New Jersey
✟335,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For they say things like, I am getting more liberal all the time. This means that they are not taking as seriously what? Christianity or the Bible? This to me is a problem.
When I say I am getting more liberal all the time, I mean that I am becoming more aware of ways in which groups of people can be mistreated in our society, and that I try to change my attitudes, actions, and culture in ways that will reduce this mistreatment.

When I was younger, the Sermon on the Mount made it clear to me that we are to treat our neighbors with care and compassion; this includes our neighbors who cannot repay us, and it includes those neighbors who are our enemies. The application to my treatment of the poor and of foreign nationals was pretty obvious from the beginning. Since then, I've become more aware of other groups who are sometimes mistreated though a lack of power: minority ethnic groups, minority religious groups, women, people with unusual gender expression, and so on. I try to do a better job of loving the neighbors who are different from me. This is what I mean by becoming more liberal.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
so tell me why would a president who has all the money anyone could possibly want ALREADY, want to become president at age 71? the man is not "out for himself", he is genuinely wanting to help the country. also, the key word you used is "media", yes of course the media portrays trump to be entirely awful - BECAUSE the media is hugely liberal bias. dont get your hopes up, the man will never be impeached... pray for him as a decision maker, that he should make the right decisions. it is not your job to decide who is or isn't president by praying for him to be impeached. trump is a human being, he sins, just like us. yes he messed up a couple times by not being perhaps polite. but who hasn't?

For me, being Christian starts with your attitude and your behavior in addition to having core Christian values. Christians are not supposed to be continuing sinners saved by God's grace. That would fall more into the liberal camp of what God's Word says. Christians are supposed to walk uprightly in the Lord as a part of God's grace. The media cannot fake Trump openly insulting people on Twitter repeatedly and on the news. He is a hurtful and vicious man. He is not in any way diplomatic to be a President and that is why he needs to be impeached. You need a President who at least can keep a cool head and think rationally when things are tough. He is also not looking to help the middle class (Which is me and probably you, as well). Why he has not been booted out of office shows the corruption of own government system. I will continue to pray for his impeachment because it is the right thing for me to do as a Christian. I find him to be immoral in his behavior. For his poor attitude is having a bad impact on our young generation of kids today. Children will think it is okay to be bullies like Mr. Trump. Just because he stands behind certain Christian values does not mean Mr. Trump is a Christian. His own dark behavior exposes himself to not being a Christian. 1 John 3:15 says that if you hate your brother, no eternal life abides in you. Jesus says we are to pray and to love our enemies. He is not doing that! He is disobeying our Lord Jesus Christ. He is hateful and bigotted. Even Trump's own wife has decorated the White House for Thanksgiving and Christmas with a predominantly white theme. That to me is crazy. Crazy. It's like the world has gone crazy or something. Why you want to support such Mr. Trump and his die hard followers who are so the exact opposite of being a Christian is beyond me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I say I am getting more liberal all the time, I mean that I am becoming more aware of ways in which groups of people can be mistreated in our society, and that I try to change my attitudes, actions, and culture in ways that will reduce this mistreatment.

No. That is not Liberal thinking but Conservative Thinking because it aligns with the love Jesus Christ wants us to have towards all people. Unless of course you want to say that we should not openly oppose sexuality immorality (with yet being loving and respectful) and we should not openly oppose abortion, etc.

Liberal means being free or loose. Liberty means freedom. So it means you are free from the Traditional or Conservative teachings of the Bible. That is a problem for me.

You said:
When I was younger, the Sermon on the Mount made it clear to me that we are to treat our neighbors with care and compassion; this includes our neighbors who cannot repay us, and it includes those neighbors who are our enemies. The application to my treatment of the poor and of foreign nationals was pretty obvious from the beginning. Since then, I've become more aware of other groups who are sometimes mistreated though a lack of power: minority ethnic groups, minority religious groups, women, people with unusual gender expression, and so on. I try to do a better job of loving the neighbors who are different from me. This is what I mean by becoming more liberal.

