Toronto
✟49,837.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No, that is not appropriate and should not have happened. I am not defending that at all.

My comment was related to the calling out of 3 Pentacostal based church worship ministries and then stating that they didn't believe charismatic churches were real churches. That is dangerous and really not appropriate for someone to do when they do not know the beliefs and ministry of the church. So I posted the statement of belief from one of them (not Hillsong). IMHO, the essentials are all there. Your mileage may vary.
Hillsong churches and Bethel are known to do demonic stuff. The people falling on the floor and the "drunk in the spirit" talk that is really freaky... I am not speaking of all Pentecostal churches and I cannot do that, because I believe that some are real churches... I am speaking of those specifically and there are many online videos on YouTube that show and prove that their practices are demonic and don't tie in with God's word...

Upvote 0

coffeeandprayer

Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
✟49,837.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Be careful about judging others who worship with different styles from yours. The Pentecostals are vastly different from Baptists, but both proclaim the gospel. I've copied a statement of faith from a Pentacostal church below. You'll find a couple of differences I'm sure from your church, but the essentials are not.

FWIW, I'm evangelical, not charismatic.

I really appreciate your comment but I am not speaking of "Pentecostal churches" in general and I have made that very clear. As a Christian, I CAN judge with a righteous judgment the bible says to judge those who claim to be our "brothers and sisters" in Christ by their fruit! And these churches practice demonic rituals and I specifically spoken about Hillsong and Bethel... You can look up their videos on YouTube and see for yourself what I am talking about.

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hillsong churches and Bethel are known to do demonic stuff. The people falling on the floor and the "drunk in the spirit" talk that is really freaky... I am not speaking of all Pentecostal churches and I cannot do that, because I believe that some are real churches... I am speaking of those specifically and there are many online videos on YouTube that show and prove that their practices are demonic and don't tie in with God's word...
I used to frequent places with "slain in the spirit" phenomenon .... it never really overloaded me so I had to fall down, I Just liked to dance I think ...
Some questionable practices going on since what is said about people responding like that in the scriptures, usually when that happens it's when the demons come out ... so maybe it was a good thing that I didn't fall down and go into a seizure.
I did get something good out of all those experiences, this was being able to discern the spirit of God from all the other spirits and we got a lot closer from it ... but that was part of my journey ... it doesn't have to be everyone's.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,087.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi, I’m a born again Christian, (Baptist) and I only listen to Christian music. So I love worship music. I used to love listening to Hillsong, Jesus Culture and Bethel music. For the past year, I know deep down in my spirit, God doesn’t want me to listen to their music anymore. I came across some of their church practices and they looked totally demonic to me, nothing to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I felt extremely convicted and decided that I will no longer buy their music or listen to their songs. (Just my personal conviction.) I know they have some of the best Christian songs, but I want to honour God and not my flesh. I don’t agree with what goes on in their churches. Many things are not biblical and their pastors don’t speak the truth when they they are in public like pastor Carl Lentz, when asked about gays in the church and if abortion is sinful or not. He never has biblical answers, although the Bible is very clear. He’s scared not to offend men, and would rather offend God. The way I look at it is this, if an amazing band, mocked my own parents, and didn’t honour my parents in any way, would I still buy their music and listen/sing their songs? Or would I be upset and hurt and want nothing to do with them and just pray for them instead? What these churches/elders are doing is mocking Jesus’ name and then selling music and making millions of dollars and claiming to be Christians just because they “sang” about Jesus yet their works show bad fruit that do not honour the Lord in any way. I am upset because I loved their music and also because I see them using the Lord’s name to make profit while not living a godly Christian lifestyle. (Matthew 7:22-23)

Now my question is this, thankfully my church does not sing any of their songs, but this bothers me so much that I always think what if they sing one of their songs this Sunday?! If my church does, should I say something? Just the thought of it really bothers me.
I am a big fan of the original Hillsong with Darlene Zcheck. My wife listens to the new Hillsong United. She has shown me some of their songs that are truly inspired, but most of their music sounds like they want to hypnotize you.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,087.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You can always listen to hebraic music - that is where our faith comes from anyway - the hebrew language.

