✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  1. It was not from creation.
  2. It was for the Jews only.
  3. It was abolished.
  4. The early Christians did not keep the Sabbath.
  5. That Paul said it was not necessary to keep the Sabbath.
  6. That Revelation 1:10 is not about the Sabbath.
  7. The Sabbath can be any day.
  8. That Heb 4 is not about the 7th day Sabbath.
Eze. 22:

25 There is a conspiracy of her prophets in the midst thereof, like a roaring lion ravening the prey; they have devoured souls; they have taken the treasure and precious things; they have made her many widows in the midst thereof.
26 Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.

Elder 111

Mar 12, 2010
where there is summer all year and sea all around
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First Lie: not from creation.
The Sabbath is mentioned in the commandments and stated in Ex 20:8-11.
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
Clearly the contexts refers to Genesis 2:2-3.

And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
Heb. 4 also speaks of the same.

9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Do you believe?

Upvote 0

Elder 111

Mar 12, 2010
where there is summer all year and sea all around
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus stated clearly that the Sabbath was made for man. Are the Jews men and not us? Mark 2:And he said unto them, sThe sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: 28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.
As shown previously, the Sabbath was from creation, there were no Jews then.

Upvote 0

LarryP2

Mar 13, 2014
✟1,841.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Jesus stated clearly that the Sabbath was made for man. Are the Jews men and not us? Mark 2:And he said unto them, sThe sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: 28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

I have debunked the deceitful, slanderous and trashy smears that form the basis of this thread at:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7819291/

When Seventh Day Adventism's repeat the trashy and utterly dishonest smear that without the Ten Commandments Christians would believe it is "Ok to lie steal and kill," they arejust mindlessly parroting a massive deliberate hoax of Ellen G. White's. As I point out in the above thread, it is based on a deliberate decision of White's not to mention the Noahide laws that were given to Noah in the aftermath of the flood.

It turns out that Ellen White is the only one that believes it "is OK to lie and steal." She didn't just believe it, she LIVED it! Christians under the Grace of Jesus Christ and St. Paul's abolition of the entire Mosaic law have never believed that it was okay to do those things. For Adventists to insinuate that they do is an ugly, dishonest smear. That this blatantly anti-Christian smear campaign is permitted on a Christian website is just beyond belief.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟88,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is so wrong with a day of rest though? How can it be bad?
I know many people that rest on Saturday and go worship on Sunday.

I also know many condemning people that shove Saturday down the next person throat too, but outside of them, how can any harm be done by taking a day of rest?

Upvote 0

LarryP2

Mar 13, 2014
✟1,841.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I also know many condemning people that shove Saturday down the next person throat too, but outside of them, how can any harm be done by taking a day of rest?

There is nothing "wrong with a day of rest." But that is precisely the OPPOSITE of what Adventists are peddling with their deceitful Sabbath trash. Many Adventists will tell you that Sabbath for them is so nerve-wracking and busy, they have to actually rest up for the work week on Sunday!

Secondly, perfect Sabbath Keeping for Adventists is an anti-Christian and heretical plan of Salvation by Works. It is the exact opposite of the Gospel! They earn their way to heaven that way. That is why the Founding Fathers of Christianity unanimously condemned Sabbath Keeping as a satanic anti-Christian heresy.

Third, Adventists love to preen and gloat over their supposed moral superiority over mere Christians, in that supposedly the Adventists are the only ones keeping the Ten Commandments. That is an utterly preposterous and deceitful fraud. Paul denounces the exactly same sinful behaviors the Commandments do (and then some) without ensnaring Christians into the cultic snare of heretical Sabbath Keeping. The Founding Fathers of Christianity likewise denounce all manner of sinful wrongdoing, but NEVER add the Sabbath to their lists of do's and don'ts.

Whatever else Adventists may be doing, the one thing they do NOT advocate is a simply "day of rest."

Quite bluntly, for Seventh Day Adventism the Sabbath is FAR FAR more important than the Resurrection. The Resurrection is the central point of Christianity, with really no second place. Just look at Adventis's Sabbath trash posts: Sabbath posts outnumber Resurrection posts at an approximate 3 Trillion to one ratio.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
F

from scratch

1. It was not from creation.
  2. It was for the Jews only.
  3. It was abolished.
  4. The early Christians did not keep the Sabbath.
  5. That Paul said it was not necessary to keep the Sabbath.
  6. That Revelation 1:10 is not about the Sabbath.
  7. The Sabbath can be any day.
  8. That Heb 4 is not about the 7th day Sabbath.
Eze. 22:

25 There is a conspiracy of her prophets in the midst thereof, like a roaring lion ravening the prey; they have devoured souls; they have taken the treasure and precious things; they have made her many widows in the midst thereof.
26 Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.
Anytime you're interested in talking about the truth, I'd love to talk with you about the Sabbath and anything in the Bible. Your list even throws out Moses as a reliable witness.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

You misunderstand your proof text partly justified by you based on an unoriginal language version. You do use an English version.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

I have debunked the deceitful, slanderous and trashy smears that form the basis of this thread at:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7819291/

When Seventh Day Adventism's repeat the trashy and utterly dishonest smear that without the Ten Commandments Christians would believe it is "Ok to lie steal and kill," they arejust mindlessly parroting a massive deliberate hoax of Ellen G. White's. As I point out in the above thread, it is based on a deliberate decision of White's not to mention the Noahide laws that were given to Noah in the aftermath of the flood.

It turns out that Ellen White is the only one that believes it "is OK to lie and steal." She didn't just believe it, she LIVED it! Christians under the Grace of Jesus Christ and St. Paul's abolition of the entire Mosaic law have never believed that it was okay to do those things. For Adventists to insinuate that they do is an ugly, dishonest smear. That this blatantly anti-Christian smear campaign is permitted on a Christian website is just beyond belief.
Its about money not Christianity.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Who's griping against a day of rest? The discussion here at CF and other sites isn't about rest or even taking the day off. You know that very well. So stop with the cheap side issues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
F

from scratch

There is nothing "wrong with a day of rest." But that is precisely the OPPOSITE of what Adventists are peddling with their deceitful Sabbath trash. Many Adventists will tell you that Sabbath for them is so nerve-wracking and busy, they have to actually rest up for the work week on Sunday!

