Marijuana - a gift from God or a gateway to sin?

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My name is Sam, and for the past 5 years of my life I’ve used marijuana regularly almost on a daily basis. I am also a Christian. My walk with God began a long time ago, however during my college years I fell somewhat away from the faith and was not living the life I knew I needed to.
One question that I do want more answers to is the question “is using marijuana a sin”. I myself do not believe it is. However, I do not buy some of the conceptions that it can help you grow spiritually. God does that, not a plant.
I used marijuana to help my aches and pains after a long day of physical labor and also to help me wind down before bed and help me sleep. I reguard it as something similar to alcohol-although chemically very different. The Bible says have a sober mind, yet men of God in the Bible consumed alcohol and the wisest man who ever lived (King Solomon) himself stated he used wine to cheer himself. Genesis 1.29 says “
God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed: to you it shall be for food.”
Marijuana also helps cure the sick and is an antidote for some diseases. Recently a man was telling me about how his grandmother had Glaucoma and tried every prescription available through doctors but nothing worked. One day he got her to try cannabis. When he returned an hour later he found her crying, and reading the Bible, something she had not been able to do for years. Why does God allow these things to happen if marijuana is bad?
I believe, like alcohol, marijuana is not the “sin” or the problem. The people who abuse it and make those things “a god” in their life are the problem. People “worship” substances! When you can’t live without something to the point that you place it first in your life, you are sinning.
Like I said in the first paragraph, I am still a user although in very careful moderation. Also I am continuing to grow in the Lord- not because of the plant but because of the Holy Spirit.
What are your opinions on this matter? Is it the actual object or the people who make the decisions, that are the problem?
Cannabis is a hallucinogenic neurotoxin. It is carcinogenic. It was seen to stunt mental development and lower the IQ of teens who used it. It has been associated with increased traffic fatalities in Colorado where it is legal. Anything that causes a person to stumble is not of God (Mark 9).
In some areas the weed is illegal and the potential prison sentences alone should make a prudent person cease to use it. Besides all these things some studies linked marijuana to mental illness and psychosis. What bizarre thoughts have wasted the time of addicts smoking dope?

Many people who wanted to follow Jesus stopped using this drug.

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
One question that I do want more answers to is the question “is using marijuana a sin”. I myself do not believe it is.

I will start here. I used to smoke weed everyday and do several hallucinogenic drugs. It wasn't until I was delivered that I quit those things. First of all, it is against the law in America to abuse marijuana recreationally in most states.

Romans 13

1Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.2Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Ever heard of obey the law of the land?

Ephesians 5:18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit

I know here it doesn't say don't get high or don't smoke weed but I feel the same principles apply.

1 Corinthians 6:12 You say, "I am allowed to do anything"--but not everything is good for you. And even though "I am allowed to do anything," I must not become a slave to anything.

James 4:17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them.

God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed: to you it shall be for food.

Read the last 7 words of this quote.

The Bible says have a sober mind, yet men of God in the Bible consumed alcohol and the wisest man who ever lived (King Solomon) himself stated he used wine to cheer himself.

Solomon made all kinds of bad decisions that God in fact did allow, however, these decisions and actions did not please God and only ended up hurting Solomon more in the end. He took on a multitude of wives and had fortunes upon fortunes and abused all of his prosperity, and to what game? Then in the Book of Ecclesiastes you see him talking about all the things under the sun and this is where he gained wisdom and discernment between living righteously and living a debaucherated lifestyle.

Marijuana also helps cure the sick and is an antidote for some diseases.

Then let a doctor prescribe them. It's no different from abusing pharmaceuticals. As a matter of fact we derive the word pharmacy from the Greek word pharmakeia. Pharmakeia is in the bible and is translated to witchcraft in the bible.

Again I used to do drugs and it was until I learned how through my substance abuse I was opening up doors for demons to mess with me and then was delivered of those demons and several others that I quit all those drugs.

You can read my testimony on it here

Drug temptation

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Every drug known to, made by man began as a plant somewhere in it's origin at least... it's when the devil causes them to be altered or/and unpure that problems arise.

There is a medicinal marijuana that isn't the potent bad stuff for the body. Then again, even man-made drugs are bad for the body so be careful! (There is only ONE drug that cures anything (antibiotic) and all the rest of man's medicines only treat symptoms and only cause more side effects.)

IMO this is between you and God. However, I have become all but free of my chronic pain(s) through many natural methods of God's blessing and leading for me. Dr Caroline Leaf of Epigentics was key, Dr Joel Wallach has played a huge part as well. Self Hypnosis and eating real food not fake/man-made gmo'd junk... basic and healthy!

Good wishes on your endeavor.

Upvote 0

Mantishand

May 31, 2018
Murica
✟49,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cannabis is a hallucinogenic neurotoxin. It is carcinogenic. It was seen to stunt mental development and lower the IQ of teens who used it. It has been associated with increased traffic fatalities in Colorado where it is legal. Anything that causes a person to stumble is not of God (Mark 9).
In some areas the weed is illegal and the potential prison sentences alone should make a prudent person cease to use it. Besides all these things some studies linked marijuana to mental illness and psychosis. What bizarre thoughts have wasted the time of addicts smoking dope?

