Marijuana - a gift from God or a gateway to sin?

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
My name is Sam, and for the past 5 years of my life I’ve used marijuana regularly almost on a daily basis. I am also a Christian. My walk with God began a long time ago, however during my college years I fell somewhat away from the faith and was not living the life I knew I needed to.
One question that I do want more answers to is the question “is using marijuana a sin”. I myself do not believe it is. However, I do not buy some of the conceptions that it can help you grow spiritually. God does that, not a plant.
I used marijuana to help my aches and pains after a long day of physical labor and also to help me wind down before bed and help me sleep. I reguard it as something similar to alcohol-although chemically very different. The Bible says have a sober mind, yet men of God in the Bible consumed alcohol and the wisest man who ever lived (King Solomon) himself stated he used wine to cheer himself. Genesis 1.29 says “
God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed: to you it shall be for food.”
Marijuana also helps cure the sick and is an antidote for some diseases. Recently a man was telling me about how his grandmother had Glaucoma and tried every prescription available through doctors but nothing worked. One day he got her to try cannabis. When he returned an hour later he found her crying, and reading the Bible, something she had not been able to do for years. Why does God allow these things to happen if marijuana is bad?
I believe, like alcohol, marijuana is not the “sin” or the problem. The people who abuse it and make those things “a god” in their life are the problem. People “worship” substances! When you can’t live without something to the point that you place it first in your life, you are sinning.
Like I said in the first paragraph, I am still a user although in very careful moderation. Also I am continuing to grow in the Lord- not because of the plant but because of the Holy Spirit.
What are your opinions on this matter? Is it the actual object or the people who make the decisions, that are the problem?
I think marijuana is a gateway to sin.

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2018
Ohio
✟8,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You could have a bottle of hydrocodone or colanapins or oxycodone just sitting on your counter one day but you know you are not in any pain but you feel tempted to take some. What is your justification for it? Who or what justifies you doing it objectively and or morally?
If it is concluded that marijuana is morally neutral, is it comparable to other aspects of daily life?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used marijuana to help my aches and pains after a long day of physical labor and also to help me wind down before bed and help me sleep.

I do the same with aspirin.

Maybe you can try to get it in oral form, so as to not be setting an example of smoking.

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do we have to have justification for everything we do in life? I think that is another question I was unintentionally trying to uncover. Does the scripture talk about this? Is God pleased or displeased at every single action human, or is he impartial to some things? If a person spends hours sitting around after smoking a joint without justification, can that person go watch a live baseball game for 3 hours without justification? Not everything humans do is pleasing to God, but why do we do them? If it is concluded that marijuana is morally neutral, is it comparable to other aspects of daily life?

Why would you smoke marijuana? Why would you go to a baseball game?

We can't conclude marijuana is morally neutral in itself. When I said justification I meant that you use it medinically for anxiety or seizures or use it to get stoned. Going to a baseball game isn't a sin unless there is something going on in your walk with God causing you to stumble by going. Such as idolizing it or putting it before God.

Justifying it is the same as saying this is the reason you do it while having legal evidence of why it is ok, whether it is smoking pot or going to a game. If you try to justify it in any way other way than that, you are lying to yourself to make yourself feel better about doing it or giving yourself an excuse so you can get away with it by quenching your moral conscience or convictions.

God is pleased with more godly things like when we acknowledge him in all our ways or give him the glory for anything he is deserving of glory for. God loves the sinner but hates the sin.

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2018
Ohio
✟8,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Romans 14: 19-23

Happened to be reading through the word and I believe I found an answer as to why not to do those things. Just because something does not cause you to stumble it can cause someone else to and in turn we should not do it.

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Romans 14: 19-23

Happened to be reading through the word and I believe I found an answer as to why not to do those things. Just because something does not cause you to stumble it can cause someone else to and in turn we should not do it.

Praise the Lord!

1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My name is Sam, and for the past 5 years of my life I’ve used marijuana regularly almost on a daily basis. I am also a Christian. My walk with God began a long time ago, however during my college years I fell somewhat away from the faith and was not living the life I knew I needed to.
One question that I do want more answers to is the question “is using marijuana a sin”. I myself do not believe it is. However, I do not buy some of the conceptions that it can help you grow spiritually. God does that, not a plant.
I used marijuana to help my aches and pains after a long day of physical labor and also to help me wind down before bed and help me sleep. I reguard it as something similar to alcohol-although chemically very different. The Bible says have a sober mind, yet men of God in the Bible consumed alcohol and the wisest man who ever lived (King Solomon) himself stated he used wine to cheer himself. Genesis 1.29 says “
God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed: to you it shall be for food.”
Marijuana also helps cure the sick and is an antidote for some diseases. Recently a man was telling me about how his grandmother had Glaucoma and tried every prescription available through doctors but nothing worked. One day he got her to try cannabis. When he returned an hour later he found her crying, and reading the Bible, something she had not been able to do for years. Why does God allow these things to happen if marijuana is bad?
I believe, like alcohol, marijuana is not the “sin” or the problem. The people who abuse it and make those things “a god” in their life are the problem. People “worship” substances! When you can’t live without something to the point that you place it first in your life, you are sinning.
Like I said in the first paragraph, I am still a user although in very careful moderation. Also I am continuing to grow in the Lord- not because of the plant but because of the Holy Spirit.
What are your opinions on this matter? Is it the actual object or the people who make the decisions, that are the problem?

