Nov 12, 2008
✟241,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
True, but in both cases, Justices Sotomayor and Breyer chose to make claims -- dead wrong claims that almost anyone with even a passing knowledge of the Covid facts would know weren't true -- even though the lawyer who was there to testify about the matter and answer questions could simply have been asked about it. That may be why we call these things "hearings."
My reading of the data is that it is perfectly reasonable to assert that since the onset of the pandemic something of the order or 100,000 children have been impacted by to a serious extent by Covid. Do you deny this is the case? If so, why?

Now, if Sotomayor is guilty of anything it is being imprecise as to what the 100k figure related to and over what time period it applied. In a typcial business day, with multiple individual or group meetings I would astounded if such imprecision or lack of clarity did not occur many times, certainly into double figures. If you have a different experience then either you work with remarkably well spoken, thoughtful people, or you are not very observant.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How do you know it was off the top of her head? Did the US Supreme Court Justice speak without educating herself on the subject first?
I don't know, did she? Do you know?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My reading of the data is that it is perfectly reasonable to assert that since the onset of the pandemic something of the order or 100,000 children have been impacted by to a serious extent by Covid. Do you deny this is the case?
Because that does not appear to be what she said or meant. According to msn news, the Daily Mail, and other sources, the discussion went this way (the following is from msn)--

"Nevertheless, the spike in cases has led to increased hospitalizations, Sotomayor noted during the exchange. Almost 30 percent of intensive-care beds are filled with covid patients as of Jan. 8, according to the Health and Human Services Department data.

"But then Sotomayor went off the rails:
'We have over 100,000 children, which we’ve never had before, in serious condition and many on ventilators.'”

Note also that she said we have (present tense) over 100,000 children...not that there have been over 100,000 since 2020 or some other date in the past.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
At least she didn't claim that 100,000 Americans die each year of the flu, which is also a lie.

Perhaps both she and Gorsuch should resign.

Gorsuch didn't say that 100,000 Americans die each year of the flu.

What he said was that “flu kills, I believe, hundreds, thousands of people every year.”

That is a true statement.

Even if he'd been misunderstood to be saying hundreds OF thousands of people....

It still isn't confined to Americans and, on a worldwide basis probably is true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
At least she didn't claim that 100,000 Americans die each year of the flu, which is also a lie.

Perhaps both she and Gorsuch should resign.

Indeed -- and President Biden can pick their replacements.

• Agree
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So quoting a number off of the top of your head, by memory, is a lie?

I just love how people here are suddenly defending a liberal when they lie, but continue to throw the accusations of "lying" at conservatives. It's a feat of mental gymnastics that should qualify as an Olympic event! :p

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You're conceding that he might have lied, then?
Good grief. You've had the corrected information carefully explained in both the Sotomayor and the Gorsuch cases.

If you imagine that he did lie, show us why you know that he did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Good grief. You've had the corrected information carefully explained in both the Sotomayor and the Gorsuch cases.

If you imagine that he did lie, show us why you know that he did.

I said he might have lied -- because you said he probably told the truth.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I just love how people here are suddenly defending a liberal when they lie, but continue to throw the accusations of "lying" at conservatives. It's a feat of mental gymnastics that should qualify as an Olympic event! :p
I love the never-ending stream of whataboutisms coming from conservatives when they're defeated in an argument. It's a feat of mental gymnastics that sho... Wait, scratch that, it's not a feat at all, it's just a form of dodging a conversation that anyone, even the least knowledgeable, can do.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Or basic sarcasm. so yeah, either rock bottom basic sarcasm or Olympics level mental gymnastics.

One of the two.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I said he might have lied -- because you said he probably told the truth.
Well, no, what Albion said was:
Gorsuch didn't say that 100,000 Americans die each year of the flu.

What he said was that “flu kills, I believe, hundreds, thousands of people every year.”

That is a true statement.

Even if he'd been misunderstood to be saying hundreds OF thousands of people....

It still isn't confined to Americans and, on a worldwide basis probably is true.
Albion makes two points here.
1) Gorsuch didn't say "hundreds of thousands of people", he said "hundreds, thousands of people".
2) Even if Gorsuch did say "hundreds of thousands of people" then his statement (viewed on a worldwide basis) was probably true.

So essentially, you're asking Albion to admit "in a hypothetical scenario where Gorsuch said something that he didn't say, are you admitting he lied?"

To be fair, Albion could have stated this point more clearly. But ultimately you're posing a challenge to him regarding a statement Gorsuch didn't make.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
1) Gorsuch didn't say "hundreds of thousands of people", he said "hundreds, thousands of people".
Yet, we have no audio, just some transcript. Who wrote the transcript? Some partisan shill?

2) Even if Gorsuch did say "hundreds of thousands of people" then his statement (viewed on a worldwide basis) was probably true.
Wrong. An American Judge discussing American policy is not citing worldwide statistics.

• Winner
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
During oral arguments on the Biden administration’s vaccine mandate for large private employers on Friday, Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor exaggerated the number of children hospitalized with Covid by tens of thousands.

She earned a four Pinocchio rating from the Washington Post fact checker, the paper’s worst rating.
The issue I have is that she stated the exaggerated numbers (lied), during oral arguments. She offered the numbers as evidence and not opinion. If her evidence is that flawed in this case, what else has she exagerated?

Upvote 0