Looking for a church

J

JesusIsMyBoaz

I am very nervous about finding a new church. I was raised Catholic, and have always considered myself Catholic until a couple years ago, when I finally realized that I was not Catholic in my heart. ie, I didn't believe in their doctrine anymore.

I have major social anxieties, so going to different churches is very difficult for me to do. I listen to sermons on podcasts, and seem to agree with much of the 2 Baptist ministers have preached. I went to a church, Association of Free Lutherans, and really loved the small, family qualities of the church. The minister's teaching is similar to my beliefs. I have friends in this church, and I feel comfortable there.

But God lead me to another church last weekend. The Lutheran church was camping and the services where at the camp ground. I asked God to lead me to a place to worship. I arrived late, but I was still able to listen to the sermon, which I felt was truth of God's words. I attended bible study, and really enjoyed that as well. On my way out, I saw that it was an Assemble of God, a Pentecostal church. I read their information and found one thing that bothered me. It talked about how once you've been baptized in the Holy Spirit, you will speak in tongues as an initial sign of the Holy Spirit. I believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, but I have never spoken in tongue. To top things off, I don't know anyone in this church.

I feel strongly that God is leading me to this place. But it's charismatic, and with my Catholic background, it's a little (a lot) uncomfortable for me. I'm the kind of person who hates attention being placed on me, so I don't see myself raising my hands and coming to the altar or anything else.

Maybe none of this makes sense, but i am struggling with this dilemma. I want to be an active member of a church and offer my talents and gifts to help in ministry. Please advice me on your thoughts. Am I making too much of this because of my fears and anxieties?

Thank you for listening.

AllTalkNoAction

Potentially Wonderful
Aug 7, 2005
Near London, England
Visit site
✟19,423.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
. .. .
Maybe none of this makes sense, but i am struggling with this dilemma. I want to be an active member of a church and offer my talents and gifts to help in ministry. Please advice me on your thoughts. Am I making too much of this because of my fears and anxieties?
Hi JIMB!
I was raised church of England but believing their creed didn't make any discernable difference to me (or anyone else) so I just walked away. I'll PM the full story.

Many seek a church that suits them, but God has set up His church and he seeks people to join that church, cos that's what suits him!

God wants a happy family of people that truly know him.
To that effect God infills all members with His Spirit (Acts 2:4, 33, 39) - that's how you become a member! (1 Cor. 12:13, Acts 2:37-39).

Then he has given various ministries and gifts to help all grow in his love.

Sadly man has lost sight of this so we have groups that don't have these things, and some that do ave it but who say it's optional to fit in with the others, and we often find there is lack of discernment so people follow emotionalism thinking it's The Spirit. But the good news is, all these things can be overcome, it seems you have already done some of this, and you will hear Jesus voice leading you into all truth so you, like a plant in good soil and sunshine will grow and bear much fruit.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I asked God to lead me to a place to worship. I arrived late, but I was still able to listen to the sermon, which I felt was truth of God's words. I attended bible study, and really enjoyed that as well. On my way out, I saw that it was an Assemble of God, a Pentecostal church. I read their information and found one thing that bothered me. It talked about how once you've been baptized in the Holy Spirit, you will speak in tongues as an initial sign of the Holy Spirit. I believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, but I have never spoken in tongue. To top things off, I don't know anyone in this church.

I feel strongly that God is leading me to this place. But it's charismatic, and with my Catholic background, it's a little (a lot) uncomfortable for me. I'm the kind of person who hates attention being placed on me, so I don't see myself raising my hands and coming to the altar or anything else.
I can relate to this. I've been attending an Assemblies of God church myself, and I had no previous charismatic background either. I was never Catholic; my church background had been Baptist (mainline, not Southern or fundamentalist), Disciples of Christ and Lutheran (ELCA).

