Magnolia, AR
✟994,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is very important to me, if everyone will allow me the indulgence of actually making this request its own topic just to better catch everyone's eyes (instead of inserting it in the middle of the WOYM thread as usual).

For some reason in my particular case, my CRS score (this ridiculously arbitrary thing that determines my chances of being selected for express entry immigration to Canada) really hinges on how well I score the second time I take that stupid English test, here in two Saturdays from now. My CRS score right now is 360 (which is pretty low considering you can get as high as 1200), and the lowest threshold with each "drawing" the Canadian government does bi-monthly or so to pick a few people for express entry right now is 415. They are supposedly lowering that threshold each month for 2018, but as of right now according to my attorneys I must score a 7.5 in the test's writing section and an 8 in the readng section just to raise my CRS to approximately 415, or else I simply have no chance of getting selected during any drawing. Because I just do not do well on standardized tests like this, I scored a 6.5 in both sections where I am lacking the first time, and to raise them to 7.5 and 8 seems like a daunting task. And it's ridiculous to me that despite my education and work experience in the science and technological field, my CRS right now is way below the lowest threshold, and that just doing a little bit better on two of the four sections on this IELTS test determines right now whether I even score just barely high enough to have a chance at being selected during any of the drawings. Just this one thing. This one test.

I have been round and round with my attorneys over this, what else I can do to raise my CRS, and what factors kept my score so low in the first place. And it has been frustrating, especially considering how costly the IELTS test is to take in the first place. I mean, no wonder immigrants from poorer countries try to get into this country illegally in the first place, if getting into the U.S. is anywhere near the same costly and time-consuming process as it is getting to Canada.

So please pray that I succeed in getting the scores I need on the IELTS test when I take it soon. I am really anxious to move forward in this endeavor to emigrate North. I keep praying, continuing trying to make certain that it is still the will of the Spirit for me to go there, and the answer is still "yes". So I do not know any other path I can take other than continuing on this same one. :puff:

Also, I wanted to ask everyone's opinion, if they would be keen on the idea of another Bible reading thread like the one I started in 2016, where we try to get through reading all of Scripture in one year's time, and with a different reading schedule than before. I figure, one year reading, one year off to rest, and then we might be ready to go through it again to gain fresh perspective's on the Lord's word. There is always room to learn something new in regular books, after all. How much more so the greatest book of them all? So if you are in, please let me know in this thread. And I will intend to start the first Monday of next month, just like last time. :angel:

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Definitely praying for you - I know how frustrating it must be to have to go through that. I know that God will be with you the whole time, and our prayers will be too. :hug:

Also, I would definitely be interested in the Bible-reading thread. I tend to forget to read the Bible unfortunately, so I think that would help me and all of us! :)

• Friendly
Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Said a prayer for you, SK. :cool: It hasn't been long since you posted this thread, but any updates on this?

Thanks, Miss Owlette. :)

And yes, there is one. I just took that IELTS test (the English thing I mentioned above about having to get better scores on) over earlier today, actually. It really doesn't feel like I did any better, but if God sees fit perhaps it will turn out I am wrong and I actually did blessedly do better enough to raise my CRS to just barely minimum.

And if it does not, well, I am already thinking of a plan for the near future. While waiting for the CRS minimum to drop all the way to 360, where I am at as of now. It would probably be years before that happens, but still, at least I will get there to Ontario eventually. :)

I will know the IELTS testing results in about two weeks.

Upvote 0

Owlette

Mar 21, 2012
✟95,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And yes, there is one. I just took that IELTS test (the English thing I mentioned above about having to get better scores on) over earlier today, actually. It really doesn't feel like I did any better, but if God sees fit perhaps it will turn out I am wrong and I actually did blessedly do better enough to raise my CRS to just barely minimum.

And if it does not, well, I am already thinking of a plan for the near future. While waiting for the CRS minimum to drop all the way to 360, where I am at as of now. It would probably be years before that happens, but still, at least I will get there to Ontario eventually. :)

Wow, you just took the test over today! That's cool... Hope you got your score of 415... That's too bad they require that high of a score. :fearful: I hope there aren't any other major hurdles stopping you from getting there after this test!

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate

Continued prayers for you! :pray: I really hope that it works out the best way. I know that God will be with you whatever happens, and nothing is impossible with Him. :)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can i ask what is a CRS test, what is the point in it.

Oh, the English language proficiency test I had to take twice now is called IELTS.

The CRS score I am needing to improve is how the Canadian government determines your eligibility for being invited by them to apply for the quickest method of immigration. And what is frustrating is it really appears that doing better on certain parts of the IELTS tests is the only way I have to be able to raise my current CRS score of 360 just to the minimum requirement of 415.