But loving your neighbor, no matter who they are is not a liberal teaching but a Biblical and Conservative one. It is an adherance to Conservative Biblical principles. But again, if you say that we should be tolerant of the sins of others whereby they are allowed to shut down Christian business owners, etc. then this is wrong. We also should not openly allow children to be openly exposed to sexual immorality, as well. Bathrooms should not be gender nuetral (Confusing children of the natural order of things). God made them male and female as a part of the creation. So I think there needs to be a healthy balance of loving your enemy and yet not putting up with the sin if it is in your face openly and or it is a sin that is trying to take over that which is good.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know it's hard for you to believe but the Bible does teach that a believer can walk perfectly and upright.

I know it says that. I have never met a single person in my life who does, and I do not believe that any exist. I am certain that when people start harping on sexual judgment, and harping on the lies of others, and quoting the Bible to do it, that they are whitewashed tombs that could not withstand actual exposure of their histories of lies and sexual immorality.

In general, the people who really follow God - and I've known quite a few of those - are pretty quiet and humble and stay out of the judgment and proclaiming business. The loudmouths are always hypocrites, in my experience that is always true, and so therefore when I see the judgment pouring out, I see a disgusting hypocrite, and I am most eager to press him on exactly those issues where I know, from long experience, that he has feet of clay: sex and truth.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I personally think it is wrong to politicise Christianity. There are some aspects which we associate with right wing politics such as on abortion, homosexuality, family values, etc. Then there are some that probably fall more into the left wing camp such as love your neighbour and everyone is born equal.

am more right wing in my politics but rather than think of it as having become more liberal as I get older, I see it as ledd judgemental. For example when I was younger I hated gays (dure to growing up in a gay area and suffering many years of unwanted attention and propositioning from about the age of 10) but God has softend my heart so I now just see them as sinners lost in their sin who need to be saved.

Yeah, actually I do not think following Jesus and being in support of world politics mix. My role in politiics is simply to pray for the best leaders to run our country. To actively get involved is to be a part of the world system - IMO. Nowhere did Jesus and His followers ever encourage us to change the government. Our mission is to preach the gospel, help the poor, love the brethren, and love our enemies, etc.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know it says that. I have never met a single person in my life who does, and I do not believe that any exist. I am certain that when people start harping on sexual judgment, and harping on the lies of others, and quoting the Bible to do it, that they are whitewashed tombs that could not withstand actual exposure of their histories of lies and sexual immorality.

In general, the people who really follow God - and I've known quite a few of those - are pretty quiet and humble and stay out of the judgment and proclaiming business. The loudmouths are always hypocrites, in my experience that is always true, and so therefore when I see the judgment pouring out, I see a disgusting hypocrite, and I am most eager to press him on exactly those issues where I know, from long experience, that he has feet of clay: sex and truth.

You know the Bible says that, but you are you believing it?
Remember, we take God's Word by faith and not by sight.

For I do not think you are God to truly know of everyone on the planet and what they do and what they think. Jesus and Paul encourages us to judge. Granted we are not to condemn. Meaning we should not make it our mission to be hateful and make a list of people's names who are going to hell, etc. I think we do have a right to correct sinful behavior and yet love the sinner. For it is what the Scriptures plainly teach.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Again after reading more comments, I see several knocking Trump and saying he is not a Christian, which I agree is suspect, nevertheless, seeing as how the Republican party has more members that do support what I believe is the Christian teaching is the only reason I voted for him, and would like to see someone else as president. We don't have that choice, but let's look at the other side, would Clinton have been a better choice in this race, the democrats are the ones who support abortion, same sex marriages, and safe harbors for illegals, they dont support the laws of the land, why, seems like for the vote. When one votes for godless principles and then cries conservatives dont, they need to look into the mirror. Each tub sits on its own bottom, I see no one standing up for what is taught in bible on the liberal side of politics. But to conclude, my hope alone is in Jesus Christ, and we are to show love to all, even liberals, but that does not mean that everyone who proclaims the name Christian is one, Jesus said, you shall know them by their fruit.

