Let's do the math and try to get some idea of the scale...?

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,387.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
What incoherence are you talking about exactly...?

(if that was meant for, or is directed at me that is)...?

I'm also just asking you if you could tell me how to improve it maybe...? "other than" taking a technical writing course... and again, if that was directed at me that is...?

God Bless!
Yes, it was directed against you. How to define the incoherence? Your posts make little or no sense. Multiple readings, exploring possible intent, looking for themes, trying to grasp any sense, all this takes time and rarely produces anything tangible.

That is an honest appraisal of your writing. Is my perception unique? I don't know. I do know that all the intuition and experience gained in teaching engineers and Earth scientists how to write clearly and concisely tells me you are doing it wrong.

Since you don't wish to take a technical writing course then try this:

Ask your self this, before you begin writing -
  • Why am I writing this? What do I hope to achieve?
  • Who are my audience? What is their likely attitude to the topic?
  • What is my underlying message?
Write the answers to this, concisely, on a Post It Note and stick that on your screen.

Write a brief summary of your argument and an outline of the evidence in your first paragraph.

Expand that, systematically, in your later paragraphs, paying close attention to the 3 Cs.

Aim to be Clear - Concise - Comprehensive

If you follow those simple rules I might be able to tell whether I agree with you or not.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,387.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
this kind of critique would best be done via PM
You might be right. Of course the same might be said of your intervention. :)

If it were, I would disagree. Presumably you hope that by making your point publicly you may discourage others from making public criticisms of other members that may cause them some pain. That's an honourable objective.

In like manner I would maintain that my suggestions could be valuable to others and that the "shock" of being publicly critiqued may have given Neogaia pause. His response to my initial criticism was positive.

You may argue that my post was off-topic. I would respond that my thesis is that Neogaia's topic is obscure and I would like to help him change that.

I've put words in your mouth here. Please correct them where I got them wrong.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟327,116.00
Faith
Atheist
Why does it appear that we are the center of the universe or the supposed expansion, that is supposedly expanding faster, the further it is "away from us" (with us as the center, ect)...? When we know that can't be true, ect...?

And then, why does it appear that way from "wherever you are in it", ect... Unless the expansion is (much slower) (exactly the speed of light maybe) and is "uniform everywhere", ect...
It's because space itself is expanding, so everything is moving away from everything else (on large scales). Wherever you are you'll see everything moving away from you, and the further away something is, the faster it will be moving away (because there's more space that's expanding between you and far away things than between you and nearby things). Note that the effect is only strong enough to overcome the effects of gravity in intergalactic space.

And why is time relative to the speed of light, or if you were traveling at exactly the speed of light, time would seem to not be happening at all, if it even is actually happening at all, ect, or is not just all "relative" ect...
It's a consequence of the requirement that the laws of physics work the same in all inertial frames and that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant; i.e. special relativity.

Upvote 0