Limited atonement?

Unreformedbythetruth

Oct 7, 2005
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
Jesus came into His own and His own accepted Him not.

His own sheep rejected Him So He rejected them

Just as Jesus said if you reject me I will reject you.

Matthew 10:33
"But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

They rejected Jesus, so rejected them and accepted those who was not His own as His sheep.

28 Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

They were simple asking what was the work that we must do to do the work of God and Jesus told them what the work of God is that they shall do believe in the one He has sent.

Is to believe in the one He sent.

It was the work that came from God that they must do.

Believing in Jesus is to believe in the work He did.

It was the work of the cross that saved us.

The wages of our sin is death.

We cannot pay that debt, so we are saved by the grace of God on the cross.

Believing is not the work for our salvation, but death. Since we are sinners. Believing is what is asked of us to walk into the grace of God.

The day man pay their own debt and live is the day man can say they paid there debt.

We have a better hope appart from the law, in which we draw near to God.

It was the sacrifice of the lamb that saved, but they still had to bring there best to the altar.

The only thing that God has given without blemish is Jesus and we must bring Him to the altar, but it is Jesus that saved.

God did never say that they can't bring the lamb to the altar because that means they worked for there salvation, but it was the work of the death of the lamb that saved them.

They were saved by grace to even with bringing the lamb to the altar, because they didn't have to pay their debt.

Believing is a responsibility of man just like bring the lamb to the altar, but it is Jesus that saves

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unreformedbythetruth said:
Jesus came into His own and His own accepted Him not.

His own sheep rejected Him So He rejected them

Just as Jesus said if you reject me I will reject you.

Matthew 10:33
"But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

They rejected Jesus, so rejected them and accepted those who was not His own as His sheep.

28 Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

They were simple asking what was the work that we must do to do the work of God and Jesus told them what the work of God is that they shall do believe in the one He has sent.

Is to believe in the one He sent.

It was the work that came from God that they must do.

Believing in Jesus is to believe in the work He did.

It was the work of the cross that saved us.

The wages of our sin is death.

We cannot pay that debt, so we are saved by the grace of God on the cross.

Believing is not the work for our salvation, but death. Since we are sinners. Believing is what is asked of us to walk into the grace of God.

The day man pay their own debt and live is the day man can say they paid there debt.

We have a better hope appart from the law, in which we draw near to God.

It was the sacrifice of the lamb that saved, but they still had to bring there best to the altar.

The only thing that God has given without blemish is Jesus and we must bring Him to the altar, but it is Jesus that saved.

God did never say that they can't bring the lamb to the altar because that means they worked for there salvation, but it was the work of the death of the lamb that saved them.

They were saved by grace to even with bringing the lamb to the altar, because they didn't have to pay their debt.

Believing is a responsibility of man just like bring the lamb to the altar, but it is Jesus that saves

Good Day, Unreformed

Some one got a match, much straw here ^_^ :p ^_^

And the OP is still using really bad translation:

Peace to u,

Bill

Upvote 0

Unreformedbythetruth

Oct 7, 2005
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
The major theme found throughout the scripture is that believers are predestined to be saved, not to believe.

Even the very elect of God was cut out from unbelief.

The only way they can be grafted in is not to continue in their unbelief.

So don't be aragont, but be afraid. If God did not spare the natural branches He will not spare us either.

Those who endure to the end will be saved

Upvote 0

Jon_

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
California
✟18,616.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Unreformedbythetruth said:
The major theme found throughout the scripture is that believers are predestined to be saved, not to believe.
Perhaps you should read what you wrote here again. ;)

Believers are predestined to be saved and not to believe? Can we be saved without belief? Is belief a consequence of salvation or causal to salvation? Can God predestine someone to be saved that is not a believer?

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon

Upvote 0

Augustine_Was_Calvinist

Mar 16, 2004
✟6,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Jon_ said:
Perhaps you should read what you wrote here again. ;)

Believers are predestined to be saved and not to believe? Can we be saved without belief? Is belief a consequence of salvation or causal to salvation? Can God predestine someone to be saved that is not a believer?

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon

How someone can come to that conclusion is beyond me.:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Upvote 0

GLJCA

Jan 2, 2005
Louisiana
✟1,608.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Eph 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

The word quickened means to "make alive". We, being dead in sins, had to be made alive to even "believe", therefore if we were predestined to be saved, we were predestined to believe also. It is so deceiving to believe that a free will can choose freely. A free will can not choose contrary to it's nature, therefore the sinful nature, which is dead in sin, controls the so-called free will. Only God quickening the sinner(Eph 2) and opening their understanding (Luke 24:45)will allow the sinner to understand and believe. God requires us to believe just like He requires us to love, be holy, etc.,which are all impossible apart from God's work in our lives. Nothing in us is good, therefore how can we think that someone who is deceitful and above all things desperately wicked could possibly choose that which is good (Christ)? Anyone who believes that we can, by our free will, choose Christ thinks more of themselves than God does.

