Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How would you define the sins in the title? I think lust of the eyes is wanting something very much, but I'm not sure. Pride of life could mean that you're simply very haughty or proud about yourself. I don't know about lust of the flesh.

1 John 2:6 For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world.

Doulosiesou

Jan 1, 2018
Colorado
✟16,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it's kind of explained in the preceding verse:

Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world

So to me loving the world is loving the system of the world, like having a good job, lots of money, respect, admiration, etc. The lust of the flesh is pretty obvious things like sex, or excelling in athletic ability, these things lead to pride in your abilities instead of focusing on God. Lust of the eyes would be obsessing about beauty, that's probably where I can easily fall into temptation with things I can create.

It's really all about idolatry John finishes off that Book with:

Little children, guard yourselves from idols.

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Doulosiesou

Jan 1, 2018
Colorado
✟16,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I mean ideally, we would be thinking of others instead of ourselves. Even pastors, I've left services before and stood in line as everyone waited to shake the pastors hand and everyone said, great sermon pastor. This feeds the ego.

So it got to the point where I either would just skip the 'line' or if I had to go through it to get out the door I'd shake his hand and say peace brother, emphasizing brother to see if I got a response. That was my ego trying to put the pastor in his place.

We get all messed up in our heads. It can be hard to just focus on God.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
How would you define the sins in the title? I think lust of the eyes is wanting something very much, but I'm not sure. Pride of life could mean that you're simply very haughty or proud about yourself. I don't know about lust of the flesh.

1 John 2:6 For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world.
This is precisely why we have the Holy Spirit in us to transform our minds to be more Christlike.

Upvote 0

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It basically means loving everything that the world has to offer such as lusting for women/men instead of being content with who we have, the love of money, power to feel in control which is fed by pride, popularity etc.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

We cannot help but sin. Lusting for all kinds of things that are not good for us. I tell myself to seek joy not pleasure. Big difference. Also when it comes to food and spending, i remind myself take only what i NEED not want. From self discipline and restraint comes joy.
Cannot do it alone. So always prayer is the way. We are not able but our God is.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,932.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Lust of the flesh is love of pleasure or leisure or even food.

Lust of the eyes is materialism, you are correct on this.

Pride of life is running after success and achieving something in this world. Something to be proud of like getting that dream job, getting that car, getting that apartment, something to tell to your friends and relatives that life is so good and blessed for you.

These are things that are suprisingly very familiar and the same things we may be committing already. :)

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for making this topic.

Lust of the flesh: hedonism, pleasure, self-indulgence, sensuality.

Lust of the eyes: committing adultery in the heart, chasing materialism, dreaming about things and experiences in this world.

Pride of life: wanting to be somebody important, desiring control, desiring to be free of dependence upon the Lord.

Matthew 18:2-4

2 Jesus called a little child to stand among them.
3 “Truly I tell you,” He said, “unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of Heaven.
4 Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Upvote 0

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So to me loving the world is loving the system of the world, like having a good job, lots of money, respect, admiration, etc. The lust of the flesh is pretty obvious things like sex, or excelling in athletic ability, these things lead to pride in your abilities instead of focusing on God. Lust of the eyes would be obsessing about beauty, that's probably where I can easily fall into temptation with things I can create.

It's really all about idolatry John finishes off that Book with:

Little children, guard yourselves from idols.

Is it enough to stay humble or do you mean that should I get a poor job, give my money away and abstain from sex and exercise? You said that these lead to pride.

What does obsessing about beauty mean?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is precisely why we have the Holy Spirit in us to transform our minds to be more Christlike.

I think that is what finally happens in my mind. I am realizing that a lot of things I consider doing could be sinful because I really want to do them because of lust and pride.

Upvote 0

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for making this topic.

Lust of the flesh: hedonism, pleasure, self-indulgence, sensuality.

Lust of the eyes: committing adultery in the heart, chasing materialism, dreaming about things and experiences in this world.

Pride of life: wanting to be somebody important, desiring control, desiring to be free of dependence upon the Lord.

Matthew 18:2-4

2 Jesus called a little child to stand among them.
3 “Truly I tell you,” He said, “unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of Heaven.
4 Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Thank you, this is a good list:)

I can use it when I'm in doubt about the sinfulness of anything (ok not absolutely anything).

