ChordatesLegacy

Jun 21, 2007
✟17,761.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
LINK

I think we all accept that machines are getting cleverer, and if this continues it is inevitable that they will become our equals, intellectually that is, at some point in the future.

As these machines would be far superior to us humans in the exploration of space etc, due to them not needing gases to breath, food to eat, company, not suffering zero gravity illnesses etc.

Are humans resigned to the dustbin, as the future seems to belong to you machines?

Will machines with imagination have to be considered to have souls?

Atheuz

It's comforting to know that this isn't a test
May 14, 2007
✟16,641.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm just waiting for the Technological Singularity, because it's badass. Seriously though, it's bound to come sooner or later, it's the last invention man needs to make - A computer smarter than man, it'll make us worthless in terms of technological progress because the singularity will just keep improving itself and make better versions which will become exponentially better because by every improvement it makes it'll be able to make even better improvements.

Upvote 0

ChordatesLegacy

Jun 21, 2007
✟17,761.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't think I can see computers significantly smarter than humans any time soon. I do have a good hundred years to stick around to see one, on the other hand...

In general I would agree, but continuous progress in AI technologies makes it inevitable that machines will one day be more intelligent than humans.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In general I would agree, but continuous progress in AI technologies makes it inevitable that machines will one day be more intelligent than humans.

Ya ... someday.

We always get fed fancy futuristic paradigms. Someone comes up with an idea, and the first thing is that someone publishes it on page one. Then when the idea falls through, there's either no mention of it, or it's failure gets published on page nine. Weren't we supposed to run out of food eight years ago?

Upvote 0

ChordatesLegacy

Jun 21, 2007
✟17,761.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ya ... someday.

We always get fed fancy futuristic paradigms. Someone comes up with an idea, and the first thing is that someone publishes it on page one. Then when the idea falls through, there's either no mention of it, or it's failure gets published on page nine. Weren't we supposed to run out of food eight years ago?

For once we are in agreement, however the trend is for faster and cleverer machine, unless there is some boundary to the continuation of this trend, the inevitable outcome is highly intelligent machines

Upvote 0

Patashu

Veteran
Oct 22, 2007
✟16,793.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Ya ... someday.

Put it in context, though; our failures today are probably better than our successes a decade or two ago. We're definitely getting better at this whole robotics and AI thing.

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"So, as machines progress in intelligence, will we allow them to become more intelligent than ourselves, or will we instead just augment our own intelligent using them instead?"

probably both. nanotech is a promising industry. implantable or even injectable performance enhancing machines may very well be a reality in my time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Why do people assume that without Asimov's Laws of Robotics, any machines we create will turn on us and "relegate us to the dustbin?"

I expect cybernetics to improve as technology does, and eventually our communications devices, data management services, and other conveniences will all be fully integrated.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why do people assume that without Asimov's Laws of Robotics, any machines we create will turn on us and "relegate us to the dustbin?"

I see you've never met Deep Blue. ;)

Upvote 0

Molal

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2007
United States of America
✟38,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I think we will end up augmenting ourselves to become better, faster more resilient. We are already seeing this trend in medical devices (cochlear implant, ocular implants, amputee's, etc). We are also seeing tracking devices such as RFiD for pets and humans.

The big break through will be enhancing cognitive storage ability (and immediate access to stored information), and sensory enhancement through the melding of our nervous system.

In my opinion, robots will be doing repetitive and dangerous jobs and enhanced electronic equipment and software used for the enhancment of human life.

Upvote 0

Hnefi

Jan 22, 2007
Sweden
✟8,123.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I very much doubt we will see widespread use of cybernetics within the next century. Besides all the technical difficulties, most people seem happy with who they are, except for minor improvements - but lasic eye surgery is a far cry from implanted hard drives.

I also think there is an overestimation of the capabilities of AI. AI is a very successful field, but not in the way some of us would like. We have long, long way to go before we can create anything that is even close to the cognitive abilities of mammals. The problem isn't hardware, it's software. It's damn hard to build intelligent systems, and it doesn't help that there is a gap between the academia, who are very good at creating algorithms, and the industry, which is very good at implementing algorithms. I don't think we'll see self-aware machines for another forty years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Luckily for mankind, chess has never killed anyone.

The phrase was "relegate us to the dustbin." I've had that done to me a few times in tournaments. ;)

Upvote 0

necroforest

Jul 29, 2007
Washington DC
✟15,839.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
For once we are in agreement, however the trend is for faster and cleverer machine, unless there is some boundary to the continuation of this trend, the inevitable outcome is highly intelligent machines
There's theoretical upper bounds on what can be achieved computationally, but there's a lot more to being "smarter than man" than just fast computational power; computers work very differently than brains do, and to make a "smarter" machine we'd need a much better understanding of what makes us smart.

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
There's theoretical upper bounds on what can be achieved computationally, but there's a lot more to being "smarter than man" than just fast computational power; computers work very differently than brains do, and to make a "smarter" machine we'd need a much better understanding of what makes us smart.
A large portion I think is intuition. We're able to solve problems in creative, abstract ways because we can instinctively spot patterns and trends in ways that computers simply can't.

Upvote 0