I didn't vote for either side because I seen both sides as morally bankrupt (And because I want to limit my involvement in the world system). Granted, I do see the blessing of Trump standing behind Christian values, but his own hateful un-Christian attitude is also tearing this country apart and causing problems, too. Mr. Trump is giving Christians a bad name all over again. My prayer is that Trump is impeached and Pence takes office soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, those who say that there is no Conservative position and no Liberal position:

That is just not true. When we talk about Conservative vs. Liberalism, we are talking about how we treat the principles and truths found in the Bible. One is either Conservative with the Bible or they are Liberal with the Bible. Granted, not all Conservatives follow the Bible, and they are worldly, but that does not mean we should not be Conservative with God's Word. Being Conservative with God's Word is the only position a Christian should have. Conservative vs. Liberalism is not some kind of political clone idealogy or anything that calls itself Christian. Being conservative is a method of how one interprets the truths that come from God's Word. it is how we relate and deal with God's Word. That is at the heart of what Conservative vs. Liberalism is all about.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: iwbswiaihl2
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Folks who want to label Jesus as being on one side of the American political aisle or the other probably don't know Him very well.

I agree. Jesus was not Republican or Democrat.
Conservative vs. Liberalism is not the same thing as politics.
Conservative vs. Liberalism relates to how one treats the Word of God.
Are they conservative with the Bible or liberal with the Bible?
Was there really a talking snake in the Garden?
Does Jesus really oppose sexual immorality (and other sins) and yet can we love our enemies, too? Granted, Christians (who are worldly) have stolen the name Conservative and attached it to their idea that they can be involved in politics. But I do not believe God wants us to be involved with the affairs of the world. We can pray for them... "yes"; But to get involved with the way they do things is to think like the world. Believers are to be holy and separate from the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree. Jesus was not Republican or Democrat.
Conservative vs. Liberalism is not the same thing as politics.
Conservative vs. Liberalism relates to how one treats the Word of God.
Are they conservative with the Bible or liberal with the Bible?
Was there really a talking snake in the Garden?
Does Jesus really oppose sexual immorality (and other sins) and yet can we love our enemies, too? Granted, Christians (who are worldly) have stolen the name Conservative and attached it to their idea that they can be involved in politics. But I do not believe God wants us to be involved with the affairs of the world. We can pray for them... "yes"; But to get involves with the way they do things is to think like the world. Believers are to be holy and separate from the world.
The OP was about American political ideology. Let's stay on topic. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know the Bible says that, but you are you believing it?
Remember, we take God's Word by faith and not by sight.

For I do not think you are God to truly know of everyone on the planet and what they do and what they think. Jesus and Paul encourages us to judge. Granted we are not to condemn. Meaning we should not make it our mission to be hateful and make a list of people's names who are going to hell, etc. I think we do have a right to correct sinful behavior and yet love the sinner. For it is what the Scriptures plainly teach.

They also plainly teach the forgiveness of debt, aid for the poor, sick and old, and not divorcing and remarrying.

Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then why do we, in the wealthiest country in the world, have homelessness, hungry people, people crushed by unforgiven debts, and a shabby system of official poverty relief? Why do conservatives generally oppose the sort of comprehensive poverty relief that God spelled out extensively in the Torah, and debt forgiveness that YHWH also spelled out in detail in the Torah, and that Jesus reprised over and over again, even in the Lord's Prayer: "and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors"?

And why do conservatives not condemn the American death penalty, given the number of innocent people that it kills?

And why do American conservatives not decry divorce and remarriage with the same intensity they decry homosexuality?

What I see is that American conservatives strongly support a third of what Jesus propounds, and don't want to have anything to do with the other 2/3rds, because it will redistribute wealth and power, and it will limit sexual liberty in ways that conservatives don't want it limited (to wit: remarriage after divorce).