To me anyway, even though I don't understand it, when I listen to Hebrew Bible verses being sung, it is so soothing.

Reactions: Devin P
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
but most of their music sounds like they want to hypnotize you.
Yeah ... play hypnotic songs before a suggestion to give money .. gotta love it when churches do that ;)

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, I’m a born again Christian, (Baptist) and I only listen to Christian music. So I love worship music. I used to love listening to Hillsong, Jesus Culture and Bethel music. For the past year, I know deep down in my spirit, God doesn’t want me to listen to their music anymore. I came across some of their church practices and they looked totally demonic to me, nothing to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I felt extremely convicted and decided that I will no longer buy their music or listen to their songs. (Just my personal conviction.) I know they have some of the best Christian songs, but I want to honour God and not my flesh. I don’t agree with what goes on in their churches. Many things are not biblical and their pastors don’t speak the truth when they they are in public like pastor Carl Lentz, when asked about gays in the church and if abortion is sinful or not. He never has biblical answers, although the Bible is very clear. He’s scared not to offend men, and would rather offend God. The way I look at it is this, if an amazing band, mocked my own parents, and didn’t honour my parents in any way, would I still buy their music and listen/sing their songs? Or would I be upset and hurt and want nothing to do with them and just pray for them instead? What these churches/elders are doing is mocking Jesus’ name and then selling music and making millions of dollars and claiming to be Christians just because they “sang” about Jesus yet their works show bad fruit that do not honour the Lord in any way. I am upset because I loved their music and also because I see them using the Lord’s name to make profit while not living a godly Christian lifestyle. (Matthew 7:22-23)

Now my question is this, thankfully my church does not sing any of their songs, but this bothers me so much that I always think what if they sing one of their songs this Sunday?! If my church does, should I say something? Just the thought of it really bothers me.
All churches have and do things that are not Biblical. Nor will they listen to you if you point it out. Nor do they believe they are doing anything unbiblical. That being the case, and it is, and it certainly includes you and your church. May I suggest that you are drawing a line in the sand in the wrong place and not allowing God Time and space to judge when he deems it appropriate.

Reactions: Deadworm
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So I love worship music.

This doesn't sound good. How about loving God through worship music? Wouldn't that be better than loving the music itself?

I came across some of their church practices and they looked totally demonic to me, nothing to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I agree. I think they are very flesh-centered and perhaps even demonic.

I know they have some of the best Christian songs, but I want to honour God and not my flesh.

I don't know about that...There was plenty of awesome worship music long before Hillsong existed. Ever heard of Keith Green? Or Steve Green? Or Steven Curtis Chapman? Or Petra? Great worship music from all of them! Audrey Assad is really excellent, too! There are plenty of God-honoring musicians out there to fill the void left by your decision to be rid of Hillsong.

As others have suggested, go and make your concerns known to your pastor. But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. If Hitler said, "Jesus is God in the flesh," would it be any less true because Hitler had said it? No. Even Hillsong can speak the truth despite their love of money and the flesh. You can love that truth even if it is Hillsong who shares it.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, I’m a born again Christian, (Baptist) and I only listen to Christian music. So I love worship music. I used to love listening to Hillsong, Jesus Culture and Bethel music. For the past year, I know deep down in my spirit, God doesn’t want me to listen to their music anymore. I came across some of their church practices and they looked totally demonic to me, nothing to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I felt extremely convicted and decided that I will no longer buy their music or listen to their songs. (Just my personal conviction.) I know they have some of the best Christian songs, but I want to honour God and not my flesh.
The best Christian songs honor God. If they have some of the best Christian songs, I therefore don't know why you have a problem with listening to those songs, because that would contradict what you said here:
The way I look at it is this, if an amazing band, mocked my own parents, and didn’t honour my parents in any way, would I still buy their music and listen/sing their songs? Or would I be upset and hurt and want nothing to do with them and just pray for them instead? What these churches/elders are doing is mocking Jesus’ name and then selling music and making millions of dollars and claiming to be Christians just because they “sang” about Jesus yet their works show bad fruit that do not honour the Lord in any way. I am upset because I loved their music and also because I see them using the Lord’s name to make profit while not living a godly Christian lifestyle. (Matthew 7:22-23)
Now, the way I look at music, I'm not as strict as you are. I was never really into the CCM genre of music to begin with. I'll sing it at church, but I won't listen to the Christian radio station, I have tried to like it plenty of times, and it just does not appeal to me. The way I look at it though, is does the song itself honor God? Every single prophet and apostle that God inspired to write the Bible sinned. The writers of Christian hymns have all sinned. Every pastor who has preached a message has sinned. My concern therefore, isn't so much with the sin record of the person who writes the Christian song, but rather does the Christian song honor God with the lyrics of the song? Put another way, can I sing it in worship without lying? If the answer is yes, then I have no problem with using that particular song in my own walk with the Lord. Even if the songwriter goes to a church that I wouldn't care to attend.
If you say anything, take it up with the worship leader discreetly - mention it after the service just between the two of you, or schedule a meeting with him. Remember Daniel 2:14-15, and Hebrews 13:17 when you approach any sort of church leader with a concern like this. It helps to consider other points of view on the matter as well, before you make a complaint.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lukapyon03