Secondly, perfect Sabbath Keeping for Adventists is an anti-Christian and heretical plan of Salvation by Works. It is the exact opposite of the Gospel! They earn their way to heaven that way. That is why the Founding Fathers of Christianity unanimously condemned Sabbath Keeping as a satanic anti-Christian heresy.

Third, Adventists love to preen and gloat over their supposed moral superiority over mere Christians, in that supposedly the Adventists are the only ones keeping the Ten Commandments. That is an utterly preposterous and deceitful fraud. Paul denounces the exactly same sinful behaviors the Commandments do (and then some) without ensnaring Christians into the cultic snare of heretical Sabbath Keeping. The Founding Fathers of Christianity likewise denounce all manner of sinful wrongdoing, but NEVER add the Sabbath to their lists of do's and don'ts.

Whatever else Adventists may be doing, the one thing they do NOT advocate is a simply "day of rest."

Quite bluntly, for Seventh Day Adventism the Sabbath is FAR FAR more important than the Resurrection. The Resurrection is the central point of Christianity, with really no second place. Just look at their posts: Sabbath spam posts outnumber Resurrection posts at approximately a 3 Trillion to one ratio.
The Sabbath is more important than Jesus to the SDA. Don't they greet each other with happy Sabbath? They even have hymns in their hymnal to the Sabbath. Do I need to quote them? The real fact is they worship the Sabbath violating a commandment they claim to uphold. Oh wait they only claim to uphold one of them. Notice I said claim.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
New Brunswick
✟16,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
When reading passages like Exodus 31:12-17 and Leviticus 24:8-9 it becomes hard for me to believe that the sabbath was not only meant for the Jews. Or, in another way, those passages seem to indicate that the observance of the 7th day was only between the Jews and God, and not for Gentiles, and not for Christians.

Exodus 31: 16-17.
16 Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.’”

These statements seem to indicate that when Moses gave these laws (and to say something on a misnomer, the 10 Commandments are special within the Torah, but not separate from it. The laws of the sabbath are found throughout the Torah, and not restricted to the 10 commandments, so there is a problem if you say the law is abolished but not the 10 commandments even though the same laws appear in these apparent different laws which they are not different, but the same).

Leviticus 24:8-9
Every Sabbath he shall set it in order before the Lord continually, being taken from the children of Israel by an everlasting covenant. 9 And it shall be for Aaron and his sons, and they shall eat it in a holy place; for it is most holy to him from the offerings of the Lord made by fire, by a perpetual statute.”

This passage is right in the middle of a Tabernacle teaching, and again seems to point to the fact that it is between the physical Jews and God.

It doesn't seem to be clear from the Old Testament that the sabbath is a universal law applied to all men, but it seems to be indicative of the covenant of Israel and God.

We shouldn't just say "the Old Testament says it, so it is applied to all Christians very strictly"

we should see what the NT teaches on it.

From Romans to Revelation the word "sabbath" appears once. The Reference to a 'Seventh Day' appears once, and the reference to 'the Lord's Day' or other words using the word 'day' appear in 4 more places for a total of 6 passages in connection to the Sabbath from Romans-Revelation. I'll just list them and make some comments on them

Just in Order, Romans 14:5-8
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord;[a] and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. 7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. 8 For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s.

There is 1 Corinthians 16:1-2
Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also: 2On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.

Galatians 4:8-11
8 But then, indeed, when you did not know God, you served those which by nature are not gods. 9 But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage? 10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain.

Colossians 2:11-17
11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins[c] of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

Hebrews 4 the entire chapter really, but specifically 8-9, 11, 14.
8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.11 Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.
14 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession.

and Revelation 1:10
10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet

Comments: Firstly, Paul seems clearly to suggest in Romans and Colossians that no one should judge another Christian based on whether they observe days or not. You can "not observe" the sabbath as a weekly thing and that is to the Lord. He doesn't place a great deal on the sabbath, or on feasts which also focus on the calendar. Also, in Colossians you notice that Christ took away the handwriting against us, which are the commandments, and nailed them to the cross, SO (it says) don't let someone judge you based off of these laws (v.16) because they are shadows to come (v.17) whose substance is Christ.

1 Corinthians talks about the collecting of money for Paul to take to Jerusalem, and he says to lay something aside on the first day of the week. This means that in Corinth and the province of Galatia, at least the Christians there met on the first day as well as any other days they may have met on.

Hebrews talks about the fact that if the rest Joshua gave Israel was the final one there wouldn't be need for another one, but since there is another rest (in Christ which the rest of the chapter seems to indicate) then we should focus on attain the final consumption of our Salvation. This goes back to the Old Testament (I didn't mention it up above, but the Sabbath in the OT when you read it in the Torah has connections to the land of Israel itself, so that can be what hebrews is talking about)

Revelation 1:10 is the only place where the Lord's Day is referenced to, so I suggest not to make up a meaning for it, but to look how it is used in the earliest non-canonical ways as context for what it might mean since Revelation is written within the same time frame as say 1 & 2 Clement, the Didache, the Epistle of Barnabas.

To end this part (I want to explore what Jesus said and what the formentioned early Church texts say) I will say that the only negative thing Paul says about the sabbath is that not to let people judge you on whether you obey it or not. That should be clear to everyone. He doesn't say anything positive about it explicitly, and says nothing about the necessity of obeying it. In fact, from Romans through Revelation there is no explicit "you must keep the sabbath" teaching. So, we can turn our attention to Mark-John, and some Early Church texts

Upvote 0

LarryP2

Mar 13, 2014
✟1,841.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When reading passages like Exodus 31:12-17 and Leviticus 24:8-9 it becomes hard for me to believe that the sabbath was not only meant for the Jews. Or, in another way, those passages seem to indicate that the observance of the 7th day was only between the Jews and God, and not for Gentiles, and not for Christians.

