Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Does it matter what position we are in when we pray?
What is the christian way to pray?

i am asking this because in prayer time at school I notice some children assume the lotus position, I asked our bible teacher and she says it doesnt matter, but I find it a bit disturbing because its associated with new age and hinduism. The way she does it is to ask the children to bow their heads and close their eyes. And put their hands together so they dont fidget. Then she prays and the children repeat the prayer after her.

What about the stipulation in corinthians that women cover their heads and men dont? Are the men men to lift up their hands? Would appreciate some biblical advice.

I know muslims kneel and touch their heads to the floor they have prayer rugs, and need to face to Mecca. None of the children do that, but I imagine if some came from a muslim background they would.

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

i am asking this because in prayer time at school I notice some children assume the lotus position, I asked our bible teacher and she says it doesnt matter, but I find it a bit disturbing because its associated with new age and hinduism. The way she does it is to ask the children to bow their heads and close their eyes. And put their hands together so they dont fidget. Then she prays and the children repeat the prayer after her.

What about the stipulation in corinthians that women cover their heads and men dont? Are the men men to lift up their hands? Would appreciate some biblical advice.

I know muslims kneel and touch their heads to the floor they have prayer rugs, and need to face to Mecca. None of the children do that, but I imagine if some came from a muslim background they would.
I would take it to her supervisor

The lotus position isn't just a way to sit It actually has spiritual significance in Hinduism

As for the Corinthian women covering their heads that was a cultural practice specific to their culture It isn't axiomatic for all women

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Do the cross their legs like they do in the Lotus position? Are their hands clasped together like we were taught as children? Typically the lotus position also has the feet above the legs unlike sitting cross legged. It seems to be difficult to get into that position accidentally...

padma.gif

yoga-lotus-position-vector-671262.jpg

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They do the half lotus postion and some put their hands in an asana like the top picture with the fingertips and thumbs touching.

After posting, I realized that the top photo wasn't the best example...hence why I erased it :) sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You could suggest that they change it to kneeling as well as putting the hands together. That seems to be a traditional way for Christian kids to pray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Most all the children sit cross legged anyway, its just the hand positions..

Do you think it may be better to lay hands on the children while praying?

Honestly, I was taught to pray like this as a kid

393b23f74483628671065ab0f8589ba5.jpg

I don't see a problem with praying like the photo in this post. I did tend to fold my hands though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Jews before Christ clasped their hands. It seems to also come from that culture. Many think it comes from the 11th or 12th century though with servants begging feudal lords for something.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Biblical advice please...

You don't consider historical information to be as important as the yoga knowledge? Both are extra biblical.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In my tradition, we don't pray with folded hands. We often follow the pattern of Jesus if we are in deep prayer.

And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

There are Biblical forms of what I just posted about Jesus and kneeling with hands stretched out. I haven't read anything in the Bible saying folding hands is wrong.

Emulating the exact position of the Lotus is a bit more shady. Just folding hands though...I don't see a single thing in the Bible saying we can't do that.

http://www.kencollins.com/worship/pray-20.htm

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just would like scripture sorry. I want to see what God says.

See my post above.

Seriously though, learning the culture is helpful for understanding Scripture.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can you please post scripture references so i can look it up. Thanks.

Can you look at the scripture references in the link? It shows them all there.

Upvote 0