Dec 27, 2017
California
✟8,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Continue to let the holy spirit convict you and guide you to the truth. A couple of weeks ago I was listening to this Bethel Church song, which I liked quite a bit and was about to actually purchase the song and add it to my iPod when something in my spirit told me not to go through with it. I listened and decided to take a look into Bethel Church's doctrine and practices and what I found was shocking. Here's links to the video I saw on Bethel and a good documentary showing how these new age practices are spreading in churches all over:

Bethel Redding Exposed

Shocking Documentary - by Andrew Storm

We are living in deceptive times and we should keep those who have fallen into such deception, in our prayers. They need the truth to set them free.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been involved in the Pentecostal church since I was born. And I have never once heard a false doctrine, nor encountered a demon manifesting. We believe that Jesus is God in the flesh, that he alone atones for our sins, that we are saved by grace. Yet one who is saved by grace will depart from iniquity.

I don't go around beating up the Baptist church, nor any of my other brothers and sisters in Christ. But it does get me a little angry when I hear conservative people accusing the Pentecostal churches of operating out of a demonic spirit.

As a previous poster suggested read our beliefs, we believe exactly the same as you. But if you want me to spew out the built up anger at you I will. We often believe more fully in God's power than you conservatives. You often restrict God to a book, but don't act out all his commands. I have seen Muslims receive physical strength, to weak bodies, so that they question their own faith, after faith filled prayer in Jesus name. I have seen drunk aboriginals, and sober turn to Christ, after falling down under His power. To come up believing the same gospel you teach.

As for your example of a guy dancing around in underware, that is not of God, but I bet the poor people in the church did not know what to do so just kept on praising God in the midst of it. We as a church value purity, and you would never catch me in my undies on the stage, we reverence God and his pure spirit.

As for saying Hillsong is demonic, believe what you will, but I love their music, it reminds me of God every time I hear it.

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think if you have a strong conviction to stop listening to Hillsong, that's fine, for you do it to the honour of God. By the same token, those who do listen to Hillsong as part of their worship, that's also fine, because they too do it to the honour of God.

See Romans 14

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

coffeeandprayer

Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
✟49,837.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is not about beating on a church domination. Did I come on here and discuss "all Pentecostal churches", I don't even know what you're talking about to be honest. And you say, "As for your example of a guy dancing around in underware, that is not of God, but I bet the poor people in the church did not know what to do so just kept on praising God in the midst of it." This is just none sense, I'm sorry. I wouldn't call them "poor people" when they willfully stayed and watched that mockery so called a church event going on there. Instead I would quote Charles H. Spurgeon and say "A time will come when instead of shepherds feeding the sheep, the church will have clowns entertaining the goats."

Jesus wouldn't continue "worshipping" with them and He would have rebuked them, what most "true" Christians could have done and maybe some did do that... is walk out, just walk out and KNOW that if a "so called CHURCH" approves and puts together such a show, that IT IS NOT FROM GOD, BUT FROM THE DEVIL HIMSELF. Let us not deceive ourselves just because "we want to please our flesh and listen to their music, simply because we like it." But let us honour God by HATING WHAT GOD HATES AND LOVING WHAT GOD LOVES...