Exodus 31: 16-17.
16 Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.’”

These statements seem to indicate that when Moses gave these laws (and to say something on a misnomer, the 10 Commandments are special within the Torah, but not separate from it. The laws of the sabbath are found throughout the Torah, and not restricted to the 10 commandments, so there is a problem if you say the law is abolished but not the 10 commandments even though the same laws appear in these apparent different laws which they are not different, but the same).

Leviticus 24:8-9
Every Sabbath he shall set it in order before the Lord continually, being taken from the children of Israel by an everlasting covenant. 9 And it shall be for Aaron and his sons, and they shall eat it in a holy place; for it is most holy to him from the offerings of the Lord made by fire, by a perpetual statute.”

This passage is right in the middle of a Tabernacle teaching, and again seems to point to the fact that it is between the physical Jews and God.

It doesn't seem to be clear from the Old Testament that the sabbath is a universal law applied to all men, but it seems to be indicative of the covenant of Israel and God.

We shouldn't just say "the Old Testament says it, so it is applied to all Christians very strictly"

we should see what the NT teaches on it.

From Romans to Revelation the word "sabbath" appears once. The Reference to a 'Seventh Day' appears once, and the reference to 'the Lord's Day' or other words using the word 'day' appear in 4 more places for a total of 6 passages in connection to the Sabbath from Romans-Revelation. I'll just list them and make some comments on them

Just in Order, Romans 14:5-8
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord;[a] and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. 7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. 8 For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s.

There is 1 Corinthians 16:1-2
Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also: 2On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.

Galatians 4:8-11
8 But then, indeed, when you did not know God, you served those which by nature are not gods. 9 But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage? 10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain.

Colossians 2:11-17
11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins[c] of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

Hebrews 4 the entire chapter really, but specifically 8-9, 11, 14.
8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.11 Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.
14 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession.

and Revelation 1:10
10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet

Comments: Firstly, Paul seems clearly to suggest in Romans and Colossians that no one should judge another Christian based on whether they observe days or not. You can "not observe" the sabbath as a weekly thing and that is to the Lord. He doesn't place a great deal on the sabbath, or on feasts which also focus on the calendar. Also, in Colossians you notice that Christ took away the handwriting against us, which are the commandments, and nailed them to the cross, SO (it says) don't let someone judge you based off of these laws (v.16) because they are shadows to come (v.17) whose substance is Christ.

1 Corinthians talks about the collecting of money for Paul to take to Jerusalem, and he says to lay something aside on the first day of the week. This means that in Corinth and the province of Galatia, at least the Christians there met on the first day as well as any other days they may have met on.

Hebrews talks about the fact that if the rest Joshua gave Israel was the final one there wouldn't be need for another one, but since there is another rest (in Christ which the rest of the chapter seems to indicate) then we should focus on attain the final consumption of our Salvation. This goes back to the Old Testament (I didn't mention it up above, but the Sabbath in the OT when you read it in the Torah has connections to the land of Israel itself, so that can be what hebrews is talking about)

Revelation 1:10 is the only place where the Lord's Day is referenced to, so I suggest not to make up a meaning for it, but to look how it is used in the earliest non-canonical ways as context for what it might mean since Revelation is written within the same time frame as say 1 & 2 Clement, the Didache, the Epistle of Barnabas.

To end this part (I want to explore what Jesus said and what the formentioned early Church texts say) I will say that the only negative thing Paul says about the sabbath is that not to let people judge you on whether you obey it or not. That should be clear to everyone. He doesn't say anything positive about it explicitly, and says nothing about the necessity of obeying it. In fact, from Romans through Revelation there is no explicit "you must keep the sabbath" teaching. So, we can turn our attention to Mark-John, and some Early Church texts

Again, given your earnest and thoughtful response, it is clear that you do not understand who and what you are dealing with, or why they do what they do. The following quote from an ex-Adventist seminary graduate explains the motives behind the Adventist doctrines of Sabbath and of Tithing:

"The premise that Colossians 2:14-17 does not mean what it says has been worth billions and billions of dollars to the Seventh-day Adventist Church. It has created a membership of over 12 million people who give, in most cases, 10% of their hard-earned money to the Church, supporting a huge network of schools, churches, publishing houses, and a huge top-heavy church bureaucracy of state conference, union conference, division, and General Conference officials whose salaries must be paid every month."
Unless someone can explain it away, Adventists are in direct disobedience to the command of God, given through Paul, that Sabbath-keeping not be required of Christians any more than they are required to observe the Jewish dietary laws and annual sabbaths. Billions of dollars depend on the truth that Colossians 2:14-17 does not mean this, yet no one has ever been able to prove that this passage does not mean what it says. Adventist leaders have known the facts about this text and a host of other anti-Sabbatarian facts since 1888. Tragically, Adventist leaders have continued to "sell" their faulty and dangerous "other gospel" belief package to its members in exchange for 10% and more of their hard-earned money.

Sabbathgate 1888 by Kerry Wynne

Tithe+Sabbath Keeping= Big Money in pockets of Adventism.

The Second reason the Sabbath is emphasized by many magnitudes more than the Resurrection is eloquently stated here:

"Seventh Day Adventists deny the resurrection by observing the Sabbath. We come to church on Sunday, the Lord's Day, to worship Him who "died for our sins, and rose again for our justification." We worship a living Savior, and with thanksgiving, can sing:
"He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today!"
If I worship Christ on Saturday I deny that His work is finished, that He is a resurrected, living Savior

Why I Am A Baptist And Not A Seventh Day Adventist

There is BIG BIG money at stake in Resurrection-Denial, anti-Christian Sabbath Keeping, and unbiblical Tithing requirements. What the scriptures say or emphasize is completely irrelevant when billions of dollars are at stake.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
New Brunswick
✟16,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
So, the second part I want to examine the Gospels. I want to show teachings of Jesus, and statements made about Jesus concerning the sabbath. There are events described as taking place on the sabbath, so what Jesus teaches on those days may be considered, and some events talking place on those days may be considered. I will include every passage found in these books. You'll notice there is far more mention here than in Romans-Revelation.

