Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Personally I have in great regard for a long time a person in the public eye. I am amazed by what that person says, the truth I see in the things he says in his line of work. I have such admiration that I think I consider him an idol. Then appeared in the public eye another person who caught my attention too.

Maybe I can say I have two idols.
I wrote to them about my situation in hope of a compassionate message and a guiding word, but got no reply.

I'm unable to distance myself from that mental relationship I have with their images (in my head). I would like to not idolize them. And since they don't even answer me... Any advice? I know we shouldn't have idols. But I can't seem to get my mind down to earth.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are right how we need to not have people as our idols. So, this is good that you know this.

And people can seem one way when they really are another way. Of course, there are ones who are better and more than we can see, at first.

I think it is good to personally get to know someone. And in case there really are good things about the person, we should become this way, ourselves :) But this means how we become more like Jesus and we love more like Jesus, because of following good examples >

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

• Friendly
Reactions: Lord'sWarrior
Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟486,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would like to not idolize them.

These men are simply human beings exactly like you. If you were to live with them for a week you would discover they are exactly like you. The only difference is they have experience and education that provides you with some since of respect - but they are just men - you are only seeing those things that you find valuable - if you were to spend time with them you would discover they also do things you disagree with or maybe even find distasteful. There is NO human that deserves to be idolized.

Praise God for providing them with something you find valuable.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think anything is wrong in that.. only you would know. As long is it does not exalt above Christ. And no one controls you..so.

Had my son who is 24 not to long ago told me how he sees me. Holy JESUS that is NOTHING like I see myself or know my self. I LOVED IT! But.. we only see flesh..never the heart. And then only moments in time.

Ask the holy Spirit to show you Christ.. ask Christ to show you Himself..to know Him closer then you would your parents spouse best friend..

• Friendly
Upvote 0

carp614

Apr 21, 2016
Home
✟29,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The trouble with making a person an idol is that they will let you down. Guaranteed.

There is a man in my church who a lot of people greatly respect and even revere. I met him. I listened to him preach, which he did with fervor and emotion and skill. I was encouraged and developed a profound respect and admiration for this man.

Then I became friends with him on Facebook. I remember being excited that I could friend him because I had assumed he would have hit facebook's maximum friends limit. Then I found out why he hadn't hit the limit. This guy was not who he seemed to be. To summarize, his Facebook was filled with political vitriol and borderline bigoted and even racist comments and memes. It greatly damaged his Witness. My respect for this man took a brutal hit and discovering this really stunned and saddened me. I never idolized this man and I was kind of devastated by what I discovered. Imagine if I had put him on a high pedestal what damage would have been done when he fell?

One way or another, you will learn not to do this.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personally I have in great regard for a long time a person in the public eye. I am amazed by what that person says, the truth I see in the things he says in his line of work. I have such admiration that I think I consider him an idol. Then appeared in the public eye another person who caught my attention too.

I wrote to them about my situation in hope of a compassionate message and a guiding word, but got no reply.

I'm unable to distance myself from that mental relationship I have with their images (in my head). I would like to not idolize them. And since they don't even answer me... Any advice? I know we shouldn't have idols. But I can't seem to get my mind down to earth.

How do these people compare with Jesus to you? Anyone we love more than Jesus is an idol. And it's a sin.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Please be aware the very fact you think he is an idol tells you it is wrong.
An idol is a god and our God commands us to have no other than Him.

Nobody but God will never let you down, all people are fallible even the very best ones.
You can admire someone I guess but that's as far as it goes.
No one is better than anyone else we are all people.
Personally I just stick with God.

Upvote 0