Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 1:18

καὶ ἄρχειν τῆς ἡμέρας καὶ τῆς νυκτὸς καὶ διαχωρίζειν ἀνὰ μέσον τοῦ φωτὸς καὶ ἀνὰ μέσον τοῦ σκότους καὶ εἶδεν ὁ θεὸς ὅτι καλόν

and rule the day and the night and separate up middle the light and up middle the darkness and saw the God that good.

And they ruled the day and night and separated the light and darkness up the middle and God saw that this was quality workmanship.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 1:19

καὶ ἐγένετο ἑσπέρα καὶ ἐγένετο πρωί ἡμέρα τετάρτη

and came evening and came morning day fourth

Evening came and morning came, the fourth day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 1:20
καὶ εἶπεν ὁ θεός ἐξαγαγέτω τὰ ὕδατα ἑρπετὰ ψυχῶν ζωσῶν καὶ πετεινὰ πετόμενα ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς κατὰ τὸ στερέωμα τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καὶ ἐγένετο οὕτως

and said the God bring-out-of the water reptile life living and birds flying upon the land under the foundation the heaven and happened so

The God said, "Bring out of the the water living reptile life and flying birds upon the land under the foundation of heaven", and it happened.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 1:21

καὶ ἐποίησεν ὁ θεὸς τὰ κήτη τὰ μεγάλα καὶ πᾶσαν ψυχὴν ζῴων ἑρπετῶν ἃ ἐξήγαγεν τὰ ὕδατα κατὰ γένη αὐτῶν καὶ πᾶν πετεινὸν πτερωτὸν κατὰ γένος καὶ εἶδεν ὁ θεὸς ὅτι καλά

and made the God the creatures the large and all life living reptiles which he-brought-out-of the water according-to kind it's and all birds flying according-to kind and saw the God that good

And the God made the large creatures and all the lives of the living reptiles which he brought out of the water, each one according to it's kind, and all the flying birds according to their kinds and God saw that it was good.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 1:22

καὶ ηὐλόγησεν αὐτὰ ὁ θεὸς λέγων αὐξάνεσθε καὶ πληθύνεσθε καὶ πληρώσατε τὰ ὕδατα ἐν ταῖς θαλάσσαις καὶ τὰ πετεινὰ πληθυνέσθωσαν ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς

and blessed them the God saying grow and fill and filled the waters in the seas and the birds filled upon the land

And the God blessed them saying, "grow and fill", and they filled the waters in the seas and the birds filled the land.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Genesis, in the Greek Septuagint

Genesis 1:1
ἐν ἀρχῇ ἐποίησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν οὐρανὸν καὶ τὴν γῆν

in the-beginning created the God the heavens and the earth.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

(This is my opinion of what the greek text says, feel free to contribute.)
Subscribing
Where can I find the LXX/English version you use?

One thing I notice was the absence of the article "the" in both the hebrew and greek of that verse.

It is also absent from Reve 1:1 as YoungsLT shows in his translation.
Not sure how relevant that is tho. Thoughts?

Search for 'Genesis 1:1' in the version

Young) Revelation 1:1 A revelation of Jesus Christ, that God gave to him, to shew to his servants what things it behoveth to come to pass quickly; and he did signify [it], having sent through his messenger to his servant John

Textus Rec.) Revelation 1:1 apokaluyiV ihsou cristou hn edwken autw o qeoV deixai toiV douloiV autou a dei genesqai en tacei kai eshmanen aposteilaV dia tou aggelou autou tw doulw autou iwannh

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Subscribing
Where can I find the LXX/English version you use?

One thing I notice was the absence of the article "the" in both the hebrew and greek of that verse.

It is also absent from Reve 1:1 as YoungsLT shows in his translation.
Not sure how relevant that is tho. Thoughts?

Search for 'Genesis 1:1' in the version

Young) Revelation 1:1 A revelation of Jesus Christ, that God gave to him, to shew to his servants what things it behoveth to come to pass quickly; and he did signify [it], having sent through his messenger to his servant John

Textus Rec.) Revelation 1:1 apokaluyiV ihsou cristou hn edwken autw o qeoV deixai toiV douloiV autou a dei genesqai en tacei kai eshmanen aposteilaV dia tou aggelou autou tw doulw autou iwannh

I'm getting the text from here (I hope that I didn't need explicit permission to repost): Genesis 1 Greek OT: Septuagint with Diacritics

This online text has links to greek definitions: Greek Septuagint - Wiki English Translation - Genesis 1

Then I seach Liddell and Scott and other lexicons to try to get the meaning of some of the more obscure words. There hasn't been as much done with the LXX as the the NT. But I feel like the more greek I am exposed to, the better I will understand it. So I wanted to have something in addition to the NT texts to read. My ultimate goal in reading the LXX is to understand the greek of the NT better. Some of the NT words are used only once in the NT. If I can see those words in broader contexts, then I will be able to understand and retain them better.