Gospel of Mark
Mark 1:21 and following. ON the Sabbath Jesus teaches and exorcises a demon. The first is not too important since the Rabbi's taught in Synagogues on the sabbath it seems. However, the exorcising gets the Pharisees' mad at Jesus later on because they think He's working on the Sabbath.

Mark 2:23-28
23 Now it happened that He went through the grainfields on the Sabbath; and as they went His disciples began to pluck the heads of grain. 24 And the Pharisees said to Him, “Look, why do they do what is not lawful on the Sabbath?”
25 But He said to them, “Have you never read what David did when he was in need and hungry, he and those with him: 26 how he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and ate the showbread, which is not lawful to eat except for the priests, and also gave some to those who were with him?”
27 And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. 28 Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

Notice that the disciples were doing unlawful things on the sabbath. They broke the Sabbath, and Jesus doesn't deny that, but actually defend them. This indicates that the strict observance to the sabbath is less important than say feeding yourself. It is also important to notice the difference between the Pharisees' opinion of the sabbath, and Jesus' view because many times they have differing views. The Pharisees are always strict on observing the sabbath, and Jesus doesn't seem to be. Our Lord says He is Lord of the sabbath, but it is used to vindicate his disciples' actions instead of condemning them

Mark 3:1-6
And He entered the synagogue again, and a man was there who had a withered hand. 2 So they watched Him closely, whether He would heal him on the Sabbath, so that they might accuse Him. 3 And He said to the man who had the withered hand, “Step forward.” 4 Then He said to them, “Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?” But they kept silent. 5 And when He had looked around at them with anger, being grieved by the hardness of their hearts, He said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” And he stretched it out, and his hand was restored as whole as the other.[a] 6 Then the Pharisees went out and immediately plotted with the Herodians against Him, how they might destroy Him.

So, notice that the Pharisees's see Jesus healing someone on the sabbath as bad because they leaving plotting against Him. However, Jesus' view is that it is lawful to do good on the sabbath. Notice that there is no mention of resting, but working.

Mark 6:2
2 And when the Sabbath had come, He began to teach in the synagogue. And many hearing Him were astonished, saying, “Where did this Man get these things? And what wisdom is this which is given to Him, that such mighty works are performed by His hands!

Mark 15:42
42 Now when evening had come, because it was the Preparation Day, that is, the day before the Sabbath,

Mark 16:1
Now when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, that they might come and anoint Him.

Gospel of Matthew
Matthew 12:1-14
I won't post this one in its entirety because it is the same basically word for word as Mark 2 and Mark 3 except with a few differences.
Matthew 12:5-7 is added
5 Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless? 6 Yet I say to you that in this place there is One greater than the temple. 7 But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice,’[a] you would not have condemned the guiltless. 8

Jesus' says that the Priests profaned the Sabbath and are blameless. You have to deal with what Jesus is saying, He is saying that obeying the sabbath is not the important thing here.

Matthew 24:20
19 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! 20 And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be.

This verse 20 is in the middle of a prophetic utterance and notice how it is coupled with the winter. Jesus seems to be saying that if the destruction He is foretelling happens on the sabbath day, or in the winter it will suck so pray to God that when it comes it won't happen on those days. he ascribes importance on the sabbath, but in a more foreboding sense, and He isn't saying that the Sabbath is to be kept.

Matthew 28:1
Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb.

Gospel of Luke + Acts
Luke 4:16, 31
16 So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.
31 Then He went down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and was teaching them on the Sabbaths.

Luke 6:1-11
Same as Matthew 12 and Mark 2-3. It's the same story told again

Luke 13:10-17
0 Now He was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath. 11 And behold, there was a woman who had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bent over and could in no way raise herself up. 12 But when Jesus saw her, He called her to Him and said to her, “Woman, you are loosed from your infirmity.” 13 And He laid His hands on her, and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God. 14 But the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath; and he said to the crowd, “There are six days on which men ought to work; therefore come and be healed on them, and not on the Sabbath day.”
15 The Lord then answered him and said, “Hypocrite![b] Does not each one of you on the Sabbath loose his ox or donkey from the stall, and lead it away to water it? 16 So ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has bound—think of it—for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath?” 17 And when He said these things, all His adversaries were put to shame; and all the multitude rejoiced for all the glorious things that were done by Him.

So, this is interesting. Jesus heals on the sabbath and notice how the ruler of the Synagogue responds, with anger because he thinks Jesus is breaking the sabbath, and notice how the sabbath takes a back seat to healing in Jesus' mind and Jesus' response to the leader.

Luke 14:1-6
Now it happened, as He went into the house of one of the rulers of the Pharisees to eat bread on the Sabbath, that they watched Him closely. 2 And behold, there was a certain man before Him who had dropsy. 3 And Jesus, answering, spoke to the lawyers and Pharisees, saying, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”[a]
4 But they kept silent. And He took him and healed him, and let him go. 5 Then He answered them, saying, “Which of you, having a donkey[b] or an ox that has fallen into a pit, will not immediately pull him out on the Sabbath day?” 6 And they could not answer Him regarding these things.

This is similar, Jesus' teaching on the sabbath, the focus is doing good on it, and healing on it, and condemnation of the Pharisees.

Luke 23:54-56

54 That day was the Preparation, and the Sabbath drew near.
55 And the women who had come with Him from Galilee followed after, and they observed the tomb and how His body was laid. 56 Then they returned and prepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.

