Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, you need to reduce and get control of your gross sins. I'd recommend fasting and praying for at least a full day to start.

Not to say that salvation is by our own effort, but changing your attitude from loving your sin to disliking it to hating it is a course of action that will show that you are serious about repentance.

Yes I try to do that.

I'm not sure you understood my question. I meant what should I do to fill the boredom and excess time I have without doing anything sinful.

Upvote 0

Doulosiesou

Jan 1, 2018
Colorado
✟16,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it enough to stay humble or do you mean that should I get a poor job, give my money away and abstain from sex and exercise? You said that these lead to pride.

What does obsessing about beauty mean?

I think other people put it better, lust of the eyes is coveting.

I can't tell you what to do, only God can lead you into maturity in the Spirit. That is a walk, and it takes our entire lives. The point is we have to walk, God provides the feet and legs but we will the walk. The focus should always be God and not idols. As I said John finishes the book discussing idols, idols are anything we create or others create to be a substitute for God.

That list is extensive and IMO the church has many, many idols but I don't want to get into that. Suffice it to say

Matt 6:33 But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

It's not easy no one can give you a good answer not pastors, commentaries, famous people, only the Holy Spirit can guide you into understanding.

• Agree
Reactions: Fish14
Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I tjink life is given to us to enjoy. But not to be slaves to enjoyment. We should be in control- actually Jesus our Lord should be in control. I pray that my life belongs to our Lord and for Him to guide me daily. To help me not to set store by anything here beyond a certain level, for all this will pass away. I have to remind myself that this life really is just an illusion. Only Christ and heaven are everlasting and really real.
Having said this, life is precious and simple humble enjoyment is my target. Being grateful is so important. I try to dwell on the positives. Even when i dealt with being bereaved, which we all must at some stage, i never stopped valuing life. My life. My need to live and develop. Life is from God and is a gift.

• Agree
Reactions: Doulosiesou
Upvote 0

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I tjink life is given to us to enjoy. But not to be slaves to enjoyment. We should be in control- actually Jesus our Lord should be in control. I pray that my life belongs to our Lord and for Him to guide me daily. To help me not to set store by anything here beyond a certain level, for all this will pass away. I have to remind myself that this life really is just an illusion. Only Christ and heaven are everlasting and really real.
Having said this, life is precious and simple humble enjoyment is my target. Being grateful is so important. I try to dwell on the positives. Even when i dealt with being bereaved, which we all must at some stage, i never stopped valuing life. My life. My need to live and develop. Life is from God and is a gift.

I agree. I find it hard to understand that life is an illusion and I often subconsciously act like this life is everything there is and do dumb decisions for the "enjoyment" which passes away.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Back to Eden:

Genesis 3...the temptation
6 When the woman SAW that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the EYES, and that the tree was desirable to make one WISE, she took from its fruit and ate.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
1 John 2: (NASB)....BELIEVERS: Do Not Love the World (cosmos)
15 Do not love the world nor the things in the world.
If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world,
the lust of the flesh (SIN NATURE) and
the lust of the eyes (TEMPTATIONS) and
the boastful pride of life (SELF MORE THAN GOD), is not from the Father, but is from the world.
17 The world is passing away, and also its lusts;
but the one who does the will of God
(TO BELIEVE HIS SON) lives forever.

Upvote 0