I have been involved in the Pentecostal church since I was born. And I have never once heard a false doctrine, nor encountered a demon manifesting. We believe that Jesus is God in the flesh, that he alone atones for our sins, that we are saved by grace. Yet one who is saved by grace will depart from iniquity.

I don't go around beating up the Baptist church, nor any of my other brothers and sisters in Christ. But it does get me a little angry when I hear conservative people accusing the Pentecostal churches of operating out of a demonic spirit.

As a previous poster suggested read our beliefs, we believe exactly the same as you. But if you want me to spew out the built up anger at you I will. We often believe more fully in God's power than you conservatives. You often restrict God to a book, but don't act out all his commands. I have seen Muslims receive physical strength, to weak bodies, so that they question their own faith, after faith filled prayer in Jesus name. I have seen drunk aboriginals, and sober turn to Christ, after falling down under His power. To come up believing the same gospel you teach.

As for your example of a guy dancing around in underware, that is not of God, but I bet the poor people in the church did not know what to do so just kept on praising God in the midst of it. We as a church value purity, and you would never catch me in my undies on the stage, we reverence God and his pure spirit.

As for saying Hillsong is demonic, believe what you will, but I love their music, it reminds me of God every time I hear it.

• Agree
Reactions: lukapyon03
Upvote 0

coffeeandprayer

Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
✟49,837.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think if you have a strong conviction to stop listening to Hillsong, that's fine, for you do it to the honour of God. By the same token, those who do listen to Hillsong as part of their worship, that's also fine, because they too do it to the honour of God.

See Romans 14
Absolutely, I only come on here to speak about myself and my beliefs... I am not on here to tell others what to do! Blessings to you.

Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been involved in the Pentecostal church since I was born. And I have never once heard a false doctrine, nor encountered a demon manifesting

Really, never once. So you get tithing messages and messages on sowing seeds of money? Ever seen someone fall on the floor shaking and laughing uncontrollably?

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sis.. Jesus is real. What ever it be.. GIFTS or this or anything. Pray.. seek Him. Ask Him about them and all things. If we go with a OPEN heart to Him. Willing to change..willing to HEAR what HE says is true. He will tell you and will back it up with HIS word. But.. if we go knowing what we believe is the REAL truth and just seek Him to confirm what we feel. He won't answer.

For me if Yeshua came in the flesh died on the cross for the worlds sins. Was buried. Rose the 3rd day. Is the only way to the Father. They are family. Now I know some won't talk about some things as in GAY they don't want to offend. True is its like being dubbed minded. They wont take a stand. That and for me EVERYTHING else has no power of the BLOOD of GOD that died for all sins.

So pray.. ask Him to give you peace if they are of Him. We do want what HE wants.. and though we may not see what He does.. we do it by faith and His our dad

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Really, never once. So you get tithing messages and messages on sowing seeds of money? Ever seen someone fall on the floor shaking and laughing uncontrollably?

I have not heard seed for money in any Pentecostal church I have ever been in. I have heard some TV preachers get close to saying that, but I don't respect that kind of speech.

As for manifestations, who am I to judge. Do you or I really know what is going on. Even when Jesus prayed people fell to the ground. Some times because they had a demon. Some times just through the sheer glory of God's presence.

Mar 9:19-20 He answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him unto me. And they brought him unto him: and when he saw him, straightway the spirit tare him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming.

1Kings 8:11 So that the priests could not stand to minister because of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of the LORD.

Joh 18:6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.

My conclusion on the matter of manifestations, is that there are manifestations of God, through the sheer weight of His glory. As seen in past healing revivals of 100's of years ago. Healing was often accompanied by a falling down under God's power. Yet there is also the fake manifestation of demons. And this is how I see it, where will the devil be most active? In a church that does him no threat, or one that challenges his kingdom? The latter is the case. When there is a work of God's spirit there is also a working of evil manifestation. The devil wants to put out the genuine fire.

Upvote 0