Making bed on the sabbath

Elihoenai

Who has ceased to eat Manna?
Apr 9, 2015
London, England
✟49,200.00
Faith
This is a long story. But to put it shortly, for over 2 years, no matter how much studying of the scriptures I do, I have not been able to convince myself that it isn't God's will for me to be a homeless minister. When I first started reading the gospels, the things that spoke very strongly to me were all the messages about forsaking all to follow the Lord. I absolutely could never get it out of my head that for me that meant being homeless and my job would be sharing the gospel with people I meet.

Im not going to say I enjoy this, and I would so much rather go get a full time job and get my own place and I have the skills and work ethic to do it. It wouldn't have taken me 2 years to finally do this if it was what I was into. Every day I pray and hope that I'm just crazy and God will reveal to me that I'm wrong by convincing me through His word that the truth is otherwise, but He has not done so yet.

So I stay at the shelter, and go downtown with a cardboard sign that has a bible verse on it. I don't accept money, and I wasn't going to accept food either until I offended someone by turning down their gift of a nutrition bar. I don't think she read the sign and she didn't really let me explain what I was doing before she walked off in an offended way.

I know that panhandlers will turn down food because they just want money for booze or drugs and it's possible she though this is what I was doing. What I'm doing out here is just so different from what people are used to that they just don't believe me, but I feel like I'll be condemned for not doing it and that's what I fear more than anything so I keep doing it.

It's not possible to understand the Gospels without the correct understanding of the Ancient Hebrew/Old Testament. With continued sincere study, Jehovah/Yahweh reveals his Mind and that is the Mind of Christ/Messiah.

Your zeal is an inspiration!

Romans 10:1-2 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

10 Brethren, the pleasure indeed of my heart, and my supplication that [is] to God for Israel, is -- for salvation;

2 for I bear them testimony that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge,

Upvote 0

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If a war occurred do you think that the Israelites just said, sorry guys its Sabbath... cant fight today.

Tradition actually says there was a time when the Jews refused to fight a war on the sabbath, but the results were so bad that they decided from then on they would only defend themselves on that day and not make any offensive move.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,620.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That's not necessarily true...work is *part* of that concept, and because the Sabbath was maid for man,does that mean to you we can do anything we want? Not me.

And no, labor is labor, says nothing about just your regular job. With that line of thought, I can go out and work on the shed I'm building because it's not my regular job.

Not sure why your addressing me? Who's to say where to draw the line? You?

I think I made it clear we can get to technical with "work",and your comment on a war, that one is a no brainer, it's an OX in the ditch situation, can't be helped.

If you disagree with my general rule of if it can wait I don't do it, you tell me exactly why you disagree with that, or how you think I should do it? I'm just not sure what point you are addressing towards me.

These are little things we need to work out with ourselves, but to pop in like you have all the answers like that, just doesn't look good...you do not have the answers to how choose to do things, or the million and one ways others choose to treat the Sabbath, nor was what you said any thing we don't know already.

I never said I had all the answers and if you think that making your bed is breaking Sabbath, then with all due respect you have screws loose

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I never said I had all the answers and if you think that making your bed is breaking Sabbath, then with all due respect you have screws loose

Rage over what others choose for themselves, and that have put on no one else?

Why would it bother you so much that I personally choose to put a few things off for the Sabbath? Don't worry, you don't have to feel guilty for making your bed, or maybe you do. lol...;)

Oh, the control/anger issues..that's something we should work on 24/7.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,620.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Rage over what others choose for themselves, and that have put on no one else?

Why would it bother you so much that I personally choose to put a few things off for the Sabbath? Don't worry, you don't have to feel guilty for making your bed, or maybe you do. lol...;)

Oh, the control/anger issues..that's something we should work on 24/7.
Project much? lol I find people that have to make a point of projecting on other on a message board are the ones who are struggling with the issues that they project on others.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Project much? lol I find people that have to make a point of projecting on other on a message board are the ones who are struggling with the issues that they project on others.

Man, that's convenient. And funny too, since I think your making every last bit of it up for that very reason. :)

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,808.44
Faith
Messianic
This is a long story. But to put it shortly, for over 2 years, no matter how much studying of the scriptures I do, I have not been able to convince myself that it isn't God's will for me to be a homeless minister. When I first started reading the gospels, the things that spoke very strongly to me were all the messages about forsaking all to follow the Lord. I absolutely could never get it out of my head that for me that meant being homeless and my job would be sharing the gospel with people I meet.

Im not going to say I enjoy this, and I would so much rather go get a full time job and get my own place and I have the skills and work ethic to do it. It wouldn't have taken me 2 years to finally do this if it was what I was into. Every day I pray and hope that I'm just crazy and God will reveal to me that I'm wrong by convincing me through His word that the truth is otherwise, but He has not done so yet.

So I stay at the shelter, and go downtown with a cardboard sign that has a bible verse on it. I don't accept money, and I wasn't going to accept food either until I offended someone by turning down their gift of a nutrition bar. I don't think she read the sign and she didn't really let me explain what I was doing before she walked off in an offended way.

I know that panhandlers will turn down food because they just want money for booze or drugs and it's possible she though this is what I was doing. What I'm doing out here is just so different from what people are used to that they just don't believe me, but I feel like I'll be condemned for not doing it and that's what I fear more than anything so I keep doing it.
To be in this world and not of this world. I know the spiritual struggle. I can not answer what God has put on your heart, but I can say that Satan knows the scripture to twist it. Paul was a tent maker, and his work included more than street preaching.

1 Corinthians 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
To be in this world and not of this world. I know the spiritual struggle. I can not answer what God has put on your heart, but I can say that Satan knows the scripture to twist it. Paul was a tent maker, and his work included more than street preaching.

1 Corinthians 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Paul never mentions evangelism, surprisingly. He was a total failure when he tried it at the Areopagus - his audience walked out, except a handful of people. So we take heart if we fail - we do as Paul did, move on.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,808.44
Faith
Messianic
Paul never mentions evangelism, surprisingly. He was a total failure when he tried it at the Areopagus - his audience walked out, except a handful of people. So we take heart if we fail - we do as Paul did, move on.
All I am suggesting is be more than a "giver of the word" but also a "compassionate giver" Many of the verses of giving all for the gospel, give this believer a separation from society physically, yet stuck living in the dredges of society physically. Thinking that, has put him in a position of burden on society, which God never intended. In order to be a compassionate giver, he needs to rise up, and be a part of society in which he can be a "doer of the word." I understand the wrestling with the meaning of those verses that seem to indicate "giving all to the poor." But like the Prodigal Father, even in giving of His all, He still had it to give more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
All I am suggesting is be more than a "giver of the word" but also a "compassionate giver" Many of the verses of giving all for the gospel, give this believer a separation from society physically, yet stuck living in the dredges of society physically. Thinking that, has put him in a position of burden on society, which God never intended. In order to be a compassionate giver, he needs to rise up, and be a part of society in which he can be a "doer of the word." I understand the wrestling with the meaning of those verses that seem to indicate "giving all to the poor." But like the Prodigal Father, even in giving of His all, He still had it to give more.

I was just making a comment on Paul's itinerant ministry and the fact that sometimes, like him, we also have to move on from where we are. :)

• Agree
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0