You sound like you know a lot about cannabis. I don't think it's a sin unless illegal possession and some places, law enforcement actively is against it. Alcohol isn't a sin either unless under age, but like alcohol, it could be.

Medical marijuana for pain relief is okay because it doesn't get you high. I wouldn't recommend it for high schoolers and earlier because of developing brains. For a young adult, recreational marijuana is like alcohol even though the effects are different. Both are drugs. It may be legal in your state, but it could affect your school work and grades, sports, work and relationships. You said you smoke it daily sometime, so it is mildly addictive like coffee. It isn't addictive like smoking tobacco or harder drugs, but it's easy to do it daily and suddenly it becomes a focus in your life. You end up using it more and more and are walking around stoned much of the time including school and/or work. Then, I believe it is a sin. Marijuana affects your short term memory and the way you interact with people; It also affects the way others interact with you. They know you're stoned from smelling it, seeing your eyes bloodshot and acting under the influence. It does affect your driving, so you may end up getting pulled over for driving erratically. It may not be as potent as alcohol, but don't kid yourself. You are driving impaired even though you think you will drive more carefully. You could be not doing the best job you could at work, at school or keeping up with your relationships. It could cause accidents because you're not paying attention to what you are doing dependent on the potency and amount of use.

Upvote 0

Llleopard

Jun 5, 2018
Hawkes Bay New Zealand
✟135,729.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Sam. I asked my husband - before he became a Christian he grew, sold and used rather a large amount of marijuana. He says (respectfully :) ) either you've already smoked way too much or don't know what you're talking about. He says he has seen people totally fry their brains in the space of months or years simply with marijuana - no other drugs needed. Has seen many people doing life threatening things under the influence, and knows one person who killed himself - was riding a motorbike, stopped outside his house... fell off the bike into a drain and was too stoned to get up, so drowned. Recommends stopping before you do yourself a permanent mischief, whether it's legal or not, and whether you only use a little or not. None is better. Put something more healthy into your body.

Upvote 0

Trinny

Jul 26, 2018
Adelaide
✟8,021.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Tough question with no right answer. Like anything if you make it a God then its wrong. Your putting another God before him. If your a leader. Do not become intoxicated. Makes perfect scense. You need to be alert. Dont do any activity that will make your brother stumble. Show love and empathy. All that said, the benefits of the drug have been recently researched. A new demension has been added. It still is a drug that alters responses and reaction and needs cautions. Ive worked as a nurological nurse for many years. Watching end stage Parkinsons patients thrash themselves to exhaustion. Then take a few drops of CBD oil to have tremors cease. How can you deny the sick of such a benifit? I assume all things are legal for us to do but is it benifitical? That answer can only be sought between you and God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Herbs themselves are not the embodiment of sin - our actions and convictions from God tell us if we are in sin or not. We do the sin, not things of the earth. God did curse the ground so we would have to toil more, but He did not curse us. (Genesis)

You might need to ask yourself and God if you are indeed being convicted by Him to stop using this kind of herb. I don't know anything about you, so i will not make any assumptions about your life. I do know that these herbs are indeed medicinal (Luke was a physician) and we do struggle with bodily sickness. However, we are capable of abusing such medications as well, or even become dependent on them when we don't have to be.
But again, I don't know anything about you or your life. Please ask God and yourself regarding this question.

• Friendly
Reactions: Toro
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Rather it is the opinion of doctors and phscologists that you should be listening to.
Their opinion is that regular use greatly increases the rick of mental illness.

• Agree
Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I do know that these herbs are indeed medicinal

They make Parkinson symptoms disappear. There was a little girl one time was having bad siezures. They gave her some and the seizures stopped. It treats a variety of things but like any drug or pharmaceutical and even alcohol, it is biblically illegal to abuse them.

When Paul was writing to Timothy, Paul told Timothy to drink some wine because of his intestinal issues. Scholars believe the water they had at that time wasn't always the cleanest. So for Timothy to keep drinking it his problems might have become worse. So he had a little wine instead.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They make Parkinson symptoms disappear. There was a little girl one time was having bad siezures. They gave her some and the seizures stopped. It treats a variety of things but like any drug or pharmaceutical and even alcohol, it is biblically illegal to abuse them.