Gospel of John (this one is interesting and important)

John 5:8-18
8 Jesus said to him, “Rise, take up your bed and walk.” 9 And immediately the man was made well, took up his bed, and walked.
And that day was the Sabbath. 10 The Jews therefore said to him who was cured, “It is the Sabbath; it is not lawful for you to carry your bed.”
11 He answered them, “He who made me well said to me, ‘Take up your bed and walk.’”
12 Then they asked him, “Who is the Man who said to you, ‘Take up your bed and walk’?” 13 But the one who was healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had withdrawn, a multitude being in that place. 14 Afterward Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him, “See, you have been made well. Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you.”
15 The man departed and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well.
16For this reason the Jews persecuted Jesus, and sought to kill Him,[c] because He had done these things on the Sabbath. 17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.”
18 Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.

These last parts are super important. In the Jewish mind Jesus broke the sabbath. They tried to kill him because they were convinced that he had broke the sabbath. Now, Jesus never defends himself, but we know that God is His father and He is equal with God, so it invites us to chance the way we see the sabbath. Is the strictness of the sabbath important? It seems not because if it is, then Jesus broke it, and what do you do with that?

John 7:22-24
22 Moses therefore gave you circumcision (not that it is from Moses, but from the fathers), and you circumcise a man on the Sabbath. 23 If a man receives circumcision on the Sabbath, so that the law of Moses should not be broken, are you angry with Me because I made a man completely well on the Sabbath? 24 Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”

Notice that the Jews break the sabbath to circumcise babies if it falls on the same day, so why should they get mad at Jesus who heals on the sabbath? Notice how the sabbath is indicated as being broken, but less than circumcision to the Jews (and we know the teaching on circumcision)

John 9:14-16
4 Now it was a Sabbath when Jesus made the clay and opened his eyes. 15 Then the Pharisees also asked him again how he had received his sight. He said to them, “He put clay on my eyes, and I washed, and I see.” 16 Therefore some of the Pharisees said, “This Man is not from God, because He does not keep the Sabbath.”
Others said, “How can a man who is a sinner do such signs?” And there was a division among them.

Again the Jews believe that Jesus breaks the sabbath, and claim he is not from God because he doesn't keep the sabbath. If you believe in the strictness of the sabbath, you have to explain this. But we know that Jesus is God and sinless so how does that reinterpret our understanding of the sabbath? It's a question you have to wrestle with if you adhere to strict sabbath laws.

John 19:31
31 Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

So, Jesus doesn't ever explicitly say it is necessary to strictly obey the sabbath. In fact, he is accused of breaking it, and he heals on it and works on it. Therefore, from The gospels there is nothing to suggest a strict obedience to the sabbath. That's what the Pharisees did and Jesus rebuked them calling them hypocrites.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
New Brunswick
✟16,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Book of Acts (cut from the Gospels above because it was too long)

Acts 1:12
12 Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day’s journey.

Acts 13:14, 27, 42, 44
4 But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day and sat down
27 For those who dwell in Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they did not know Him, nor even the voices of the Prophets which are read every Sabbath, have fulfilled them in condemning Him.
42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue,[j] the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath. 43 Now when the congregation had broken up, many of the Jews and devout proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.
44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God.

Most of these are historical or setting descriptions. "These things happened on this day->Sabbath." Notice verse 27 fits in with the Exodus 31 and other OT teachings on the sabbath, but it is to the Jews, and Jerusalem, not talking about Gentiles, and not even talking about Christians, but the background of the teaching of Moses to the Jews

Acts 15:18-21
18 “Known to God from eternity are all His works.[c] 19 Therefore I judge that we should not trouble those from among the Gentiles who are turning to God, 20 but that we write to them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality,[d] from things strangled, and from blood. 21 For Moses has had throughout many generations those who preach him in every city, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”

This passage, the sabbath is used in a historical sense. It isn't in the list of commandments given to the Gentiles, and it isn't even the focus. IT isn't a command to keep the sabbath strictly, but as a setting to "those who preach him in every city" which is the focus of that last part.

Acts 16:13
13 And on the Sabbath day we went out of the city to the riverside, where prayer was customarily made; and we sat down and spoke to the women who met there.

This shows that people did meet on the sabbath, but these people were not Christian in this verse. Because it was Paul and his company's first encounter with these people, so that is important to remember.

Acts 17:2-4
2 Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures, 3 explaining and demonstrating that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, “This Jesus whom I preach to you is the Christ.” 4 And some of them were persuaded; and a great multitude of the devout Greeks, and not a few of the leading women, joined Paul and Silas.

The sabbath is the setting because it is when the Jews met together, notice that in this case, Paul is preaching the Gospel, and he is speaking to Jews and non-believers for 3 sabbaths, not to Christians. This passage doesn't offer any suggestion as to when the believers met, but the Jews met on the sabbath.

Acts 18:4
4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks.
Again, Paul reasoned to Jews and unbelieving Greeks on the sabbath, not Christians. And there is no indication of when and how Christians met. But later on in verses 8 and following Paul leaves the synagogue and no longer meets there, but the time and date isn't indicated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
F

from scratch

Book of Acts (cut from the Gospels above because it was too long)

Acts 1:12
12 Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day’s journey.

Acts 13:14, 27, 42, 44
4 But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day and sat down
27 For those who dwell in Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they did not know Him, nor even the voices of the Prophets which are read every Sabbath, have fulfilled them in condemning Him.
42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue,[j] the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath. 43 Now when the congregation had broken up, many of the Jews and devout proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.
44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God.

Most of these are historical or setting descriptions. "These things happened on this day->Sabbath." Notice verse 27 fits in with the Exodus 31 and other OT teachings on the sabbath, but it is to the Jews, and Jerusalem, not talking about Gentiles, and not even talking about Christians, but the background of the teaching of Moses to the Jews

Acts 15:18-21
18 “Known to God from eternity are all His works.[c] 19 Therefore I judge that we should not trouble those from among the Gentiles who are turning to God, 20 but that we write to them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality,[d] from things strangled, and from blood. 21 For Moses has had throughout many generations those who preach him in every city, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”

This passage, the sabbath is used in a historical sense. It isn't in the list of commandments given to the Gentiles, and it isn't even the focus. IT isn't a command to keep the sabbath strictly, but as a setting to "those who preach him in every city" which is the focus of that last part.

