Toronto
✟49,837.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I’m a born again Christian, (Baptist) and I only listen to Christian music. So I love worship music. I used to love listening to Hillsong, Jesus Culture and Bethel music. For the past year, I know deep down in my spirit, God doesn’t want me to listen to their music anymore. I came across some of their church practices and they looked totally demonic to me, nothing to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I felt extremely convicted and decided that I will no longer buy their music or listen to their songs. (Just my personal conviction.) I know they have some of the best Christian songs, but I want to honour God and not my flesh. I don’t agree with what goes on in their churches. Many things are not biblical and their pastors don’t speak the truth when they they are in public like pastor Carl Lentz, when asked about gays in the church and if abortion is sinful or not. He never has biblical answers, although the Bible is very clear. He’s scared not to offend men, and would rather offend God. The way I look at it is this, if an amazing band, mocked my own parents, and didn’t honour my parents in any way, would I still buy their music and listen/sing their songs? Or would I be upset and hurt and want nothing to do with them and just pray for them instead? What these churches/elders are doing is mocking Jesus’ name and then selling music and making millions of dollars and claiming to be Christians just because they “sang” about Jesus yet their works show bad fruit that do not honour the Lord in any way. I am upset because I loved their music and also because I see them using the Lord’s name to make profit while not living a godly Christian lifestyle. (Matthew 7:22-23)

Now my question is this, thankfully my church does not sing any of their songs, but this bothers me so much that I always think what if they sing one of their songs this Sunday?! If my church does, should I say something? Just the thought of it really bothers me.

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I’m a born again Christian, (Baptist) and I only listen to Christian music. So I love worship music. I used to love listening to Hillsong, Jesus Culture and Bethel music. For the past year, I know deep down in my spirit, God doesn’t want me to listen to their music anymore. I came across some of their church practices and they looked totally demonic to me, nothing to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I felt extremely convicted and decided that I will no longer buy their music or listen to their songs. (Just my personal conviction.) I know they have some of the best Christian songs, but I want to honour God and not my flesh. I don’t agree with what goes on in their churches. Many things are not biblical and their pastors don’t speak the truth when they they are in public like pastor Carl Lentz, when asked about gays in the church and if abortion is sinful or not. He never has biblical answers, although the Bible is very clear. He’s scared not to offend men, and would rather offend God. The way I look at it is this, if an amazing band, mocked my own parents, and didn’t honour my parents in any way, would I still buy their music and listen/sing their songs? Or would I be upset and hurt and want nothing to do with them and just pray for them instead? What these churches/elders are doing is mocking Jesus’ name and then selling music and making millions of dollars and claiming to be Christians just because they “sang” about Jesus yet their works show bad fruit that do not honour the Lord in any way. I am upset because I loved their music and also because I see them using the Lord’s name to make profit while not living a godly Christian lifestyle. (Matthew 7:22-23)

Now my question is this, thankfully my church does not sing any of their songs, but this bothers me so much that I always think what if they sing one of their songs this Sunday?! If my church does, should I say something? Just the thought of it really bothers me.

I believe in the seven churches as ages...

Ephesus - Messianic - Beginning with the Apostle to the Circumcision, Peter
Smyrna - Martyr - Beginning with the Apostle to the Un-Circumcision, Paul
Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Beginning with DL Moody, the first to make money off of ministry

Each church congregation has their own unique styles, assets, issues, and methods. Some of these congregations are so far apart that they actually dislike one another.

The contemporary music comes out of the Laodicean age/congregation. There is such a demand for contemporary methods that some churches have adopted two services, a traditional and a contemporary one. Look at the sign below for example....
Christmas-Services-2017-Rotator-Size.jpg

This church has many services to accommodate the variety of likes. Personally, I do not think all contemporary music is bad. But when it turns into hard rock I normally will walk away.

With the changes of the times requires us to pray. If the Lord has led you in such and such a ministry by all means go for it. If you feel troubled in such areas I would avoid it. I would also consider your audience. Contemporary methods will work better with the younger crowd. If your congregation is a traditional one I would not want to introduce contemporary things.

In all these things it is important to consult your pastor and ask him for guidance in such matters.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You should speak to the worship or music minister (who ever picks the songs) and discuss your concerns with him/her.

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have seen videos of some of the hillsong celebrations/revivals. When there is a guy in his underwear wearing a cowboy hat on stage, and everyone just dances and sings along??? Is this progressive Christianity? The direction of progress of this all inclusive, anything goes, Jesus loves everyone movement is closer to the lake of fire.
I have seen Christian rock bands that do stay biblical and spread the gospel and witness to people.
I say, let the Holy Spirit be your guide on what music to listen to.

Upvote 0

coffeeandprayer

Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
✟49,837.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
BTW - do you like the music of people like Paul Wilbur, Barry and Batya Segal, Johnathon Settell or Joel Chernoff?

