Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Does anybody know of any resources about Lutheran spirituality or theology of prayer?

Since I became a Lutheran, it has seemed like this part of my spiritual life has dropped off somewhat. I think because perhaps Lutheranism has been somewhat deconstructive spiritually, with some negative tendencies along with the good.

I come from the Orthodox tradition where prayer was emphasized alot, particularly the necessity of praying regularly. But spiritual formation doesn't seem to be something that is talked about a lot in my Lutheran church. Perhaps due to a Lutheran tendency towards passivity and suspicion of piety, or perhaps due to an invasive secularism that simply sees prayer as less important than more materialistic and "practical" concerns.

My own pastor has encouraged me to just keep the prayer and the private devotions I had as an Orthodox Christian, but I also want to understand how other Lutherans approach this subject.

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
CPH put out a really nice resource a few years ago that includes short liturgies of prayer, three office prayer liturgies, day-by-day readings and daily collects, and tons of other resources. There are several different print versions available, as well as Kindle. The same resources are included in an app called PrayNow, which will insert the appropriate readings into the liturgies automatically if you want it to. TDP uses modern language and the ESV bible.

Amazon.com: Treasury of Daily Prayer (9780758615145): Concordia Publishing House: Books

Concordia Publishing House

Concordia Publishing House

There is also an unrelated resource put out by the Lutheran Liturgical Prayer Brotherhood that has received favorable endorsements from across the Lutheran spectrum. It is geared toward those with an interest in Gregorian chant and draws heavily from the Western monastic tradition. There is also an associated website to assist in learning the various chant tunes, answers questions about the prayer book, and gives additional information. The LBPB uses more formal language and the KJV bible.

The Brotherhood Prayer Book: Second Revised Edition

Lutheran Liturgical Prayer Brotherhood

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I found a used Lutheran Book of Worship last week, it does have morning and evening prayer though it is set to chanting tones/musical notation. It looks very similar to the Episcopalians morning and evening prayer.

Another good thing I noticed is that the Psalter has notation for chanting, an improvement over the Book of Common Prayer.

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
A few years ago many LCMS churches switched from the 1941 The Lutheran Hymnal to the new Lutheran Service Book. In addition to great hymns, The Lutheran Hymnal includes Matins and Vespers, Psalms, prayers, and other devotional material. TLH can probably be had free for the asking from a Lutheran pastor.

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I found a used Lutheran Book of Worship last week, it does have morning and evening prayer though it is set to chanting tones/musical notation. It looks very similar to the Episcopalians morning and evening prayer.

Another good thing I noticed is that the Psalter has notation for chanting, an improvement over the Book of Common Prayer.
When the German Lutherans switched to English, they borrowed heavily from the Anglican tradition for liturgical material, with a tweak here and there to more closely reflect Lutheran theology.

Upvote 0