Acts 16:13
13 And on the Sabbath day we went out of the city to the riverside, where prayer was customarily made; and we sat down and spoke to the women who met there.

This shows that people did meet on the sabbath, but these people were not Christian in this verse. Because it was Paul and his company's first encounter with these people, so that is important to remember.

Acts 17:2-4
2 Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures, 3 explaining and demonstrating that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, “This Jesus whom I preach to you is the Christ.” 4 And some of them were persuaded; and a great multitude of the devout Greeks, and not a few of the leading women, joined Paul and Silas.

The sabbath is the setting because it is when the Jews met together, notice that in this case, Paul is preaching the Gospel, and he is speaking to Jews and non-believers for 3 sabbaths, not to Christians. This passage doesn't offer any suggestion as to when the believers met, but the Jews met on the sabbath.

Acts 18:4
4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks.
Again, Paul reasoned to Jews and unbelieving Greeks on the sabbath, not Christians. And there is no indication of when and how Christians met. But later on in verses 8 and following Paul leaves the synagogue and no longer meets there, but the time and date isn't indicated.
Pretty much exactly what they've already been told and reject because the word Sabbath is a code word for them. It puts them in a trance and they can see nothing but the 4th commandment being kept.

Upvote 0

LarryP2

Mar 13, 2014
✟1,841.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Sabbath is more important than Jesus to the SDA. Don't they greet each other with happy Sabbath? They even have hymns in their hymnal to the Sabbath. Do I need to quote them? The real fact is they worship the Sabbath violating a commandment they claim to uphold. Oh wait they only claim to uphold one of them. Notice I said claim.

The dawn of God’s dear Sabbath
Breaks o’er the earth again,
As some sweet summer morning
After a night of pain;
It comes as cooling showers
To some exhausted land,
As shade of clustered palm trees
’Mid weary wastes of sand.

Lord, we would bring for offering,
Though marred with earthly soil,
Our week of earnest labor,
Of steady, faithful toil,
Fair fruits of self denial,
Of strong, deep love to Thee,
Fostered by Thine own Spirit
In true humility.

And, we would bring our burden
Of sinful thought and deed,
In Thy pure presence kneeling,
From bondage to be freed,
Our heart’s most bitter sorrow
For all Thy work undone
So many talents wasted!
So few bright laurels won!

And with that sorrow mingling,
A steadfast faith, and sure,
And love so deep and fervent,
For thee to make it pure;
In Thy dear presence finding
The pardon that we need;
And then the peace so lasting

SDA HYMNAL 40 - The Dawn of God's Dear Sabbath

Come, O Sabbath day, and bring
Peace and healing on thy wing;
And to every troubled breast
Speak of the divine behest:
Thou shalt rest, Thou shalt rest!

Earthly longings bid retire,
Quench the passions’ hurtful fire;
To the wayward, sin oppressed,
Bring thou thy divine behest:

Wipe from evey cheek the tear,
Banish care and silence fear;
All things working for the best,
Teach us the divine behest:
SDA HYMNAL 387 - Come O Sabbath Day

We love Thy Sabbath, Lord,
And worship at Thy will;
Oh may these hours sweet peace afford
And deeper faith instill.

Thine angels sang for joy
Cration's work to see;
We too, this day, would raise our hearts
In grateful praise to Thee.

Praise for Thy wondrous love,
That sealed this sacred day,
A sign that all may understand
We own Thy sovereign sway.

O great Creator King,
Through Thy redeeming grace,
Renew and sanctify our hearts
That we may see Thy face.

And with the white-robed throng,
Upon Mount Sion be,
And joyful sing our Sabbath song
Through all eternity.

Here is what I think is the entire list of Sabbath Hymns, by title:
380 - Welcome, Day of Sweet Repose
381 - Holy Sabbath Day of Rest
382 - O Day of Rest and Gladness
383 - O Day of Rest and Gladness
384 - Safely Through Another Week
385 - Crowning Jewel of Creation
386 - The Sacred Anthem
387 - Come, O Sabbath Day
388 - Don't Forget the Sabbath
389 - Light of Light, Enlighten Me
390 - We Love Thy Sabbath, Lord
391 - Welcome, Welcome, Day of Rest
392 - Dear Lord, We Come at Set of Sun
393 - Lord of the Sabbath
394 - Far From All Care
395 - As Birds Unto the Genial Homeland

http://www.sdahymnal.net/

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

The dawn of God’s dear Sabbath
Breaks o’er the earth again,
As some sweet summer morning
After a night of pain;
It comes as cooling showers
To some exhausted land,
As shade of clustered palm trees
’Mid weary wastes of sand.

Lord, we would bring for offering,
Though marred with earthly soil,
Our week of earnest labor,
Of steady, faithful toil,
Fair fruits of self denial,
Of strong, deep love to Thee,
Fostered by Thine own Spirit
In true humility.

And, we would bring our burden
Of sinful thought and deed,
In Thy pure presence kneeling,
From bondage to be freed,
Our heart’s most bitter sorrow
For all Thy work undone
So many talents wasted!
So few bright laurels won!

And with that sorrow mingling,
A steadfast faith, and sure,
And love so deep and fervent,
For thee to make it pure;
In Thy dear presence finding
The pardon that we need;
And then the peace so lasting

SDA HYMNAL 40 - The Dawn of God's Dear Sabbath

Come, O Sabbath day, and bring
Peace and healing on thy wing;
And to every troubled breast
Speak of the divine behest:

Earthly longings bid retire,
Quench the passions’ hurtful fire;
To the wayward, sin oppressed,
Bring thou thy divine behest:

Wipe from evey cheek the tear,
Banish care and silence fear;
All things working for the best,
Teach us the divine behest:

We love Thy Sabbath, Lord,
And worship at Thy will;
Oh may these hours sweet peace afford
And deeper faith instill.

