jesus' time and prior that it was also acceptable. The only thing that changed was the law of man, and you can do your own research to find out that the 'devilization' of cannabis was more due to money and racism than it was for any ill effects on the body.
It is NOT a red herring. You were the one who stated this about marijuana:
I merely question the biblical application of verses for others to claim that cannabis is ungodly when it has only been illegal for less than 100 years, and prior to that it was culturally acceptable for thousands of years.
I was simply giving another example of something that was legal for hundreds of years and has been made illegal in recent centuries. The point is that because something has been "legal" for centuries does not make it right.

Bye, Oz

Upvote 0
May 31, 2012
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bringing up slavery is a red herring.

Me bringing up historical context of cannabis is relevant to the conversation because we are talking about cannabis. The point of bringing up the historical context of the legality of cannabis is that nobody 100 years ago and prior would have even viewed the use of cannabis as a sin. Did God's mind change? Or did people change? If people changed, why? In my research, I've come to the conclusion that it was because of an agenda born out of racism and greed. New studies are coming out all of the time praising the HELPFUL benefits of the cannabis plant and dispelling all of the previously held beliefs of its dangers.

Anyway, at this point I'm ready to bow out of the topic.

Blessings to all. I don't believe anyone will be won over to one side or the other on this issue but let all of us remember that the only thing that matters is being won over by Jesus.

Until next time. =)

Upvote 0