Dec 30, 2006
Texas
Visit site
✟8,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Today there is a large number of Christians that feel it is acceptable to drink alcohol for recreational purposes or perhaps a night cap as long as they do not get drunk and of course they have their own personal definition of what being drunk is. There is also a number of Christians who believe smoking pot for recreational purposes or again a night cap is alright as long as they do not get high who also have their definition of what getting high is. Since alcohol is legal should marijuana be legal and if it is alright to drink is it alright to smoke dope? Why? Remember alcohol is a drug also.
http://www.narconon.org/drug-educati...ol-a-drug.html

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Today there is a large number of Christians that feel it is acceptable to drink alcohol for recreational purposes or perhaps a night cap as long as they do not get drunk and of course they have their own personal definition of what being drunk is. There is also a number of Christians who believe smoking pot for recreational purposes or again a night cap is alright as long as they do not get high who also have their definition of what getting high is. Since alcohol is legal should marijuana be legal and if it is alright to drink is it alright to smoke dope? Why? Remember alcohol is a drug also.
What research have you done into the effects of using marijuana?

Sincerely, Oz

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
MOD HAT ON

Okay. This is being reopened. It was closed due to the potential of promotion of illegal activity. If y'all can keep it from going there, it can stay open and we won't have to issue warnings.

Good luck. ^_^

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Is marijuana growing and the use of marijuana illegal in Texas as it is here in Queensland, Australia?

Oz

Upvote 0

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is marijuana growing and the use of marijuana illegal in Texas as it is here in Queensland, Australia?

Oz

I don't know about Texas, but it's illegal (outside of any 'medical' use) here in Florida. I'd assume the same for all of the States, but some might be more 'liberal' in their accepted drug set.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't know about Texas, but it's illegal (outside of any 'medical' use) here in Florida. I'd assume the same for all of the States, but some might be more 'liberal' in their accepted drug set.
Therefore, to disobey the government in its laws about marijuana use, would be to go against the Scriptures, wouldn't it? Isn't it biblical to follow this?
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those what exist have been instituted by God (Rom. 13:1 ESV).
There are times when it is correct to disobey government and that is when a government legislates contrary to the Scriptures. The biblical mandate is that
We must obey God rather than men (Acts 5:29 ESV).
Therefore I would not have obeyed the Nazis under Hitler. I will oppose euthanasia until my dying day. God is the one who takes life and not human beings or governments.

However, there are many good health reasons for not using marijuana. See my 'summary of the effects of marijuana'.

Sincerely, Oz

Upvote 0

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
OzSpen said:
Therefore, to disobey the government in its laws about marijuana use, would be to go against the Scriptures, wouldn't it? Isn't it biblical to follow this?

There are times when it is correct to disobey government and that is when a government legislates contrary to the Scriptures. The biblical mandate is that

Therefore I would not have obeyed the Nazis under Hitler. I will oppose euthanasia until my dying day. God is the one who takes life and not human beings or governments.

However, there are many good health reasons for not using marijuana.

Sincerely, Oz

:amen: we researched the effects of marijuana in school one day, and the harmful effects far outweighed any potential good effects, which is one reason why I don't even want to try it.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
:amen: we researched the effects of marijuana in school one day, and the harmful effects far outweighed any potential good effects, which is one reason why I don't even want to try it.
Excellent! I praise the Lord for your taking this stand.

I have just retired after 17 years of counselling teens, their parents and other adults. I can tell you from counselling experience what marijuana use does to the mind and to family relationships. And this is confirmed by the research evidence of the effects of marijuana on the person.

In Christ, Oz

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As an addictions counselor, I can't endorse use of either drug, but given the studies have been done, there is far less reason to fear alcohol than there is marijuana. For one thing, study after study has proven that alcohol has genuine medical benefits.

Alcohol And Health

On the other hand, medical marijuana advocates claim their favorite drug also has medical benefits, but these are at best questionable claims, and more likely outright fraudulent. There is also the recent ADCAPS study by Washington State University that compiles info from nearly all the major studies done in the last 20 years, and marijuana definitely comes out as a villain rather than a hero.

WSU ADCAPS - Alcohol & Drug Counseling, Assessment, & Prevention Services - Drugs 101: Marijuana

Therefore I say, don't engage in either, but if you have to do one or the other, at least alcohol is heart healthy in moderation.

