• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Lethal injection is not Biblical.

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Usethepen, Mar 28, 2013.

1. QuiltAngel

QuiltAngel Veteran

+281
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    We could go back to things like stoning and crucifixion then.

2. SolomonVII

SolomonVII Well-Known Member

+4,707
    Canada
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Crucifixion was not Biblical. It was Assyrian and Roman.

Stoning is Biblical. Jesus put severe restrictions on this as a form of lethal punishment.

It is hard to say what exactly it is about lethal injection that the OP objects to. The purpose of lethal injection is to make the punishment all about death, rather than a slow tortuous process with death coming as a final mercy.

3. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,295
    Agnostic
    Single
    Regardless, cruelty even to the guilty is banned by our constitutional system.

4. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+12,971
    Christian
    Married
    Biblical punishments were more swift and harsher. However, the standard of convicting evidence was also more difficult to achieve:

Only multiple eye-witness testimony is biblical to convict--DNA and other evidence types would not be sufficient to convict.

And the penalty for perjury is to be the same as for the crime.

5. lordbt

lordbt $

+934
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Ok. What if we put them in a cage with a bunch of hungry lions then?

6. Creech

Creech Senior Veteran

+234
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    I would definitely support making the death penalty laws less strict. I think that if the criminal is willing to publicly apologize for their terrible actions, then the death penalty should not be an option.

7. Maynard Keenan

Maynard Keenan Well-Known Member

+742
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Let he who is without sin insert the first needle

8. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+5,247
    Atheist
    Single
    Bad idea. Well actually decent idea, but one that has a very serious problem. The guilty can apologize for what they did. The innocent cannot (unless they lie).

There are far too many cases as it is where at parole hearings it is denied because the convicted person refuses to admit their crime. Not surprisingly a fair percentage seem to be the innocent.

9. Rubiks

Rubiks proud libtard

+2,181
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Lethal injection was not around by the time the Bible was written

10. SolomonVII

+4,707
    Canada
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Hypodermic needles or even a good working knowledge of the circulatory system were not around when the Bible was written

11. Usethepen

Usethepen Newbie

+13
    Deist
    Private
    What I'm hearing from most people in the Republican Party,
    is that modernizing the death penalty is OK,
    but modernizing marriage is a bridge too far.

Is that right?

12. SolomonVII

+4,707
    Canada
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Inane rhetoric.
    Different topic altogether.

13. QuiltAngel

QuiltAngel Veteran

+281
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Now, if you want to be strictly Biblical, we all deserve the death penalty. Because Jesus took our sins with him on the cross, defeated the devil and rising on Easter morning, many of us don't receive the death penalty.

14. QuiltAngel

QuiltAngel Veteran

+281
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Actually, it was those who felt that other forms of the death penalty was inhumane. They are the ones who have done things to change the way the death penalty is carried out. I am not sure you can pin it on those in the Republican party.

15. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+5,247
    Atheist
    Single
    I'm not sure the posted objects.

I keep forgetting the name of internet laws but there are a few that say satire of fools is pretty hard to tell from the writing of fools.

My thought is the OP relates to those fools who consider anything not specifically mentioned in Scripture to be 'unbiblical".

In fact I'm almost sure of this. I'm just not sure if the OP is one of those laughing or not.

16. Creech

Creech Senior Veteran

+234
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    That is actually a good point. I should have thought about that more lol

But either way, I do not think we should be so quick to embrace killing another human being.

17. Usethepen

Usethepen Newbie

+13
    Deist
    Private
    OK, the electric chair, the gas chamber, and being shot by firing squad are all not Biblical.

The GOP defends the use of lethal injection, it is their bag.

18. QuiltAngel

QuiltAngel Veteran

+281
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    While the GOP may defend it, I can tell you that the idea of it came out of those who pushed for more humane methods of carrying out the death penalty. These are the same types who support PETA and other such entities. I don't think you can pin the origins of it on any one party, but you could make the case that it came from the liberal side of things.

19. QuiltAngel

QuiltAngel Veteran

+281
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
  20. Usethepen

Usethepen Newbie

+13
    Deist
    Private
    I say lethal injection is worse because it does not shed any blood,
    so people can't tell what their doing is wrong.