Oh by the way, my last post was right before Hurricane Rita and I said that I felt that it was going to miss the gulf coast of Lousiana where I live but, boy was I wrong. My wife and I stayed in our home 30 miles from Holly Beach, LA. The storm hit with a vengence. Holly Beach was completely destroyed with not one home left standing. Someone recorded 171mph wind gust 5 miles from my house. Thank God we have a refuge in the storm. I prayed for God to forgive our foolishness and protect us from Rita and in His goodness and grace He did. Thanks be to God.

The next storm that comes no one will have to tell me to evacuate.

GLJCA

Upvote 0

Augustine_Was_Calvinist

Mar 16, 2004
✟6,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
GLJCA said:
Eph 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

The word quickened means to "make alive". We, being dead in sins, had to be made alive to even "believe", therefore if we were predestined to be saved, we were predestined to believe also. It is so deceiving to believe that a free will can choose freely. A free will can not choose contrary to it's nature, therefore the sinful nature, which is dead in sin, controls the so-called free will. Only God quickening the sinner(Eph 2) and opening their understanding (Luke 24:45)will allow the sinner to understand and believe. God requires us to believe just like He requires us to love, be holy, etc.,which are all impossible apart from God's work in our lives. Nothing in us is good, therefore how can we think that someone who is deceitful and above all things desperately wicked could possibly choose that which is good (Christ)? Anyone who believes that we can, by our free will, choose Christ thinks more of themselves than God does.

Oh by the way, my last post was right before Hurricane Rita and I said that I felt that it was going to miss the gulf coast of Lousiana where I live but, boy was I wrong. My wife and I stayed in our home 30 miles from Holly Beach, LA. The storm hit with a vengence. Holly Beach was completely destroyed with not one home left standing. Someone recorded 171mph wind gust 5 miles from my house. Thank God we have a refuge in the storm. I prayed for God to forgive our foolishness and protect us from Rita and in His goodness and grace He did. Thanks be to God.

The next storm that comes no one will have to tell me to evacuate.

GLJCA

Excellent post.

Welcome back:thumbsup: :wave:

Thanks be to God:amen:

Upvote 0

GLJCA

Jan 2, 2005
Louisiana
✟1,608.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Godzchild said:
No we haven't. We become God's people by the spirit of adoption into Christ. ONly in Christ are we God's chosen people. We are spiritual Israel through the circumscision of the Holy Spirit. And because we have been engrafted into Israel...then we become the 'chosen' because Israel are chosen.

Hi Godzchild,

Very good!! I like your statement that we are God's people by the spirit of adoption into Christ. I would like to address the sentence that we are spiritual Israel through the circumcision of the Holy Spirit, though.

The spiritual Israel is a term that I don't agree with. We are the Israel of God because we were grafted into Covenant Israel. Just as Rahab was grafted into Covenant Israel by faith we also were grafted in. The Dispensational error of calling the church, spiritual Israel, is that they can hold on to the Jews as God's "earthly" chosen people and the Church as God's "spiritual" chosen people. God has only "one chosen people", which are all contained in the olive tree (Covenant Israel). (Romans 11)

Also I would like to address the second part of that sentence, in the OT God required the physical sign of circumcision(Gen 17:10-11) as a sign of covenant membership, but at the same time upbraided those who were not circumcised in their heart. He did not negate the physical and center on the spiritual but required both. Now physical circumcision as a sign of covenant membership was done away with in Christ because it was a ritual that required the shedding of blood, just as Passover also was done away with because it required the shedding of blood from a spotless lamb. Once Christ's blood was shed on the cross those two rites were changed forever.

In my opinion, God still requires a sign of covenant membership in the NT but it is baptism, which is the circumcision of Christ (Col 2:11-12). Circumcision means nothing (1Cor 7:19) to a New Covenant believer today because spiritual circumcision is now Spirit baptism, which takes place at water baptism. Just as Passover changed to an offering of bread and wine for the body and blood, circumcision, IMHO, was changed to baptism.

In Romans 2 Paul was dealing with the Jews concerning circumcision because they were relying on it as security of being God's people. He was showing them that they could have the outward sign and be considered one of God's people by everyone around them but it took the outward with the inward to be considered one of God's people by God himself. Therefore I believe that in the NT God's sign of covenant membership is baptism and the inward baptism is the one of the Spirit when He baptizes the person into the body of Christ(1Cor 12:13), which I believe happens at water baptism.

GLJCA

Upvote 0