Major job opportunity, but HUGE problem!!

youthminister

Feb 28, 2006
✟112.00
Faith
Christian
Hey everyone. I'm new here to the forums. I need some insight from anyone and everyone. I have been at a church now for 9 months. I love it here. Its a great place, but there are some problems as there are everywhere.

Out of the blue, I get a call from a church that has 1200 more members, and wants to talk to me about joining their staff.

Now, they haven't offered me a job yet or anything, but I'm trying to prepare myself if they do. The specifics: They're going to pay about $12,000 more than what I make here, plus insurance, grad school, and many other perks that I don't have here. What would you all do?

12345678and9

Dec 21, 2005
✟15,861.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
youthminister said:
Hey everyone. I'm new here to the forums. I need some insight from anyone and everyone. I have been at a church now for 9 months. I love it here. Its a great place, but there are some problems as there are everywhere.

Out of the blue, I get a call from a church that has 1200 more members, and wants to talk to me about joining their staff.

Now, they haven't offered me a job yet or anything, but I'm trying to prepare myself if they do. The specifics: They're going to pay about $12,000 more than what I make here, plus insurance, grad school, and many other perks that I don't have here. What would you all do?
Trust God to lead you where He wants you...If it works out and you feel that you are being lead there, then go for it. Do not do it for "perks" though. Go where your ministry will make the most impact to christians and others seeking Christ. Pray and wait...God will give you the right answer, not any of us...:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

CaseyRacquel

Souled Out
Feb 8, 2006
✟15,273.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I recently have been going through similar things with my job.

The advice I received was to take all the excitement and emotionalism out of the decision making. The excitement of more money and perks, the emotionalism of leaving a new job, the excitement of more members, the pains of problems at churches and politics, (Which is truely everywhere). And focus on an inward witness. Listen on the inside for the leading and for the inward witness. Pray, pray in the spirit, fast whatever you ahve to do until that inward witness comes.

Upvote 0

friendofthebridegroom

Oct 8, 2003
✟7,701.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Remember that it's not about the numbers...find where your heart is going to be enlarged to love Jesus the most. This is the most important thing. Just because there are more people doesn't mean that it is better. More money should NOT be an incentive in ministry unless you are in a tight place and its the answer to prayer for provision. The enemy will do things and allow oppurtunities that may seem good on the front end but leave you dry and burnt out on the back end. Def. pray, pray, pray, pray, pray, pray, pray, pray, pray....ask people that are going to be involved what they think. If its not going to be a positive spiritually for everyone involved then it might not be a good choice...Sorry if I sound negative...just the whole thing about people going places because of numbers and pay gets me goin...God Bless You and show you the way to go.

Upvote 0

GeorgeB

Mar 16, 2006
Virginia
✟593.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You mainly have to follow your heart, also praying to God and see what He wants you to do works as well. Look deep inside your sould and heart and then make a decision. You have to do the thing that you love the most and that God wants you to do. You can never do a job for the money or "perks". Other wise it will never work out in the long run.

Romeo

Upvote 0