Hello! Thanks for your reply. I haven't heard of them to be honest. I listen to Chris Tomlin a lot, Kari Jobe, Rend Collective, Audrey Assad, and some other worship singers.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello! Thanks for your reply. I haven't heard of them to be honest. I listen to Chris Tomlin a lot, Kari Jobe, Rend Collective, Audrey Assad, and some other worship singers.
they are in the Messianic movement. Chernoff pretty much invented the Messianic style of contemporary worship music back in the early 1970s.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My dad is Lutheran who tries to introduce charismatic things to his congregation against the wishes of his pastor. He thinks if he can get the Lutheran congregation shouting that he will have accomplished something great in life. I have tried over and over again to convince him not to do these things yet he persists. If he is ever asked to leave I will tell him that he had it coming.

You simply must be aware of the congregation you are ministering to. I would not want to try introducing charismatic things to a traditional congregation without a meeting with the pastor and worship leader.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If he is ever asked to leave I will tell him that he had it coming.
Indeed. There is such a thing as respecting the God given congregational leadership.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coffeeandprayer

Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
✟49,837.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I thank God that my Baptist church does NOT sing any songs from Hillsong, Bethel music or Jesus culture... I am trying to say that even the thought of them singing any of their songs in the future brings me anxiety... I hate anything that is contrary to God's word and these churches do not honour God with their church practices... I would never introduce any charismatic things to my church. I don't even think that these are real churches.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm glad you can see their evil. I noticed in my own church that when they sing these songs that it's always 4 songs together. One song is God is great and you feel happy, the next one is your a sinner and you feel bad, the next is God loves you so you feel loved and the next god is the boss so we feel helpless. In the space of 15 mins, I have expieriances 4 different emotions. I believe it's this mind controlling bullwhip that gives the pastors the power of suggestion, aka alter calls, crying out to God, slaying in the spirit, talking jibberish but believing it's tongues etc etc.
Not only that, but as you stated, these worship groups use demonic symbols in their lighting.
You see you can't fool the conscience mind but the sub conscious picks up on these without you knowing.

When I told my church member that bethel and hillsong etc are false teaching pastors and their music isn't true worship, I was told by a Christian deep in her faith not to say it to the other girls in case I offend them. What faith is she so deep in I asked myself?
I think the baptist church is great for stuff like that because they have their own hymn book and it praises god just like He asked, write and sing new hymns to Him.
What Hillsong and the rest do is nothing different than the music awards. Same costumes, symbols and lighting. They slap a Jesus tag on their shows to reap millions from people. Not only that, the flock who follow them are deceived and are in danger of judgment. Come out from them my people!

Whilst listening to worship music isn't bad in and of itself, you have to ask, if the guys who make this music are false Christians, then what spirit is exactly behind their music? It's clear to me as day that it's the same spirit that's part of the illuminati ridden music industry today. You wouldn't by or listen to that krap, so should you continue to listen to bethel and hillsong?

People you need to remember that Satan will not come into church dressed like a demon. He masquerades as an angel of light. He is the angel of music with all his harps and and inner music symbols and pipes. He makes it obvious to Christians that he is behind the music industry but is not going to make it obvious in church. And if you say things like, hillsong and bethel use the name of Jesus!, well when Jesus was tempted by Satan in the wilderness, Satan quoted scripture. DO NOT BE FOOLED BY HILLSONG AND THE LIKES BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT OF GOD.

• Winner
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad you can see their evil. I noticed in my own church that when they sing these songs that it's always 4 songs together. One song is God is great and you feel happy, the next one is your a sinner and you feel bad, the next is God loves you so you feel loved and the next god is the boss so we feel helpless. In the space of 15 mins, I have expieriances 4 different emotions. I believe it's this mind controlling bullwhip that gives the pastors the power of suggestion, aka alter calls, crying out to God, slaying in the spirit, talking jibberish but believing it's tongues etc etc.
Not only that, but as you stated, these worship groups use demonic symbols in their lighting.
You see you can't fool the conscience mind but the sub conscious picks up on these without you knowing.

When I told my church member that bethel and hillsong etc are false teaching pastors and their music isn't true worship, I was told by a Christian deep in her faith not to say it to the other girls in case I offend them. What faith is she so deep in I asked myself?
I think the baptist church is great for stuff like that because they have their own hymn book and it praises god just like He asked, write and sing new hymns to Him.
What Hillsong and the rest do is nothing different than the music awards. Same costumes, symbols and lighting. They slap a Jesus tag on their shows to reap millions from people. Not only that, the flock who follow them are deceived and are in danger of judgment. Come out from them my people!

Whilst listening to worship music isn't bad in and of itself, you have to ask, if the guys who make this music are false Christians, then what spirit is exactly behind their music? It's clear to me as day that it's the same spirit that's part of the illuminati ridden music industry today. You wouldn't by or listen to that krap, so should you continue to listen to bethel and hillsong?

People you need to remember that Satan will not come into church dressed like a demon. He masquerades as an angel of light. He is the angel of music with all his harps and and inner music symbols and pipes. He makes it obvious to Christians that he is behind the music industry but is not going to make it obvious in church. And if you say things like, hillsong and bethel use the name of Jesus!, well when Jesus was tempted by Satan in the wilderness, Satan quoted scripture. DO NOT BE FOOLED BY HILLSONG AND THE LIKES BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT OF GOD.

