Member of pro-Nazi group used Molotov cocktails in attempt to burn down Ohio church planning to host a drag event, FBI says.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
A member of a neo-Nazi group was arrested Friday after attempting to burn down a church in Ohio that was planning to host a drag show event, according to court documents.

Aimenn D. Penny, 20, of Alliance, Ohio, has been charged in the US District Court in Cleveland with one count of malicious use of explosive materials and one count of possessing a destructive device, according to a criminal complaint.

The FBI claims Penny is a member of “White Lives Matter,” a pro-Nazi group, according to an affidavit filed in court Friday. The FBI said the group has “racist, pro-Nazi, and homophobic views.”

Penny confessed he attempted to burn down the church using Molotov cocktails, “to protect the children and stop the drag show event,” according to the criminal complaint.

Law enforcement agencies obtained a court order to collect historical location data from Penny’s cellphone after receiving a tip, the affidavit said. While searching Penny’s home, agents found a Nazi flag and other Nazi memorabilia, a handwritten note with ideological statements, a White Lives Matter of Ohio T-shirt, a gas mask, multiple rolls of blue painter’s tape and gas cans, the document says.

The Community Church of Chesterland, located in Geauga County, went ahead with hosting the drag queen story hour and brunch event Saturday, the church’s minister told CNN.

--

see also: Doughnut shop in Tulsa hit with a molotov cocktail after drag-queen art show

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why would a church be holding a drag-show event? That would be like having strippers int he chapel

Because it's not a "drag show". It's a story reading for children. The story tellers were dressed in "drag", they were not "stripping". How is that any different from story tellers dressed in animal costumes?

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
OK, why would a church have guys in drag reading to little kids?
Because they want to? It may come as a surprise to you, but not all congregations have a problem with drag queens.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why would a church be holding a drag-show event? That would be like having strippers int he chapel
That's your takeaway from news story about an attempted act of terrorism?

• Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Churches are places of worship, not edgy sociopolitical activities aimed at kids
Churches are community spaces, to be used for whatever the members of the church wish to use them for (with the permission of the church leadership, of course).

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟56,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Churches are community spaces, to be used for whatever the members of the church wish to use them for (with the permission of the church leadership, of course).
so church is just about what people want to do when they get together? No guidelines from say people like ...Jesus?

if that is the case, why not set up a pay-day loan operation next to the tabernacle? Maybe do some gambling in the basement, or strip shows on Friday?

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
so church is just about what people want to do when they get together? No guidelines from say people like ...Jesus?
A "church service" or "mass" generally has set parameters. Outside of services, the church building may be used for whatever the church leadership deems appropriate.
if that is the case, why not set up a pay-day loan operation next to the tabernacle? Maybe do some gambling in the basement, or strip shows on Friday?
Assuming that those establishments would be within the zoning laws of the locality and that they would not violate the bylaws of any parent religious body (i.e. the SBC), then why not?

In this case, the church is affiliated with the UCC, which is a pretty liberal body. You are free not to attend if you don't like what they do.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟56,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A "church service" or "mass" generally has set parameters. Outside of services, the church building may be used for whatever the church leadership deems appropriate.

Assuming that those establishments would be within the zoning laws of the locality and that they would not violate the bylaws of any parent religious body (i.e. the SBC), then why not?

In this case, the church is affiliated with the UCC, which is a pretty liberal body. You are free not to attend if you don't like what they do.
I am not saying what they are doing is unlawful, or that they should be prevented from doing what they want (as long as laws are not broken)

but I am saying I disagree with drag-queens interacting with kids in churches

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not saying what they are doing is unlawful, or that they should be prevented from doing what they want (as long as laws are not broken)

but I am saying I disagree with drag-queens interacting with kids in churches
Disagreeing with something is fine. It's the holier-than-thou moralizing that I have a problem with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums