Man is Polluting Science

Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
But it doesn't explain the origin of language.
The story of the Tower of Babel is a nice myth to explain the origin of languages (plural) and gets it completely wrong which you missed out! The many myths around the world about the origin of language are different.
We have credible, non-mythological science to explain the origin of language.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
... which you missed out! The many myths around the world about the origin of language are different.
Please highlight in red what was wrong about my post.

I'm familiar with the fact that you said "languages" (plural); but I said "language" (singular).

How did that make it wrong?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
How did that make it wrong?
I did not say you were wrong - your reply was
  1. Irrelevant to what I posted about the myth of languages (plural).
  2. Ignored that the myth of languages was wrong.
  3. May derail into another wrong myth about the origin of languages when we have credible, non-mythological science to explain the origin of language.
ETA: Added highlights in red.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,230.00
Faith
Pentecostal
The story of the Tower of Babel is a nice myth to explain the origin of languages (plural) and gets it completely wrong which you missed out! The many myths around the world about the origin of language are different.
We have credible, non-mythological science to explain the origin of language.
Did you even read that? There is little to no real evidence as to the origination of languages. The biblical story is as good an explanation as anything proposed by their studies. The off hand rejection of scripture as myth is not based upon a real study but on the typical bias of scripture is not real therefore I will believe anything else but the bible.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is your explanation for how separate languages have arisen long after the tower of Babel?
Are you asking me?

If so, they arose however scientists say they arose.

As long they don't contradict the Scriptures, I'm good with it.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
Did you even read that?
I read it, rjs33 but it may be that you did not. The origin of language is a list of credible, scientific theories. Scientists are honest in that they acknowledge that direct evidence for the origin is lacking which makes it a very hard subject to study.

The many myths around the world from many religions and cultures about the origin of language are different. They are not credible, scientific theories. They are often written down, self-contradictory oral myths with no evidence to support them and evidence against them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I read it, rjs33 but it may be that you did not. The origin of language is a list of credible, scientific theories. None of them are self-contradictory oral myths that have been written down with no evidence to support them and evidence against them.
You should know that the genealogy in Genesis 10 is considered authoritative in ethnology.
Check the reality. ;)

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
You should know that the genealogy in Genesis 10 is considered authoritative in ethnology.
Is that a joke about Genesis 10 being considered authoritative in ethnology? Or can you produce actual evidence from ethnology?
Show me the reality :clap:!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Show me the reality :clap:!
The Egyptians, for example, came from Mizraim.

Genesis 10:6 And the sons of Ham; Cush, and Mizraim, and Phut, and Canaan.
The name is of Semitic origin, directly cognate with other Semitic words for Egypt such as the Hebrew מִצְרַיִם (Mitzráyim).

SOURCE

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
A map labelling Egypt is not physical evidence as in Physical & Life Sciences :doh:. Show me the reality.
Here is a bit of reality: Egypt
Egypt has among the longest histories of any modern country, emerging as one of the world's first nation states in the tenth millennium BC.[14] Considered a cradle of civilisation, Ancient Egypt experienced some of the earliest developments of writing, agriculture, urbanisation, organised religion and central government. Iconic monuments such as the Giza Necropolis and its Great Sphinx, as well the ruins of Memphis, Thebes, Karnak, and the Valley of the Kings, reflect this legacy and remain a significant focus of archaeological study and popular interest worldwide

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0