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is it against the law?

Enough said the Bible is clear that we should follow the laws that are placed over us unless they go against God. And last time I checked not being able to smoke pot didn't go against God so the law wins on this one follow it.

Upvote 0

ALoveDivine

Saved By Grace
Jun 25, 2010
Detroit, MI
✟11,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would reiterate what everyone else has said, its illegal, so don't do it. We break the law only if the law violates God's law, and last time I checked marijuana prohibition (though stupid for many reasons) does not contradict God's law.

Now some people do benefit from medical marijuana and, where it is legal, I think its perfectly acceptable for those people to use it. Other than that though, stay away.

I smoked pot for years before I was saved. Even after I was saved I struggled with it for a while. I can say from experience that smoking weed definitely hurt my Christian walk and caused me to stagnate, and I always felt conviction when I did it. Now that I have left it behind (though I STILL slip up every once in a great while) I've grown considerably in my Christian walk. So yeah, we ought to stay away from it.

Plus, I can drink a beer or two and not be intoxicated at all. If I smoke one joint, I'm gonna be high. Let us be sober and vigilant, as the Apostle Paul would say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Based on the posts ive read I'm curious, if it ceased to be illegal, would there then cease to be any biblical argument against it?
Since being drunk goes against biblical Christianity, would getting high on marijuana be what God would approve if the State made it legal?

Oz

Upvote 0

Mock

May 25, 2012
✟7,670.00
Faith
Non-Denom
My Story:Ill give you my honest answer on this. I smoked "Pot" for 1 year straight. Pretty regularly around the age of 16 I am now 21 and have changed my life completely about when I was 17 and I no longer smoke or drink.

Facts:Marijuana alters your mindset whether I wanted to admit it or not. Their is no way of getting a "Buzz" on marijuana I have taken one hit and it got me dozed off into trance. Marijuana is not like it's portrayed on movies. It's really not close to being as crazy or dangerous as alchoul if anything alchoul is 10x worse. Now at some points marijuana was awesome high that I liked and it wore off fast and had no bad after effects and it really did not effect my memory or functioning skills. It just feels good/makes you laugh and slows down your awareness just a tad, Which is not to noticeable. Not all the time but I felt effects of depression and insecurity while I was on it. One time I was with some acquiescence I did not know them well and smoked with them and for some reason I felt very insecure, nervous and uncomfortable to the point where I just wanted to sprint out the house and just go home. By way I am prolly the most social-able guy you'll meet. I have never felt that in my life which is why Mary is bad. It alters your mind and can make you depressed for no reason. It also can make you do some pretty stupid stuff and allow people to take advantage of you. It is not addictive but on that note it can be addictive in your mind just like anything can. I said I was not addicted but sometimes I could not go a day without it. I do not feel myself after a while on marijuana and for kid's it is a gateway drug I am witness and victim of this truth.

RISKS: Weed does have it's risk it can collapse your lungs. Any type of smoke entering your body is harmful. It has some other harmful effects just google "Harmful effects of Marijuana"

End note Marijuana is a sin and drunkness state and I believe a way the devil can keep you deceived.

Also note about laws, we are living in bad times. If the law said you cannot be a christian or you must wear the mark of the beast does not make it right.

Also *Obviously I do not want people doing either* but I would rather have people doing marijuana then Alchoul. It's way safer and has a less high/drunkness. Alchoul is a killer and will make people do some pretty outraged things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mock

May 25, 2012
✟7,670.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Excellent! I praise the Lord for your taking this stand.

I have just retired after 17 years of counselling teens, their parents and other adults. I can tell you from counselling experience what marijuana use does to the mind and to family relationships. And this is confirmed by the research evidence of the effects of marijuana on the person.

In Christ, Oz

You kidding? I am defiantly trying not to promote marijuana use but marijuana for me did not strain my family relationship in my past. What strains relationships is the sinful lifestyles kid's these days think they have to praticpate in. Also Marijuana does nothing to the mind once your off of it, I do not know about very very long term effects but their was a quote by someone that went like this. "Lady: Well my brother does Marijuana and hes an idiot and has no job and is lazy and in jail now because of marijuana. Comedian: Maybe it's not that marijuana maybe your brother is just an idiot. It's god missing from the picture not the marijuana doing the harm. Obviously doing marijuana shows your distance from God.

Upvote 0