My previous mistaken impression of the denomination was that it was ultra-conservative, fundamentalist, and full of wacko snake handlers and holy rollers. Perhaps that description may fit some congregations, especially in the Deep South, but it doesn't even remotely fit the one I go to. Quite to the contrary, my church is definitely not legalistic and not given to excessive emotionalism. But it is full of Christian love and sound theology. There is no pressure to speak in tongues or do anything else distinctively charismatic: if the Spirit so moves you, fine, and if not, that's fine too. The people are very friendly, but not nosy or judgmental. The service I go to is an evening youth service, featuring praise & worship rock, and with a very casual "come as you are" dress code. The pastor doesn't preach, but teaches, and very well too. I always enjoy his sermons, most of all because every time I learn something I didn't know.

I say give it a try. There's nothing to lose, and you may find as good a home as I have. :thumbsup:

:holy:

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am very nervous about finding a new church. I was raised Catholic, and have always considered myself Catholic until a couple years ago, when I finally realized that I was not Catholic in my heart. ie, I didn't believe in their doctrine anymore.

One second...I would not want you to follow a Church you don't believe, but what is truth to you? What God says? Or what is "in your heart" personally?

The measure of a Church being from Christ is whether or not it is true. I am Catholic. My personal feelings are subordinate to God's Word. I can show you the truth of the Church if you like. PM me or ask, and I'll give you some links.

Upvote 0
J

JesusIsMyBoaz

I would think, go to the church that has no pretentions. Finding that out isn't going to happen overnight though.

Personally, I hate going to new churches. It's uncomfortable.

Good luck. :)
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that is uncomfortable about going to new churches. I have prayed about this a lot, and feel that God has placed me where I need to be right now. I just need to stop arguing with God... LOL

Thanks

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't want to be negative, but my advice would be to be verrrry careful about a new church that is so welcoming and filled with good and decent people that you are led to conclude that this is where God is directing you. It could be a friendly and sincere group of Christians who, however, are NOT the ones God is intending for you to join.

So it is not that I am saying to avoid this church, just give it time and keep yourself from a commitment until you are sure. It is not uncommon for one to have a marvelous first impression but for it not to hold up after one attends for awhile.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I have major social anxieties, so going to different churches is very difficult for me to do. I listen to sermons on podcasts, and seem to agree with much of the 2 Baptist ministers have preached. I went to a church, Association of Free Lutherans, and really loved the small, family qualities of the church. The minister's teaching is similar to my beliefs. I have friends in this church, and I feel comfortable there.

But God lead me to another church last weekend. The Lutheran church was camping and the services where at the camp ground. I asked God to lead me to a place to worship. I arrived late, but I was still able to listen to the sermon, which I felt was truth of God's words. I attended bible study, and really enjoyed that as well. On my way out, I saw that it was an Assemble of God, a Pentecostal church. I read their information and found one thing that bothered me. It talked about how once you've been baptized in the Holy Spirit, you will speak in tongues as an initial sign of the Holy Spirit. I believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, but I have never spoken in tongue. To top things off, I don't know anyone in this church.

Thank you for listening.
Why not visit an Eastern Orthodox church after all you were Catholic and we are sister Churches. You will feel at home experiencing our Divine Liturgy :) Please visit us at The Ancient Way :) here at Foru.ms (CF) There are many friendly people to talk to.

God bless,
Philothei

PM to me if you need any help finding and Eastern Orthodox Church in your area. I would be glad to help you find one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Thank you for listening.

I'm very sympathetic to what you are saying. Many Pentecostal churches are friendly and welcoming. They show the love of Christ and you can't fail to appreciate it. On the other hand, I know what you mean about how that would work for you personally. While I have no magic bullet of an answer for you, don't think that your situation is rare. But there is a church that is right for you and has the strengths of both kinds of worship that you would want. Keep looking and you will succeed, I am sure.

As others have noted, you can't just go by denomination and denominational profiles since individual parishes or congregations can vary a lot, especially in the "feel" if not in doctrine. I would also be careful about saying that God led you to another church this weekend. That could be the case or it could just be an accident. I tend towards the advice that was given me years ago that if the call is real, it will nag at you, not just seem right on first experience.

Upvote 0