415 is the lowest they have gone yet during their immigration "drawing" That occurs bi-monthly , selecting so many out of a pool of applicants for immigration, although supposedly in 2018 the minimum will keep going down as Canada loosens its laws concerning immigration up a bit. So it means that as of now, as long as my CRS stays at 360, I have no chance of ever getting selected. Not for years at this rate, anyway.

It still just floors me that my CRS is so low despite my education and skilled labor experience. But other factors I cannot help keep it low, such as my age range and the fact that I am single with no family. =/

• Friendly
Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes a new bible study thread would be great, i would be willing to help out :)

That makes two people, then. :)

I had best find a new reading plan somewhere soon so we can start a thread on it next month.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NurseAbigail

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2017
NC
✟48,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Prayer for you, Dear Father in Heaven, i pray that You would continually guide my bro in Christ, may he get the scores to raise his CRS to 415. Give him wisdom on how to tackle this. Open doors for him and give him peace while he prepares. When the time comes for the test, sharpen his test taking skills, remove any doubts or worries. In Jesus name, amen.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is very important to me, if everyone will allow me the indulgence of actually making this request its own topic just to better catch everyone's eyes (instead of inserting it in the middle of the WOYM thread as usual).

For some reason in my particular case, my CRS score (this ridiculously arbitrary thing that determines my chances of being selected for express entry immigration to Canada) really hinges on how well I score the second time I take that stupid English test, here in two Saturdays from now. My CRS score right now is 360 (which is pretty low considering you can get as high as 1200), and the lowest threshold with each "drawing" the Canadian government does bi-monthly or so to pick a few people for express entry right now is 415. They are supposedly lowering that threshold each month for 2018, but as of right now according to my attorneys I must score a 7.5 in the test's writing section and an 8 in the readng section just to raise my CRS to approximately 415, or else I simply have no chance of getting selected during any drawing. Because I just do not do well on standardized tests like this, I scored a 6.5 in both sections where I am lacking the first time, and to raise them to 7.5 and 8 seems like a daunting task. And it's ridiculous to me that despite my education and work experience in the science and technological field, my CRS right now is way below the lowest threshold, and that just doing a little bit better on two of the four sections on this IELTS test determines right now whether I even score just barely high enough to have a chance at being selected during any of the drawings. Just this one thing. This one test.

I have been round and round with my attorneys over this, what else I can do to raise my CRS, and what factors kept my score so low in the first place. And it has been frustrating, especially considering how costly the IELTS test is to take in the first place. I mean, no wonder immigrants from poorer countries try to get into this country illegally in the first place, if getting into the U.S. is anywhere near the same costly and time-consuming process as it is getting to Canada.

So please pray that I succeed in getting the scores I need on the IELTS test when I take it soon. I am really anxious to move forward in this endeavor to emigrate North. I keep praying, continuing trying to make certain that it is still the will of the Spirit for me to go there, and the answer is still "yes". So I do not know any other path I can take other than continuing on this same one. :puff:

Also, I wanted to ask everyone's opinion, if they would be keen on the idea of another Bible reading thread like the one I started in 2016, where we try to get through reading all of Scripture in one year's time, and with a different reading schedule than before. I figure, one year reading, one year off to rest, and then we might be ready to go through it again to gain fresh perspective's on the Lord's word. There is always room to learn something new in regular books, after all. How much more so the greatest book of them all? So if you are in, please let me know in this thread. And I will intend to start the first Monday of next month, just like last time. :angel:

your english seems perfect.... well as perfect as anyone else here. I would not have guessed you were ESL.

Praying for you.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
your english seems perfect.... well as perfect as anyone else here. I would not have guessed you were ESL.

Praying for you.

Oh, no, English is my native language (if you were saying that you now believe it is not; sorry, I do not know what you mean by "not have guessed you were ESL"). But you are required to take this test regardless as part of the immigration process.

But thank you for the prayers. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oh, no, English is my native language (if you were saying that you now believe it is not; sorry, I do not know what you mean by "not have guessed you were ESL"). But you are required to take this test regardless as part of the immigration process.

But thank you for the prayers. :)
yes, ESL = English as Second Language

so what does this english test, test you on then. if you are a native speaker seems like you should automatically get at least more than 50%. Is it more like the SAT than a, "can you communicate clearly in an english society?"

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it more like the SAT than a, "can you communicate clearly in an english society?"

It's more of the former.

And it's harder than you'd think. Especially the timed writing part. =/

Upvote 0

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's more of the former.

And it's harder than you'd think. Especially the timed writing part. =/

Comparing it to the SAT english test puts it into perspective for me. I didn't take the SAT, I took the ACT, but I understand.... It also fits what I understand about entrance requirements to Canada being more severe than other countries. They only want people who can perform skills that there own people don't have... or something like that I read. You already know. So you have to be, not just more intelligent, but smarter than the common Canadian.
I learned a little about it when I was looking into moving to Norway.

I wonder how well I would do?

Upvote 0