United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Officials: Couey confessed to investigators

Saturday, April 9, 2005 Posted: 5:06 AM EDT (0906 GMT)

(CNN) -- A convicted sex offender facing capital murder charges in the killing of a 9-year-old Florida girl told investigators he buried her alive, law enforcement sources told CNN Friday night.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/04/09/lunsford/

tollytee

Feb 19, 2005
Sun Valley, Nevada
✟1,910.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Harpuia said:
There are just some things that all the laws in the world cannot avoid.

I have to disagree with you, Harp. Why can't we put these people in prison for life after their first conviction? I know people talk about rehabilitation and treatment, but that just has never worked.

Think about this. I am attracted to adult women. You can treat me for 100 yrs. and I will still be attracted to adult women. It is the same with people who are attracted to children. They can't change, IMO. Therefor, the only way to fight this plague on our children is to insure that these predators are behind bars forever.

And yes, I am convinced this child is with God and enjoying heaven and His love.

Respectfully

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
tollytee said:
I have to disagree with you, Harp. Why can't we put these people in prison for life after their first conviction? I know people talk about rehabilitation and treatment, but that just has never worked.

If it is a sure bet, sure, I'm all for it. But not if there is circumstantial evidence. This is one of those where I'm all for it. However, anyone can escape from prison or cut a deal to get parole.

Think about this. I am attracted to adult women. You can treat me for 100 yrs. and I will still be attracted to adult women. It is the same with people who are attracted to children. They can't change, IMO. Therefor, the only way to fight this plague on our children is to insure that these predators are behind bars forever.

And yes, I am convinced this child is with God and enjoying heaven and His love.

Respectfully

If you put it in that way, you're giving people grounds to legalize "loving" children or at least to lower the age consent.

Upvote 0

tollytee

Feb 19, 2005
Sun Valley, Nevada
✟1,910.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Harpuia said:
If you put it in that way, you're giving people grounds to legalize "loving" children or at least to lower the age consent.

I certainly am not giving grounds. I just don't think these people can change their ways any more than you or I would, regardless of how much treatment and counseling we recieved.

Respectfully

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I agree with tolly here. These people have their wires crossed somewhere and I doubt you can change that. That doesn't mean we should legalize peodphilia. It means that we should lock people who commit such crimes up for life the FIRST time with no chance of parole. These people who murder chidlren ALWAYS start out with smaller crimes against children. They get locked up for 5 or 10 years, get out, and start killing. Time to start punishing them harder for the smaller crimes so they aren't allowed to advance to kidnapping and murder.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
tollytee said:
I certainly am not giving grounds. I just don't think these people can change their ways any more than you or I would, regardless of how much treatment and counseling we recieved.

Respectfully

Again, you're saying they can't be changed?

That's the exact reason homosexuals are only a hop, skip, and a jump away from having gay marriages legalized. They're saying they can't be changed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Harpuia

Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
InnerPhyre said:
Some people have personality traits that CANNOT be changed. Serial murderers are nuts and cannot be changed. That doesn't mean we should legalize their practices.

You're right, it shouldn't. But I'm talking from a "liberal" standpoint here that if you cannot change who you are, you shouldn't be punished for it.

Upvote 0

tollytee

Feb 19, 2005
Sun Valley, Nevada
✟1,910.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Harpuia said:
You're right, it shouldn't. But I'm talking from a "liberal" standpoint here that if you cannot change who you are, you shouldn't be punished for it.

Can you look at it from the standpoint of 'isolating' and 'controlling' rather than punishment?

Respectfully

Upvote 0

tollytee

Feb 19, 2005
Sun Valley, Nevada
✟1,910.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Harpuia said:
Again, you're saying they can't be changed?

That's the exact reason homosexuals are only a hop, skip, and a jump away from having gay marriages legalized. They're saying they can't be changed.

Yes, I am saying they can't be changed, only supervised (failure) or treated (failure), or locked up for good on the first offense (successful).

InnerPhyer is correct. A survey of child predators who ultamately killed their victim, assaulted scores of children before they escalated to murder. Had these people been locked up after there first conviction, how many children would be alive today?

For those who never kill, it is estimated that a prolific molester will molest on average of 380 times per year ( I will try to find and provide this statistic). Most molesters over the age of 30 have been convicted of at least 2 previous offenses. If one does the math, this is just devastating to our society.

Respectfully

Upvote 0