Liberal Judaism?

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
It would be different in this local situation because I would be the only person knowledgeable enough to meet with a -Jewish representative- from out of county or state. (Speaking common English of course)

What do you mean by knowledgeable enough to meet with a Jewish representative?

Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
What I mean is what I just said about the Jewish representative.

Ok, I do not understand at all.

Who is this 'Jewish representative' and what is he representing and why?

What kind of knowledge do you have to have to meet with this 'Jewish representative'?

Upvote 0

ProScribe

May 20, 2008
Granbury,TX
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ok, I do not understand at all.

Who is this 'Jewish representative' and what is he representing and why?

What kind of knowledge do you have to have to meet with this 'Jewish representative'?

I would assume that he would be sent with permission to my area/location with information about Liberal/Reform Judaism.

Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I would assume that he would be sent with permission to my area/location with information about Liberal/Reform Judaism.

Jewish people are not sent out to Gentile communities to share information about Liberal or Reform Judaism. Judaism in general does not recruit converts (although a few will encourage Gentiles to become Noahides).
Unless some group asked for a knowledgable Jewish person or Rabbi to give an overview of Judaism in a classroom atmosphere just for a comparative religion education, there aren't any Jewish representatives who will show up in your area.

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What are you talking about? Like Qnts has already said, Jews are not going to come to you to discuss Judaism or conversion. If you want to know more you have to make the effort to find a congregation or a Rabbi. Is this something you are intereted in? I'm just curious about why you've asked this question.

Upvote 0

ProScribe

May 20, 2008
Granbury,TX
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jewish people are not sent out to Gentile communities to share information about Liberal or Reform Judaism. Judaism in general does not recruit converts (although a few will encourage Gentiles to become Noahides).
Unless some group asked for a knowledgable Jewish person or Rabbi to give an overview of Judaism in a classroom atmosphere just for a comparative religion education, there aren't any Jewish representatives who will show up in your area.

Ok . . so? :cool:

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok . . so? :cool:

So...you were talking about being a knowledgable enough to speak with a Representative of Judaism should they come into your community to invite you to convert. She's telling you that is never going to happen.

Reactions: ChavaK
Upvote 0

ProScribe

May 20, 2008
Granbury,TX
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So...you were talking about being a knowledgable enough to speak with a Representative of Judaism should they come into your community to invite you to convert. She's telling you that is never going to happen.

Understood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Reform congregations have strong traditions and study rabbinic teachings, however, they don't believe the Torah laws are applicable in most cases to the modern era.

The majority of Jews in the United States are liberal.
Interesting to consider...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My understanding is that Reform does not discourage converts as much as
Orthodoxy does, and that the process is much more streamlined.

Indeed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
My rebbe looks at Reform synagogues as basically very good congregations for reaching out to and supporting "Righteous Gentiles" (aka noahides, aka G-d Fearers).
What does he mean by "reaching out to and supporting"?
Is his goal conversion eventually? Or just to give them a place to
daven and a community to be with?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My rebbe looks at Reform synagogues as basically very good congregations for reaching out to and supporting "Righteous Gentiles" (aka noahides, aka G-d Fearers).

It does seem that in alot of Reform Synagouges, there's generally more support for Righteous Gentiles than in other places..some of which outright denoucne anything regarding Noahide laws--but there are alot of Orthodox places that do so as well.

Upvote 0

Gerat_Tzedek

Old Newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Yucaipa, CA
✟7,729.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
What does he mean by "reaching out to and supporting"?
Is his goal conversion eventually? Or just to give them a place to
daven and a community to be with?
Well most human being do need a religious community for support and fellowship. One of the drawbacks of the Noahide movement is that they have had no place to go. Anyhow, sometimes they do convert eventually, and sometimes they don't. Either way is fine.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well most human being do need a religious community for support and fellowship. One of the drawbacks of the Noahide movement is that they have had no place to go. .

Why do you feel that they have no place to go?

Upvote 0