Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
January 29, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – President Donald Trump raised a lot of eyebrows Monday by endorsing biblical literacy education in public schools, earning praise from socially-conservative supporters and scorn from secular critics.

Legislation is currently pending in at least six states that would encourage public schools to offer elective courses on the Bible’s historical and literary significance. Backed by groups such as the Congressional Prayer Caucus Foundation, National Legal Foundation, and WallBuilders, the bills are meant to recognize that “the Bible is an integral part of our society and deserves a place in the classroom,” according to North Dakota GOP state Rep. Aaron McWilliams.

The president spoke out in favor of the push Monday, tweeting it was “great” to give students “the option of studying the Bible.”

Critics responded by attacking him from two angles: that Trump is an unserious champion of biblical principles, and that the policies run afoul of church-state separation.

On the first, critics invoked various examples such as Trump’s history of marital infidelity and comments suggesting he never asked God for forgiveness. Trump's secular, liberal, and salacious past alarmed many conservatives as well when he won the Republican presidential nomination, but since then most have been won over by his record of supporting life and defending religious liberty.

More at link: Liberals outraged as Trump endorses Bible literacy classes in public schools

Sarsath

Feb 20, 2018
Wisconsin
✟51,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
As a Christian, I think this is a bad idea. It is unconstitutional and will just create resentment from non-Christians, which was one of the reasons militant atheism gained traction starting in the 80s and more notably in the 2000s. It was a monster the religious right created.

Upvote 0

Orthodoxjay1

Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As a Christian, I think this is a bad idea. It is unconstitutional and will just create resentment from non-Christians, which was one of the reasons militant atheism gained traction starting in the 80s and more notably in the 2000s. It was a monster the religious right created.
Christians will have to choose whatever they care about what God wants or what the Constitution wants, it just a class for literacy in the Bible, it not converting anyone to the Christian faith, kudos to his excellency President Donald J. Trump, Trump 2020 all the way.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
January 29, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – President Donald Trump raised a lot of eyebrows Monday by endorsing biblical literacy education in public schools, earning praise from socially-conservative supporters and scorn from secular critics.

Legislation is currently pending in at least six states that would encourage public schools to offer elective courses on the Bible’s historical and literary significance. Backed by groups such as the Congressional Prayer Caucus Foundation, National Legal Foundation, and WallBuilders, the bills are meant to recognize that “the Bible is an integral part of our society and deserves a place in the classroom,” according to North Dakota GOP state Rep. Aaron McWilliams.

The president spoke out in favor of the push Monday, tweeting it was “great” to give students “the option of studying the Bible.”

Critics responded by attacking him from two angles: that Trump is an unserious champion of biblical principles, and that the policies run afoul of church-state separation.

On the first, critics invoked various examples such as Trump’s history of marital infidelity and comments suggesting he never asked God for forgiveness. Trump's secular, liberal, and salacious past alarmed many conservatives as well when he won the Republican presidential nomination, but since then most have been won over by his record of supporting life and defending religious liberty.

More at link: Liberals outraged as Trump endorses Bible literacy classes in public schools
What other religions are they going to have the option to study?

Upvote 0

Orthodoxjay1

Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What other religions are they going to have the option to study?
Hopefully none, the Bible has been translated in the English language from the Greek, Hebrew, and Latin, while the Quran is in Arabic, one must know Arabic, and the Torah is still in Hebrew.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hopefuklt none, the Bible has been translated in the English language from the Greek, Hebrew, and Latin, while the Quran is in Arabic, one must know Arabic, and the Torah is still in Hebrew.
What? Koran has been translated into English for a long time.

AND Torah is the first five books of the Old Testament and the Tanakh is the Old Testament.

There is also Hinduism, Buddhism, The Book of Mormon, etc.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s an elective and don’t see any prohibition for other faiths to give the historical perspective of their religion.

In San Diego there are world religion mandatory classes.

Islam, other religions already taught at San Diego Unified

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think it would be far more beneficial to the United States of America if Donald Trump took a Bible literacy class....