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course all these things are illusions. Only love for God and doing His will is real and lasting. That is treasure and joy

Is the pleasure from sinning always fleeting? Can a sin ever give you pleasure for the rest of your life or will it always end in guilt if you don't repent?

Upvote 0

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lust of the flesh is love of pleasure or leisure or even food.

Lust of the eyes is materialism, you are correct on this.

Pride of life is running after success and achieving something in this world. Something to be proud of like getting that dream job, getting that car, getting that apartment, something to tell to your friends and relatives that life is so good and blessed for you.

These are things that are suprisingly very familiar and the same things we may be committing already. :)

I otherwise agree with you, but lust of the eyes doesn't include only materialism but also inappropriate contentography etc.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We cannot help but sin. Lusting for all kinds of things that are not good for us. I tell myself to seek joy not pleasure. Big difference. Also when it comes to food and spending, i remind myself take only what i NEED not want. From self discipline and restraint comes joy.
Cannot do it alone. So always prayer is the way. We are not able but our God is.

Usually when I sin I mistake pleasure for joy or think that they are the same. Thanks for pointing out the difference!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Can a sin ever give you pleasure for the rest of your life or will it always end in guilt if you don't repent?

No. Those ensnared by hobby-sins must keep sinning again and again because sin is fleeting and impermanent, unlike the Word of God. We must strive to put to death our fleshly desires. The more we do this, the more alive to the Spirit we become.

Romans 8:7-8
because the mind of the flesh is hostile to God: It does not submit to God’s Law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the flesh cannot please God

Galatians 5:19-21
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; idolatry and sorcery; hatred, discord, jealousy, and rage; rivalries, divisions, factions, and envy; drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God

Romans 8:13
For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live

Romans 6:5-6
or if we have been united with Him like this in His death, we will certainly also be raised to life as He was. We know that our old self was crucified with Him so that the body of sin might be rendered powerless, that we should no longer be slaves to sin

Colossians 3:5
Put to death, therefore, the components of your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, and greed, which is idolatry

• Agree
Reactions: NurseAbigail
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,932.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I otherwise agree with you, but lust of the eyes doesn't include only materialism but also inappropriate contentography etc.

I think inappropriate contentography goes to lust of the flesh. Otherwise, as long as it is included in the list, no problems there.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,932.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I would like to point out that many Christians strive to acquire these things and attribute them to God as "blessings" or even "miracles" if they succeed.....However, these verses clearly state are not from God but from the world.

God's true blessings are the Spirit, the Word, and Eternal life - all these are mentioned in John chapter 6 as the only things that matter and everything else is worthless. Would a Good Father give you worthless things? As King David has said, "I do not chase after worthless things".

Upvote 0

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No. Those ensnared by hobby-sins must keep sinning again and again because sin is fleeting and impermanent, unlike the Word of God. We must strive to put to death our fleshly desires. The more we do this, the more alive to the Spirit we become.

Romans 8:7-8
because the mind of the flesh is hostile to God: It does not submit to God’s Law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the flesh cannot please God

Galatians 5:19-21
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; idolatry and sorcery; hatred, discord, jealousy, and rage; rivalries, divisions, factions, and envy; drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God

Romans 8:13
For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live

Romans 6:5-6
or if we have been united with Him like this in His death, we will certainly also be raised to life as He was. We know that our old self was crucified with Him so that the body of sin might be rendered powerless, that we should no longer be slaves to sin

Colossians 3:5
Put to death, therefore, the components of your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, and greed, which is idolatry

I have a problem with boredom. It's hard to endure even a hour of boredom without indulging into many sins simply out of boredom and the need of things to do. Now I'm sitting here watching out of the window because I realized many of the other options are sinful. I am the kind of person that waits their holiday ends because I don't have anything to do for all day. So, what should I do?

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So, what should I do?

Well, you need to reduce and get control of your gross sins. I'd recommend fasting and praying for at least a full day to start.

Not to say that salvation is by our own effort, but changing your attitude from loving your sin to disliking it to hating it is a course of action that will show that you are serious about repentance.

Upvote 0