You have a good point about arche. I don't know know why I put "the beginning". Probably because everyone else does. "In beginning" doesn't capture what I think it means, perhaps "In ancient days"? But if the LSS translator wanted to say that, he could have.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 1:23

καὶ ἐγένετο ἑσπέρα καὶ ἐγένετο πρωί ἡμέρα πέμπτη

and became evening and became morning day fifth

And evening came, and morning came. The fifth day.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 1:24

καὶ εἶπεν ὁ θεός ἐξαγαγέτω ἡ γῆ ψυχὴν ζῶσαν κατὰ γένος τετράποδα καὶ ἑρπετὰ καὶ θηρία τῆς γῆς κατὰ γένος καὶ ἐγένετο οὕτως

and said the God gather-out the land lives living according-to type four-footed and reptiles and beasts the land according-to type and became so

And the God said, "Gather living lives (or souls) out of the land according to each type - four footed animals and retiles and beasts of the land - each according to type." And it became so.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 1:25

καὶ ἐποίησεν ὁ θεὸς τὰ θηρία τῆς γῆς κατὰ γένος καὶ τὰ κτήνη κατὰ γένος καὶ πάντα τὰ ἑρπετὰ τῆς γῆς κατὰ γένος αὐτῶν καὶ εἶδεν ὁ θεὸς ὅτι καλά

and made the God the beasts the land according-to type and the creatures according to type and all the reptiles the land according to type their and saw the God that quality

and the God made the land beasts according to their type and the creatures according to their type and all the land reptiles according to their type and God saw that it was well made.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 1:26

καὶ εἶπεν ὁ θεός ποιήσωμεν ἄνθρωπον κατ' εἰκόνα ἡμετέραν καὶ καθ' ὁμοίωσιν καὶ ἀρχέτωσαν τῶν ἰχθύων τῆς θαλάσσης καὶ τῶν πετεινῶν τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καὶ τῶν κτηνῶν καὶ πάσης τῆς γῆς καὶ πάντων τῶν ἑρπετῶν τῶν ἑρπόντων ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς

and said the God we-will-make man according-to image our and according-to likeness and rule the fish the sea and the birds the sky and the creatures and all the land and all the reptiles the creep upon the land

And the God said, "We will make man according to our image and according to our likeness and he will rule the fish of the sea and the birds of the sky and the creatures and all the land and all the reptiles that creep upon the land."

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 1:27

καὶ ἐποίησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν ἄνθρωπον κατ' εἰκόνα θεοῦ ἐποίησεν αὐτόν ἄρσεν καὶ θῆλυ ἐποίησεν αὐτούς

and made the God the humans according image God made he male and female made them

And the God made the humans, He made them according to God's image, He made them male and female.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 1:28

καὶ ηὐλόγησεν αὐτοὺς ὁ θεὸς λέγων αὐξάνεσθε καὶ πληθύνεσθε καὶ πληρώσατε τὴν γῆν καὶ κατακυριεύσατε αὐτῆς καὶ ἄρχετε τῶν ἰχθύων τῆς θαλάσσης καὶ τῶν πετεινῶν τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καὶ πάντων τῶν κτηνῶν καὶ πάσης τῆς γῆς καὶ πάντων τῶν ἑρπετῶν τῶν ἑρπόντων ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς

and blessed them the God saying increase and multiply and fill the land and lord-over it and rule the fish the sea and the birds the sky and all the creatures and all the land and all the reptiles the creep upon the land

And the God blessed them saying, "Increase and multiply, fill the land and rule over it. Rule the fish of the sea, the birds of the sky, all of the creatures, all of the land, and all of the reptiles that creep on the land."

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 1:29

καὶ εἶπεν ὁ θεός ἰδοὺ δέδωκα ὑμῖν πᾶν χόρτον σπόριμον σπεῖρον σπέρμα ὅ ἐστιν ἐπάνω πάσης τῆς γῆς καὶ πᾶν ξύλον ὃ ἔχει ἐν ἑαυτῷ καρπὸν σπέρματος σπορίμου ὑμῖν ἔσται εἰς βρῶσιν

and said the God behold I-have-given you all grass planted sow seed which is over all the land and every tree which has in itself fruit seeds planted yours is for food

And the God said, "Behold, I have given you all of this planted grass. Sow the seeds which are over all the land. And I have given you every planted tree which has it's own fruit seeds, they are yours to eat."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
haha yeah i speak english. im american. i said "do you speak Greek my friend."

i actually dont really read Greek. i can only speak it very limitedly. and when i say very limitedly i mean VERYYYYYY limitedly.

im unable to answer ur question. sorry man.
I thought you were 'ellinika, because of the Greek Flag and the Athens location. I understood what you wrote, but I am not fluent. Are you biking in Greece? That would be incredible. I rode through Sparta (Wisconsin). Not really the same thing. I would love to go to Greece.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Gen 1:30

καὶ πᾶσι τοῖς θηρίοις τῆς γῆς καὶ πᾶσι τοῖς πετεινοῖς τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καὶ παντὶ ἑρπετῷ τῷ ἕρποντι ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς ὃ ἔχει ἐν ἑαυτῷ ψυχὴν ζωῆς πάντα χόρτον χλωρὸν εἰς βρῶσιν καὶ ἐγένετο οὕτως

and all the beasts the land and all the birds the sky and all reptiles the creep upon the land which have in itself souls living all grass green for eating and became so

"and all the beasts of the land and all the birds of the sky and all reptiles that creep upon the land which have in themselves living souls all have green grass for food." And it became so.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Gen 1:31

καὶ εἶδεν ὁ θεὸς τὰ πάντα ὅσα ἐποίησεν καὶ ἰδοὺ καλὰ λίαν καὶ ἐγένετο ἑσπέρα καὶ ἐγένετο πρωί ἡμέρα ἕκτη

and saw the God that all which he-did and behold good very and became evening and became morning day sixth

And the God saw all that he did and he saw that it was very good. Evening came and morning came, the sixth day.

Upvote 0