LDS Mandatory 15% tithe or excommunication fr church

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
You know what guys, I truly wanted to find out if what I heard was true.

But since I am being insulted over and over. I will just close the thread.

No more problems. I fixed it. :clap:

TBL, if you're honestly seeking information, then you should leave out the bashing and ask honestly. You'll get much better results.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
TBL, if you're honestly seeking information, then you should leave out the bashing and ask honestly. You'll get much better results.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I already put in the request to have the thread closed.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Teaching that a 10% tithe is commanded by God is one thing, if it's done on the honor system.

If the church leadership gets the idea that this gives them the authority to go through their members tax records, that's something different altogether.

The clergy is only supposed to ask people and then trust that they're being honest.

They're not supposed to look through a person's financial records unless the person is seeking church aid, and even then that's only to help determine how the person can restructure their finances to better cover their expenses.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
That was a direct quote from a Mormon.

If you read from the top, it says

On March 19, 1970, the LDS First Presidency sent a letter

the quote you accuse me of lying about was not even written by me, but a Mormon. The LDS First President. lol

Your OP said 15%.

Your own source says 10%.

Please quit playing innocent.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟906,575.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
We don't kick people out who fail to tithe.

In fact, I've noted several times now that back when I was a financial clerk, there were individuals in my branch who were declared "exempt" from tithing due to severe financial difficulties.

Why would they need to be exempt from something that apparently isn't mandatory?

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Why would they need to be exempt from something that apparently isn't mandatory?

If a person wants to just sit in the pews each Sunday, then they don't have to pay a dime.

If a person wants to be considered a member in good standing, which means that they can hold positions within the church, then they need to tithe as per the commandment unless they've been declared exempt.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Closed per OP request.jpg