Many people who wanted to follow Jesus stopped using this drug.

--------

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Karin12414
Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2018
Ohio
✟8,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will start here. I used to smoke weed everyday and do several hallucinogenic drugs. It wasn't until I was delivered that I quit those things. First of all, it is against the law in America to abuse marijuana recreationally in most states.

Romans 13

1Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.2Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Ever heard of obey the law of the land?

Ephesians 5:18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit

I know here it doesn't say don't get high or don't smoke weed but I feel the same principles apply.

1 Corinthians 6:12 You say, "I am allowed to do anything"--but not everything is good for you. And even though "I am allowed to do anything," I must not become a slave to anything.

James 4:17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them.

Read the last 7 words of this quote.

Solomon made all kinds of bad decisions that God in fact did allow, however, these decisions and actions did not please God and only ended up hurting Solomon more in the end. He took on a multitude of wives and had fortunes upon fortunes and abused all of his prosperity, and to what game? Then in the Book of Ecclesiastes you see him talking about all the things under the sun and this is where he gained wisdom and discernment between living righteously and living a debaucherated lifestyle.

Then let a doctor prescribe them. It's no different from abusing pharmaceuticals. As a matter of fact we derive the word pharmacy from the Greek word pharmakeia. Pharmakeia is in the bible and is translated to witchcraft in the bible.

Again I used to do drugs and it was until I learned how through my substance abuse I was opening up doors for demons to mess with me and then was delivered of those demons and several others that I quit all those drugs.

You can read my testimony on it here

Drug temptation
. I wish there was a clear answer to this subject.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Most ships had thier ropes made of that plant it's pretty durable.
You can use it to make oil for treatment .
You can smoke it and get addicted and make idol of it .

Just like with dynamite . You could use it for blowing up rock in mines or blowing up people on battlefield .

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I say Oxygen is a gift from God for the purpose of breathing into the lungs. I believe if he wanted MaryJane smoked, He would have put it in the air, thereby makings it easier to breathe in. Without oxygen in the lungs, you die.....we can live without Mjane.

I choose not to see fault in or throw stones at those who smoke, however.
I have given you this day every green herb for smoking? Nay...for food. Does eating it give the same affect? maybe this is a good alternative...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Chinchilla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Romans was written when the governing bodies of the world were very different. To the “follow the law of the land” response, should we ALWAYS follow the law? What if the law puts to death Christians in some countries? If abortion is made legal does that make it right?

This becomes a debate objective morality. As you probably know, the object of Morality In the Christian faith is none other than God himself. Again I must quote that I am allowed to do anything but not everything is beneficial and while being able to do anything, I will not be a slave to anything. But we are called to be slaves of Christ.

My point is something can be legal/illegal and will be ethically wrong. Also, what if marijuana doesn’t cause me to “stumble” in my walk with God.

Maybe your conscience is clear but so is a multitude of homosexual Christians. It doesn't take away what the bible says about it. I would just caution you to be careful to not make another brother stumble.

Before I even think about using I connect with God and make sure I’ve already taken care of my responsibilities.

What responsibilities? Are you saying you are justified in your actions?

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, responsibilities such as work, taking care of my family. I do not let marijuana impede me from taking care of those things first. Wasn’t referring to anything spiritual

Do you think God is pleased with you smoking pot?

• Useful
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jul 22, 2018
Ohio
✟8,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think God is pleased with you smoking pot?

Do you think it condemns you?

What if someone uses marijuana occasionally where it is legal?

What is the threshold I guess is the question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The threshold is debauchery. The threshold is drunkenness. He could have used anything there but he used wine. You know magic mushrooms grow out of the ground too and all you gotta do is pick the right one and plop it in your mouth. That doesn't mean we should. Christians ought to have a list of things they ought to do and ought not do.

The bigger question is what is your justification for doing anything you do, and does it fit with God's plan for you and all that he calls you out to be?

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You could have a bottle of hydrocodone or colanapins or oxycodone just sitting on your counter one day but you know you are not in any pain but you feel tempted to take some. What is your justification for it? Who or what justifies you doing it objectively and or morally?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is it not OK for a leader to do? I think it has a lot to do with how these things are portrayed.

You mentioned that some people drink wine etc.... and the bible mentioned drinking wine......But when it came to leadership....It states that they should not be given to wine at all.......while seeming to allow little wine drinking to for those in lesser roles....

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The fact is when you lose yourself in it you have missed the mark. Your sober self. It could be even wine, just take a couple of sips you'll be fine. Keep sipping on it and you might be standing on the table singing karaoke. How much pot do you have to smoke just to enjoy it without getting high for non-medicinal purposes? What would be the point then if you're not smoking it to get high and you don't have any medical issues for it to treat? One hit gets you a little high but what is that? You want more! Until you were satisfied and then when you run out you want to go get more and you feel uncomfortable until you have some. Such is the symptoms of some one who has an addiction. And at that point yes it is a big problem.

Upvote 0