When Paul was writing to Timothy, Paul told Timothy to drink some wine because of his intestinal issues. Scholars believe the water they had at that time wasn't always the cleanest. So for Timothy to keep drinking it his problems might have become worse. So he had a little wine instead.

This is exactly what I had addressed. :oldthumbsup:

I'm not going to go too far off the thread, so I will not comment on the second paragraph out of respect.

• Friendly
Reactions: Toro
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JojoM

Jun 7, 2018
Madrid
✟3,559.00
Country
Saint Pierre And Miquelon
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Cannabis is a hallucinogenic neurotoxin. It is carcinogenic. It was seen to stunt mental development and lower the IQ of teens who used it. It has been associated with increased traffic fatalities in Colorado where it is legal. Anything that causes a person to stumble is not of God (Mark 9).
In some areas the weed is illegal and the potential prison sentences alone should make a prudent person cease to use it. Besides all these things some studies linked marijuana to mental illness and psychosis. What bizarre thoughts have wasted the time of addicts smoking dope?

Many people who wanted to follow Jesus stopped using this drug.

I’m not a cannabis fan or anything. But when I had a terrible toothache a few weeks ago, it made me literally cry in pain. Half of my head was throbbing and no pain killer could calm it down. Took four different kinds of nsaids at the same time at high doses which are normally very effective for me even at a low dose. But that time, nothing would just work. It wasn’t infected either so antibiotics are of no help. Just a cavity (caused by a wonky wisdom tooth next to it)at the base of the tooth that is very near the nerve. When it gets moved a little bit, half my head would start throbbing and it will go on for hours and none of the pain killers can do anything about it. Husband gave me cannabis that is said to be very high in CBD, and it went away like magic. I stopped taking the nsaids and the cannabis kept it at bay. When it starts throbbing, i’d smoke it and the throbbing stops! Got my tooth root canalled now finally after days of waiting for my appointment. Would’ve been days of torture if it wasn’t for the plant. Haven’t smoked the cannabis since then. I’m still not a fan like the others who use it daily but oh dear, there’s something in it, whatever it is, that should not be ignored in the world of medicine.

Upvote 0

JakeyB123

Jul 10, 2018
bakersfield
✟12,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is a blessing from God. If you make it an idol its a curse. Many here(from what I have briefly seen) have the mind set that it is a recreational drug used only for getting high and anyone who claims to use it medicinally is using that as an excuse to get high. They dismiss the proven fact that it shrinks cancer cells, it stops epileptic seizures, it helps people overcome opiate addictions, it helps people with chronic pain.

Pray about it. Don't worry about what people think of you, worry about what God thinks of you. He made it after all.
He also made shrooms, right? It's "natural" if you use marijuana to connect with God on a higher level it is witchcraft.
1Pe 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
We are to be sober-minded, you say it heals the sick. Sounds like idolatry to me, who heals the sick, Jesus or some plant that gets you in a non-sober mindset?
Jesus does not want us to spend our money on a substance that changes our normal mindset into a "elevated" mindset.
I can't tell you how many stories I've heard of people using Marijuana then having some demonic experience. My one friend left his own body and he heard a voice telling him to kill himself. (guess who that is)
Marijuana is not a good thing to use especially when all it is used for is something Jesus can do WAY better.

Upvote 0

JakeyB123

Jul 10, 2018
bakersfield
✟12,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He also made shrooms, right? It's "natural" if you use marijuana to connect with God on a higher level it is witchcraft.
1Pe 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
We are to be sober-minded, you say it heals the sick. Sounds like idolatry to me, who heals the sick, Jesus or some plant that gets you in a non-sober mindset?
Jesus does not want us to spend our money on a substance that changes our normal mindset into a "elevated" mindset.
I can't tell you how many stories I've heard of people using Marijuana then having some demonic experience. My one friend left his own body and he heard a voice telling him to kill himself. (guess who that is)
Marijuana is not a good thing to use especially when all it is used for is something Jesus can do WAY better.
Also, I smoked Marijuana on a daily bases for around 5 years, when I was in the flesh it was amazing, then when I was born-again, I tried it one last time and that was the last. I had a super paranoid experience in which I was begging Jesus for forgiveness.

Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,669.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
the demotivating and killing brain cells side of it would stop me! plus not wanting to be an example of taking it to someone else who it might be a gateway drug for something worse for them, kids etc.
anyone around you ends up with some of it too like smokers even when theyre not smoking if youre near them you smell in the chemicals its not fair to others imho.

Upvote 0