Thine angels sang for joy
Cration's work to see;
We too, this day, would raise our hearts
In grateful praise to Thee.

Praise for Thy wondrous love,
That sealed this sacred day,
A sign that all may understand
We own Thy sovereign sway.

O great Creator King,
Through Thy redeeming grace,
Renew and sanctify our hearts
That we may see Thy face.

And with the white-robed throng,
Upon Mount Sion be,
And joyful sing our Sabbath song
Through all eternity.

Here is what I think is the entire list of Sabbath Hymns, by title:
380 - Welcome, Day of Sweet Repose
381 - Holy Sabbath Day of Rest
382 - O Day of Rest and Gladness
383 - O Day of Rest and Gladness
384 - Safely Through Another Week
385 - Crowning Jewel of Creation
386 - The Sacred Anthem
387 - Come, O Sabbath Day
388 - Don't Forget the Sabbath
389 - Light of Light, Enlighten Me
390 - We Love Thy Sabbath, Lord
391 - Welcome, Welcome, Day of Rest
392 - Dear Lord, We Come at Set of Sun
393 - Lord of the Sabbath
394 - Far From All Care
395 - As Birds Unto the Genial Homeland

SDA HYMNAL- gospel music online, christian music cds,Song Books,hymn backing tracks,online
:D

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟100,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Creation's story as written by Moses and reinforced in other books of the bible, is isolated to what the creator did as it is written. The keywords "And God" found in Gen 1-2:3 helps us to know, that what is written about the seven days of creation, is isolated the creator's actions and not about man doing anything. It's all about God. To say that man was given 'rest with God, or given Sabbath is not found anywhere within these chapters below. Where Jesus said that "Sabbath was made for man" is not a reference to God's creation rest. Sabbath was created as a test for the Children of Israel (Sabbath was made for man to rest weekly from labor it cannot be for God to rest at creation from all His work) Ex16

Genesis 1:3
And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Genesis 1:4
And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

Genesis 1:5
And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Genesis 1:6
And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

Genesis 1:7
And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

Genesis 1:8
And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

Genesis 1:9
And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

Genesis 1:10
And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

Genesis 1:11
And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

Genesis 1:12
And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

Genesis 1:14
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

Genesis 1:16
And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

Genesis 1:17
And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

Genesis 1:18
And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

Genesis 1:20
And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

Genesis 1:21
And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

Genesis 1:22
And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.

Genesis 1:24
And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

Genesis 1:25
And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

Genesis 1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Genesis 1:28
And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Genesis 1:29
And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

Genesis 1:31
And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Genesis 2:3
And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

How have you proven that Adam kept Sabbath? If God was finished all His work, commentary about the 8th-14th day are lies that undermines the bible and creation's truths. Did God rest because He was finished all His work or did He created the Sabbath for man at creation? The fact is: God rest is not the Sabbath.

WHO BUT SATAN WANT TO CHANGE CREATION'S STORY FROM GENESIS CHAPTER 1?????

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟100,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So, the second part I want to examine the Gospels. I want to show teachings of Jesus, and statements made about Jesus concerning the sabbath. There are events described as taking place on the sabbath, so what Jesus teaches on those days may be considered, and some events talking place on those days may be considered. I will include every passage found in these books. You'll notice there is far more mention here than in Romans-Revelation.

Gospel of Mark
Mark 1:21 and following. ON the Sabbath Jesus teaches and exorcises a demon. The first is not too important since the Rabbi's taught in Synagogues on the sabbath it seems. However, the exorcising gets the Pharisees' mad at Jesus later on because they think He's working on the Sabbath.

Mark 2:23-28
23 Now it happened that He went through the grainfields on the Sabbath; and as they went His disciples began to pluck the heads of grain. 24 And the Pharisees said to Him, “Look, why do they do what is not lawful on the Sabbath
25 But He said to them, “Have you never read what David did when he was in need and hungry, he and those with him: 26 how he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and ate the showbread, which is not lawful to eat except for the priests, and also gave some to those who were with him?”
27 And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. 28 Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

Notice that the disciples were doing unlawful things on the sabbath. They broke the Sabbath, and Jesus doesn't deny that, but actually defend them. This indicates that the strict observance to the sabbath is less important than say feeding yourself. It is also important to notice the difference between the Pharisees' opinion of the sabbath, and Jesus' view because many times they have differing views. The Pharisees are always strict on observing the sabbath, and Jesus doesn't seem to be. Our Lord says He is Lord of the sabbath, but it is used to vindicate his disciples' actions instead of condemning them

Mark 3:1-6
And He entered the synagogue again, and a man was there who had a withered hand. 2 So they watched Him closely, whether He would heal him on the Sabbath, so that they might accuse Him. 3 And He said to the man who had the withered hand, “Step forward.” 4 Then He said to them, “Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?” But they kept silent. 5 And when He had looked around at them with anger, being grieved by the hardness of their hearts, He said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” And he stretched it out, and his hand was restored as whole as the other.[a] 6 Then the Pharisees went out and immediately plotted with the Herodians against Him, how they might destroy Him.

So, notice that the Pharisees's see Jesus healing someone on the sabbath as bad because they leaving plotting against Him. However, Jesus' view is that it is lawful to do good on the sabbath. Notice that there is no mention of resting, but working.

Mark 6:2
2 And when the Sabbath had come, He began to teach in the synagogue. And many hearing Him were astonished, saying, “Where did this Man get these things? And what wisdom is this which is given to Him, that such mighty works are performed by His hands!

Mark 15:42
42 Now when evening had come, because it was the Preparation Day, that is, the day before the Sabbath,

Mark 16:1
Now when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, that they might come and anoint Him.