Someone used the phrase earlier in a post, such a broad stroke, and you have it seems used the broad stroke and assumed that all those homeless and poor people had nothing to do with their poverty or homelessness when if you were to speak to them a lot the homeless and poor do not work and many are alcoholics. I was a policeman and meet quite a few who would say that alcohol got the best of them and cost them dearly in this life. The bible does say that if a man will not work, he won't be able to eat. Helping the down and out is good and needful, there is the reap what you sew effect. And if all liberals that have two cars, why not give one away, downside a home or let one move into the garage would be nice, and would cut down on homelessness. It is easy to give away another persons money and possession and all those millionaires in the liberal party still seem to be millionaires don't they? Obama I noticed a few years back worth over 80 million dollars and his aunt living in the northeast was receiving federal housing. So conservatives are not the only ones who hold on to their money while giving away taxpayer's money to help the poor, wonder if it is why the majority of those people aren't working and say they do not love the USA and 80% vote liberal? Makes one wonder!:scratch:

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
assumed that all those homeless and poor people had nothing to do with their poverty or homelessness
It doesn't matter if they did. God did not say to aid the DESERVING poor. He said to aid the poor. Don't add to what he said for the love of holding onto money: that is really what it's always about, the efforts to evade the aid required to the poor.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The OP was about American political ideology. Let's stay on topic. Thanks.

I can still speak truth of how things are so as to expose deception. Trust in political systems over God never ends well. While it is good we hope that our nation is doing well, only the Lord can bring about change by how we live for Christ and by our prayers. Voting and backing politicians is what the world does. They are looking for a Savior, but we already have one: His name is Jesus Christ. His is our King. He is our President. We are true citizens of the Most High God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They also plainly teach the forgiveness of debt, aid for the poor, sick and old, and not divorcing and remarrying.

Of which I am totally in support of.

Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't vote for either side because I seen both sides as morally bankrupt (And because I want to limit my involvement in the world system). Granted, I do see the blessing of Trump standing behind Christian values, but his own hateful un-Christian attitude is also tearing this country apart and causing problems, too. Mr. Trump is giving Christians a bad name all over again. My prayer is that Trump is impeached and Pence takes office soon.
And I am curious if you saw the country was very happy the last 8 years when Trump was not in office, and that hatred from the left was always demonizing the right. Did you notice all the fires and destruction, what side was doing that? Was that president drawing both parties together? Not from my viewpoint!

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So conservatives are not the only ones who hold on to their money while giving away taxpayer's money to help the poor

No, American conservatives are certainly not the only ones doing it. But they are the only ones who have made a political platform that campaigns on not doing it.

American conservative and liberal Christians both are eager to do, and to enforce, about 1/3 of God's laws and precepts. And they dislike the other 2/3rds.

God said in the Torah to not allege the wrongdoing of others as an excuse for one's own. But Americans do that: they point to the plank in their neighbor's eye, and ignore the plank in their own.

Consider: 2 million abortions, which is to say murders, each year. Conservatives rightly oppose that. But if you outlaw it, you will have 2 million more babies each year, about 1.5 million of whom will be poor. This will mean the need for more schools, more welfare, more poverty relief, on an expanding scale every single year. Conservatives oppose social welfare.

So, put the two things together, and the conservative policy is to insist on the babies to be born...and then to refuse to erect the social programs to prevent them and their mothers from starving, and to oppose the expense of the public schooling for them to be educated.

They're not really following Christ. They're just insisting on one part of it and then ignoring the rest.
Hypocrites.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's good. There's hope that we can get along.

How shall we prevent remarriage after divorce? Or shall we just leave that to individuals.

#1. Live holy (Follow Jesus).
#2. Pray about it (specifically with certain individuals in mind).
#3. Fast for it.
#4. Preach against it.

But we also have to keep in mind that our focus should be to Love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength, and to love our neighbor (i.e. to help the poor). We should focus on preaching the gospel (By loving the spiritual condition of our fellow man), as well.

Upvote 0