Good post sister and keep having a vigilant mind
God Bless, Jonathan

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thank God that my Baptist church does NOT sing any songs from Hillsong, Bethel music or Jesus culture... I am trying to say that even the thought of them singing any of their songs in the future brings me anxiety... I hate anything that is contrary to God's word and these churches do not honour God with their church practices... I would never introduce any charismatic things to my church. I don't even think that these are real churches.

Be careful about judging others who worship with different styles from yours. The Pentecostals are vastly different from Baptists, but both proclaim the gospel. I've copied a statement of faith from a Pentacostal church below. You'll find a couple of differences I'm sure from your church, but the essentials are not.

FWIW, I'm evangelical, not charismatic.

Pentacostal statement of faith

There is only one true God who is the eternal King, Creator and Redeemer of all that is. He is perfectly holy, just, loving and truthful. He has revealed Himself to be eternally self-existent–one being in three persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
The Bible to be the inspired and only infallible and authoritative Word of God.

Humankind was created in the image of God to know and enjoy Him yet we willfully rejected the Lordship and glory of God for which we were intended. Because of this, sickness, death and judgment entered the world and now creation experiences the effects and consequences of sin.

The Lord Jesus Christ, the one and only Son of God, was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin, Mary, and is God's Anointed One, empowered by the Holy Spirit to inaugurate God's kingdom on earth. He was crucified for our sins, died, was buried, resurrected and ascended into heaven, and is now alive today in the presence of God the Father and in His people. He is "true God" and "true man."

We are saved by God's grace, through faith in the person and work of Jesus Christ. Anyone can be restored to fellowship with God through repenting, believing and receiving Jesus as their Savior and Lord. The Holy Spirit, convicts, regenerates, justifies, and adopts us as we enter the kingdom of God as His sons and daughters.

In the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live holy and minister supernaturally. The baptism of the Holy Spirit according to Acts 1:4-8 and 2:4 is poured out on believers that they might have power to be witnesses.

The victorious redemptive work of Christ on the cross provides freedom from the power of the enemy–sin, lies, sickness and torment.

The Church consists of all who put their faith in Jesus Christ. He gave His church the ordinances of baptism and communion. The Church exists to carry on the ministry of Jesus Christ and further advance His kingdom by undoing the works of the enemy, preaching and living the good news of God's love, and discipling the nations–baptizing and teaching them to love and obey God.

In the ever-increasing government of God and in the Blessed Hope, which is the glorious visible return of our Lord Jesus Christ for His overcoming bride–His church. Heaven and hell are real places. There will be a resurrection of the saved and the lost, the one to everlasting life and the other to everlasting death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have seen videos of some of the hillsong celebrations/revivals. When there is a guy in his underwear wearing a cowboy hat on stage, and everyone just dances and sings along??? Is this progressive Christianity? The direction of progress of this all inclusive, anything goes, Jesus loves everyone movement is closer to the lake of fire.
Sadly, preaching the Gospel isn't too popular in some circles. The itching ears would rather hear "I'm okay, you're okay, we're all okay" while they drop their checks in the offering basket.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,087.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

I don't know of the other groups, but I do not listen to Hillsong. I have heard scary and concerning things about them, too. I saw one of their albums and it had a cover that looked like it had the "all seeing eye", a pagan symbol, on it, if you looked closely.

Listen to the Holy Spirit. No matter how beautiful Hillsong's songs may be - and indeed they are beautiful - evil can leak out of evil sources, and it happens all the time. The Church, and Christian music, have definitely got some big time wolves in sheep's clothing in them. Christian music is a big money maker, so of course the wolves aren't going to leave it alone.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,087.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
BTW - do you like the music of people like Paul Wilbur, Barry and Batya Segal, Johnathon Settell or Joel Chernoff?
Don't know about the others but I LOVE Paul Wilbur and have never seen anything concerning in his music, except for one "little" thing. He sometimes uses the name Adonai for the Almighty. Nowhere in the Bible do we see that name. It is a Jewish tradition only. Moses was given the true Name at the burning bushing. It is used thousands of times in the Bible, New and Old Testaments. The ancient Hebrew scholars spelled it without the vowels - since they didn't use vowels - as YHWH.

I believe it is pronounced Yahuah, as do many, since the real Name of the Savior is Yahushuah, sometimes shortened to Yeshua, and that means "Yahuah saves." But, I still will listen to Wilbur as he is not trying to present a false gospel.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,087.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Indeed. There is such a thing as respecting the God given congregational leadership.
How do you know it is "God given", especially if it doesn't practice what the Bible preaches? Nothing in the Bible says to "respect given congressional leadership." In fact, Paul told people not to say they were his followers, but to follow the Messiah.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexDTX
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,087.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Be careful about judging others who worship with different styles from yours. The Pentecostals are vastly different from Baptists, but both proclaim the gospel. I've copied a statement of faith from a Pentacostal church below. You'll find a couple of differences I'm sure from your church, but the essentials are not.

FWIW, I'm evangelical, not charismatic.

If your comments relate to Hillsong at all, are you saying that dancing around onstage in a cowboy hat, in your underwear, is just another style of worship, no big deal, perfectly okay with the Almighty, a great way to get His message across?

Upvote 0