Gospel of Matthew
Matthew 12:1-14
I won't post this one in its entirety because it is the same basically word for word as Mark 2 and Mark 3 except with a few differences.
Matthew 12:5-7 is added
5 Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless? 6 Yet I say to you that in this place there is One greater than the temple. 7 But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice,’[a] you would not have condemned the guiltless. 8

Jesus' says that the Priests profaned the Sabbath and are blameless. You have to deal with what Jesus is saying, He is saying that obeying the sabbath is not the important thing here.

Matthew 24:20
19 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! 20 And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be.

This verse 20 is in the middle of a prophetic utterance and notice how it is coupled with the winter. Jesus seems to be saying that if the destruction He is foretelling happens on the sabbath day, or in the winter it will suck so pray to God that when it comes it won't happen on those days. he ascribes importance on the sabbath, but in a more foreboding sense, and He isn't saying that the Sabbath is to be kept.

Matthew 28:1
Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb.

Gospel of Luke + Acts
Luke 4:16, 31
16 So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.
31 Then He went down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and was teaching them on the Sabbaths.

Luke 6:1-11
Same as Matthew 12 and Mark 2-3. It's the same story told again

Luke 13:10-17
0 Now He was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath. 11 And behold, there was a woman who had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bent over and could in no way raise herself up. 12 But when Jesus saw her, He called her to Him and said to her, “Woman, you are loosed from your infirmity.” 13 And He laid His hands on her, and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God. 14 But the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath; and he said to the crowd, “There are six days on which men ought to work; therefore come and be healed on them, and not on the Sabbath day.”
15 The Lord then answered him and said, “Hypocrite![b] Does not each one of you on the Sabbath loose his ox or donkey from the stall, and lead it away to water it? 16 So ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has bound—think of it—for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath?” 17 And when He said these things, all His adversaries were put to shame; and all the multitude rejoiced for all the glorious things that were done by Him.

So, this is interesting. Jesus heals on the sabbath and notice how the ruler of the Synagogue responds, with anger because he thinks Jesus is breaking the sabbath, and notice how the sabbath takes a back seat to healing in Jesus' mind and Jesus' response to the leader.

Luke 14:1-6
Now it happened, as He went into the house of one of the rulers of the Pharisees to eat bread on the Sabbath, that they watched Him closely. 2 And behold, there was a certain man before Him who had dropsy. 3 And Jesus, answering, spoke to the lawyers and Pharisees, saying, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”[a]
4 But they kept silent. And He took him and healed him, and let him go. 5 Then He answered them, saying, “Which of you, having a donkey[b] or an ox that has fallen into a pit, will not immediately pull him out on the Sabbath day?” 6 And they could not answer Him regarding these things.

This is similar, Jesus' teaching on the sabbath, the focus is doing good on it, and healing on it, and condemnation of the Pharisees.

Luke 23:54-56

54 That day was the Preparation, and the Sabbath drew near.
55 And the women who had come with Him from Galilee followed after, and they observed the tomb and how His body was laid. 56 Then they returned and prepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.

Gospel of John (this one is interesting and important)

John 5:8-18
8 Jesus said to him, “Rise, take up your bed and walk.” 9 And immediately the man was made well, took up his bed, and walked.
And that day was the Sabbath. 10 The Jews therefore said to him who was cured, “It is the Sabbath; it is not lawful for you to carry your bed.”
11 He answered them, “He who made me well said to me, ‘Take up your bed and walk.’”
12 Then they asked him, “Who is the Man who said to you, ‘Take up your bed and walk’?” 13 But the one who was healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had withdrawn, a multitude being in that place. 14 Afterward Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him, “See, you have been made well. Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you.”
15 The man departed and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well.
16For this reason the Jews persecuted Jesus, and sought to kill Him,[c] because He had done these things on the Sabbath. 17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.”
18 Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.

These last parts are super important. In the Jewish mind Jesus broke the sabbath. They tried to kill him because they were convinced that he had broke the sabbath. Now, Jesus never defends himself, but we know that God is His father and He is equal with God, so it invites us to chance the way we see the sabbath. Is the strictness of the sabbath important? It seems not because if it is, then Jesus broke it, and what do you do with that?

John 7:22-24
22 Moses therefore gave you circumcision (not that it is from Moses, but from the fathers), and you circumcise a man on the Sabbath. 23 If a man receives circumcision on the Sabbath, so that the law of Moses should not be broken, are you angry with Me because I made a man completely well on the Sabbath? 24 Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”

Notice that the Jews break the sabbath to circumcise babies if it falls on the same day, so why should they get mad at Jesus who heals on the sabbath? Notice how the sabbath is indicated as being broken, but less than circumcision to the Jews (and we know the teaching on circumcision)

John 9:14-16
4 Now it was a Sabbath when Jesus made the clay and opened his eyes. 15 Then the Pharisees also asked him again how he had received his sight. He said to them, “He put clay on my eyes, and I washed, and I see.” 16 Therefore some of the Pharisees said, “This Man is not from God, because He does not keep the Sabbath.”
Others said, “How can a man who is a sinner do such signs?” And there was a division among them.

Again the Jews believe that Jesus breaks the sabbath, and claim he is not from God because he doesn't keep the sabbath. If you believe in the strictness of the sabbath, you have to explain this. But we know that Jesus is God and sinless so how does that reinterpret our understanding of the sabbath? It's a question you have to wrestle with if you adhere to strict sabbath laws.

John 19:31
31 Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

So, Jesus doesn't ever explicitly say it is necessary to strictly obey the sabbath. In fact, he is accused of breaking it, and he heals on it and works on it. Therefore, from The gospels there is nothing to suggest a strict obedience to the sabbath. That's what the Pharisees did and Jesus rebuked them calling them hypocrites.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Very convincing truths..... Sabbatarians cannot use proof texts like this. They will ignore your posts and continue to post lies.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.