My friends at Santa Monica High School, which is a public school located in Santa Monica, California, one of the most liberal cities in a liberal state, took a class about the Bible’s historical and literary significance. This was in 2016, during President Obama's second term.

The all-girls independent school known for being liberal and promoting feminism that Steve Bannon's twin daughters graduated from a few years ago offered a similar course.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it would be far more beneficial to the United States of America if Donald Trump took a Bible literacy class....

My friends at Santa Monica High School, which is a public school located in Santa Monica, California, one of the most liberal cities in a liberal state, took a class about the Bible’s historical and literary significance. This was in 2016, during President Obama's second term.

The ultra-liberal all-girls independent school Steve Bannon's twin daughters graduated from a few years ago offered a similar course.
Lol I agree he should.

As an elective I see no issues.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Lol I agree he should.

As an elective I see no issues.

I took a fantastic class on Islam that studied the historical and literary significance of the Qur’an and Hadith, and learned rudimentary Arabic at the Christian school I attended in the 7th grade. It's a high school class but they let girls in the lower school take it upon request if the teacher consented. I loved it. I think it would be fantastic if classes like it were offered as an elective, as well as ones like what my friends took at Santa Monica High on the Bible, at public schools.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A lot would depend on what is meant as a "Bible literacy class". Teaching the Bible as a work of literature is one thing. A Sunday school class, even if it's an elective, runs into church/state separation issues and should not be allowed.

But the main reason I strained my eyeballs from rolling when I heard about this is exactly what OP was talking about: Mr. Thrice (?) Divorced, run-around-on-Melania-while-she-was-pregnant-with-Barron Businessman trying to win brownie points with his amoral "evangelical" base is vomit inducing.
Ringo

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There was a unit on Islam in my high school history class in my sophmore year...not to date myself too much, but this was well before 9/11. Shockingly, learning about the history of that religion, the five pillars, and so on did not magically cause me to convert to Islam. :rolleyes:

I think this is a fine idea, and Trump's personal history or the odious character of some of his base or whatever doesn't stop it from being a fine idea so much as give people something to grumble about because many would've probably liked it better had it not been tied to this particular president. Not sure what to say to that. We live in the world as it is, and anything that gets people to study the Bible is a good thing.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I took a fantastic class on Islam that studied the historical and literary significance of the Qur’an and Hadith, and learned rudimentary Arabic at the Christian school I attended in the 7th grade. It's a high school class but they let girls in the lower school take it upon request if the teacher consented. I loved it. I think it would be fantastic if classes like it were offered as an elective, as well as ones like what my friends took at Santa Monica High on the Bible, at public schools.
Back in my elementary years there really was no conflict. You really can’t understand history without addressing the religions which people held dear and influenced their culture.

I went to an all boys Catholic prep HS which since private there were no restrictions. The AP Euro history priest was pretty hard on Luther and the Reformation. ^_^

I must have ticked him off as I was given the task of defending Luther in a mock trial. With the tribunal all Roman Catholics needless to say I lost. But did convince one judge on the tribunal and the debate moderator.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A lot would depend on what is meant as a "Bible literacy class". Teaching the Bible as a work of literature is one thing. A Sunday school class, even if it's an elective, runs into church/state separation issues and should not be allowed.

But the main reason I strained my eyeballs from rolling when I heard about this is exactly what OP was talking about: Mr. Thrice (?) Divorced, run-around-on-Melania-while-she-was-pregnant-with-Barron Businessman trying to win brownie points with his amoral "evangelical" base is vomit inducing.
Ringo
Former alcoholics do well promoting recovery programs. Just saying.

• Haha
Reactions: KyleSpringer
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Former alcoholics do well promoting recovery programs. Just saying.

Maybe so, but former alcoholics renounce drinking and show remorse first, do they not?
Ringo

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Man, I wish that I had something like this available when I was going to a public High School. That would have been awesome and would have helped keep me away from bad influences.

Upvote 0